PDA

View Full Version : Today’s News, Thursday , Feb.05

denime
02-05-2009, 07:05 AM
Mornin'

New role of mentor for Toronto FC's Sutton
Veteran 'keeper battles for roster spot, helps advise rival youngsters
Daniel Girard

Tending net behind an oft-porous Toronto FC defence, Greg Sutton has grown accustomed to having to be on his toes.
So when the veteran Canadian international came into this year's training camp to compete for a job against a pair of highly touted youngsters, he saw it as just another chance to prove he belongs.
"That's the way it should be," Sutton said yesterday at BMO Field. "You always want to try and bring out the most competitive nature in the guys, and bringing new talent into camp is one way of doing that." ...

Read more (http://www.thestar.com/Sports/article/582691)

Guevara starts preseason
Midfielder returns from international duty

Toronto FC midfielder Amado Guevara returned to BMO Field to start preseason training on Wednesday morning. The Honduran missed the first two days of preseason because of international duty. Guevara will stay with the team for the next few days before leaving to join the Honduras squad ahead of a World Cup Qualifier against Costa Rica on February 11th

Read more (http://toronto.fc.mlsnet.com/news/team_news.jsp?ymd=20090204&content_id=215686&vkey=news_t280&fext=.jsp&team=t280)

Dichio excited by challenge
TFC striker happy to be back for 2009

Toronto FC striker Danny Dichio believes the team is much stronger going into preseason this year compared to previous seasons. Dichio agreed a new contract with the team for the 2009 season after contemplating retirement, and is excited to be back. "It's great to see some new faces in the changing room and I am sure there will be some more players arriving as well so I am very excited about the new season," said Dichio.

read more (http://toronto.fc.mlsnet.com/news/team_news.jsp?ymd=20090204&content_id=215585&vkey=news_t280&fext=.jsp&team=t280)

Beckham decides to stay at Milan :eek:

The Associated Press
GLASGOW, Scotland — David Beckham wants to make his stay at AC Milan permanent and leave the Los Angeles Galaxy.
The England midfielder's three-month stint in Italy is due to end March 8, but after impressing in Serie A he wants to cut short his contract with Major League Soccer.
Beckham made the announcement Wednesday after playing the first half of Milan's 2-2 friendly draw at Glasgow Rangers.

Read more (http://sports.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20090204.wsptbeckham4/GSStory/GlobeSportsSoccer/home)

SUNSHINE (http://www.torontosun.com/sunshinegirl/)

trane
02-05-2009, 07:37 AM
Why are they playing friendly's in the midle of season?

BuSaPuNk
02-05-2009, 07:40 AM
Morning D! I love all this competition between Sutton and Edwards and Frei and Robinsion and Cronin. Competition would bring out the best in the players. That can only help us.

Stouffville_RPB
02-05-2009, 07:48 AM

TFC tradition. I think it's only 1 this year.

ensco
02-05-2009, 07:56 AM
TFC tradition. I think it's only 1 this year.

I think he's asking about Milan ;)

Milan do it for the love of the sport. The fact that it was scheduled after they brought Beckham in is a total coincidence.

TFC_Junky
02-05-2009, 07:59 AM
TFC Close to signing Vitti.

According to :rolleyes: MLS Rumors... (ya, we all know it's credible) :rolleyes:

http://www.mls-rumors.net/2009/02/report-toronto-fc-close-to-finalizing.html

"Announcement within 2 weeks..."

BuSaPuNk
02-05-2009, 08:16 AM
^ The clock is running!!

Technorgasm
02-05-2009, 08:35 AM
Sutton is a born leader. his long career is testiment to that.

but , can he hold his salt in the face of the young'uns fighting with all they have to get a spot?
I think so.
Energy, reilience and drive are great, but when you talking about your #1 keeper.. . .

Experience, patience, understanding, positioning and Clout to control the defence is MUCH more important. WALK ON SUTTON!

