PDA

View Full Version : Vitti as a DP?

Nuvinho
02-04-2009, 09:47 PM
I know its mls-rumors.net, but if Mo signed Vitti as a DP, would you be pissed??

http://www.mls-rumors.net/2009/02/report-toronto-fc-close-to-finalizing.html

DOMIN8R
02-04-2009, 09:50 PM
Yeah. I saw this. Personally, I think he's DP worthy. He was effen quick against us in the friendly. I remember watching thinking that he bewildered our defense.

Since this rumour has not yet been put to bed. I think it might still happen.

Bender
02-04-2009, 09:52 PM
Doesn`t sound like a DP, probably max salary tho... my knowledge of south american players is next to none so I will with hold judgement until I see him play.. which some of you may find hard to understand!! Assholes :D

Damien
02-04-2009, 09:54 PM
So are we buying him or loaning him?

BuSaPuNk
02-04-2009, 09:56 PM
If it is a loan deal I would say non DP max. If we buy him than I can see the DP situation being used.

DOMIN8R
02-04-2009, 09:56 PM
Doesn`t sound like a DP, probably max salary tho... my knowledge of south american players is next to none so I will with hold judgement until I see him play.. which some of you may find hard to understand!! Assholes :D

So you appreciate my avatar then?:p

Keyman
02-04-2009, 10:00 PM
I highly doubt that this is true. But it would be interesting to see a designated player signed based on potential rather than on past achievements.

It would be hard to form an argument that would justify bringing in Vitti on anything other than potential, he hasn't shown that he's worth that type of salary at all. Basically, there would be a significant amount of risk associated with acquiring him as our DP, but also the possibility of massive reward.

Nuvinho
02-04-2009, 10:06 PM
anyone see the Dichio interview on TFC TV, he mentioned a few players coming in and a few players still on the way out.

DOMIN8R
02-04-2009, 10:08 PM
^^^Jimmy and Greg did as well. Today's TFC release Amado also said "We know how to play together as a team and it is a very solid team today. We will have a few new additions coming in and it should be easy for them to join in with us and learn to play with the team because there is already a good spirit amongst everyone. Everything is in place for us to have a more successful campaign than last year."

Ossington Mental Youth
02-04-2009, 10:11 PM
I dont think Vitti will be a DP, its been mentioned by Carver (or maybe it was Mo) in some of those most recent interviews. I do think that Vitti will be coming on loan, prob at a relatively high cost even tho hes relatively unproven.

Stryker
02-04-2009, 10:22 PM
Remember though that the DP doesn't have to be a multi million dollar player.
He could have a DP salary of $650 000.
That, I could see happening.

Bender
02-04-2009, 10:24 PM
So you appreciate my avatar then?:p

There`s a fine line between an asshole and a jackass :p

rocker
02-04-2009, 10:24 PM
No matter what he costs, I wouldn't be pissed as long as he performs. If he turns out to be a DP and plays like a DP, then awesome. A young, successful DP would be a nice development in the short history of the DP spot.

Ossington Mental Youth
02-04-2009, 10:26 PM

yeah, i was thinking this too, could be that hes getting paid DP money but not a DP (like Schelotto last year).
Also its a hell of a gamble but if he does play like a DP, a young DP at that, pay him whatever he wants!

tfc
02-04-2009, 10:29 PM
I honestly don't even care if we pay him DP salary or not, if we get this kid and he shows the skill he is supposed to have, we are not only going to have the best midfield in the league, but also one of the best striking forces in the league as well. CANT WAIT FOR THE SEASON TO START!

Bender
02-04-2009, 10:31 PM
So to my understanding, they can pay him DP money... but not classify him as a DP because of the amount of Allocation money we have? or...

andyc
02-04-2009, 10:32 PM
The reality is we have our DP with Dro... MLSE are not going to spend their own money on a developmental player. The only reason to spend money above and beyond MLS minimums is to sell more jerseys or guarantee extra playoff games...

Vitti isn't going to justify additional spend.

TFC OZZ
02-04-2009, 10:32 PM
I honestly don't even care if we pay him DP salary or not, if we get this kid and he shows the skill he is supposed to have, we are not only going to have the best midfield in the league, but also one of the best striking forces in the league as well. CANT WAIT FOR THE SEASON TO START!

Ya, but we'll still have a shit defense. The whole in our defense is still there, and will remain there until capable players are brought in to fill it.

Having said that, signing Vitti is a step in the right direction on our sometimes lagging forward line.

Damien
02-04-2009, 10:33 PM
Give him DP money if he wants... if he blows chunks just waive his ass at the summer transfer window and free the DP spot for a better player.

Ossington Mental Youth
02-04-2009, 10:37 PM
So to my understanding, they can pay him DP money... but not classify him as a DP because of the amount of Allocation money we have? or...

yeah, i was thinking this too, could be that hes getting paid DP money but not a DP (like Schelotto last year).

