PDA

View Full Version : Beckham Tells Sky Sports He Wants To Stay In Milan

Big Bruva
02-05-2009, 02:31 AM
Not sure if its been posted but Becks has told Sky Sports that he has made it clear to AC Milan and LA Galaxy that he wants to stay in Milan.

He says playing with the likes of Ronaldinho etc will increase his chances of playing in the next World Cup.

Becks says he hopes the two clubs sort it soon.

He also has a clause in his contract that could see him leave for free in November so wether its now or in November bye bye Becks.

Shakes McQueen
02-05-2009, 02:47 AM
It's pathetic how little the word "contract" means, to soccer players.

I hope for the Galaxy's sake that they saw this coming a long time ago, and made plans to fill the hole he leaves behind, if he goes.

Personally, I kind of hope they force him to come back to LA until his opt-out kicks in. I think it'd be interesting to see a footballer told "no" for once, when they decide to go to the media about their desire to move, while they are still under a contract.

I also feel bad for Arena, because when they loaned him out, they probably didn't expect all of this nonsense - Ancelotti trying to reneg on their deal, and publicly griping about how he wants Becks to stay, etc.

One good thing about North American sports - you don't see this kind of crap very often.

- Scott

Cashcleaner
02-05-2009, 02:55 AM
I just don't see the Galaxy/MLS letting him go at the halfway mark of his contract. It sounds to me that he seriously overestimated the challenge the league would offer him.

I dunno know, could go either way.

Shakes McQueen
02-05-2009, 03:00 AM
I just don't see the Galaxy/MLS letting him go at the halfway mark of his contract. It sounds to me that he seriously overestimated the challenge the league would offer him.

I dunno know, could go either way.

I personally thnk he just underestimated how he would play in Milan.

Of course, he is essentially a pair of fresh legs for them right now, since the MLS season is opposite Serie A's, so who knows how good he will be in a couple of months - the honeymoon could be over by then.

But yeah, I don't see the galaxy letting him go without a fight either. They likely aren't used to the flippant demands and whims of footballers under contract.

- Scott

sully
02-05-2009, 07:16 AM
well...not surprising at all.. but for me the most disappointing aspect of this whole thing is the way L.A. have been such wimps...

when Milan publicly said that they hoped beckham would stay, when Beckham was added to the UEFA squad etc. L.A. should have been outraged and condemed Milan for their actions but instead it seemed they did nothing for fear of hurting poor David's feelings..

..the one trick pony can get lost as far as I'm concerned..afterall it's better for our team

Mark in Ottawa
02-05-2009, 07:32 AM
So Beckham goes... big deal!
He was good for marketing in general but didn't play as much as expected due to injury and international duty and certainly didn't elevate the Galaxy as a team.

MLS/LA would be smart to play the positive aspect of this. DB got his game back and we played a part in that! Now pass over a whack of cash to buy his contract so we can use it to attract another recognizeable name to the MLS.

ExiledRed
02-05-2009, 08:35 AM
Right Becks,

We all know the REAL reason he wants to stay in Milan,

http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w180/ExiledRed/beckhampinch.jpg

Flipityflu
02-05-2009, 08:50 AM
i'm keeping my fingers crossed for a career ending injury, you contract dodging cunt.

Capello, please please drop him from the team so i can laugh, and laugh, and laugh.

giambac
02-05-2009, 09:11 AM
Not sure if its been posted but Becks has told Sky Sports that he has made it clear to AC Milan and LA Galaxy that he wants to tay in Milan.

He says playing with the likes of Ronaldinho etc will increase his chances of playing in the next World Cup.

Becks says he hopes the two clubs sort it soon.

He also has a clause in his contract that could see him leave for free in November so wether its now or in November bye bye Becks.

I don't blame Becks.

I know it will hurt LA Galaxy and the MLS. To ba dwe won't see him at BMO this year.

However who can blame a guy for wanting to play in the BEST league in thw World.?

Who can blame a guy who wants to play in a country that is has 4 World Cups?

Who can blame a guy for wanting to play for one of the most prestigious clubs in the world?

How many times have AC Milan won th Champions Cup?

It's a no brainer. AC Milan are the Montreal Canadiians of the hockey world.

Ciao

giambac
02-05-2009, 09:18 AM
It's pathetic how little the word "contract" means, to soccer players.

I hope for the Galaxy's sake that they saw this coming a long time ago, and made plans to fill the hole he leaves behind, if he goes.

Personally, I kind of hope they force him to come back to LA until his opt-out kicks in. I think it'd be interesting to see a footballer told "no" for once, when they decide to go to the media about their desire to move, while they are still under a contract.

I also feel bad for Arena, because when they loaned him out, they probably didn't expect all of this nonsense - Ancelotti trying to reneg on their deal, and publicly griping about how he wants Becks to stay, etc.

One good thing about North American sports - you don't see this kind of crap very often.

- Scott

Shakes,

2 points I have 2 make

1) Why would you wnat to force a player to play for your team when he doesn't want to be there? Would good is it. If he isn't happy an dif his heart is no longe rwith LA then it will show in his play and rub off on his team mates. No one wins like that.
2) Your comment in regards to Coach Arena - you fill sorry for him becasue he never expected this when he loaned out Becks to AC Milan???? C'mon wake up and smell the coffee. Arena and eveyone else on this planet knew that it was a risk when they lent him out. This is no surorise....