. . fuck off Becks, the REDS are all thats needed up here in the north.

daner90
02-05-2009, 08:48 AM
morning all!
Should be interesting to see how the Keeper competition turns out. In the end one of the 3 will probably have to be traded before the season starts...

SSG has got some major snaggletooth going today...

Beach_Red
02-05-2009, 08:59 AM
Milan do it for the love of the sport. The

Wow, they don't even get paid for it? ;)

canadian_bhoy
02-05-2009, 09:04 AM

It's the only way that Rangers can get a match against a european opponent :D

Bluenose13
02-05-2009, 09:13 AM
It's the only way that Rangers can get a match against a european opponent :D:dita:

Yohan
02-05-2009, 09:16 AM
what bridge did this she troll crawled out of? (SSG)

Chevy
02-05-2009, 09:27 AM
what bridge did this she troll crawled out of? (SSG)

By the looks of her, a bridge made out of chocolage fudge. Lay off the snacks there Bessie!

scooter
02-05-2009, 09:44 AM
mornin all

bessie ??%$#@!

keem-o-sabi
02-05-2009, 09:52 AM
co-ed daily hottie (http://coedmagazine.com/category/girls/daily-snapshot-girls-2/), at least she is yummy good riddance becks.

Yohan
02-05-2009, 09:58 AM
co-ed daily hottie (http://coedmagazine.com/category/girls/daily-snapshot-girls-2/), at least she is yummy good riddance becks.
looks like a man eater

BFin
02-05-2009, 09:58 AM
"You can see her as a "Random Hot Girl" on Man-Up appearing on Men TV. "

No...no I can not. NEver. It would be physically and biologically impossible for myself to ever see that hideous bridge trolling creature as anything other than what she is...a 26er of scotch away from a bucket of shame and regret.

Oldtimer
02-05-2009, 10:00 AM
THE IMPACT SURPASSES OBJECTIVE WITH 35,000 TICKETS SOLD

NEWS BRIEF: February 4, 2009

MONTREAL – The Montreal Impact announced Wednesday that it has already sold 35,000 tickets for the CONCACAF Champions League quarterfinals that will take place February 25 at Olympic Stadium, against Mexican Club Santos Laguna. “We are very happy to have surpassed our ticket sales objective three weeks prior to this historical game,” said Executive Vice President of the Montreal Impact Richard Legendre. “The response from the soccer fans is outstanding. We are confident that ticket sales will continue apace until February 25. Fans will create the atmosphere during this soccer celebration and we hope they will come in large numbers wearing blue.”

Several excellent tickets are still available through Admission (514-790-1245 / 1-800-361-4595 / admission.com), as well as at the ticket offices of Olympic Stadium and the Saputo Stadium. http://www.impactmontreal.com/News/News.aspx?language=EN&Flash=1&ArticleID=

35,000? Wow. With three weeks left, it could be a sell-out (50,000). Soccer is big in Canada.

I think Saputo's proved his point that a Montreal MLS franchise would be great for the league.

Fort York Redcoat
02-05-2009, 10:01 AM
Ask about Guevara one day and the next...

Fort York Redcoat
02-05-2009, 10:03 AM
http://www.impactmontreal.com/News/News.aspx?language=EN&Flash=1&ArticleID=

35,000? Wow.

Santos Laguna has 35k travelling? Impressive. I didn't know they wore blue, though.:p

Stouffville_RPB
02-05-2009, 10:25 AM
I think he's asking about Milan ;)

Milan do it for the love of the sport. The fact that it was scheduled after they brought Beckham in is a total coincidence.

True. Milan have a bigger squad and can afford to have some friendlies mid-season to make extra cash.

Beach_Red
02-05-2009, 10:29 AM

35,000? Wow. With three weeks left, it could be a sell-out (50,000). Soccer is big in Canada.

I think Saputo's proved his point that a Montreal MLS franchise would be great for the league.

Well, he's also proven his point that he doesn't need to spend $40 million to sell soccer in Montreal.

