PDA

View Full Version : Today’s News, Wednesday , Feb.04

denime
02-04-2009, 07:02 AM
Mornin'

Reds' rookies eager to make impact
Toronto FC draft picks given chance to earn playing time

TORONTO -- The high temperature on Monday in Toronto reached 37 degrees Fahrenheit (3 degrees Celsius), leading to what was actually one of the warmest days the city has seen this winter. It still wasn't enough for rookie midfielder Sam Cronin. "It's cold," said Cronin with a grin. "Much colder than in North Carolina."

Read more (http://toronto.fc.mlsnet.com/news/team_news.jsp?ymd=20090203&content_id=215415&vkey=news_t280&fext=.jsp&team=t280)

TFC finalize deal with LA
Reds defender Dunivant moves West

Toronto FC announced Tuesday that they have acquired allocation money from the L.A. Galaxy in exchange for defender Todd Dunivant. As per league and team policy, details of the deal were not announced. Dunivant, 28, joined Toronto FC in a trade with the New York Red Bulls on June 27, 2007 in exchange for defender Kevin Goldthwaite. This will be his second stint with the Galaxy having played 13 games with the club in the 2005 season, before being dealt to New York.

Read more (http://toronto.fc.mlsnet.com/news/team_news.jsp?ymd=20090203&content_id=215434&vkey=news_t280&fext=.jsp&team=t280)

Cronin Starts Robinson School

With the start of Toronto FC camp on Monday, rookie midfielder Sam Cronin says he will be immediately begin soaking up advanced tutelage from veteran Carl Robinson.

Read more (http://www.soccer365.com/us_news/story_4209001335.php)

SUNSHINE (http://www.torontosun.com/sunshinegirl/)

Marco2K
02-04-2009, 07:21 AM
http://www.page3.com/index2.shtml#main-image

WOO HOOO!!!!

Luanda
02-04-2009, 07:23 AM
Not much info seems to have come out of training cam DAY 1.
And yet, there were apparently quite a few reporters.
Where is the "beef"?

Ossington Mental Youth
02-04-2009, 07:44 AM
pretty early hours of the day at this point my friend

BFin
02-04-2009, 08:23 AM
http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/2009/02/03/dunivant_galaxy_trade/

Interesting note from the sportsnet article on the Dunny trade.

"We are sad to see him go," said manager, director of soccer Mo Johnston. "As we continue to build a team, it's important this trade went through because we're getting ready to add more players."

Looks like more action to come in the next month. Lets hope Mo can pull one out this time and get the deal finalized.

canadian_bhoy
02-04-2009, 08:29 AM
Let's just hope that Mo can get these deals done BEFORE the season starts - not like last year.

Carter
02-04-2009, 08:36 AM
http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/2009/02/03/dunivant_galaxy_trade/

Interesting note from the sportsnet article on the Dunny trade.

"We are sad to see him go," said manager, director of soccer Mo Johnston. "As we continue to build a team, it's important this trade went through because we're getting ready to add more players."

Looks like more action to come in the next month. Lets hope Mo can pull one out this time and get the deal finalized.

errr doesn't say there is more to come this month, but if you have been watching the roster we are way over our limit as is. and MO stated in the DeRo interview that some players were going to have to go.

scooter
02-04-2009, 08:38 AM
mornin all
i am sure there is more to come things are happening at tfc
but when leaks might have blown deal with argentina mo is keeping quiet

Oldtimer
02-04-2009, 08:47 AM
Toronto FC posted a much better record in 2008 than it did in its expansion season, and judging by the enthusiasm of coaches and players, another quantum leap is not out of the question.

No team gets into the playoffs just by doing the math, yet the 6-17-7 expansion doormat (25 points) posted a 9-13-8 mark (35 points) that left it four points short of a playoff spot. And that a team with 39 points, Red Bull New York, went all the way to MLS Cup.

TFC has retained its top players, added a few significant upgrades, and can again bank on boisterous backing from the colorful, rowdy BMO Field fanatics. Now, though, comes the greatest pressure this young franchise has yet to face: meeting expectations, i.e., reaching the postseason.

"We've got to kick on now," said Coach John Carver, referring to hitting the finish line in contention, not back in the pack. "We saw a huge improvement last season. We got close to it, got close to the playoffs, with a lot of obstacles thrown in our way, with guys going away for international games.

http://www.socceramerica.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=Articles.showArticleHomePage&art_aid=30871

Parkdale
02-04-2009, 09:07 AM
Let's just hope that Mo can get these deals done BEFORE the season starts - not like last year.

better late than never.

ua-kozak_TFC
02-04-2009, 09:59 AM
better late than never.

I dont; think that quote would apply to this year... I think that fans will be pissed if the BULK of the new signing is not done before the season starts... You can do finishing touches once the season started . But shaking up the whole squad is not something should be done once the season started...

Beach_Red
02-04-2009, 10:06 AM
I dont; think that quote would apply to this year... I think that fans will be pissed if the BULK of the new signing is not done before the season starts... You can do finishing touches once the season started . But shaking up the whole squad is not something should be done once the season started...