Let me take it one step further. I think Arena and the LA Galaxy are happy that Beck's wants to stay and that AC Milan wants him. LA will get out of a big contract and they are going to get rich from the transfer fee. I'm sure they are already counting the money.....................

Pachuco
02-05-2009, 09:37 AM
letting Beckham go out on loan to AC Milan is the dumbest idea MLS has had. Unless of course the plan all along was to get rid of Becks, which again would have been a dumb idea. I said it when he went on loan, and I'll say it now, this is only making the MLS look like a joke, all those who put a positive spin on Beckham leaving on loan, what do you think now?

Nomad
02-05-2009, 09:40 AM
Better to get some cash now than to let him go for nothing in November. I'm more curious to see if Landycakes stays with Bayern Munich.

Shakes McQueen
02-05-2009, 09:41 AM
1) Why would you wnat to force a player to play for your team when he doesn't want to be there? Would good is it. If he isn't happy an dif his heart is no longe rwith LA then it will show in his play and rub off on his team mates. No one wins like that.

His heart was never with LA. I normally don't advise keeping a player somewhere they don't want to be, but it's this prima donna attitude that managers have conceded to, that has created this whole problem. So in that sense, I hope they stick it to him. In what other profession can someone sign a contract, and then get let out of it because "their heart isn't in it anymore"? What a joke.

Your comment in regards to Coach Arena - you fill sorry for him becasue he never expected this when he loaned out Becks to AC Milan???? C'mon wake up and smell the coffee. Arena and eveyone else on this planet knew that it was a risk when they lent him out. This is no surorise....

I'm sure they knew that him wanting to stay was a risk. What I'm sure he didn't expect, was the media circus with Ancelotti and Beckham teasing that they wanted him to stay, or Ancelotti putting Beckham on their UEFA Cup roster, while he is still only on loan, etc. It showed a tremendous amount of disrespect for the Galaxy, and the favour they essentially did both AC Milan, and Beckham.

Going to the media, while you're under contract somewhere else, and saying you wish you could stay where you are, is absolutely disrespectful. Saying you hope one of your players can stay, when you have a gentlemens agreement that he will be returning in March, is classless.

Also, I need to take issue with your assertion that AC Milan are the Habs of football, and that Serie A is the best league in the world. No fucking way. The amount of shitty flopping and diving in Italian soccer alone, is enough to proclude it from being top of the list.

And I would personally consider Man U (as much as I hate them), or Real Madrid (as much as I hate them) to be the Habs of football, before AC Milan.

- Scott

Shakes McQueen
02-05-2009, 09:42 AM
letting Beckham go out on loan to AC Milan is the dumbest idea MLS has had. Unless of course the plan all along was to get rid of Becks, which again would have been a dumb idea. I said it when he went on loan, and I'll say it now, this is only making the MLS look like a joke, all those who put a positive spin on Beckham leaving on loan, what do you think now?

I disagreed with the assertions that it made the league look bad, and I still do.

It would certainly be a blow to the LA Galaxy's bottom line, however, if he leaves. It'll also likely leave them with a gaping hole in midfield for this season, since pre-season is starting as we speak.

- Scott

Shaughno
02-05-2009, 09:48 AM

I don't think it makes the league look bad. Sure people may take it as a negative, but you always have your pessimists.

It shows that while he was fantastic at LA, the league needs some work, but isn't THAT far off as some people seem to think.

Pachuco
02-05-2009, 10:04 AM
I don't think it makes the league look bad. Sure people may take it as a negative, but you always have your pessimists.

It shows that while he was fantastic at LA, the league needs some work, but isn't THAT far off as some people seem to think.

I can't believe some of you are still trying to put a positive spin on this.

For crying out loud Beckham's created a circus around not wanting to play in the MLS anymore and you think this isn't creating negativity towards the league? What do you think the next Beckham who has the opportunity to play in the MLS will say? fuck if Beckham couldn't stand it there why would I go. What do you think the public is saying about this? I had a superbowl party at my house on sunday and the conversation with alot of the guys (who don't follow the MLS closely) was how bad the MLS must be that Beckham doesn't even fullfill half his contract before he's begging to get out.

Sorry guys, the only thing coming out of this is how bad MLS looks right now. I don't even want to know what the European's are saying. Oh wait, pretty easy to predict.

Shaughno
02-05-2009, 10:07 AM
Beckham isn't saying that the MLS is shit, far from it actually. From what I've read he's simply said that he's enjoying his time at Milan and would love to extend his stay.

In no way, shape or form, does that indicate that the MLS is shit. AC Milan is one of the largest clubs in the world FFS, any player would love to play there if given the chance.

Fort York Redcoat
02-05-2009, 10:12 AM
P is right but look at who we're talking about. Impressing Europe with our league wasn't going to happen and the NA casual sports fan is hardly looking at our league with measured analysis.

I've not changed my position on this. He came. He saw. He sold shirts. He left. early.

If people came for Becks they were on the whole disapointed. I was not.

Yohan
02-05-2009, 10:12 AM

For crying out loud Beckham's created a circus around not wanting to play in the MLS anymore and you think this isn't creating negativity towards the league? What do you think the next Beckham who has the opportunity to play in the MLS will say? fuck if Beckham couldn't stand it there why would I go. What do you think the public is saying about this? I had a superbowl party at my house on sunday and the conversation with alot of the guys (who don't follow the MLS closely) was how bad the MLS must be that Beckham doesn't even fullfill half his contract before he's begging to get out.