So, sure, his franchise would be great for the league, but what's the league got to offer him?

(this will, of course, change when Montreal never win another Canadian Championship and never get any more of these Vhampions League games, but right now there doesn't seem to be enough in MLS to spend the money)

Fort York Redcoat
02-05-2009, 10:44 AM
(this will, of course, change when Montreal never win another Canadian Championship and never get any more of these Vhampions League games, but right now there doesn't seem to be enough in MLS to spend the money)

Vhampions League! :rofl:

Is that ChampionsLeague for virgins?:p

Beach_Red
02-05-2009, 10:49 AM
Vhampions League! :rofl:

Is that ChampionsLeague for virgins?:p

No, it's the opposite, it's for Vamps. :D

SoccMan
02-05-2009, 11:03 AM
It's funny that when the Canadian national team played Honduras in World Cup qualifying at Saputo Stadium this past summer, there was maybe 5,000 people there out of the the 13,000 sold out crowd supporting Canada, with the rest going for Honduras, where were all these impact fans that night when Canada needed them.

Fort York Redcoat
02-05-2009, 11:11 AM
It's funny that when the Canadian national team played Honduras in World Cup qualifying at Saputo Stadium this past summer, there was maybe 5,000 people there out of the the 13,000 sold out crowd supporting Canada, with the rest going for Honduras, where were all these impact fans that night when Canada needed them.

Waiting for the free tix thrown at them this time...

or waiting for the Quebec National team to play...

denime
02-05-2009, 11:16 AM

Well,there is a good chance there will be again 5000 Montreal fans at the game,rest will be Mexico fans.:D

Stouffville_RPB
02-05-2009, 11:23 AM
Well,there is a good chance there will be again 5000 Montreal fans at the game,rest will be Mexico fans.:D

Very good chance if you ask me. The rest of :canada: needs to step up!

Beach_Red
02-05-2009, 11:24 AM

Well, if there was a Quebec National team......

Pachuco
02-05-2009, 11:45 AM

Too bad 34,000 of those are Mexican fans.

rocker
02-05-2009, 11:55 AM
Well, he's also proven his point that he doesn't need to spend $40 million to sell soccer in Montreal.

So, sure, his franchise would be great for the league, but what's the league got to offer him?

I agree. It might be nice now, but if the economics of MLS grow and Vanny gets in, and we have 5 million salary caps etc etc, Montreal is gonna be left out of anything beyond the USL.

RANT ON!

If I was talking to ole Joey I'd tell him what MLS offers is a future. You can't grow the USL game by simply focusing on your own market (Montreal). He doesn't give a shit about the fact that his league is losing good cities to MLS or that he'll have to send his boys to Austin instead of Atlanta this year, or that most teams in the USL have attendance at a fraction of Montreal.

I guess when you're the big fish in the little pond, you can thumb your nose at everyone. It's not about money for Saputo but power. He has great power in the USL to do whatever he wants at whatever cost. But I think he'd have a better future in MLS if he gave some of that up. It's a tradeoff.

But with Seattle gone, and Vancouver probably gone, and perhaps Portland... there's gonna be a big drag on the quality of the USL, as smaller markets replace bigger ones. How is Austin Texas gonna pay for players the way Portland or Seattle does?

RANT OFF!

Mark in Ottawa
02-05-2009, 12:01 PM
I guess when you're the big fish in the little pond, you can thumb your nose at everyone. It's not about money for Saputo but power. He has great power in the USL to do whatever he wants at whatever cost. But I think he'd have a better future in MLS if he gave some of that up. It's a tradeoff.

And what happens if the best players within the USL start looking to MLS as a step up? The quality of USL teams could start to suffer.

deltox
02-05-2009, 12:09 PM
Montreal Impact: So the Sounders got promoted to MLS, where they are a little fish in a big pond. Whereas back here in USL we are still top dog, in a fairly large pond. So who is the real boss? The dog or a fish?

jloome
02-05-2009, 12:17 PM
It's just a half-hearted protest vote turnout for not getting MLS.