Ya, but we'll still have a shit defense. The whole in our defense is still there, and will remain there until capable players are brought in to fill it.

Having said that, signing Vitti is a step in the right direction on our sometimes lagging forward line.

Agreed, we could have another LA Galaxy on our hands (ok, thats a bit drastic but you know what i mean. Im a longtime Bremen supporter as well, so it wouldnt be too much of a shock for me in all honesty, provided they are scoring like Klose and Klasnic in 2004, HA. Essentially the tactic will be you score 3 we score 6 but i dont see that happening).

tfc
02-04-2009, 10:43 PM

True, the back is definitely our weakest point, however, if we sign Vitti we are still plugging another weak spot on the team ... News about the player for our backline has been under wraps for a while now, I bet after the Vitti news was leaked Mo made sure nothing was said about other players.

I still have promise for a player coming in to plug the back, I have a feeling we won't know about it until it happens though.

Stryker
02-04-2009, 10:43 PM
Alot of people knocked the Galaxy but if we had to lose I'd rather we went down 4-3 as opposed to getting blanked 1-0.
Shootout > Great defensive game

Bender
02-04-2009, 10:44 PM

Agreed, we could have another LA Galaxy on our hands (ok, thats a bit drastic but you know what i mean. Im a longtime Bremen supporter as well, so it wouldnt be too much of a shock for me in all honesty, provided they are scoring like Klose and Klasnic in 2004, HA. Essentially the tactic will be you score 3 we score 6 but i dont see that happening).

So by you quoting me does that mean your going to answer my question?? Or are we past that point now :D

Ossington Mental Youth
02-04-2009, 10:52 PM
HAHAHA it was an answer, i was just suggesting you reiterated what i had already stated but i was pointing it out to you in case you hadnt seen it

Bender
02-04-2009, 11:00 PM
Wow... i'm special... haha.

T_Mizz
02-04-2009, 11:00 PM
There`s a fine line between an asshole and a jackass :p
I think he means the hole the jackass is in, seems to me that this is a hole that contains asses or more simply an ass-hole:p

Bender
02-04-2009, 11:06 PM
I think he means the hole the jackass is in, seems to me that this is a hole that contains asses or more simply an ass-hole:p

I guess it's all about perception then!! :D

UltraSuperMegaMo
02-04-2009, 11:19 PM
I'm shocked that people aren’t up in arms at the suggestion of Vitti as a DP. He’s an interesting prospect, but he has a history of injury and a poor recent goal scoring record. I like the idea of adding him to the team, but I fell that if TFC is going to pay someone 400K+, he’s going to have to have a more recent history of excellence at his position.

Ossington Mental Youth
02-05-2009, 12:40 AM
I think noones protesting mostly because noone believes he will really be a DP

MartinUtd
02-05-2009, 12:48 AM

Good point.

Also, a DP this year might not be next year given what happens with the CBA. What if max salary is raised to say 600-800k? We'd get our DP slot back and still be able to honour certain contract obligations.

jrey
02-05-2009, 01:15 AM
If we aren't going to use the dp slot otherwise, then I'd say go for it... but my judgment on that is reserved until we get a quality CB for less than 400k.

I seem to recall a loan to MLS requiring an option to buy? That could be a) beneficial if he works out and likes the city and b) what's holding up the deal.

Ossington Mental Youth
02-05-2009, 01:27 AM
yeah, thats totally the case (re: loans to the MLS).

TFC OZZ
02-05-2009, 02:02 AM
I'm shocked that people aren’t up in arms at the suggestion of Vitti as a DP. He’s an interesting prospect, but he has a history of injury and a poor recent goal scoring record. I like the idea of adding him to the team, but I fell that if TFC is going to pay someone 400K+, he’s going to have to have a more recent history of excellence at his position.

I have faith, because when you bring in a DP, you put your job on the line. As far as I'm concerned, if he's shit, Mo's out of the job, so it's in everyone's best interest for Vitti to do well here.

Cashcleaner
02-05-2009, 03:08 AM
Personally, I don't think he's worth the DP slot or more than $400,000. Things might turn our differently when or if he's here and playing with the squad, but just from the preliminary story, I don't see him as a knight in shining armour.

Nuvinho
02-05-2009, 09:22 AM
From the footy blog:

Pablo Vitti Update (http://my.thescore.com/footyblog/archive/2009/02/05/8160.aspx)

Nothing too crazy here, but I just thought I'd pass along this report from the Argentine paper Ole (http://www.ole.clarin.com/notas/2009/02/05/futbollocal/01852829.html). Now, this is in Spanish of course, so I had to run the article though my good friend, Google Translate. From what I gather, Independiente defeated River of Uruguay 3-0, and Toronto FC target Pablo Vitti played and scored two goals. I think. Here's a passage post-translation:

"In the second part, with 11 changes, it was for Independiente 2-0, with two of Pablo Vitti. The tip came back from a loan from Ukraine and has two more years of contract. Although relegated to the First, is close to continue his career in the United States."
I assume by United States, they mean Canada.