Sorry guys, the only thing coming out of this is how bad MLS looks right now. I don't even want to know what the European's are saying. Oh wait, pretty easy to predict.

Beckham isn't saying that the MLS is shit, far from it actually. From what I've read he's simply said that he's enjoying his time at Milan and would love to extend his stay.

In no way, shape or form, does that indicate that the MLS is shit. AC Milan is one of the largest clubs in the world FFS, any player would love to play there if given the chance.

I think it's an implied thing that MLS isnt up to par

But then again, no one expects MLS to be up to Serie A quality

Word is already on the street that MLS is at least somewhere you can look for some football at lower degree of quality, players and fans alike.

Becks departure just means MLS shouldnt expect to sign another player of Becks quality until it sorts itself out

Pachuco
02-05-2009, 10:13 AM

NO ONE said Beckham said the MLS is shit. (actually there was one article that mis-quoted him that did, which proves my point). It's the perception people get when Beckham decides to cancel his contract and go abroad. You can keep telling youself that this is good for the league. It ain't. It doesn't matter what you think and what you read, it's the public's perception of the situtation.

Yohan
02-05-2009, 10:15 AM
His heart was never with LA. I normally don't advise keeping a player somewhere they don't want to be, but it's this prima donna attitude that managers have conceded to, that has created this whole problem. So in that sense, I hope they stick it to him. In what other profession can someone sign a contract, and then get let out of it because "their heart isn't in it anymore"? What a joke.

Exactly. Lack of professionalism in modern day footballing disgusts me.
You sign a contract. Just because someone else wants to give you more money or have chance to play for a better teams doesnt give you a right to break your contract of whine your way out of it.

Personally, if I was a manager, for every public outburst, I'd slap a 2 weeks fine and make it public about it too.

Shaughno
I think it's an implied thing that MLS is up to par

But then again, no one expects MLS to be up to Serie A quality

Word is already on the street that MLS is at least somewhere you can look for some football at lower degree of quality, players and fans alike.

Becks departure just means MLS shouldnt expect to sign another player of Becks quality until it sorts itself out

People who think the league is up to par, are obviously off their rocker.

Would it make a difference if it was Blanco or Schelleto who left for AC Milan?

Dave67
Let him go. Use the angle that MLS is flexible to the stars. That way MLS will have better odds of convincing other star players to come over for a year or two. Force him back to LA and you send a warning shot over the bow of any other star player considering trying MLS out. MLS is not strong enough to play hardball here. Like it or not Becks can't be the last star player to bring in the circus crowds.

Yohan
02-05-2009, 10:16 AM

ah feck. i miswrote that. suppose to say MLS isn't up to par

Don Julio
02-05-2009, 10:18 AM

Read between the lines, ffs:

"It's nothing against the Major League Soccer and the football over there, because it's a game that will grow but it will take quite a few years."

Translated: "MLS is shit."

Pachuco

Are you seriuosly comparing Blanco or Schelleto to Beckham?

Wait let's see, let me call my mom and see who she recognizes and who she cares about leaving.

Shaughno
NO ONE said Beckham said the MLS is shit. (actually there was one article that mis-quoted him that did, which proves my point). It's the perception people get when Beckham decides to cancel his contract and go abroad. You can keep telling youself that this is good for the league. It ain't. It doesn't matter what you think and what you read, it's the public's perception of the situtation.

The perception SOME people will get sure. Others will feel the opposite, that's life.

I've talked to a bunch of family and friends from the UK who have paid more attention to the MLS news than ever before because of Beckham going to AC Milan.

I suppose that's a bad thing right?

The goal of bringing Beckham in was to improve the quality of the league and sell shirts.

Have both of those goals not been accomplished? I think so, therefore he did his job and was a success.

I don't give a fuck who you are, if AC Milan wants to keep you, you probably will want to stay there.

Fort York Redcoat
02-05-2009, 10:20 AM
MLS fans. Forget the rest of the world for a second (I know it's hard when we're in the off season but try). Becks came and gave the league cash, attendance, and exposure but he left early and was on a shitty team.

It will be an interesting period now to see if this injection can weather the storm of the economy ( lack of fun money ) and the loss of "Beckham" fans to MLS stadiums.

I think the answer is yes it can but brace yourselves for some slaggin' of your league.

Shaughno
02-05-2009, 10:23 AM
Let him go. Use the angle that MLS is flexible to the stars. That way MLS will have better odds of convincing other star players to come over for a year or two. Force him back to LA and you send a warning shot over the bow of any other star player considering trying MLS out. MLS is not strong enough to play hardball here. Like it or not Becks can't be the last star player to bring in the circus crowds.

Exactly. Let's 'force' players to play here, because you know... that's enticing to players considering making the jump. :rolleyes:

Read between the lines, ffs:

"It's nothing against the Major League Soccer and the football over there, because it's a game that will grow but it will take quite a few years."

Translated: "MLS is shit."

I am reading between the lines. The league is NOT at the same level as Serie A. Anybody who knows anything about the league knows that the league has steadily improved over it's history and it's going to continue to improve over time.

He stated the truth, something everyone already knew. If you think the MLS is quality football, you need to give your head a shake.

Are you seriuosly comparing Blanco or Schelleto to Beckham?

Wait let's see, let me call my mom and see who she recognizes and who she cares about leaving.

Obviously you can't make a direct comparison, since you know, there are so many players who have the same international recognition as Beckham... oh wait, there isn't a single player in the world who has the same international recognition.