Montreal once nearly filled the Big O for an exhibition between the Manic and Notts Forest (my only soccer game at the big o) but the L'Imp Acts have consistently given away as many tickets as they've actually sold, so it's hard to believe this is any kind of trend.

jloome
02-05-2009, 12:17 PM
Montreal Impact: So the Sounders got promoted to MLS, where they are a little fish in a big pond. Whereas back here in USL we are still top dog, in a fairly large pond. So who is the real boss? The dog or a fish?

That would be the fish, dude. Dogs can't survive living in ponds.

deltox
02-05-2009, 12:20 PM

Michael Scott would disagree

Beach_Red
02-05-2009, 12:21 PM
I agree. It might be nice now, but if the economics of MLS grow and Vanny gets in, and we have 5 million salary caps etc etc, Montreal is gonna be left out of anything beyond the USL.

Sure, but there are an awful lot of "ifs" in all this. The biggest one probably, "if" it wasn't $40 million. There's guarantee that salary cap is going up (I hope so, but...) and so on. Right now it looks like Saputo played it right.

USL will replace Vancouver and Portland with teams that Montreal fans might be even more interested in.

Alarius
02-05-2009, 12:24 PM

:rofl:

rocker
02-05-2009, 12:29 PM
Sure, but there are an awful lot of "ifs" in all this. The biggest one probably, "if" it wasn't $40 million. There's guarantee that salary cap is going up (I hope so, but...) and so on. Right now it looks like Saputo played it right..

Well, the price isn't going to go down, that's for sure.

And another thing: before Montreal was kicked out of the running, everyone was saying that Saputo was Mr. Deep Pockets. He himself said the money wasn't an issue.

So why all the fuss about the $40 million?

Cuz he has a big ego and doesn't want to give up the power that he has. He tried to negotiate and failed.

I just don't think Saputo understands the business model of MLS and the way it works. His stadium expansion plan was also really weak. He seems to think the only revenue is ticket sales and forgets ancillary revenue. His stadium now and in the proposed expansion did not do enough in that regard.

It's funny tho -- Saputo complains about business models yet he gives away tickets regularly, which is charity.

Fort York Redcoat
02-05-2009, 12:34 PM
Well, the price isn't going to go down, that's for sure.

And another thing: before Montreal was kicked out of the running, everyone was saying that Saputo was Mr. Deep Pockets. He himself said the money wasn't an issue.

So why all the fuss about the $40 million?

Cuz he has a big ego and doesn't want to give up the power that he has.

Really? The entire league had increases due to Beck ham games. He's gone and the economy sucks.

This really could've been Mr moneybags being Mr Smarty pants. There's been plenty of talk of teams putting padded offers in.

Anyway, I 'm not sure that Joey made such a bad move but I'll miss not kickin his arse in the league as well as the V cup in the coming years.

ensco
02-05-2009, 01:23 PM
Really? The entire league had increases due to Beck ham games. He's gone and the economy sucks.

This really could've been Mr moneybags being Mr Smarty pants. There's been plenty of talk of teams putting padded offers in.

Anyway, I 'm not sure that Joey made such a bad move but I'll miss not kickin his arse in the league as well as the V cup in the coming years.

Joey's view isn't wrong. But the way he conducted himself, calling out the MLS brass publicly in a presser, he made it clear that he's nobody's partner.

So Joey'll get his wish. The MLS will never come back to him even if the price drops back to $10 million.

Bender
02-06-2009, 04:29 AM
Joey's view isn't wrong. But the way he conducted himself, calling out the MLS brass publicly in a presser, he made it clear that he's nobody's partner.

So Joey'll get his wish. The MLS will never come back to him even if the price drops back to $10 million.

Well certainly not with Garber in the mix. Should someone else take his position I could see it being a possibility.