PDA

View Full Version : MLS: Setting the Table - Week 9

JDG
05-25-2008, 08:07 PM
* I'm not trying to steal anyone's thunder here. I don't recall seeing this posted last week, so I'm making sure this week. Sorry if you were going to get to it.http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w167/JDeG/Week9.jpg

Daveisonfire
05-25-2008, 08:18 PM
New song:

Are you Earthquakes?
Are you Earthquakes?
Are you Earthquakes in disguise??

Poor guys though...I remember exactly how it feels

Keyman
05-25-2008, 08:27 PM
I hope the Quakes keep on losing. We do hold onto their draft pick, which could place us as high as second in the draft at the end of the year. Wouldn't that be something, if we made the playoffs and had a top three pick :D

Just like I stated after the Ronnie O'Brien trade!

rocker
05-25-2008, 08:29 PM
interesting that RSL finished ahead of TFC last year by inches and they're still near the bottom and TFC is 5th.
guess all those great signings are not paying off yet for RSL................... ;)

Lucky Strike
05-25-2008, 11:52 PM
I like the Wikipedia table better. This one has the tie-breakers wrong. The first tie-breaker is head-to-head points, not goal differential. Use this instead: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008_Major_League_Soccer_season#Overall_standings

Thus, TFC should be 4th, not 5th.

Cashcleaner
05-26-2008, 12:09 AM
^ I had no idea there was a single table put on wikipedia for MLS. Thanks for mentioning it, Lucky.

tfctillidie
05-26-2008, 12:25 AM
we should be 4th but the rule that TFC can't qualify in the Concacaf Champions League through MLS puts LA Galaxy above us even though we beat them on the road

on wiki

Should Toronto FC occupy one of the four berths for the CONCACAF Champions League, then its spot goes to the next best club which is L.A Galaxy, that is why TFC is 5th on JDG's post

etro
05-26-2008, 12:43 AM
I had no idea goal differential wasn't that important.

Cashcleaner
05-26-2008, 01:09 AM
^ And it really should be, given the general amount of parity this league tends to have.

What bothers me more is how away goals don't count as two during the playoffs. I'm sure there is a good reason for it, I'm just not used to it.

werewolf
05-26-2008, 01:11 AM
We really need to keep pace with those top 3 if we are "going to win the league" (as the song goes).

Away goals are shite. like the red bulls.

bdrs
05-26-2008, 08:07 AM
I like the view from fourth or fifth better than the view last year. lol

Oldtimer
05-26-2008, 08:30 AM
^ And it really should be, given the general amount of parity this league tends to have.

What bothers me more is how away goals don't count as two during the playoffs. I'm sure there is a good reason for it, I'm just not used to it.

A lot of leagues don't use the "away goals" rule. It's even controversial in Europe, and there have been calls to scrap it, as it leads to boring first games in home-and-away series.