Steve
02-05-2009, 10:24 AM

I dunno, maybe that you can play in MLS for two years and still move to a top quality team? Maybe that MLS isn't necessarily where careers go to die?

Though I agree the media will absolutely have a field day over this, I don't think it's as bad as people are saying. Actually, the more players we have move out to top Euro leagues the better (yes, even if that player is old and just came over). If there starts to be a pipeline between us and good leagues over there, young players will potential will start thinking MLS might be a good place for them (get some good playing time, get to live in some interesting cities (well, not Columbus and Salt Lake City), and still have a good chance to move over to the best leagues.

As for Beckham himself, big name players will often move between leagues. It happens. Yes, this move was precipitated by Beckham wanting to be in shape for world cup qualifiers, but so what? No one thinks we are as good as Serie A. Beckham came, Beckham failed to make the playoffs, Beckham left. Let's continue with our model of slow and stable growth and go from there.

Pachuco
02-05-2009, 10:25 AM
The perception SOME people will get sure. Others will feel the opposite, that's life.

I've talked to a bunch of family and friends from the UK who have paid more attention to the MLS news than ever before because of Beckham going to AC Milan.

The goal of bringing Beckham in was to improve the quality of the league and sell shirts.

Have both of those goals not been accomplished? I think so, therefore he did his job and was a success.

I don't give a fuck who you are, if AC Milan wants to keep you, you probably will want to stay there.

Who's arguing that bringing Beckham in was a bad idea. Now you are the one looking for key words and skipping my point. Beckham was definately a success while he was here. It's the way he's exiting that will set that success back. The media is going to be all over this, and it won't look pretty for us.

Dave67
02-05-2009, 10:27 AM
Who's arguing that bringing Beckham in was a bad idea. Now you are the one looking for key words and skipping my point. Beckham was definately a success while he was here. It's the way he's exiting that will set that success back. The media is going to be all over this, and it won't look pretty for us.

But the media here generally hates soccer. Who cares if they have another angle to dis the game? They would have used something else if Beckham stayed. The people who know and care will be able to spin this as a positive.

Shaughno
02-05-2009, 10:27 AM
The media will ALWAYS take a negative spin, no matter what happens. You can't avoid that, so why worry about it?

Beckham was a success, so to other players wanting to come here, they can see that not only can you play here and make decent money, but you can also still play at the highest level of football.

That's a major positive in my eyes, and probably the league's as well.

Fort York Redcoat
02-05-2009, 10:28 AM
Let's continue with our model of slow and stable growth and go from there.

That's kind of funny since we're talking about what could be "the move" in the sport to take an entire league to another level.

But I agree that the league did it's best to make sure that this wouldn't go NASL (and yes I know there's was more to it).

Jack
Becks has an escape clause in his contract for after this season, I believe. So they're better to sell him now and he knows it. Otherwise he can opt out and walk for nothing.

Shaughno
But the media here generally hates soccer. Who cares if they have another angle to dis the game? They would have used something else if Beckham stayed. The people who know and care will be able to spin this as a positive.

Exactly, Becks comes back and the media has a field day.

"Beckham unable to stay with Madrid and goes back to the lowly MLS" or some shit. Either way, the media will take a negative spin as they always do.

Bad news sells much better than good news.

Shaughno
02-05-2009, 10:29 AM
Becks has an escape clause in his contract for after this season, I believe. So they're better to sell him now and he knows it. Otherwise he can opt out and walk for nothing.

And then the MLS looks like idiots for not cashing in when they had the chance.

Do you take 14 Million for him... or let him go for free in 8 months time? ;)

Parkdale
02-05-2009, 10:31 AM
It's not like LA gave him a good reason to stay.
Sure there was money, but he's got plenty of that already.
If LA didn't suck so bad last year, it might have been a different story.

in the end, his presence helped get the league get known around the world.
That's a positive thing because now people actually know that [north] America
actually has an interest in the sport. That's a positive thing.

Fort York Redcoat
02-05-2009, 10:32 AM

Yes, yes, yes. There are literally millions of people over here talking about "soccer" for the 1st time. A percentange will stay. We'll see how high that % is this year. Wether it's 1000's, tens or hundreds of thousands will be the important thing.

Don Julio
02-05-2009, 10:34 AM
Exactly. Let's 'force' players to play here, because you know... that's enticing to players considering making the jump. :rolleyes:

I am reading between the lines. The league is NOT at the same level as Serie A. Anybody who knows anything about the league knows that the league has steadily improved over it's history and it's going to continue to improve over time.

He stated the truth, something everyone already knew. If you think the MLS is quality football, you need to give your head a shake.

Obviously you can't make a direct comparison, since you know, there are so many players who have the same international recognition as Beckham... oh wait, there isn't a single player in the world who has the same international recognition.

Look, I kno wthe league is shit, and I'm surely not surprised that you and Beckham agree that it's shit. Beckham is the only one selfishly advertising the fact to the world, though.

FACT: The most read statement in the football world over the next 48 hours is, at it's base, regarding how shit the MLS is.

Shaughno
02-05-2009, 10:34 AM

And not just an interest, but it's actually a seriously league with decent potential and some money to acquire top players.

Pachuco
02-05-2009, 10:36 AM
Like it or not, the media drives general perception of the public. If you think the media is always negative, then I have one word for you. Obama :)

Shaughno
02-05-2009, 10:36 AM
Look, I kno wthe league is shit, and I'm surely not surprised that you and Beckham agree that it's shit. Beckham is the only one selfishly advertising the fact to the world, though.

