PDA

View Full Version : Today’s News, Friday , Feb.06

denime
02-06-2009, 07:02 AM
Mornin'

Carver pleased with fitness
Players have responded well during first week

Toronto FC coach John Carver has been pleased with the performance of the players in the first week of preseason training. "We've got the results back from the fitness testing we did on the first day and everybody is within the targets that we set them," said Carver.

Read more (http://toronto.fc.mlsnet.com/news/team_news.jsp?ymd=20090205&content_id=215904&vkey=news_t280&fext=.jsp&team=t280)

De Ro supports Easter Seals
Reds star attends celebrity fundraising dinner

Toronto FC star Dwayne De Rosario was helping to raise money in support of Easter Seals kids when he attended the Conn Smythe Sports Celebrities Dinner and Auction at Metro Toronto Convention Centre on Wednesday night. De Ro joined other sporting celebrities for the fundraising event.

Read more (http://toronto.fc.mlsnet.com/news/team_news.jsp?ymd=20090205&content_id=215817&vkey=news_t280&fext=.jsp&team=t280)

Barrett looks for success in '09
Striker believes team is much stronger

Toronto FC striker Chad Barrett hopes 2009 will be a year of success for him and the team. Barrett is aiming to help drive the Reds towards the playoffs by reaching double figures for the first time in his MLS career. Last season Barrett scored nine MLS goals including five for Chicago Fire and four following his move to Toronto in late July.

Read more (http://toronto.fc.mlsnet.com/news/team_news.jsp?ymd=20090205&content_id=215810&vkey=news_t280&fext=.jsp&team=t280)

Winning start for Academy
Senior team beats York University

Toronto FC's Senior Academy team came out on top in a rollercoaster first match of the 2009 season. James Stamopolus scored a last minute winner to give the Reds a 5-4 victory over York University at BMO Field. TFC conceded in the first minute but drew level in the 10th minute from a volley by central midfielder Brennan McNicoll. The team started to regain confidence and shortly after scored another goal after a good work initially by Andre Verdugo who played in James Stamopolous for a neat finish. The Senior Academy then conceded three consecutive goals. Two came from corner kicks where the physical presence of the York University players made a huge difference.

Read More (http://toronto.fc.mlsnet.com/news/team_news.jsp?ymd=20090205&content_id=215812&vkey=news_t280&fext=.jsp&team=t280)

`MILESTONE' HIRING
Coach gives Canada winning attitude
Morace aiming to rocket national women's team up to medal contention
Daniel Girard

Canadian soccer has scored big, netting a former Italian star to coach its women's team and help in its bid to host the 2015 World Cup.
Calling it "a very significant milestone in the development of women's soccer in our country," Peter Montopoli of the Canadian Soccer Association yesterday announced the hiring of Carolina Morace.

Read more (http://www.thestar.com/Sports/article/583219)

UEFA troubled by Beckham's loan
THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

LONDON -- UEFA president Michel Platini is investigating how the loan system works in light of David Beckham's move to AC Milan.

The England midfielder has expressed a desire to leave the Los Angeles Galaxy of Major League Soccer and stay in Italy when his three-month deal expires in March. The head of European soccer's ruling body is concerned about the nature of the original move.

read more (http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/2009/02/05/uefa_beckham/)

SUNSHINE (http://www.torontosun.com/sunshinegirl/)

BuSaPuNk
02-06-2009, 07:07 AM
Morning D! Great news for the Womens national team...now hopefully they can sack Mitchell and replace him too. Also good to see UEFA looking at the loan system....doesn't work sometimes. We all seen this coming when they announced that Becks was going to Milan in the first place but this is the situation that bugs me with all players lately. They have too much power, and there contract means nothing. No loyality anymore.

felipe
02-06-2009, 08:38 AM
Thanks D. I love the story on the academy team. I hope they keep the academy reports coming all year.

Oldtimer
02-06-2009, 08:42 AM
Too bad we didn't have an Italian coach for the CMNT. Or a decent Canadian, for that matter.

Technorgasm
02-06-2009, 08:57 AM
I have to admit, my expectations for BArrett, were VERY low when he came here.

After seeing him on the pitch and in th team, they are slightly higher.

