PDA

View Full Version : Lacrosse at BMO

Ben - D.O.W.
02-10-2009, 08:55 AM
Did anyone else see this? Anyone know if there is any truth to this?

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/LAC.20090210.LACROSSE10/TPStory/Sports

Wagner
02-10-2009, 09:01 AM
Pretty sure it's true.

Don't see this as a bad thing as long as the field isn't marked up for TFC games.

I think it's only like 8 home dates.
So like 8 sunday afternoons in the summer.

sulfur
02-10-2009, 09:05 AM
The "old" thread on it here (http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=9226)

nfitz
02-10-2009, 09:29 AM
Rochester are the league champions - or so I read. It will be interesting to see if like TFC, they avoid BMO field during the Gold Cup.

Ben - D.O.W.
02-10-2009, 09:32 AM
Sorry - my bad, didn't see that the first time around. Thanks Sulfur.

The "old" thread on it here (http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=9226)

boban
02-10-2009, 10:29 AM
Pretty sure it's true.

Don't see this as a bad thing as long as the field isn't marked up for TFC games.

I think it's only like 8 home dates.
So like 8 sunday afternoons in the summer.
Argos would be 10 plus the odd playoff.
Yes the CFL's field is vastly more marked up but
I'm not giving this lacrosse at the NSS a free pass.
Is Lamport not big enough as it has a new pitch and
had some renos done.

TFCREDNWHITE
02-10-2009, 01:14 PM
WTF!?? I just don't get it with these a**holes!?!?

bee dubya
02-10-2009, 01:22 PM
I think that any deal to share BMO's facilities is a bad idea and lessens our chances of seeing real grass. No sir, I don't like it!

Toronto Ruffrider
02-10-2009, 01:27 PM
I think that any deal to share BMO's facilities is a bad idea and lessens our chances of seeing real grass. No sir, I don't like it!

Other SSSs in MLS are shared with lacrosse teams - LA and Chicago? - but your concern is still valid. BMO is a soccer stadium first and foremost, and any other sport must clearly play second fiddle in our domain. I don't want our stadium to get hijacked by any sport.

drewski
02-10-2009, 01:35 PM
Other SSSs in MLS are shared with lacrosse teams - LA and Chicago? - but your concern is still valid. BMO is a soccer stadium first and foremost, and any other sport must clearly play second fiddle in our domain. I don't want our stadium to get hijacked by any sport.

given

1)MLSE owns TFC
2)MLSE runs BMO
3)MLSE doesn't own this new team
4)the Toronto Rock have had their schedules moved around on a moments notice for other MLSE teams
5)the relatively small stature of the MLL and field lacrosse up here

I have no doubt TFC will always be the top priority with regard to BMO.

Toronto Ruffrider
02-10-2009, 01:42 PM
given

1)MLSE owns TFC
2)MLSE runs BMO
3)MLSE doesn't own this new team
4)the Toronto Rock have had their schedules moved around on a moments notice for other MLSE teams
5)the relatively small stature of the MLL and field lacrosse up here

I have no doubt TFC will always be the top priority with regard to BMO.

I think you're right, but it's not a bad idea to air on the side of caution. I think a lot of us are on edge with regard to teams moving to BMO, as we've read too many stories about a certain pointy ball team that wanted to make BMO its home.

mlsintoronto
02-10-2009, 01:59 PM
the big difference with CFL is that it would require massive modifications to BMO Field that would affect our atmosphere. Lacrosse won't do that. And the BMO Field operations guys have found a paint for the turf that is easily taken off. Plus the Lacrosse markings won't change the field and enjoyment of the game the way gridiron does.

Not that I'm happy either....I'm only saying.

Gobi
02-10-2009, 02:21 PM
Other SSSs in MLS are shared with lacrosse teams - LA and Chicago? - but your concern is still valid.

At least those two have grass.

So Paul, can you assure us that TFC will have priority in all matters over the new tenant?

GingerNinja
02-10-2009, 02:21 PM
Lacrosse is our Official National summer sport!

Hitcho
02-10-2009, 02:34 PM
the big difference with CFL is that it would require massive modifications to BMO Field that would affect our atmosphere. Lacrosse won't do that. And the BMO Field operations guys have found a paint for the turf that is easily taken off. Plus the Lacrosse markings won't change the field and enjoyment of the game the way gridiron does.

Not that I'm happy either....I'm only saying.

Oh crap!! You mean this is actually happening?! I was hoping it was just a rumour.

You do realise if there are ANY visible lines on the pitch after the first game you'll have a boatload of seriously pissed off fans giving the club endless grief about it.

If there's no detectable presence, no-one cares. If there is, the hulk brigade will be out in force...