FACT: The most read statement in the football world over the next 48 hours is, at it's base, regarding how shit the MLS is.

Would you rather the world had no clue about the league at all?

Or have the worlds most recognized player say that the league isn't quite up to par, but it's well on it's way?

Steve
02-05-2009, 10:37 AM
That's kind of funny since we're talking about what could be "the move" in the sport to take an entire league to another level.

But I agree that the league did it's best to make sure that this wouldn't go NASL (and yes I know there's was more to it).

See, and I guess that's the type of plan I disagree with, and hope MLS stays away from (I know the DP rule was kind of designed for that purpose). I'd rather see the league grow slowly by controlling revenue (SSS), growing talent (academies), and positive transfer fees (collecting more than we're spending). The great thing for us right now is the out of control transfer fees being paid by big clubs/leagues in Europe. We're not trying to build a league in a vacuum, we're building it in a world football market that had gone crazy with spiraling costs. Instead of playing their game and losing (by overspending on good players) we need to use that to our advantage. Keep selling Edus and Alitores. Invest that money into more development, and raising the cap (slowly). Raise the product slowly, and build the fan bases slowly. Some people will come around when they hear Man U is scouting a player on their local team (might as well go see a future Man U player!). Some will come around as the quality slowly increases. It won't be an overnight sensation, but it will be STABLE (which is the most important thing in this climate). Eventually, we will be able to afford to keep our good young players for longer, and bring in quality talent earlier. We will get to the point we need to be at, but it won't be quick. In my experience, quick success usually turns into epic failure.

Dave67
02-05-2009, 10:37 AM
Like it or not, the media drives general perception of the public. If you think the media is always negative, then I have one word for you. Obama :)

Obama? Who the media here hates already for preaching Buy American?

Shaughno
02-05-2009, 10:38 AM

We're talking sports, not politics. Beckham doesn't pay for the media to follow everything he says. ;)

Pachuco
02-05-2009, 10:40 AM
And not just an interest, but it's actually a seriously league with decent potential and some money to acquire top players.

I'm certainly don't disagree with Parkdale's or your statement here.

The only thing we are disagreeing on is how stupid the MLS looks now that Beckham is on loan with AC Milan and he's making the league look like shit in the eye of the public. This would not have happened if he didn't go out on loan. You and others thought letting Beckham go on loan was good for the league, and my argument is that it was a bad decision. They should've just sold him in the first place if he wanted out. This field day the media is a cause of Beckham going on loan to AC Milan.

Shaughno
02-05-2009, 10:42 AM
For sure it is and people thought Beckham was washed up before he went to Milan. ;)

jabbronies
02-05-2009, 10:44 AM
Exactly. Lack of professionalism in modern day footballing disgusts me.
You sign a contract. Just because someone else wants to give you more money or have chance to play for a better teams doesnt give you a right to break your contract of whine your way out of it.

Personally, if I was a manager, for every public outburst, I'd slap a 2 weeks fine and make it public about it too.

The NHL does it all the time with the Russian stars they sign...

Pachuco
02-05-2009, 10:45 AM
Obama? Who the media here hates already for preaching Buy American?

Really, do you even know why I made that point? Obama is recently receving negative media in Canada. RECENTLY. for the last 12 months the guy has been a God in the media's eyes in most of north america.

Nomad
02-05-2009, 10:46 AM
Beckham came in and did exactly what he was supposed to do in terms of marketing. Sell a ton of shirts and bring in soccer moms from around the league who hopefully would turn into full fledged footie fans. This is already accomplished and he can do no more in this regard.

One player does not make a league. You will still not have top calibre players in their prime playing in the MLS. Why? Because there is no glory. Everyone from all four corners of the world want to play in Europe. It's a fact of life for Brazilian teams, for Argentinian teams, even for teams outside the big 4 leagues (EPL, Series A, La Liga, and to a lesser extent Bundesliga). Fuck, even Ligue 1 teams in France have to deal with this (look at the rumours from Lyon involving Benzema). BUT, with Beckham coming over, you still will get former top calibre players coming over here to wind down their career and maybe sooner than before (age 30 as opposed to 35). I'm willing to bet you'll see Henry in this league in the next year or two and it was Beckham who legitimised this option. If this is that much of a problem i suggest moving to Europe.

Beckham leaving now does not hurt the league in my opinion. On the contrary i see it as coming over here can give your career a second wind, a fresh start. If the league was that shit i don['t think Beckham would have done so well with Milan (or Landycakes with BM). Hopefully other stars will see it this way and opt for a time out from the fishbowl that is European football to regroup.

Anyways, the last point i want to make is.....the Galaxy were shit with Beckham anyway. They haven't even qualified for the playoffs. What would you rather, a guy who sells shirts or a team that wins?

Don Julio
02-05-2009, 10:46 AM
Would you rather the world had no clue about the league at all?

Or have the worlds most recognized player say that the league isn't quite up to par, but it's well on it's way?

You have to be wearing some pretty rose-coloured glasses to interpret it that way. It reads to me more like "I's a long way off" than "it's well on it's way". Anyway, I just think the entire thing's unfortunate and I'm positive that he never had any intentions of returning to LA unless things went terribly in Milan.

Parkdale
02-05-2009, 10:47 AM
NO OBAMA TALK

it has nothing to do with the topic.