Pachuco
02-05-2009, 09:29 AM
From the footy blog:

Yeah the article basically says Vitti scored 2 goals in his return from loan in Ukraine. It also says that since he's been relegated off the first team, chances are he's leaving for U.S.

Pachuco
02-05-2009, 09:32 AM
I think it would be great news if Vitti signs, DP or not, I don't care. If we weren't planning on using or trading the DP slot, then why not use it and take a chance? We have to understand that it sometimes isn't easy to bring a promising south american player into this league, which means we have to take chances and in some cases over pay players. If he doesn't work out then oh well, he can be released like the little peanut Argentinian that started the season with DC United last year.

supernothingman
02-05-2009, 09:39 AM
Nothing like a DP that hasn't scored a goal since 2006. Smart.

tfc
02-05-2009, 09:41 AM

you clearly arent paying attention to what people are posting here

felipe
02-05-2009, 09:46 AM
Whoever said this earlier was dead on.

Pay him the DP salary - if he turns out to be not worth it - waive him out at earliest convenience.

WTF - its only money, its not as if we have a stampede of seasoned int'l stars banging down our door, competing for the DP spot.

The potential gains far outweigh any risk.

Pachuco
02-05-2009, 10:28 AM
Whoever said this earlier was dead on.

Pay him the DP salary - if he turns out to be not worth it - waive him out at earliest convenience.

WTF - its only money (AND IT AIN'T OUR MONEY :D), its not as if we have a stampede of seasoned int'l stars banging down our door, competing for the DP spot.

The potential gains far outweigh any risk.

Fixed your quote ;)

Beach_Red
02-05-2009, 10:33 AM
Personally, I don't think he's worth the DP slot or more than $400,000. Things might turn our differently when or if he's here and playing with the squad, but just from the preliminary story, I don't see him as a knight in shining armour.

Someone compared this to buying a house and there's some truth in that. The "worth" is totally dependent on what else is available. If there were a bunch of good young players willing to come there'd be some room to negotiiate, make some counter-offers, but the agents know no one else is interested so it becomes a bit of a take it or leave it for TFC. Why not take the chance?

jwfm1985
02-05-2009, 10:45 AM

Actually he scored two goals yesterday ;) ... check the footy blog

jwfm1985
02-05-2009, 10:47 AM
Someone compared this to buying a house and there's some truth in that. The "worth" is totally dependent on what else is available. If there were a bunch of good young players willing to come there'd be some room to negotiiate, make some counter-offers, but the agents know no one else is interested so it becomes a bit of a take it or leave it for TFC. Why not take the chance?

Agreed. It is a risk, that is for sure, but if there isnt anything else on the market why not put down 500-600K and if it doesnt work out, waive him. I'm surprised to see some people on here say he deserves $400K but not the DP... you realize it has the exact same cap hit right? Everything else on top has no effect unless you believe there is another young promising striker waiting in the wings...

Pachuco
02-05-2009, 10:52 AM
Actually he scored two goals yesterday ;) ... check the footy blog

He also scored against TFC. I guess he's a want to be fan and probably wasn't there.

tfc
02-05-2009, 11:00 AM
Agreed. It is a risk, that is for sure, but if there isnt anything else on the market why not put down 500-600K and if it doesnt work out, waive him. I'm surprised to see some people on here say he deserves $400K but not the DP... you realize it has the exact same cap hit right? Everything else on top has no effect unless you believe there is another young promising striker waiting in the wings...

not only that, but if we gave him the 400k and kept the DP slot it would become useless unless we decided to drop another 400k in cap space, which means dropping a core player(s). That I am not willing to do. As far as I'm concerned, give him the 600k or whatever he wants, take the 400k cap hit, and bring in a strong CB or two. Then we are in contention.

Nuvinho
02-05-2009, 11:06 AM
Did some rough calculations on salaries - We are on the hook this year for $2,425,000. We have around $1M in allocation (includes the money we got for Dunny). So for the remaining 2 roster spots (without any trades, etc.) we have about $875K.

Lucky Strike
02-05-2009, 11:15 AM
not only that, but if we gave him the 400k and kept the DP slot it would become useless unless we decided to drop another 400k in cap space, which means dropping a core player(s). That I am not willing to do. As far as I'm concerned, give him the 600k or whatever he wants, take the 400k cap hit, and bring in a strong CB or two. Then we are in contention.