He has got to be closer to the lads this year, and with better understanding, comes better results. either as a strike partner or themain man, we have a good thing in Chad.

We dig the Chad.

BUt. . . new life up front and a nice CB must still be on the shopping list.

Come on MI havent seen him at SPICE ROUTE for a while now. . what?
No new players to show round Tdot with your bevvy of ladies and bottle service?
for shame!

keem-o-sabi
02-06-2009, 08:58 AM
coed (http://coedmagazine.com/category/girls/daily-snapshot-girls-2/) daily hottie

canadian_bhoy
02-06-2009, 09:04 AM
Too bad we didn't have an Italian coach for the CMNT. Or a decent Canadian, for that matter.

I get the impression that the CSA cares more about the womens program than the mens.

scooter
02-06-2009, 09:07 AM
mornin all
news gets better every day

I_AM_CANADIAN
02-06-2009, 09:34 AM
Regarding the story about Beckham, Platini is a moron. A complete moron. Does he not know what a loan deal is? They're a well-established part of football at all levels, he's just a c*nt with a vendetta against certain countries, he doesn't want to see Italian and English clubs do well in Europe, and he knows there's no way a player of Beckham's calibre would go on loan at a French club, and it makes his blood boil.

Fort York Redcoat
02-06-2009, 09:48 AM
I get the impression that the CSA cares more about the womens program than the mens.

Rtards think the womens higher ranking gives them a better success story.:rolleyes: dream on.

Regarding the story about Beckham, Platini is a moron. A complete moron. Does he not know what a loan deal is? They're a well-established part of football at all levels, he's just a c*nt with a vendetta against certain countries, he doesn't want to see Italian and English clubs do well in Europe, and he knows there's no way a player of Beckham's calibre would go on loan at a French club, and it makes his blood boil.

Platini- Ou est la camera?

canadian_bhoy
02-06-2009, 10:00 AM
Rtards think the womens higher ranking gives them a better success story.:rolleyes: dream on.

Yeah - why focus on the team that can qualify for the single largest sporting event in the whole fu*king world and make that your top priority?

The participaction attitude of the CSA makes me want to puke.

Fort York Redcoat
02-06-2009, 10:08 AM
Yeah - why focus on the team that can qualify for the single largest sporting event in the whole fu*king world and make that your top priority?

Even more immediate why ride the wave of records amount of Canadians supporting their team at games when you can inspire more girls to play at the amateur levels?

No vision for the game. No business sense. WTF are they about?

Arnie Knows
02-06-2009, 10:49 AM

I hear U .. Its very SAD

akoto
02-06-2009, 11:03 AM
Does anyone know if Lombardo played for York?

martina
02-06-2009, 11:28 AM
[quote=Fort York Redcoat;362225]Rtards think the womens higher ranking gives them a better success story.:rolleyes: dream on.

OK I don't usually speak up on the board, but I have to say that comments like this somewhat get under my skin. I do realize that I am bit biased since I did play university soccer and watched the women's team get scraps while the school endorsed them every single men's team... I could go on about it, but this is not the place.

Why is it that we are not happy that canadian team is getting a positive boost, even if it is the women's team, who indeed have been successful in the past. I am also not denying that CSA could do a way better job with the men's team, but the fact that this is at the highest level that a women can play at and playing at a professional level are slim to none, then yes, I am very happy to see that they are investing something in canadian soccer. They have a long way to go, but I will be very happy to see the women's team compete with the best countries. :canada:

Fort York Redcoat
02-06-2009, 11:29 AM
Does anyone know if Lombardo played for York?

I'd be surprised if he's not finished with York after that debacle of his getting kicked out of their team being inelegible and all.

deltox
02-06-2009, 11:37 AM
He has also played 4 games for the York University (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/York_University) soccer team. However it is illegal for university teams to use former pro players. All 4 games were overturned into losses and he no longer plays there.

Fort York Redcoat
02-06-2009, 11:48 AM
[quote=Fort York Redcoat;362225]Rtards think the womens higher ranking gives them a better success story.:rolleyes: dream on.

OK I don't usually speak up on the board, but I have to say that comments like this somewhat get under my skin. I do realize that I am bit biased since I did play university soccer and watched the women's team get scraps while the school endorsed them every single men's team... I could go on about it, but this is not the place.

