PDA

View Full Version : Beckham - 50th Highest paid footie player in the world

Razcle
02-07-2009, 03:12 PM
Almost half of football's top 50 earners play for clubs in the Premier League, according to a study by Portuguese magazine Futebol Finance. And David Beckham rounds out the list as the only representative from MLS at €4.5M

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/leagues/premierleague/4537364/Zlatan-Ibrahimovic-and-Kaka-pip-Premier-League-stars-in-football-wages-list.html

There are some players on here I have never heard of. They must be pretty damn good to be making so much coin from their clubs.

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
02-07-2009, 03:26 PM
Whats freddy ljungberg making in Seattle??

BFin
02-07-2009, 03:35 PM
$2.5 million USD

nascarguy
02-07-2009, 05:17 PM
I think David Beckham is over paid by $2m

brad
02-07-2009, 05:20 PM
I think David Beckham is over paid by $2m

Doesn't most of that come from other sources though (like sponsorships)? I seem to remember him making around 25 million/year

Pachuco
02-07-2009, 05:26 PM
Doesn't most of that come from other sources though (like sponsorships)? I seem to remember him making around 25 million/year

He makes $50million /year with endorsements and stuff. He was estimated to make $250 Million in 5 years.

nascarguy
02-07-2009, 05:34 PM
I think la is hold out for a big pay day I think they want the money that his name was going to bring to the team.

I think he was estimated to make $50 Million for a 4 year deal that does not count the endorsements and stuff.

Keegan
02-08-2009, 12:28 AM
Almost half of football's top 50 earners play for clubs in the Premier League, according to a study by Portuguese magazine Futebol Finance. And David Beckham rounds out the list as the only representative from MLS at €4.5M

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/leagues/premierleague/4537364/Zlatan-Ibrahimovic-and-Kaka-pip-Premier-League-stars-in-football-wages-list.html

There are some players on here I have never heard of. They must be pretty damn good to be making so much coin from their clubs.

Who from that list have you never heard of? They are all huge name players :noidea:

Oblio2
02-08-2009, 12:38 AM
When you think about it, their salaries are smaller than Basketball and Baseball players....weird

Super
02-08-2009, 05:05 AM
When you think about it, their salaries are smaller than Basketball and Baseball players....weird

Seems wierd at first, but then you factor in geography and the fact that England and Italy is nowhere near the market the US is - even in our current economic climate. The NBA is huge in a market of 300+ million people. And of course baseball is equally huge, and they even play daily during their season.

However, factor in all of the football leagues, and the player salaries, and combined we'd fucking rule this planet. :D

Razcle
02-08-2009, 06:07 PM
Who from that list have you never heard of? They are all huge name players :noidea:

Frederic Kanouté
Sidney Govou
Juninho Pernanbucano

I just figured I would recognize all the names on the list since they should be the best players in the world.

AL-MO
02-08-2009, 06:17 PM

Seems wierd at first, but then you factor in geography and the fact that England and Italy is nowhere near the market the US is - even in our current economic climate. The NBA is huge in a market of 300+ million people. And of course baseball is equally huge, and they even play daily during their season.

However, factor in all of the football leagues, and the player salaries, and combined we'd fucking rule this planet. :D

I was going to say the same thing. These guys are paid chump change compared to top MLB/NBA/NFL players!

$27 mil for AROD?!? :p

Parkdale
02-08-2009, 06:25 PM
interesting that Sagnol makes a bit more than Ribery.

Even when you work in the Euro-USD conversion, those prices seem almost reasonable compared to the major US sports.

GeorgeB
02-08-2009, 06:29 PM
interesting that Sagnol makes a bit more than Ribery.

Even when you work in the Euro-USD conversion, those prices seem almost reasonable compared to the major US sports.Sagnol retired last week btw.hasnt played in over a year due to injuries.however ,if you play fifa 09 and use Bayern he is in the reserve squad.;)

torontocelt
02-08-2009, 06:50 PM
Frederic Kanouté
Sidney Govou
Juninho Pernanbucano

I just figured I would recognize all the names on the list since they should be the best players in the world.

Each of these players have had impressive careers and have accomplished a lot. The money they are getting paid can be justified in that they have made great contributions to their clubs.

Kanoute has played for West Ham and Spurs in the Premiership a few years ago. He is also well known is La Liga where he has surprised many with his impressive goal per game ratio. He always looked decent in the premiership but he is prolific in Spain having scored 49 goals in 113 matches for Sevilla. If you can score that amount in a league like that then you deserve all the money you can get. He plays for Mali internationally so might not be so well known on that stage to some unless you enjoy watching he African Nation cups. He is also quite famous for being a muslim who covered up his Sevilla shirt sponsor due to the fact that it promotted betting.

Sidney Govou has played at Lyon for 10 years and it is his only club. He has played countless champions league games in some Lyon teams that were very impressive at times. He also has 37 caps for France which is impressive considering the amount of talent they have had.

If you have never heard about Juninho then you should definitely check him out as at his best he was a fantastic talent. Again he plays for Lyon and he has awesome skill and unbelieable free kicks. He is quite old and is nearing the end of his career but Lyon would have tied him up on a big contract a few seasons ago as he would have been in big demand from other clubs. He is also a Brazil internationist with 44 caps or so and he has played at the highest level in the champions league. He was quite unlucky with Brazil in that he has some crazy competion in his way in that squad.

Keegan
02-08-2009, 06:51 PM
Frederic Kanouté
Sidney Govou
Juninho Pernanbucano

Govou is a french national team player, probably havent heard of him if you dont follow the Champions League or french league.
Juninho is arguably the best free kick taker in the world, playing in the champs league and such you probably havent heard of him just like Govou because he plays in the french league or you dont see his team play much in the champs league.
Kanoute has been a star for Sevilla for a while, two UEFA cups in a row. Overpayed for sure but still a big name player

akoto
02-09-2009, 08:43 AM

LOL. I was just thinking the same thing. This is a who's who of footballers.

ACSertL
02-09-2009, 09:17 AM
I do believe Zlatan has a clause in his contract in which he gets paid out after every time someone says "How in God's name did he do that".

Pachuco
02-09-2009, 10:31 AM
LOL. I was just thinking the same thing. This is a who's who of footballers.

Not really, I could see why people may not have heard of players who play in the French league and barely make an impact on their national team. I mean, Juninho has been touted for ever as the worlds best free kick taker and I've rarely seen him play for Brazil at a national level. These guys aren't really all that huge unless you follow the french league.