Agreed. I just hope this doesn't drag on forever only for it to blow up in our faces like the Huckerby affair. Get 'er done Mo!

supernothingman
02-05-2009, 11:19 AM
you clearly arent paying attention to what people are posting here

Are we seriously counting goals against a second division team from Uruguay now?

Straws, grasping, etc.

Pachuco
02-05-2009, 11:23 AM
Are we seriously counting goals against a second division team from Uruguay now?

Straws, grasping, etc.

Romario counted goals he scored playing on the beach against his wife.

Who cares? you probalby don't know anything about the player if your argument is he hasn't scored a goal since 2006. Why don't you just wait till the guy comes and judge him based on his performance with the team?

supernothingman
02-05-2009, 11:31 AM
Romario counted goals he scored playing on the beach against his wife.

Who cares? you probalby don't know anything about the player if your argument is he hasn't scored a goal since 2006. Why don't you just wait till the guy comes and judge him based on his performance with the team?

In fact, I've seen him play. Actually, that's a lie - he never got off the bench the two Banfield games I saw live.

Romario also counted goals scored on Mia Hamm 64 Soccer.

Pachuco
02-05-2009, 11:33 AM
In fact, I've seen him play. Actually, that's a lie - he never got off the bench the two Banfield games I saw live.

Romario also counted goals scored on Mia Hamm 64 Soccer.

So you haven't seen him play. I have, in Toronto, when he scored on us. Gave us alot of trouble that day. This is the MLS, he can probably wreak havoc here, and if he can't, send him back home, it's not like we have other options that we know of right?

Chevy
02-05-2009, 11:34 AM
Did some rough calculations on salaries - We are on the hook this year for $2,425,000. We have around $1M in allocation (includes the money we got for Dunny). So for the remaining 2 roster spots (without any trades, etc.) we have about $875K.

Thanks - I was waiting for somebody to do this! Is that allocation just for this season or for this season and next?

TFCREDNWHITE
02-05-2009, 11:36 AM
come on sign this guy!! DP money or not i don't care, just sign him!! I want him in preseason as soon as possible!

spezz44
02-05-2009, 11:36 AM
Probablly

Nuvinho
02-05-2009, 11:38 AM
Thanks - I was waiting for somebody to do this! Is that allocation just for this season or for this season and next?

I think certain amounts runs out this year, some next year, some the year after - unsure tho.

spezz44
probablly an easy sell to big boys at MLSE after what he did in the friendly last year against us, may not have much market value, but if they have no prospective DP's, why wouldnt they take a shot?

supernothingman
So you haven't seen him play. I have, in Toronto, when he scored on us. Gave us alot of trouble that day. This is the MLS, he can probably wreak havoc here, and if he can't, send him back home, it's not like we have other options that we know of right?

You're on the mark, I can't refute that.

I just expected more this year.

Ossington Mental Youth
02-05-2009, 11:44 AM
You're on the mark, I can't refute that.

I just expected more this year.

Its still pretty big all things considered, he comes from the same graduating class as Messi and Arguero and was touted to be of the same calibre, hes been benched most of the time on top argie teams and been injured others. Hes 22 and still has plenty of time to prove himself. Thats not to mention that we dont know for sure hes coming for DP money, its all just a rumor from MLSR which is known for crap. I think its exciting. DPs are overrated (thats another conversation). Dont forget this guy is coming to a pretty decent midfield thats healthy and will have a preseason (and a bit mroe for other players) together as well as a league in which defending is not a strong point. Theres alot of positives here more than negatives imo.

I think certain amounts runs out this year, some next year, some the year after - unsure tho.

Yes, allocation money does expire, but like you im not sure of the date

jloome
02-05-2009, 12:01 PM
One more reason why rumours sites are evil.

supernothingman
02-05-2009, 02:57 PM
Cristiano Lucarelli was released from Parma today.

giambac
02-05-2009, 03:05 PM
Cristiano Lucarelli was release from Parma today.

He'd bring us up and over the top.

Instantly we would have the best player in the MLS.

Stryker
02-05-2009, 03:05 PM
Cristiano Lucarelli was release from Parma today.
Scoring goals againest the Crew and watching Bills Archers head explode would be worth the price of his salary alone. :D

Yohan
02-05-2009, 03:24 PM
wow. cant believe lucarelli was released. I remember just like 2 yrs ago he had a big money move to ukraine for like 8mil pounds.

MO! GET ON THE PHONE!!!

giambac
02-05-2009, 03:41 PM
wow. cant believe lucarelli was released. I remember just like 2 yrs ago he had a big money move to ukraine for like 8mil pounds.

MO! GET ON THE PHONE!!!

MO probaly doesn't even know who he is and the fact that he plays soccer. He doesn't believe in scouting that part of the world.......

