PDA

View Full Version : Today’s News, Tuesday , Feb.10

denime
02-10-2009, 06:32 AM
Mornin'

Johnston adds punch by luring Argentine striker
Toronto adds Vitti on loan deal with team from Buenos Aires
Daniel Girard

Toronto FC, one of Major League Soccer's lowest-scoring teams last year, has added offensive help.
Argentine Pablo Vitti, 23, was to join the team's training camp in Florida today after Toronto general manager Mo Johnston yesterday announced a loan deal with Independiente of Buenos Aires.
Vitti was most recently on loan to FC Chernomorets Odessa of the Ukrainian Premier League. He has one goal in two games so far this year.

Read more (http://www.thestar.com/Sports/article/584999)

Toronto FC get Argentine Vitti on loan

Toronto FC announced Monday that they have signed Argentine forward Pablo Vitti to a loan deal.
Financial terms and the length of the deal with Vitti, a member of Buenos Aires club Independiente, were not released.
Vitti joins the Major League Soccer outfit from FC Chernomorets Odessa of the Ukrainian Premier League where he was recently on loan.
Toronto had been negotiating with Vitti and Independiente for several weeks.

Read more (http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/story/2009/02/09/tfc-vitti.html)

Footy fodder
Gerry Dobson

What a way to start the week.

The Monday headlines were startling: The LA Galaxy wants $22 million for David Beckham;
Tony Adams gets sacked at Portsmouth;
In a shocker, Luiz Felipe Scolari is dismissed at Chelsea; Later in the day, Toronto FC sign Argentine striker Pablo Vitti on loan.
Where to begin?

Read more (http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/blogs/2009/02/09/dobson_footy_fodder/)

MOONSHINE (http://www.torontosun.com/sunshinegirl/) :hulk:

Chevy
02-10-2009, 07:38 AM
Let's hope Pablo doesn't read the Sun today. Seeing that SSG will keep him in the Ukraine for the next 20 years, not to mention burn his retinas.

On the brighter side, Toronto fudge sales are up 30%. I'm a bastard, I know, but WTF?

scooter
02-10-2009, 07:55 AM
mornin

ssg is getting worse and worse

but we signed vitti so all is well in the world

canny wait fer opening day

Stouffville_RPB
02-10-2009, 07:59 AM
Yeah Vitti!!! Now lets score some goals!

I think the Star and CBC writers were sitting next to each other when they were writing.

How does one go about becoming a SSG? It obviously isn't a very through process. Do the photographers see who they are shooting before the shoot? Or is it just a suprise when they show up to work everyday?

Technorgasm
02-10-2009, 08:53 AM
So does this mean Vitti will pop right into the starting 11?

lone, or strike partner for Barretta / DD?

or is he a depth player that will train and then jump in to cover and injury or hectic parts of the Sched?

so many Questions!

Chant- is there one for Barrett yet?
cuz like. .. . . ther should be one!

something about handguns and killing, or a bond theme or something so we can stick the tag "Barretta" to him permanently, cuz like, its a great handle.

TFC is proof that God wants us to be happy

Technorgasm
02-10-2009, 08:55 AM
SSG:?

Gunt
:Bulging area found on large older women between the waist and the genital area. Not quite a gut, not quite a cunt... The Gunt.
"My sixth grade teacher had a gut like a freakin' innertube! "

Page 3 - your welcome

http://www.page3.com/index2.shtml#main-image

keem-o-sabi
02-10-2009, 09:02 AM
today's coed daily hottie (http://coedmagazine.com/category/girls/daily-snapshot-girls-2/). wtf on the SSG!

Stouffville_RPB
02-10-2009, 09:05 AM
Thank you once again keem-o.

bdiddy
02-10-2009, 09:07 AM
The SSG made me sad inside...

Where is the valium now!

Roogsy
02-10-2009, 09:15 AM
Is it April Fool's yet? It would have to be. That's no Sunshine girl... :eek:

keem-o-sabi
02-10-2009, 09:18 AM
and a bonus from me...the SI Swimsuit ladies (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009_swimsuit/models/)...oh so yummy

BFin
02-10-2009, 09:21 AM
AHAHAHAH WOAH!!!!
WHAT AN SSG, I think she ate Pablo Vitti!!

Since we have gone back down the shitter as far as SSG quality, Iam going to give another ScarJo pic of the day.
http://www.adrants.com/images/026_celeb_scarlett_johansson_006.jpg

Roogsy
02-10-2009, 09:23 AM
^ One of the best photo shoots in 10 years. Awesome.

BFin
02-10-2009, 09:24 AM
^
You of course mean the SSG right :p

Roogsy
02-10-2009, 09:24 AM
Shut yo' mouf! :D

rocker
02-10-2009, 09:52 AM
TFC's success with the supporters groups now imitated by the NE Revolution:

http://web.mlsnet.com/news/mls_news.jsp?ymd=20090209&content_id=216618&vkey=pr_mls&fext=.jsp

C.Ronaldo
02-10-2009, 10:00 AM
So Scholari is looking for a job eh?..........I'd be willing to give him a trial

BFin
02-10-2009, 10:00 AM
^
"The Fort" hahahah what a joke.

olegunnar
02-10-2009, 10:07 AM
TFC's success with the supporters groups now imitated by the NE Revolution:

http://web.mlsnet.com/news/mls_news.jsp?ymd=20090209&content_id=216618&vkey=pr_mls&fext=.jsp

Some people here may take this opportunity to pat themselves on the back, but to me this is an even bigger development than simply a "woo TFC supporters are the best"
This is a shot across the bow of the soccer moms and silver spoon types that kidnapped football/soccer in the US.
Not that they aren't welcome anymore, but you can see the shift in marketting from soccer moms, to young adults.