:hulk: :hulk: :hulk:

PS - this is the first bit of crappy news this off season, which is a shame given the run of great news items we've been on with De Ro, Vitti, the draft, a new CB imminenet, etc...

mlsintoronto
02-10-2009, 03:01 PM
Oh crap!! You mean this is actually happening?! I was hoping it was just a rumour.

You do realise if there are ANY visible lines on the pitch after the first game you'll have a boatload of seriously pissed off fans giving the club endless grief about it.

If there's no detectable presence, no-one cares. If there is, the hulk brigade will be out in force...

:hulk: :hulk: :hulk:

PS - this is the first bit of crappy news this off season, which is a shame given the run of great news items we've been on with De Ro, Vitti, the draft, a new CB imminenet, etc...

don't forget this stadium belongs to the tax payer. Toronto FC can't comment on who rents the facility from the city. thats life.

But, Gobi - Toronto FC is the prime tenant at BMO Field.

Jack
02-10-2009, 03:40 PM
Lacrosse can be played on grass. It's got to be less rough on the turf than football.

This should have little to no effect on TFC or on the ability to get grass in there and move the community stuff and bubble to Lamport.

drewski
02-10-2009, 03:50 PM
Lacrosse can be played on grass. It's got to be less rough on the turf than football.

hell, its MEANT to be played on grass.

and ya, it'd be far better on the turf then football. I don't think lax would be any harder on the turf then soccer is.

olegunnar
02-10-2009, 04:08 PM
and that kids is why BMO field doesn't post on SG boards anymore

Pigfynn
02-10-2009, 05:12 PM
IF there are no trace of the lines and really no game day evidence of them being there then I see no real problem. We really should just buy BMO already and be done with it. I understand it's easier said then done, but they'll make their money back if they do. It might take 5-10 yrs, but they would.

Sonny Cheeba
02-10-2009, 05:28 PM
seriously? are people getting sand in their vagina over field lacrosse? you have no reason to.... they're not the Argos, they don't require much. and to me, the more outdoor sports in toronto the better.

i think it's a good idea.
would be a different story if it was american football or rugby where the turf is used to grip and push 200 pound dudes in opposing directions.

doesn't hurt to try.

nfitz
02-10-2009, 06:24 PM
We really should just buy BMO already and be done with it.After a century of the city never being willing to cell any part of the Exhibition grounds, do you really think that they suddenly let someone buy a chunk of it? Not happening. And frankly not a big deal in my mind.

ExiledRed
02-10-2009, 08:32 PM
And the BMO Field operations guys have found a paint for the turf that is easily taken off.

Plus the Lacrosse markings won't change the field and enjoyment of the game the way gridiron does.

If your first point is true, the second shouldn't need to be mentioned.

Does this paint work on natural grass?

egoodwin
02-10-2009, 09:27 PM
here is what we can more or less expect on the pitch:

http://www.lacrosse2.com/images/0000000.jpg

I don't know how wide the out of bounds lines are

and for god sake i hope they don't have any ads on the pitch...

BETTER NOT SEE THIS on BMO's pitch:

http://www.lacrosse2.com/images/nll-game.jpg

fear maybe unfounded though, as the MLL site shows this as a pitch:

http://majorleaguelacrosse.com.ismmedia.com/ISM3/std-content/repos/Top/mll-overview-web-0ct09.jpg

the defensive area box is roughly same size give or take as the football box

Hitcho
02-10-2009, 09:32 PM
don't forget this stadium belongs to the tax payer. Toronto FC can't comment on who rents the facility from the city. thats life.

But, Gobi - Toronto FC is the prime tenant at BMO Field.

Understood, but if TFC is the prime tenant then it's not unreasonable to assume that all other events should be geared around it, and that means no lines on the pitch from other sports. That's a basic commercial premise that any prime tenant would expect, so why should TFC be any different?

I don't think anyone really gives a monkey's about it as long as there's no visual or physical impact on TFC in any event.

pank
02-10-2009, 09:59 PM
First post, hopefully this is good.

As someone who grew up playing lacrosse and being heavily involved in the sport, I think this is a good move. Like Toronto FC, the Toronto Rock have helped increase awareness of their sport since they came into the league over 10 years ago. Despite recent mismanagement and apathy, the team has still helped inspire a new generation of promising young Canadian lacrosse players.