Kevvv
02-05-2009, 03:43 PM
With Mo's complexion, he needs to stay away from that part of the world

supernothingman
02-05-2009, 03:57 PM
Lucarelli towards Parma exit
Thursday 5 February, 2009
Ex-Azzurri hitman Cristiano Lucarelli looks likely to quit Parma at the first available opportunity after storming out of training this afternoon.

The ex-Livorno hero moved to Parma after an unsuccessful spell at Ukrainian side Shakhtar Donetsk.

Lucarelli was unable to help the Ducali avoid the drop last season, but he pledged to guide the side back from Serie B.

However, the No 99 has fallen out with his Coach Francesco Guidolin and fellow players and has declared his intention to leave, handing back the captain's armband.

Today it was revealed that Lucarelli has been left out of Parma's squad to face Ancona tomorrow evening because he left the training ground during a tactical drill.

The players were practising free-kicks from the edge of the area when Lucarelli walked off and left the Collecchio Sports Centre.

President Tommaso Ghirardi is expected to meet with Lucarelli to discuss his future but has stressed his “complete faith” in Coach Guidolin.

Siena and Torino had hoped to lure the fiery marksman during the January transfer window, but no deal came to fruition.

http://www.channel4.com/sport/football_italia/feb5l.html

La Gazzetta stated that the release will be official tomorrow.

Jack
02-05-2009, 03:59 PM
Lucarelli would be massive!

Chevy
02-05-2009, 04:01 PM
Is this guy burnt out, or just pissed off at his situation???

Stryker
02-05-2009, 04:06 PM
Was there ever any evidence that TFC were in talks with him or was his name just brought up as wild speculation before?

Stouffville_RPB
02-05-2009, 04:09 PM
Lucarelli is a pure striker and I have been wanting to see him here for 2 years now. If this is at all a possibility we should go after him. He would require DP money though and Mo has said that he isn't looking for the 30 something year old DP. So even if he would come he's not what Mo is looking for.

supernothingman
02-05-2009, 04:12 PM
Is this guy burnt out, or just pissed off at his situation???

http://quotidianonet.ilsole24ore.com/sport/2009/02/05/149480-cristiano_lucarelli_convocato.shtml

Says here he's pissed at the situation and the media.

rocker
02-05-2009, 04:29 PM
maybe this guy just needs some extra love! (the kind only the south end can provide) ;)

isn't he the communist dude? wouldn't he love to play for the REDS!! ;)

Bobo
02-05-2009, 04:35 PM
I'll answer the question with another question. Vitti DP come the start of the season or "proven" European striker in the summer? The spot needs to be used one way or the other.

EDIT - Or I'll take Vitti and a DP CB. :)

gtaguy
02-05-2009, 04:42 PM
I'll answer the question with another question. Vitti DP come the start of the season or "proven" European striker in the summer? The spot needs to be used one way or the other.

I would rather wait till summer to get a "proven" goal scorer..
There is something about Vitti that just doesn't sound right to me...
he might have been a young revelation but appears to have turned into a dud.

numbers don't lie

Years Club App (Gls)*
2003-2006 rosario Central 74 (13)
2006-2008 banfield 15 (0)
2008 Independiente 02 (0)
2008-present Chornomorets Odessa 06 (1)

Chad Barrett is more a goal scorer then Vitti in my eyes....

and to give this kid Dp money is just wrong... maybe thats why the rumor says it would be a loan .. atleast mo has this part right if the rumor turns true...

giambac
02-05-2009, 05:07 PM
Lucarelli is a pure striker and I have been wanting to see him here for 2 years now. If this is at all a possibility we should go after him. He would require DP money though and Mo has said that he isn't looking for the 30 something year old DP. So even if he would come he's not what Mo is looking for.

Not waht Mo is loking for????

Then what the hell is he looking for???????

That's what pisses me off. If the guy is available and he is a proven striker what else does MO want. You don't have to be a genius to realize that he would help TFC and put us right up at the top of the league insatntly.

Chevy
02-05-2009, 05:10 PM
^^ Agreed. Based on these numbers, he (VITTI) CAN'T be making anything close to DP money now. I say a salary of 125k (175k max) would be appropriate.

giambac
02-05-2009, 05:17 PM
^^ Agreed. Based on these numbers, he (VITTI) CAN'T be making anything close to DP money now. I say a salary of 125k (175k max) would be appropriate.