Why is it that we are not happy that canadian team is getting a positive boost, even if it is the women's team, who indeed have been successful in the past. I am also not denying that CSA could do a way better job with the men's team, but the fact that this is at the highest level that a women can play at and playing at a professional level are slim to none, then yes, I am very happy to see that they are investing something in canadian soccer. They have a long way to go, but I will be very happy to see the women's team compete with the best countries. :canada:

It wasn't intended as derogatory to women or the team but the CSA in looking at what was an easier fix for their reputation. They swallowed Frank Yallop's contract and now Mitchell is paid for 2 or 3 more yrs regardless and their next coach will have to be paid more than both combined for any sense of improvement.

I'm Red and White. Good luck to the girls but the guys are a gold (cup) mine that are being squandered.

oxygenatedbrain
02-06-2009, 01:05 PM
He has also played 4 games for the York University (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/York_University) soccer team. However it is illegal for university teams to use former pro players. All 4 games were overturned into losses and he no longer plays there.

He was illegal because less than 12 months had passed since his last professional appearance, April 5th at RFK stadium.

I don't know whether he's going to play next year, but I believe he'll be eligible April 6th.

massive_magpie
02-06-2009, 01:29 PM

I actually had the exact opposite experience where a Student Athlete 'Equality' rule required 60% of all athletes (at the varsity level) be female; this forced the men's soccer team out of varsity standing, and removed our funding/league status (University of Ottawa).

There is a point that needs to be brought up, and I'll try to do it in an unbiased manner:

As Canadians (and I personally agree with this), it is expected that everything is equal including funding for sports teams (so for all the funding the CSA gets from the government, and ignoring the fact that there are 3 men's teams and 2 women's teams at the national level, 50% goes to the women’s teams and 50% goes to the men's teams). This budget amount, when compared to other (men's) national team budgets, is extremely small. We've highlighted this as an issue, and I think everybody agrees we need more funding.

What happens then if our funding get's drastically increase; say 400% or $48 million? This would probably make us an average men's national team when comparing budgets, but if we had an equal funding increase with the women's team, wouldn't their budget go up to $48 million as well? How would this compare to other women's national team budgets? My guess is we'd instantly have the highest budgeted women's national team.

Does this make sense?

Roogsy
02-06-2009, 01:36 PM
No it does not.

An arbitrary number assigned to women's programs (which 50% is...) does not make sense.

All programs, when they are at the professional level (we are NOT talking about amateur sports which is a whole different topic), should do away with this ridiculous "rule". It should be based on market and revenue potential. If the men pull in 75% of the revenue, then 75% of the funding should go to them. Anything less is pandering and a misuse of money.

If I were a sponsor, I certainly wouldn't want my money used that way.

boban
02-06-2009, 02:01 PM
Why do you waste board space with useless comments like these.
Platini played in the Italian Serie A and is a legend for Juve.
Don't shoot the messenger. He does have a valid point.

denime
02-06-2009, 02:39 PM
Why do you waste board space with useless comments like these.
Platini played in the Italian Serie A and is a legend for Juve.
Don't shoot the messenger. He does have a valid point.

:iagree:

Valid point indeed.

"My problem is not Beckham, it's Milan buying a player for three months," Platini said Thursday. "Why then could they not buy a player for one game, for the final?

"You buy five players for the final. We have to look at it."

Toronto Ruffrider
02-06-2009, 02:50 PM
No it does not.

An arbitrary number assigned to women's programs (which 50% is...) does not make sense.

All programs, when they are at the professional level (we are NOT talking about amateur sports which is a whole different topic), should do away with this ridiculous "rule". It should be based on market and revenue potential. If the men pull in 75% of the revenue, then 75% of the funding should go to them. Anything less is pandering and a misuse of money.

Absolutely. The MNT has tremendous untapped potential. If the men's team made it to the World Cup, for example, the prize money awarded to the CSA would be minimum $10 million. Combined with increased sponsorship, merchandising and TV revenue, and the MNT could become a cash cow that provides a lot of funding for all of our national teams.

Beach_Red
02-06-2009, 02:53 PM

If I were a sponsor right now I'd be spending my money on the women's team....

