PDA

View Full Version : New Kit numbers

Nuvinho
02-04-2009, 10:38 AM
Just checked the roster page, don't know if these numbers will be the same on opening day. DeRo still doesn't have a # (C'mon Ty give up the #14)

#2 Cronin
#17 White
#23 Hall
#24 Frei

http://toronto.fc.mlsnet.com/players/roster.jsp?club=t280

btw, Fuad (aka. Ibbe) is back as a GA on the site

rocker
02-04-2009, 10:42 AM
i notice they removed Grella. he was on there yesterday.

Kyle Hall is still there. Dunivant officially gone from the roster page.

ben_vw
02-04-2009, 10:43 AM
Johann is #13 now.

ensco
02-04-2009, 11:05 AM
Tyrone wore #15 at FIU and for the Fusion, maybe someone at the team could facilitate the right thing here by asking Tyrone to go back to 15, and maybe Tyler Rosenlund could wear another number?

http://www.fiu.edu/~gpc/our_students.htm (http://www.fiu.edu/%7Egpc/our_students.htm)
http://espn-i.starwave.com/soccer/mls/1999/991024/recap/wasmia.html

FluSH
02-04-2009, 11:09 AM
Just checked the roster page, don't know if these numbers will be the same on opening day. DeRo still doesn't have a # (C'mon Ty give up the #14)

#2 Cronin
#17 White
#23 Hall
#24 Frei

http://toronto.fc.mlsnet.com/players/roster.jsp?club=t280

btw, Fuad (aka. Ibbe) is back as a GA on the site

common practice in sports is to buy the # from the other player if "your" number is already taken...

Maybe Tyronne is asking for some serious dough =P

ensco
02-04-2009, 11:13 AM
common practice in sports is to buy the # from the other player if "your" number is already taken...

Maybe Tyronne is asking fomr soe serious dough =P

True. Funny complication here is that the team itself is probably anxious to switch DeRo to 14 also, for marketing reasons.

Remember all that "we want the same look and identity of the CMNT" stuff when they unveiled the jersey?

Don Julio
02-04-2009, 11:13 AM

Maybe Tyronne is asking fomr soe serious dough =P

lol, if so I can't say I feel bad for DeRo.. What goes around comes around!

FluSH
02-04-2009, 11:32 AM
Tyronne is probably taking that # hostage haha... probably planning to take his whole family on vacation with the proceeds and then some! =P

Nuvinho
02-04-2009, 11:34 AM
Tyronne is probably taking that # hostage haha... probably planning to take his whole family on vacation with the proceeds and then some! =P

How about Tyrone take a trip to Seattle, and when he is there, send a signed Jeff Parke back over to Toronto.

ComeonyouReds
02-04-2009, 02:34 PM

Maybe Tyronne is asking for some serious dough =P
Asking for money is actually the douchebag thing to do. If one guy has senoirity and the same number, he keeps it

Lucky Strike
02-04-2009, 10:31 PM
Attakora now wears #3 instead of #29. Wonder why Johann Smith changed from 28 to 13. It's not like the number was in use when he came to the club; it was vacated by Pozniak when he was picked up by SJ in the expansion draft.

andyc
02-04-2009, 10:42 PM
Asking for money is actually the douchebag thing to do. If one guy has senoirity and the same number, he keeps it

Since when???

From what I have heard, the senior guy than wants the number will "thank" the person giving up his number with some type of gift...

This ain't no union shop! Well other than contracts/salary etc :D

TFC Cityboy
02-04-2009, 11:07 PM
i notice they removed Grella. he was on there yesterday.

Grella got a contract with Dirty Leeds

RedRum
02-04-2009, 11:11 PM
You guys calling for Marshall to just give up his number give your head a shake. The guy has had a long and solid MLS career.

If I were him I aint givin' up my number to anybody, least of all a player who has played 3 less years and is 4 years younger.