The new field team will be made up of primarily Canadian players who will help our national team for major international tournaments and will hopefully bring in some new fans to see what a beautiful sport lacrosse is while giving an alternative to the Rock until they make necessary changes in management

Before Toronto FC, I really did not care for football and was often dismissive of the players abilities and passion of supporters. My mind was changed as soon as TFC began playing. Hopefully this new field team will enlighten some others, it is really worth checking out, and I really doubt they will mess up the beauty that is BMO Field. Lines are replaced easily in Chicago and Los Angeles and can be done here. It will be great for giving local players a chance to play the field game in there home town, help our national team, and not be disruptive to the great soccer team here. It can only be a positive.

*Also, it will give long suffering Toronto lax fans a chance to see Colin Doyle play where he belongs again. He is basically what to Toronto lax fans what De Ro is to soccer fans.

Hitcho
02-10-2009, 11:29 PM
^ welcome to the boards mate.

appreciate your point of view, but any community benefit from other sports will always, always rank way behind TFC's priorities to me. If this benefits lacrosse then whopp de doo, but if the TO team folded in order to preserve TFC's pitch and integrity then I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.

if the two can co-exist without any impact on the TFC pitch, scheduling (including training) or stadium livery then great. If not, I'm completely against having them there. I know that's selfish and it's a city owned stadium, but I'm a TFC fan first and everything else comes second.

pank
02-11-2009, 12:20 AM
^ welcome to the boards mate.

appreciate your point of view, but any community benefit from other sports will always, always rank way behind TFC's priorities to me. If this benefits lacrosse then whopp de doo, but if the TO team folded in order to preserve TFC's pitch and integrity then I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.

if the two can co-exist without any impact on the TFC pitch, scheduling (including training) or stadium livery then great. If not, I'm completely against having them there. I know that's selfish and it's a city owned stadium, but I'm a TFC fan first and everything else comes second.

Agreed. Since TFC have come to the scene they have become my favourite sports team. I don't want to see anything hinder them, and it is my hope that the two can co-exist with TFC getting priority.

I am really guessing the team will practice in the west end of the city because that is where Stu Brown, one of the investors and I am guessing the coach lives and it will make it easy for the guys who live on Six Nations and places in Niagara and around K-W to practice.

I found it very difficult to watch the games in New York and Salt Lake as the pitches were way too busy. I am sure TFC will make the lines clear for footy.

onemanbarmyarmy
02-11-2009, 06:51 AM
Still with the hockey? Please, lets not go through this. I don't need these lame ass teams stinking up my summer home.

drewski
02-11-2009, 08:05 AM
anybody who is worried about scheduling conflicts just needs to look at the ACC and the Rock. If there is ever a scheduling conflict, even if its last minute, the MLSE owned tenant gets priority, as show last year when the Rock's last game was moved by a day to accommodate a Raptors playoff game.

As for field lines, I hope they have a solution that leaves the field unmarked by the other sports lines too as it can be a bit annoying visually. Hopefully the artificial turf will be as easy to change as the natural field is in LA and Chicago. I don't see why it wouldn't be, my beer league plays inside on fieldturf and the cheap paint we lay down seems to come off by the next week, and we dont' even try to remove it. I imagine the BMO field guys will have access to much better and more easily removable stuff.

and +1 pank, it'll be great to have Doyle back in TO. Hopefully one day Watters will see the light and get rid of Kloepfer and the new guy will bring Colin back (assuming he wants to come back, given he's settled down in Cali full time)

rocker
02-11-2009, 09:13 AM
how can there be a scheduling conflict? TFC's schedule it out.. it's done. all the MLS teams have their skeds set and TFC can't go around changing things.
if this lacrosse comes in, it'll be picking up the scraps of dates.

Hitcho
02-11-2009, 09:32 AM
how can there be a scheduling conflict? TFC's schedule it out.. it's done. all the MLS teams have their skeds set and TFC can't go around changing things.
if this lacrosse comes in, it'll be picking up the scraps of dates.

for matches, yes. but can you say the same thing about training? what about if the players not in the match day sqaud need to train while the rest are off on an away trip? does lacrosse get priority over that? because to me, JC, Winsper et al are running a seriously professional outfit and that includes planning training for players who aren;t in the current away squad but may eb in the next match squad to keep them in shape.

It's pernickity small stuff, I know, but tell that to JC and Winsper who planned out this pre-season to the hour a full year ago.

icecoldbeer
02-11-2009, 09:37 AM
Another article in the Toronto Star today...

Local investors bringing new team to BMO Field
Feb 11, 2009 04:30 AM

MORGAN CAMPBELL < TRADER!

Stuart Brown can't yet reveal the names of the other investors who joined him in buying the Rochester Rattlers of Major League Lacrosse, and bringing the club to Toronto this summer.

Nor is he quite sure how many fans he expects to attract to the team's home games at BMO Field.

And he won't say on the record how much it cost to buy the team, though he did joke that it's "less than an NFL team."