I say sign vitti for the academy team;)

trane
02-05-2009, 05:26 PM
If Luccarelli signs with us, I will buy three kegs for the RPB, if that is enough, One Carlsberg, One Guiness, and one which can be named later. But it is not happening. Lets get real. I hope I am wrong.

trane
02-05-2009, 05:30 PM
If you want to get Luccarelli just tell him that Guevara plays for us, do not be too specific about the spelling.

rocker
02-05-2009, 05:58 PM

yeah that's what we would want. I think the minimum he'd come for is 150K but given the prices some Argentines have received lately, he could be getting 200-230K. Franco Niell, the runt DC signed on loan was getting 150K. (that guy was useless). The Gonzalos in DC were like high-100s and low 200s.

the good thing is the currency rate conversion on 200K USD would be pretty sweet in Argentine money, so it could be a windfall for his Argentine team. They certainly don't seem to have plans for him anyways.

werewolf
02-05-2009, 06:00 PM
If Luccarelli signs with us, I will buy three kegs for the RPB, if that is enough, One Carlsberg, One Guiness, and one which can be named later. But it is not happening. Lets get real. I hope I am wrong.

noted.

zacRWE
02-05-2009, 06:02 PM
Also, the disgruntled Danijel Ljuboja was demoted to the Stuttgart II team. At 30 years old he could be a potential target - though I'm not to fond of his strike rate and team co-operation.
Just a theory to go along with all the Lucarelli chatter though there's no reason as to why VfB would release him.

werewolf
02-05-2009, 06:06 PM
I would be more worried with Ljuboja's discipline then his strike-rate.

kdzb
02-05-2009, 06:10 PM
Guys, you have to give Vitti a chance.
He is only 23 (I know his record is not like Pato) but I'm confident that Mo knows why he is pursuing the guy even for DP money.
I'm confident that if everything get done and he is ours, he will play his best football and we will chant his name in and out of BMO.
We wanted a DP badly and now we have Dero who is in my eyes like a DP but for a bargain and this Vitti is a young talented player who really doesn't have that many games under the belt anyway.
I'm sure with the status of a DP he will rise to the occasion and we will have a jam in our team.
Beside how many times we waisted money on players that are not really worth it even if they had a good resume in the past: Robert, Cunny, Welshy, Pie-man...

I can't wait for the season to start....GO TFC GO.

Pachuco
02-05-2009, 06:56 PM

EDIT - Or I'll take Vitti and a DP CB. :)

Here is what I think:

#1 - I'm sure MO has no idea at this point whether he can find a proven European striker who would be appoved by MLSE and who would be willing to come. We heard that same song both years now and he hasn't even come close to closing a deal. (judging on all the information we've received)

So my solution is:

First - Sign Vitty to salary max and possibly some allocation money if you have to.

Second - Sign Vitty as DP only if you have to (AND if Mo thinks he's worth it). Only he would know since hopefully he's seen the kid play more then once and hopefully he has good information on him.

Third- Make sure his contract is not guaranteed no matter what. Mo did this alot last year.

Fourth- if you have a proven European striker ready to sign and Vitti isn't performaning then you release him by the mid way point of the season and you sign the striker.

BFin
02-05-2009, 07:02 PM
MO probaly doesn't even know who he is and the fact that he plays soccer. He doesn't believe in scouting that part of the world.......
Do you honestly just bring this same idea with you to every thread? You have no clue where MO is looking, and no clue if he has contacted him. If you're such a hater why don't you cheer for the Impact...I'm sure their scouting system must be far beyond TFC...

Jack
02-05-2009, 07:11 PM
Pachuco, I don't think Vitti is worth a DP-level salary unless Mo sees something in him that no one else has.

Jack
02-05-2009, 07:28 PM
Sorry for the double post guys, but I'm pretty sure about a couple of things:

1) Vitti is NOT the DP
2) There will be another defender acquired to shore up the backline

Pachuco
02-05-2009, 07:30 PM
Sorry for the double post guys, but I'm pretty sure about a couple of things:

1) Vitti is NOT the DP
2) There will be another defender acquired to shore up the backline

That would be great news if Mo gets both of these done soon.

BFin
02-05-2009, 07:34 PM
I agree, I don't see Vitti as the DP...expensive striker yes, but not DP.
Month and a half until the season, you think we will still see a DP, perhaps DP CB by then? I'm starting to think we may be going with the status quo when the season starts, which i am not disappointed with...just want my CB at some point.

MartinUtd
02-05-2009, 07:37 PM
I have a feeling if the DP does come, it'll be after the point where it counts for only 200k towards the cap

Jack
02-05-2009, 07:40 PM
I have a feeling if the DP does come, it'll be after the point where it counts for only 200k towards the cap
I would be OK with this. The options are much wider in the summer.

I'll be glad to see a CB come in to start the season.

I'm sure we'll see something. Mo is always wheeling and dealing.

BFin
02-05-2009, 07:42 PM
Personally I think we should be forced to play without a CB because we have DeRo. Makes sense to me.

Jack
02-05-2009, 07:44 PM
Personally I think we should be forced to play without a CB because we have DeRo. Makes sense to me.