:topic:

Fort York Redcoat
02-05-2009, 10:51 AM
See, and I guess that's the type of plan I disagree with, and hope MLS stays away from (I know the DP rule was kind of designed for that purpose). I'd rather see the league grow slowly by controlling revenue (SSS), growing talent (academies), and positive transfer fees (collecting more than we're spending). The great thing for us right now is the out of control transfer fees being paid by big clubs/leagues in Europe. We're not trying to build a league in a vacuum, we're building it in a world football market that had gone crazy with spiraling costs. Instead of playing their game and losing (by overspending on good players) we need to use that to our advantage. Keep selling Edus and Alitores. Invest that money into more development, and raising the cap (slowly). Raise the product slowly, and build the fan bases slowly. Some people will come around when they hear Man U is scouting a player on their local team (might as well go see a future Man U player!). Some will come around as the quality slowly increases. It won't be an overnight sensation, but it will be STABLE (which is the most important thing in this climate). Eventually, we will be able to afford to keep our good young players for longer, and bring in quality talent earlier. We will get to the point we need to be at, but it won't be quick. In my experience, quick success usually turns into epic failure.

But the league has made moves toward all those things you've mentioned AND went sizzle vs steak on getting Beckham for rent. He got $$$ but most was outside the team, league, wound up in sponsors.

Everyone would prefer a league built on (pure) talent vs buzz. This $league$ can do both so it will.

giambac
02-05-2009, 10:55 AM
And then the MLS looks like idiots for not cashing in when they had the chance.

Do you take 14 Million for him... or let him go for free in 8 months time? ;)

take the money and run......

trane
02-05-2009, 10:59 AM
As I am a Milanese and a Milanista, I am biased. But who can blame Becks? He is not bracking his contract he is trying to negotiate his way out of the cotract. LA nows his intention he is leaving. It is better for them, to negotiate and make some money then to lose him for nothing.

As for Becks, there is no reason to believe that there was any inent for him to stay long term. However, with Gatusso's injury he was provide unexpected playing time, and he excelled. Now he is playing with two footballers of the year ( Kaka and Ronaldinho) on of the greatest playmakers Pirlo, and several over players who are top world class players ( Seedarof and Pato among them) and of course Inzaghi to time to time. If I was LA I would ask for money and Inzaghi back. (joke)

Razcle
02-05-2009, 11:00 AM
Lol....what is funny that I don't think anyone pointed out, is that the comments of MLS not being up to par is likely in direct relation to the Galaxy not being up to par.

If you would have put Beckham in Houston, New England, DC or arguably Columbus. He would have been paired up with much better players and more of a complete team atmosphere then he was with the shit Galaxy, and their two tiered team.

This is an example of a two star team with the rest of the ponies far back in the pack, and obviously they couldn't compete in the MLS (last place). I think Beckham's comments are directed towards the Galaxy more so then the MLS in general because he would have been in a much different situation had he signed on with a strong team.

Fort York Redcoat
02-05-2009, 11:03 AM
Lol....what is funny that I don't think anyone pointed out, is the fact that MLS not being up to par is in direct relation to the Galaxy not being up to par.

If you would have put Beckham in Houston, New England, DC or arguably Columbus. He would have been paired up with much better players and more of a complete team atmosphere then he was with the shit Galaxy.

This is an example of a two star team with the rest of the ponies far back in the pack, and obviously they couldn't compete in the MLS (last place). I think Beckhams comments are directed towards the Galaxy more so then the MLS in general because he would have been in a much different situation had he signed on with a strong team.

Could any other team have afforded him and kept a stronger squad? In the future MLS teams should hopefully take the lesson that there is a balancing act here between fame and talent when opening the wallet.

Shaughno
02-05-2009, 11:03 AM
It has been mentioned in previous discussions, but I agree. ;)

Fort York Redcoat
02-05-2009, 11:07 AM
But in all the threads concerning Becks?

just trying to be completist.:p

giambac
02-05-2009, 11:25 AM

I've said it once and I'll say it again.

This has worked out perfectly and just the way LA wanted it to.

LA knew there wasa risk when the lent out Beckham.. Actaullay I think they were hoping for this. They had Beckham for 2 years to help advertise and develop both the league and the LA Team. Now with Beckham moving over to AC Milan, LA gets out of a hefty contract and they will receive a huge transfer fee.

Peole think that Arena and LA were caught off guard. I tend to difffer. It was part of their paln which has worked out to perfection. Don't feel bas for them or for Beckham or for AC Milan. They are all winners in this transaction.

The only losers are the fans of the MLS and us TFC fans including myself who won't get to see Beckham play here.

Nodoubtguy
02-05-2009, 11:36 AM
http://link.brightcove.com/services/player/bcpid958992159?bctid=10131268001

Video of Beckham saying he wants to stay in Milan

Detroit_TFC
02-05-2009, 11:38 AM
I put a lot of this on the Galaxy FO. I think they tried to capitalize on Beckham by bringing in Ruud, thinking between the two of them they could lift the general level of team play. They wildly overestimated Beckham and Gullit's ability to achieve that. Gullit couldn't operate in the MLS environment or relate to players brought up in the MLS system. Beckham was bored by the game play and alienated from the other players on the squad.

At the risk of offending everyone with a pointyball example, it's like recruiting a top Division I quarterback to a Division III program, thinking that he'll win all the games for you. The world doesn't work like that.

MLS/Galaxy should make Milan cash out the contract. That will benefit the team more than a daydreaming Beckham wondering around the pitch, thinking about what could have been.