JDG
02-04-2009, 11:19 PM
You guys calling for Marshall to just give up his number give your head a shake. The guy has had a long and solid MLS career.

If I were him I aint givin' up my number to anybody, least of all a player who has played 3 less years and is 4 years younger.

This pretty much sums up what I was thinking while reading the comments in this thread.
If DeRo wants 14, I hope he makes a respectful offer, and not some "I'm the best Player so I deserve it" crap.
We have no reason to beleive that DeRo is expecting Marshall to give over for nothing.

ExiledRed
02-04-2009, 11:35 PM
DeRo needs a cooler number than 14, something like....8!

and guess what!

Big Bruva
02-05-2009, 02:36 AM
Since when???

From what I have heard, the senior guy than wants the number will "thank" the person giving up his number with some type of gift...

This ain't no union shop! Well other than contracts/salary etc :D

You heard right, its common to pay for the number you want after arriving at a new club.

sidvan
02-05-2009, 06:10 AM
Grella got a contract with Dirty Leeds

"Leeds United bought from Toronto FC the American striker Mike Grella (22)."

http://www.transfermarketweb.com/?action=read&idsel=31201

BuSaPuNk
02-05-2009, 08:41 AM
DeRo needs a cooler number than 14, something like....8!

and guess what!

Should go after #1. lol help his ego!! lol

But all in all, what doesn it matter about the name and number on the back. It's the crest in the front that matters.

Nuvinho
02-05-2009, 08:51 AM
double 0

Shaughno
02-05-2009, 08:54 AM
"Leeds United bought from Toronto FC the American striker Mike Grella (22)."

http://www.transfermarketweb.com/?action=read&idsel=31201 (http://www.transfermarketweb.com/?action=read&idsel=31201)

Pretty sure they didn't have to 'buy' him since we never actually had him on contract.

FluSH
02-05-2009, 08:59 AM
You heard right, its common to pay for the number you want after arriving at a new club.

That's what I said... so how much is the thanking offer? 10Gs? 15Gs? more... :D

BuSaPuNk
02-05-2009, 09:00 AM
Just heard the offer was 3 Tetley's and a Nut Buddy. lmao

Shaughno
02-05-2009, 09:00 AM
Just heard the offer was 3 Tetley's and a buddy's nut. lmao

:eek:

Carts
02-05-2009, 09:17 AM
Looking at the number thing from a hockey perspective, it goes something like this...

Seniority rules - but not always LOL... If a player joins a team, and the number is taken by a veteran, all bets are off, its his number to hold. If it holds no real significance, than usually an extremely expensive steak dinner or night at the rippers gets the number off his back... If he's worn it a long time, especially career-long than the new guy is possibly shit outta luck...

NOW THE EXCEPTION. If the number holds marketing value, that's when the team front office rolls in and throws down the trump card. Its then that numbers are really "bought" off someone... Its usally said that the player 'bought' the number, when in fact it was the team that spent the cash at the rippers - because if it holds marketing value, the money they can make is 10-times what they'll blow at the Brass Rail or Chez Paris... LOL

Perhaps MLSE will throw down the hammer and DeRo will end up in 14, if they feel that 14-DeRo will generate significantly more sales than DeRo with a different number...

Carts...

FluSH
02-05-2009, 09:30 AM
NOW THE EXCEPTION. If the number holds marketing value, that's when the team front office rolls in and throws down the trump card. Its then that numbers are really "bought" off someone... Its usally said that the player 'bought' the number, when in fact it was the team that spent the cash at the rippers - because if it holds marketing value, the money they can make is 10-times what they'll blow at the Brass Rail or Chez Paris... LOL

Perhaps MLSE will throw down the hammer and DeRo will end up in 14, if they feel that 14-DeRo will generate significantly more sales than DeRo with a different number...

Carts...

nice... so you're saying Paul is going to take Tyronne for a weekend at Sundowner in St.Catherines... or maybe The Spearmint Rhino in Vegas! :D