What? :noidea:

BFin
02-05-2009, 07:49 PM
^^
(underlying message from my post)DeRo is amazing(underlying message from my post)

Jack
02-05-2009, 07:50 PM
^^
(underlying message from my post)DeRo is amazing(underlying message from my post)
:p

Gotcha

Kickit09
02-05-2009, 07:56 PM
i havent read the first 4 pages of this thread so it might have been said already, but i'll take a no-name up and comer with potential and something to prove any day over an ageing big-name on the tail end of their career just there for a paycheck. Vitti wouldnt be my first choice for DP but if we couldnt get huckerby or dickov how are we going to get a quality big name. realistic expectations people. I'd be fine with Vitti as a DP.

T_Mizz
02-05-2009, 07:59 PM
I don't think the plan was ever to have huckerby or dicov as DP^

BFin
02-05-2009, 08:01 PM
i havent read the first 4 pages of this thread so it might have been said already, but i'll take a no-name up and comer with potential and something to prove any day over an ageing big-name on the tail end of their career just there for a paycheck. Vitti wouldnt be my first choice for DP but if we couldnt get huckerby or dickov how are we going to get a quality big name. realistic expectations people. I'd be fine with Vitti as a DP.
AHHHH It's 2008 AGAIN!!!

Jack
02-05-2009, 08:05 PM
Dude, Vitti's not going to be the DP, so your point is moot. Vitti's a good young player, but there's no way in hell he's worth DP money.

As for Huckerby, he didn't want to play here, he wanted the California lifestyle and to play on grass (he's borderline DP material anyway).

Dickov would have been nice, but it didn't happen.

Kickit09
02-05-2009, 08:16 PM
I don't think the plan was ever to have huckerby or dicov as DP^

i know, my point was if we couldnt sign them than how are we going to sign a better player worthy of DP status. and dont say throw money at them, this is MLS, that doesnt always work.... and to clearify, when i said i'd take a no-name up and comer over an older big-name anyday, i dont mean just anybody young. i mean someone with real potential who will probably be playing in europe in a couple years and is using MLS to prove himself. i dont know if Vitti is that guy, but i'd take a risk on him over taking a risk on a 35 year old big name. like i said realistic expectations.

Dude, Vitti's not going to be the DP, so your point is moot. Vitti's a good young player, but there's no way in hell he's worth DP money.

if they can get him for non DP money, even better. but my point is i'd rather take a risk on a no-name kid than an older big name (because we've seen even big name players are risks). since vitti is currently in the rumour mill and is young(for a change) i'm using him as an example.

canadian_bhoy
02-05-2009, 08:16 PM

As for Huckerby, he didn't want to play here, he wanted the California lifestyle and to play on grass (he's borderline DP material anyway).

Dickov would have been nice, but it didn't happen.

How do you know that Vitti won't be the DP - Did Carver call you or something? I don't think Vitti will be the DP, but we won't know until ....well...we know!

Ossington Mental Youth
02-05-2009, 08:23 PM
Both Mo and Carver (or just one of em, i cant remember) said in a recent interview that Vitti will not be a DP, thats not to mention the fact there have been numerous articles about Vitti as well as others recently (on the score for instance) stating IF we get a DP it wont be until midseason or next year and if we sign Vitti, itll prob be before the start of the season. Once again people are taking MLSR for its word. If people go back to the original article they will note that the title has changed to something like TFC is close to signing vitti as opposed to TFC is close to signing DP

Kickit09
02-05-2009, 08:27 PM
Both Mo and Carver (or just one of em, i cant remember) said in a recent interview that Vitti will not be a DP, thats not to mention the fact there have been numerous articles about Vitti as well as others recently (on the score for instance) stating IF we get a DP it wont be until midseason or next year and if we sign Vitti, itll prob be before the start of the season. Once again people are taking MLSR for its word. If people go back to the original article they will note that the title has changed to something like TFC is close to signing vitti as opposed to TFC is close to signing DP

Carver on TFCs DP (from sept 2008)... "I'll guarantee you that this will definitely happen by the start of next season. I'm guaranteeing it," Carver told reporters Monday afternoon.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/story/2008/09/15/torontofc-designated-player.html

BFin
02-05-2009, 08:36 PM
I'm leaking this too soon, but guys...i'm the dp.

Midfield Stats: 9 games - 6 goals
Goalie Stats: 15 GP - 13-2-0, 18 GA (5 on 5 outdoor)

I'm versatile, I'm dedicated, and I'm usually drunk at BMO field.

Baggio2TFC
02-05-2009, 08:50 PM
Carver on TFCs DP (from sept 2008)... "I'll guarantee you that this will definitely happen by the start of next season. I'm guaranteeing it," Carver told reporters Monday afternoon.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/story/2008/09/15/torontofc-designated-player.html

I understand what he is saying but let's be realistc. The DP rule was put in to bring in names, not unknowns with unproven talent. The DP rule is for the Lucarelli's, The Dickov's, The Huckerby's of the world. If it was for unproven talent, the rule would not exist.