Hitcho
02-06-2009, 03:20 PM
Maybe the italian chick and Mitchell should swap jobs?

I think that would keep everyone happy!!!

Fort York Redcoat
02-06-2009, 03:23 PM
Except every girl in the country.

Especially the chicks.

Hitch, hitch, hitch...:nono:

canadian_bhoy
02-06-2009, 03:47 PM
No it does not.

I agree. A disproportionate amount of funding MUST go to the team (Male or female) that is going to bring in the most amount of revenue. That revenue then fuels the other programs.

Look at the University of Michigan. Their athletic focus is primarily their football team. But that football team brings in the money that builds the swimming pools, arenas, gyms, training facilities and generates revenue that pays for the budgets of other sports.

Unfortunatley, it's not the way things are run here. U of T introduced equalized funding for sports in the early 90's. It led the football teams fall from Vanier cup champions in 1993, to the team holding the longest losing streak in Canadian football history.

If the canadian mens Soccer team had money and resources put into it, maybe they would compete at a more consistent level. Maybe they would attract friendlies with the top teams in the world that would justify higher ticket prices. Maybe we would qualify for the world cup and maybe even win a few games. Maybe because of that we would get huge advertising dollars and increased revenues.

Point being - If they can maximize revenue for the top team (male or female) then a 70% - 30% funding model may provide more money to BOTH teams than a 50% - 50% model

Razcle
02-06-2009, 11:44 PM
Reading's Bobby Convey was released from his contract with the club today making his return to the MLS much more likely with suitors Earthqukes lining up to sign him to a contract

http://www.readingfc.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10306~1547512,00.html

Can anyone explain this rule about players from abroad coming back and having to go to the team highest on "the list" like how we got Mcbride. I really dont understand why San Jose couldn't just put a discovery on him and get around this List shit.

StandUpIfYouHateChelsea
02-07-2009, 01:05 AM

yeah i get that impression too :noidea:

StandUpIfYouHateChelsea
02-07-2009, 01:12 AM
I agree. A disproportionate amount of funding MUST go to the team (Male or female) that is going to bring in the most amount of revenue. That revenue then fuels the other programs.

Look at the University of Michigan. Their athletic focus is primarily their football team. But that football team brings in the money that builds the swimming pools, arenas, gyms, training facilities and generates revenue that pays for the budgets of other sports.

Unfortunatley, it's not the way things are run here. U of T introduced equalized funding for sports in the early 90's. It led the football teams fall from Vanier cup champions in 1993, to the team holding the longest losing streak in Canadian football history.

If the canadian mens Soccer team had money and resources put into it, maybe they would compete at a more consistent level. Maybe they would attract friendlies with the top teams in the world that would justify higher ticket prices. Maybe we would qualify for the world cup and maybe even win a few games. Maybe because of that we would get huge advertising dollars and increased revenues.

Point being - If they can maximize revenue for the top team (male or female) then a 70% - 30% funding model may provide more money to BOTH teams than a 50% - 50% model

i see what your saying but fuck, lets be straight.... they can do it 50 - 50 when womens footy is on par with mens. but fuck , were shooting ourselfs in the foot because every other nation out there is doing the opposite. That being said i acknowlege that other nations are severly underfunding womens programs. maybe if the csa ....god willing got its act togeather and did what is mentiond above .... we wouldnt have to conversate about this sooo much......

Toronto Ruffrider
02-07-2009, 01:21 AM

I can see that very easily being the case. Let's face it - the CSA hasn't exactly been beneficial toward either the men's or the women's programmes. While our WNT fares better on the international stage, it has regressed with respect to its competition. Indeed, if the status quo at the CSA doesn't change, we could see a day when both our men and women fail at qualifying for their respective World Cups.

I_AM_CANADIAN
02-07-2009, 10:58 AM
Honestly, I really have to agree with the sentiment being expressed here. I'm not sexist- far from it in fact, I'm a leftist hippie (complete with the long hair)- but the reality is, increasing the funding for the men's program will improve our reputation and bring in more money for the CSA to use for BOTH programs, something they don't seem to understand. Qualifying for the men's World Cup will help soccer in this country more than winning the women's World Cup would.

And, of course, what we also need is the CSA to use that money in the most efficient way possible, something I'm sure doesn't happen right now.