Stryker
02-05-2009, 11:41 AM
You're no Gretzky Becks thats for sure.
IMO he mailed it in most games last year anyway so its no big loss talent wise.
He's gone and so is my Beckem jersey come garbage day. :mad:

nascarguy
02-05-2009, 11:53 AM
i say the mls should sell him but tell him that the only way he gets out of the mls is to go to man city. ha ha

Beckham is the worlds biggest bitch all he wants is more cups he left la after one year yeah he was there 2 year but he only played 1 year.

jloome
02-05-2009, 11:53 AM
There will always be haters. There will always be supporters.

The reality is that, to a lot of people, Beckham leaving after two seasons to one of the top sides in the world will demonstrate that MLS can't be that bad, or he wouldn't have maintained his abilities.

To a lot of other people, mostly Euro stock with a hate on for the U.S. (for many reasons both legitimate and otherwise), it will be further proof that MLS is somewhere south of the Blue Square Premier League.

The reality is both extremes have elements of right and wrong to them. No one is fooling themselves into thinking MLS is top-tier, but at the same time, it has to be good enough to have allowed both Beckham and Landon Donovan to walk into two of the best sides in Europe and compete for starting jobs.

That's the big picture. That and the $20M or so MLS will get back for this, on top of the tens of millions it has made already. I would be very surprised if they didn't ask Beckham to praise the league extensively on his departure, given that he has already talked about eventually investing in a franchise.

Don Julio
02-05-2009, 01:17 PM
Is it just me or is Beckham starting to sound Australian?!

Pachuco
02-05-2009, 01:20 PM

The reality is that, to a lot of people, Beckham leaving after two seasons to one of the top sides in the world will demonstrate that MLS can't be that bad, or he wouldn't have maintained his abilities.

To a lot of other people, mostly Euro stock with a hate on for the U.S. (for many reasons both legitimate and otherwise), it will be further proof that MLS is somewhere south of the Blue Square Premier League.

The reality is both extremes have elements of right and wrong to them. No one is fooling themselves into thinking MLS is top-tier, but at the same time, it has to be good enough to have allowed both Beckham and Landon Donovan to walk into two of the best sides in Europe and compete for starting jobs.

That's the big picture. That and the $20M or so MLS will get back for this, on top of the tens of millions it has made already. I would be very surprised if they didn't ask Beckham to praise the league extensively on his departure, given that he has already talked about eventually investing in a franchise.

I agree with most of what you said. Although, the $20m price tag was rumoured by us, I haven't any references to how much money L.A would ask Milan for. I think how much they get for Beckham could make some haters into lovers, and the other way around as well.

TOBOR !
02-05-2009, 01:33 PM
David Beckham, you are Brett Favre and I claim my Five pounds. All David has done is misjudged where he was in his career and made confused decisions based on this. He was out of sorts in Madrid and out of favour with the England squad. He thought a move to America where he would be welcomed warmly and treated like the footballing god he thinks he is, as he opened academy after academy and became the author of an era of greatness in American soccer, would be his best career move.

However, perhaps after finding it a bit of a rough go, being laughed at by his mates, realising he had more to offer, and watching Brett Favre do a complete 180 on retirement, he decided he'd like to give it one last proper go over there.

David Beckham is only doing what David Beckham wants to do, with David Beckham's best interests in mind. It's not how it appeared it was when he first came to MLS, but is it surprising ? It's a shame so many admire him, as I find his character lacks the qualities required to earn the respect and admiration of others.

Perhaps he'll find happiness, who cares ? The experiment is over: EPIC FAIL.

In the meantime, let it be a warning to MLS when coveting star players to come over as DPs. This could be how it ends for them as well.

Maybe David will favour us with one more glimpse of himself at BMO before he goes to Milan and we can give him a proper send-off !

Cambridge_Red
02-05-2009, 01:41 PM
Let the show poney go.. I just hope he doesn't feature for England too much hes 33 ffs Im hoping the likes Walcott will be a first choice. Good luck to him though up until this point in his career hes been a pretty decent dude.

Fort York Redcoat
02-05-2009, 01:42 PM

Walking into 2 of the best sides in Europe that didn't want either for their football prowess. Gatusso's hurt and Landon's been outmatched in Deutchland twice already. You can't convince me Hollywood FC was wowed by Landon's MLS awards with the names on their squad (regardles of their performance).

Boondaddy
02-05-2009, 01:42 PM

exactly....100% spot on. Thanks for saving me the time of having to put my 2 cents in! We all know why Becks was brought in...and it worked.

Jeffro
02-05-2009, 01:43 PM
Beckham wants to stay in Milan = MLS is Shite

A full year of Cristiano Ronaldo wanting to go to Real Madrid = EPL & Man U are Shite??

:noidea:

Fort York Redcoat
02-05-2009, 01:44 PM
David Beckham, you are Brett Favre and I claim my Five pounds. All David has done is misjudged where he was in his career and made confused decisions based on this. He was out of sorts in Madrid and out of favour with the England squad. He thought a move to America where he would be welcomed warmly and treated like the footballing god he thinks he is, as he opened academy after academy and became the author of an era of greatness in American soccer, would be his best career move.

However, perhaps after finding it a bit of a rough go, being laughed at by his mates, realising he had more to offer, and watching Brett Favre do a complete 180 on retirement, he decided he'd like to give it one last proper go over there.

David Beckham is only doing what David Beckham wants to do, with David Beckham's best interests in mind. It's not how it appeared it was when he first came to MLS, but is it surprising ? It's a shame so many admire him, as I find his character lacks the qualities required to earn the respect and admiration of others.