But the Oakville resident and youth lacrosse coach is firm in his assertion that bringing lacrosse to Toronto year-round will boost two national teams.

Brown says his group, composed of local grassroots lacrosse supporters, considered buying a different franchise in MLL, an outdoor league that plays from May through mid-August in cities including Boston, Denver and Chicago.

Click to read more (http://www.thestar.com/Sports/article/585615)

C.Ronaldo
02-11-2009, 09:37 AM
^

this is why they are looking to train outside of the stadium on real grass

Fort York Redcoat
02-11-2009, 10:09 AM
^

this is why they are looking to train outside of the stadium on real grass

Yeah that and most of the players don't want to prctise on the plastic pitch.

drewski
02-11-2009, 10:20 AM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/6/61/PAETEC_Park_overview.JPG/800px-PAETEC_Park_overview.JPG

this is the Rattler's current home shared with the Rhino's of the USL.

Lines are barely noticeable, to the point that if you can notice, you're paying too much attention tot he field and not enough to the game

boban
02-11-2009, 10:23 AM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/6/61/PAETEC_Park_overview.JPG/800px-PAETEC_Park_overview.JPG

this is the Rattler's current home shared with the Rhino's of the USL.

Lines are barely noticeable, to the point that if you can notice, you're paying too much attention tot he field and not enough to the game
Say what you want. You can still them.

Fort York Redcoat
02-11-2009, 10:30 AM
Understood, but if TFC is the prime tenant then it's not unreasonable to assume that all other events should be geared around it, and that means no lines on the pitch from other sports. That's a basic commercial premise that any prime tenant would expect, so why should TFC be any different?

I don't think anyone really gives a monkey's about it as long as there's no visual or physical impact on TFC in any event.

I give many monkey's about this. I don't care if they're a ghost in the night unnoticed at gametime. I'll know my shrine to football has been besmirched. BESMIRCHED!

I played Lacrosse. I hope for all who care they come to Toronto. Go play somewhere else.

nfitz
02-11-2009, 02:03 PM
Say what you want. You can still them.And in the right light, you can see the lines on BMO field left-over from the winter when they divide the pitch. But I'm yet to hear anyone here complain about them.

Dirk Diggler
02-11-2009, 02:12 PM
Say what you want. You can still them.

Those look like football markings to me ... not lacrosse. I think they share they stadium with a highschool football team as well.

boban
02-11-2009, 02:13 PM
And in the right light, you can see the lines on BMO field left-over from the winter when they divide the pitch. But I'm yet to hear anyone here complain about them.
Oh I see them. And I think it looks disgusting.
I have always complained that the field should not be used for community use.

onemanbarmyarmy
02-11-2009, 04:42 PM
I too feel besmirched and hope that those indian (how culturally insensitive, heathens) rubber ball hurling gorillas just stay in the colon of North America: Rochester.

Hitcho
02-11-2009, 05:56 PM
I give many monkey's about this. I don't care if they're a ghost in the night unnoticed at gametime. I'll know my shrine to football has been besmirched. BESMIRCHED!

I played Lacrosse. I hope for all who care they come to Toronto. Go play somewhere else.

Haha, well ok I'm with you on this one too Forts (we're in the same boat on the MLS league set up too I think). I was just being diplomatic.

But yeah, I fucking hate the idea that anyone else ever sits in the BMO Field seats for any reason at all, unless it's the Canadian footie team or the all star game. BMO Field is a temple. I hope one day, when the game has grown exponentially bigger in Canada and the US, that we get a TFC owned, operated and exclusively inhabited SSS. The city can fuck off, the lacrosse teams can fuck off and most of all the pointy ball wankers can fuck right off.

I, too, give many monkeys!

drewski
02-12-2009, 07:15 AM
I too feel besmirched and hope that those indian (how culturally insensitive, heathens) rubber ball hurling gorillas just stay in the colon of North America: Rochester.

thats covers about, oh say...none of the players, who are about as white as you can get ;)

as for the shrine/temple comments, look on the bright side, you're in good company. a number of shrines across the world, including old trafford, have other sports like rugby played on them.

Jack
02-12-2009, 07:51 AM
thats covers about, oh say...none of the players, who are about as white as you can get ;)

as for the shrine/temple comments, look on the bright side, you're in good company. a number of shrines across the world, including old trafford, have other sports like rugby played on them.
Except for the fact is he wasn't referring to whether or not the players were white, but rather that the ball is made of "indian" rubber ;)

drewski
02-12-2009, 08:03 AM
Except for the fact is he wasn't referring to whether or not the players were white, but rather that the ball is made of "indian" rubber ;)

damn brackets and lack of coffee make andrew not read good :o