With that said, I think Vitti would be a great addition and bringing a striker or a CB, I think we are gonna have a heck of a year this year!!!

Viva BiancoRosso!!!:canada:

Ossington Mental Youth
02-05-2009, 09:38 PM

I dunno what to yell you.
Hate Carver or dont. I honestly dont believe that Vitti, if signed, will be coming in as a DP. Especially on the word of MLSR

Jack
02-05-2009, 09:57 PM
I dunno what to yell you.
Hate Carver or dont. I honestly dont believe that Vitti, if signed, will be coming in as a DP. Especially on the word of MLSR

You're right, Vitti is not a DP.

If anyone's coming as a DP, I haven't heard about it.

Also, Carver can guarantee all he wants, but Mo's the one who has to deliver on that, not Carver.

Anyway, I like what they've been doing so far and getting everyone signed and ready to start the season together is a good thing (remember we got Guevara really late last year).

We have DeRo and apparently the CB will be coming in. The possibility still exists of getting Vitti as a non-DP. I think we're going to be very solid and then if we can get a DP during the summer then we'll really be onto something here. Of course, if we get a DP before the season it would be great, but I'd be much happier shoring up that backline!

Nuvinho
02-05-2009, 10:15 PM
the CB that is coming in, I think will be over $300K for him probably, since we got more allocation. Any word on who it is? Kuffour?

For Vitti, I think will not be a DP, but his salary (along with the loan fee) will be high.

Ossington Mental Youth
02-05-2009, 10:25 PM
For Vitti, I think will not be a DP, but his salary (along with the loan fee) will be high.

with which we can use allocation money if im not mistaken

Nuvinho
02-05-2009, 11:36 PM
We only have allocation to use now, we are over the cap with the current salaries or close to it.

tfcmanu
02-06-2009, 12:20 AM
I think Couto is available..Why Not? :eek:

http://www.fernandocouto.com/ingindex.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fernando_Couto

BuSaPuNk
02-06-2009, 07:08 AM
Says he retired. Don't see him coming back to play in the MLS.

supernothingman
02-06-2009, 10:07 AM
I would be more worried with Ljuboja's discipline then his strike-rate.

Great player with PSG.

Plus he has fantastic hair.

werewolf
02-06-2009, 10:11 AM
If we are going by hair, we need to bring in Cisse as a DP.

http://www.theoffside.com/files/2007/12/cisse-mohawk.jpg

http://www.mentalacrobatics.com/think/blogimages/cisse.jpg

supernothingman
02-06-2009, 10:24 AM
Nice. Vagner Love as well then.

http://blogdofeyo.files.wordpress.com/2008/07/vagner_love_1.jpg

Yohan
02-06-2009, 10:45 AM
and Diouf. cant forget Diouf

ben_vw
02-06-2009, 11:04 AM

Things change. The outlook of the team, the direction in which we're heading. DeRo is somewhat of a DP. Guevara cost Chivas USA its DP spot in 2007.

There is still over a month and a half until first kick as it is. Trialists and new signings will come in. John Carver said just the other day not to worry about our allocation money..."it'll get spent."

Pachuco
02-06-2009, 11:09 AM
Things change. The outlook of the team, the direction in which we're heading. DeRo is somewhat of a DP. Guevara cost Chivas USA its DP spot in 2007.

There is still over a month and a half until first kick as it is. Trialists and new signings will come in. John Carver said just the other day not to worry about our allocation money..."it'll get spent."

Actually this is where I get frustrated, Carver's big mouth was very straight forward about what we were getting. We didn't get that and won't get that. Also, shows how immature he was when he said this. I mean, how were we supposed to succeed last year when we had a coach that thought unless a DP came to the team, we were going to suck and he wouldn't coach here.

I'm confident if Mo was coaching last year we would've had a better change at making the playoffs.

Flipityflu
02-06-2009, 12:03 PM

fair point, but everything changed once we got Dero. most of the people here, including me, consider him an unofficial DP anyway, so i have no problem in thinking that this promise was fullfilled.

Super
02-08-2009, 05:33 AM
fair point, but everything changed once we got Dero. most of the people here, including me, consider him an unofficial DP anyway, so i have no problem in thinking that this promise was fullfilled.

That's all well and good, but DeRo is not a DP, and so fact remains: no DP for TFC in 09 thus far.

Promise broken.

rocker
02-08-2009, 08:36 AM
That's all well and good, but DeRo is not a DP, and so fact remains: no DP for TFC in 09 thus far.

Promise broken.

It's not a promise broken at all. At least not yet. :)

He never said we'd get a DP by the start of training camp.. he said start of the season.

GuelphStorm2007
02-09-2009, 01:32 AM
I will not talk about the DP until it is official.

Brooker
02-09-2009, 01:58 AM
Martin Brittain for DP!

The second coming!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martin_Brittain