Perhaps he'll find happiness, who cares ? The experiment is over: EPIC FAIL.

In the meantime, let it be a warning to MLS when coveting star players to come over as DPs. This could be how it ends for them as well.

Maybe David will favour us with one more glimpse of himself at BMO before he goes to Milan and we can give him a proper send-off !

Dead Wrong. Character he has in spades. Brain cells?

Azerban
02-05-2009, 01:44 PM
I would like three things to happen;

1) LA force him to stay
2) Beckham leaves on a free in November
3) England fails to make 2010

I would become religious for this, come on "God" make it happen.

You're no Gretzky Becks thats for sure.
IMO he mailed it in most games last year anyway so its no big loss talent wise.
He's gone and so is my Beckem jersey come garbage day. :mad:

if it is an LA shirt perhaps it is you who should go in the garbage :mad:

Fort York Redcoat
02-05-2009, 01:46 PM
^I'm holding you to that. You got the church picked out or should I? Just in case...

giambac
02-05-2009, 02:16 PM

1) LA force him to stay

They will make it because they have finally come to their senses and hired a good coach - Capello. They are learning from an Italian who know waht it takes to win.

You want proof - Count the 4 World Cup titles they have:yum:

Boondaddy
02-05-2009, 02:21 PM
They will make it because they have finally come to their senses and hired a good coach - Capello. They are learning from an Italian who know waht it takes to win.

You want proof - Count the 4 World Cup titles they have:yum:

URGE TO KILL RIIIIISING.

giambac
02-05-2009, 02:46 PM
URGE TO KILL RIIIIISING.

Facts/Results back up my claims. I'm not making it up.

rocker
02-05-2009, 02:51 PM
i will always remember my first time with becks.... July 24, 2008.. it was our first and last time together.. sigh

trane
02-05-2009, 03:19 PM

1) LA force him to stay

I spoke to God, and he tells me that he wants Capello to lead England to the WC final, were in a dramatic penalty shoot out it will lose to Lippi and the Great Azzurri.

Azerban
02-05-2009, 03:38 PM
I spoke to God, and he tells me that he wants Capello to lead England to the WC final, were in a dramatic penalty shoot out it will lose to Lippi and the Great Azzurri.

i'll take "world cup finals i would not watch" for 400, alex

trane
02-05-2009, 03:40 PM
^ God told me you would say that.

Arnie Knows
02-05-2009, 03:42 PM
Dunnivant is better looking then Becks anyhow.. He can be there new Stud horse..

ACSertL
02-05-2009, 04:17 PM
Walking into 2 of the best sides in Europe that didn't want either for their football prowess. Gatusso's hurt and Landon's been outmatched in Deutchland twice already. You can't convince me Hollywood FC was wowed by Landon's MLS awards with the names on their squad (regardles of their performance).

Us on the Bayern end of things are wondering just what kind of dirt Donovan has on Klinsmann that warranted that loan signing :)

CretanBull
02-05-2009, 04:53 PM
Pachuco - you're right on all accounts regarding Beckham leaving for Milan. No matter what positive spin people try to put on this, it's a negative and it hurts the credibility of the league.

CretanBull
02-05-2009, 04:57 PM

Hmmm....I think the pope got his messages mixed up. In protestant England, where we talk directly to God, he told us of this game but ends with a Three Lions win. Lions have a history of...umm...eating Romans!

Nomad
02-05-2009, 05:03 PM
Pachuco - you're right on all accounts regarding Beckham leaving for Milan. No matter what positive spin people try to put on this, it's a negative and it hurts the credibility of the league.

I think this is over dramatic...

Hmmm....I think the pope got his messages mixed up. In protestant England, where we talk directly to God, he told us of this game but ends with a Three Lions win. Lions have a history of...umm...eating Romans!

The Heathens also have a history of choking... :p

trane
02-05-2009, 05:09 PM

^ Acctually the Present Pope also told me I am wrong he assured me that God told him that Germany would triumph in 2010. ;)

I told him that as a catholic I have to believe that he is right, but as an Italian I had to laugh.

Big Bruva
02-05-2009, 07:19 PM
C'mon Azerban why you gotta go that far lol

1) LA force him to stay

CretanBull
02-05-2009, 07:36 PM
I think this is over dramatic...

How so? I don't think that there's anything dramatic about the statement, never mind over-dramatic :noidea:

Brooker
02-05-2009, 07:41 PM
people have been talking about this guy for over 2 years now....

i'm really getting confused and irritated..... WHO THE FUCK IS DAVID BECKHAM?!

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
02-05-2009, 08:31 PM
Looks like LA will have no choice to sell him to AC MILAN...Because come season end in MLS....he can walk away from LA for Nothing...!

nascarguy
02-05-2009, 08:45 PM
Beckham is going because of the fake grass and he is the worlds biggest football cry baby if he makes the england team for the next world cup I'm burning all my england shirts.

Cuchulain
02-05-2009, 09:32 PM
Isn't Becks going to lose a shit load of money doing this? The endorsement component of his contract is worth over 40 mil a year. He won't make anything near that in Italy. This tells me this is strictly a football discision. He wants to be in the better league and Posh wants to be in the better 'fashion' city.

Whoop
02-05-2009, 10:48 PM
Honestly, I don't care.

Hopefully that means the soccer mom crowd slowly disappears and the David Beckham crowd at BMO slowly disappears meaning more room for supporters.

One guy does not make the league.