PDA

View Full Version : Today’s News, Monday , Feb.09

denime
02-09-2009, 06:29 AM
Mornin'

Richardson joins Toronto FC in Bradenton, Florida
Following one week of hectic fitness training in Miami under the expert eyes of Professional American Fitness trainer Tony Dees and Bill Adams of the Bill Adams Tennis Academy, Gregory ‘Jackie Chan’ Richardson who is aiming to become the first Guyanese footballer to win a Major League Soccer (MLS) contract has left for Florida to make his dream a reality.

Read more (http://www.kaieteurnews.com/2009/02/08/richardson-joins-toronto-fc-in-bradenton-florida/)

Canada struggles at soccer because of its style of play :noidea:
By GARETH WHEELER (gareth.wheeler@suntv.canoe.ca)

Many questions have been asked over the years across Canada as to why we can't win in soccer.
The usual excuses of lack of funding, apathy, the governing body and climate are typical answers.
The reason Canada doesn't find consistent success internationally is because there is no defined Canadian way of playing soccer.

Read more (http://www.torontosun.com/sports/soccer/2009/02/09/8317246-sun.html)

Toronto FC's Wynne named to U.S. national team

Toronto FC defender Marvell Wynne was named Sunday to the United States national soccer team ahead of the Americans' crucial World Cup qualifying contest against Mexico.
Wynne and the U.S. will host the Mexicans in the opening match of the final round of the CONCACAF qualifiers on Wednesday in Columbus, Ohio.

Read more (http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/story/2009/02/08/marvell-wynne.html)

SUNSHINE (http://www.torontosun.com/sunshinegirl/)

The Kingpin
02-09-2009, 07:10 AM
I'm not sure if Mr. Wheeler follows the "Italian Style" of football, but that would be a minimal transition. The Italian style doesn't seem to be a harbinger for highly creative football in any way. they are quite successful on the international stage due to their methodical and suffocating approach to the game in general. This annotation on the sociological aspect of the game is a bit unfounded and weak, but there is a sparkle of wisdom in there. Though I feel Mr. Wheeler stumbled on something by accident, it seems that there is very little external influence. The same could be said for the English game and it took consecutive foreign hirings to cement the fact.

Ultimately, are we saying that Canada simply doesn't have the ability to create our own way? Do we need to adopt another style or can we create one of our own? Canada has been successful on the world stage with it's multicultural policy, could we do the same in the Footballing world? I bet somewhere there are answers to these questions...

Just some morning musings....

Fort York Redcoat
02-09-2009, 08:50 AM
I think it's a tough sell difining a National style when the nation plays barely a handful of games a year and has one top level club. Not that we can't do it I just think that to start thinking of Canada as a world footballing nation with a particular style is getting ahead of ourselves.

As for adopting any style from another country based on its success, I'm all for it because there will a Canadian version of whatever style we adopt. We'll find our identity on the way. I hope we can focus on improvement first and then worry about if it's the "right style" for us.

BFin
02-09-2009, 09:24 AM
I highly doubt it is our style of play that has kept us away from any sort of World Cup success. Might it be the dropoff in talent against other countries? The lack of funding for our teams? The fact that our teams don't play friendlies before tournaments? I would say our bigger problem is a lack of caring.

Why does every SSG have to have a tramp stamp? She looks like a convict with that thing.

tlear
02-09-2009, 09:42 AM
We need Otto Renhagel V2.0 or someone simillar
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Otto_Rehhagel)

Damien
02-09-2009, 09:49 AM
Ultimately, are we saying that Canada simply doesn't have the ability to create our own way? Do we need to adopt another style or can we create one of our own? Canada has been successful on the world stage with it's multicultural policy, could we do the same in the Footballing world? I bet somewhere there are answers to these questions...

True. Why not use a collection of ideas to create a master formation?

rocker
02-09-2009, 10:26 AM
you can't develop a unique style when you barely play any prep games. instead, i think that the team is a mess because they don't play enough to have an identity. You toss a bunch of guys together and hope something works.

i also think Mitchell is just a shit coach who doesn't know what style he wants to play. At the Gold Cup under Hart, the team had this beautiful flowing style. But when Mitchell coaches everything looks so plain and boring.

Toronto Ruffrider
02-09-2009, 10:39 AM
Our style of play hasn't helped us over the last year and a half, but it is only one problem out of many that hinders our World Cup aspirations. The CSA, poor coaching, lack of friendlies, the CSA, playing in front of hostile crowds, and the CSA are all reasons why Canada hasn't excelled at the world stage. There is no quick-fix solution to Canadian soccer, and it will take years of progressive change to bring our national teams up to the global standard.