The $200 Supporter's Season Ticket is part of a larger initiative to engage the team's adult fan base.

"Defend the Fort" campaign, which will kick off on the team's official web site, revolutionsoccer.net, and will soon include a Revolution social network for members and non-members alike, as well as downtown supporters' events at popular social establishments. (ie bars/pubs, no soccer moms and shrieking little girls there).

I really hope the program is successful. For the sake of the long term health of the game at a high level in North America

Super
02-10-2009, 10:21 AM
Great news. Stop marketing the game to soccer moms and kids. The kids grow up and leave the game, whereas a 20+ year-old who is already a fan of the game will stay on till he dies or moves away. AND he has disposable income to spend on jerseys and beer and pretzels.

Mmmmm pretzels

Steve
02-10-2009, 10:29 AM
Great news. Stop marketing the game to soccer moms and kids. The kids grow up and leave the game, whereas a 20+ year-old who is already a fan of the game will stay on till he dies or moves away. AND he has disposable income to spend on jerseys and beer and pretzels.

Mmmmm pretzels

Exactly. You don't get fans for life by marketing to kids (how often do you go to chuck-e-cheeze?). You get fans for life by marketing to young adults. If mostly kids attend games, as those kids grow up, they'll see that mostly kids are there, and tell their parents they're "too old" for soccer now, and they'd rather hang out with their friends.

Conversely, if kids do go to games and see a bunch of young adults there having a good time, they'll want to keep going, and eventually join those crazy 20 somethings. Sure, the soccer mom crowd might not like the atmosphere as much but you'd be building a much more stable base.

olegunnar
02-10-2009, 10:42 AM
Exactly. You don't get fans for life by marketing to kids (how often do you go to chuck-e-cheeze?). You get fans for life by marketing to young adults. If mostly kids attend games, as those kids grow up, they'll see that mostly kids are there, and tell their parents they're "too old" for soccer now, and they'd rather hang out with their friends.

Conversely, if kids do go to games and see a bunch of young adults there having a good time, they'll want to keep going, and eventually join those crazy 20 somethings. Sure, the soccer mom crowd might not like the atmosphere as much but you'd be building a much more stable base.

Also it elevates the perception of the game.

Right now to a lot of North Americans, soccer is a game kids play to stay active. There's no tactics, they just run around and have fun and get their participation ribbons. It's a kids game, it's a family game, it's a hobby/after school kind of thing. Not that there's anything wrong with that, and it's great lots of kids play soccer, but that's not the impression you need if you're going to have a money making adult professional league.

I think if you market it to adults, there's an expectation of quality and competitiveness that's not there if it's a family picnic event on a Saturday afternoon.

Our entertainment budget $$ deserves quality. So once that expecation is set, then the impression of the game will have to improve. From a participaction event for kids, to a skilled and technical sporting event for elite athletes.

rocker
02-10-2009, 10:47 AM
This was one of my criticisms of Joey Saputo's comments about not gettin into MLS. He complained that if he went into MLS, he would have to raise ticket prices and that would force out "families" from Impact games. This is also the reason I don't think he's thinking of revenue streams with his low budget renovation plan for his stadium. He has that "family mindset".

The problem is most families aren't going to go to 15-20 games a season. I don't have a family of my own and even I can't sometimes make it to all games.
Also, if you market to families you are getting fewer individual fan units into the stadium. If you direct at adult singles you might get more individual units into the stadium.. this provides a cushion against economic problems.

Fort York Redcoat
02-10-2009, 10:51 AM
So we REALLY got Vitti, DeRo.

Another CB and I'll be well pleased.

This is by far the best off season in our short history.

Oblio2
02-10-2009, 01:18 PM
That sunshine "girl" is a troll.
Im sure she's taping up a package....she could also star in "Little people, Big World"...and whats with the curves?
Im gonnapuke

rocktml
02-10-2009, 01:28 PM
SSG made me hard

BFin
02-10-2009, 02:50 PM
SSG made it hard to finish

Fixed!!

Damien
02-10-2009, 06:09 PM
SSG made me hard

You mean like Rigor Mortis?

Super
02-10-2009, 06:44 PM
I've often noticed that kids seem terribly bored when at a football game in the MLS. I remember once in Columbus we had a whole bunch of kids right next to us, and they were BY FAR more interested in the wierd antics of us, the TFC supporters, than the game itself. It irritated me. As if we were there to amuse and entertain these punk kids. Fucking disgusting disgrace to me and an insult to the sport I love.

The parents seemed even less interested in the game. They sit there and chat and completely miss good passes or exciting moments of the game itself. Sure, they'll stand up and clap a couple times, trying not to spill the popcorn, when a goal is scored.

I had to pinch myself to make sure I hadn't died and ended up in football purgatory.

Sorry for being so negative, but when I go to a game it's religious in nature for me, and if people around me care nothing about the event I'd rather they fuck off.