As for Wheeler's article, his discussion on negative tactics was interesting, but he comes across as being contradictory. If a change in tactics is so important to Wheeler, then why doesn't he see a coaching change as being equally important? Dale Mitchell's tactics leave a lot to be desired, and Wheeler underestimates the negative influence that Mitchell had on our U-20s and currently has on our senior team.

Bdking2
02-09-2009, 10:44 AM
I was reading on dichio's twitter that they beat the us mens u-20 team yesterday. Any one have any info about who played or who scored?

greatwhitenorf
02-09-2009, 10:50 AM
The article brings up some good points for discussion, but overlooks a couple of important moments in recent Canadian soccer history.

IIRC, Canada rode a hot goalie, ten men named Moe and Holger Osieck's fairly pedestrian, defense-first tactics to a Gold Cup championship in 2000.

Then the CSA let coaching old boy Stephen Hart run the squad in the last World Cup and we saw our team play with some real flair and dash, both collectively and individually, robbed of another final appearance ony by atrocious, or even corrupt, officiating. I know Hart is from Trinidad, but he's been in Canada for almost three decades and well established in the CSA coaching hierarchy.

Pachuco
02-09-2009, 10:55 AM
So according to the Gregory Richardson article he was going to play yesterday against the US U20. I wonder if he played and whether he scored.

Jay P
02-09-2009, 11:23 AM
Brendan from the Hardcore footy show just msg me that Mo Edu will be on the show today.. check it out!

Super
02-09-2009, 11:59 AM
According to the article, Richardson is scheduled to play his first game for TFC today against the US U-21 team.

I'm very excited about this guy since I saw him destroy New England with 3 goals and 1 assist. Looks like a guy with a lot of promise. Hope he turns out.

TrNNyrwRW5g

Ageroo
02-09-2009, 12:14 PM
Since I am of guyanese decent...I have a bit of a soft spot for the guy......here is a little bit more background on him...

http://guyanaff.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=126&Itemid=1

pekduck
02-09-2009, 12:28 PM
okay Adrian... use your Guyanese connections to make him a landed immigrant in TO to save an international spot... or show him the hood

Ageroo
02-09-2009, 12:32 PM
okay Adrian... use your Guyanese connections to make him a landed immigrant in TO to save an international spot... or show him the hood

With the amount of Guyanese in this city I am pretty sure he has a relative here already...maybe they can adopt him......:D

scooter
02-09-2009, 12:34 PM
mornin all

style---holy shite--- how about we play first

Shway
02-09-2009, 12:34 PM

or.....show.....him.......the......hood......hmmmm m:o
pretty stereotypical i might say, and thats me being nice:noidea:

Ageroo
02-09-2009, 12:47 PM
or.....show.....him.......the......hood......hmmmm m:o
pretty stereotypical i might say, and thats me being nice:noidea:

I'll take him to Calypso Hut for lunch......have him hang with tha homies!

Shway
02-09-2009, 01:01 PM
lol, yea i wonder if Richardson is from GT, prolly

Technorgasm
02-09-2009, 02:12 PM
YES! ROICHARDSON!
I support this intrest 100%
better us then our enemies!

Plus wtih a 'Guy' on the squad maybe we will get some Guyanese food at BMO?
oh god please yes!

Ageroo
02-09-2009, 02:20 PM
YES! ROICHARDSON!
I support this intrest 100%
better us then our enemies!

Plus wtih a 'Guy' on the squad maybe we will get some Guyanese food at BMO?
oh god please yes!

Him and DeRo can put together a menu for the chefs......:D

Joe Kool
02-09-2009, 02:24 PM
Him and DeRo can put together a menu for the chefs......:D

I would buy some polourie, plaintain and potato ball. Maybe even some Channa curry and roti since DeRo is vegetarian.

Ageroo
02-09-2009, 02:25 PM
I would buy some polourie, plaintain and potato ball. Maybe even some Channa curry and roti since DeRo is vegetarian.

haha.........you are making me hungry dude......

rocker
02-09-2009, 02:27 PM
DeRo is vegetarian.

i did not know this.. interesting.

Joe Kool
02-09-2009, 02:57 PM
i did not know this.. interesting.

From what I can remember he was full fledged vegetarian but has since added fish back into his diet on recommendation from Houston's training staff. He talks about it a bit on TFC TV's "Getting to know DeRo" segment.