Would you call the addition of one CB and a striker "finishing touches" or "shaking up the whole squad," becaue that's probably all the signings that will happen now.

Wooster_TFC
02-04-2009, 10:19 AM
errr doesn't say there is more to come this month, but if you have been watching the roster we are way over our limit as is. and MO stated in the DeRo interview that some players were going to have to go.

What makes you think we are over our limit?

Ignoring the fact that the TFC website's roster is completely incorrect, we're actually pretty well set. We've got 1-3 senior roster spots open, depending on how Ibrahim, Hall, Rosenlund, and Attakora shape out with respect to the new 20 senior roster/4 dev roster spots.

I've heard rumblings that Ibrahim has been graduated from GA, that there are no senior dev spots, so that makes Rosenlund and Attakora take up senior roster spots, but that still leaves us with 1 spot available (and 2 dev spots). To be honest, the fact that Hall was not signed before the draft suggests to me there's no way he gets anything but a dev contract offer.

http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=3237

Steve
02-04-2009, 10:20 AM

Is there really a major shakeup that needs to occur? I agree last year we needed major work "two strikers, two midfielders, two defenders" etc. But this year, all we really need is tuning up. I would say we're solid at GK (Sutton is a great shot stopper, Edwards has shown good promise and Frei could be a great addition). Our midfield is solid (Ricketts, Guevara, DeRo, Robinson, Cronin, Harmse). Our strike force needs one addition, I'm happy having Dichio, Barrett, Ibrahim, and later White. With our midfield as it is, I think these players will shine. That being said, we need one more (though could start the season without him). Our defense, though I'm happy with many of them, does need shoring up. Wynne is great, Brennan is great, Marshall is servicable, Velez needs work, Harmse played surprisingly well. So, add a good central defender to take charge of the center, and I think we're good.

So, essentially we need to add one central defender before the season, and would do well to add another striker. I don't see that as a "major shakeup" like last year.

rocker
02-04-2009, 10:22 AM
Yep no shakeups this spring. adding 2 more guys isn't a massive overhaul of the roster. That's all the team probably needs before we need to actually play some games to see how good they are. Then you make a change or 2 at midseason.

Right now the roster is pretty much set. Maybe they'll sign that Richardson guy, but if they do, it will be after he had a full preseason with the team.

Dub Narcotic
02-04-2009, 10:40 AM
Heh, Stefan Frei has Craig Forrest disease; I have yet to see him fail to mention he is from Switzerland in any interview. God help us if he plays for West Ham at any point.

keem-o-sabi
02-04-2009, 10:44 AM
today's ms. coed hottie (http://coedmagazine.com/category/girls/miss-coed/)

Oldtimer
02-04-2009, 10:46 AM
Heh, Stefan Frei has Craig Forrest disease; I have yet to see him fail to mention he is from Switzerland in any interview. God help us if he plays for West Ham at any point.

He did:

"We have snow, which we didn't have in California," Frei said. "I'm originally from Switzerland, so I miss the snow in the winter." http://toronto.fc.mlsnet.com/news/team_news.jsp?ymd=20090203&content_id=215415&vkey=news_t280&fext=.jsp&team=t280

Dub, you're suffering from "Red Patch" disease, where posters on internet forums are addicted to making criticisms of players, no matter how trivial. Let's support our team.

Roogsy
02-04-2009, 11:04 AM
better late than never.

Um....yeah...no thanks. In the case of building a team for the season, sometimes never is better than late. If you have gone so deep into the season that it's pretty much written off, bringing in new players is no longer productive unless what you are really looking at is the following season. That is pretty much what happened in last year's debacle, and many on this board, myself included, were screaming for pre-season moves instead of mid-season moves. We'd better get it this year. None of this "along the way" crap.

Roogsy
02-04-2009, 11:04 AM

Word...

Roogsy
02-04-2009, 11:05 AM
He did:

http://toronto.fc.mlsnet.com/news/team_news.jsp?ymd=20090203&content_id=215415&vkey=news_t280&fext=.jsp&team=t280

Dub, you're suffering from "Red Patch" disease, where posters on internet forums are addicted to making criticisms of players, no matter how trivial. Let's support our team.

You think it only happens on the RPB board? :lol:

Oldtimer
02-04-2009, 11:13 AM
You think it only happens on the RPB board? :lol:

No, but I'm not going to criticize other groups here. ;)

Oldtimer
02-04-2009, 11:17 AM
More on the Impact's sales for their CL match:

«On sent qu'on a notre place bien à nous dans le coeur des Montréalais!» Richard Legendre, premier vice-président de l'Impact et du stade Saputo, se dit très content du soutien populaire pour le match le plus important de l'histoire de l'équipe montréalaise.

«C'est impressionnant, dit-il. On est rendu à 25 000 billets après trois semaines de vente et il nous reste encore autant de temps avant le match (Ligue des Champions de la CONCACAF). Comme le rythme des ventes semble se maintenir, on révise notre objectif de 30 000 spectateurs à la hausse.»My rough translation:

"One feels that we have our place in Montrealers' hearts!" said Richard Legendre, Senior Vice-President of the Impact and of Stade Saputo, saying that ge is very happy with the popular support for the most important match in the history of the Montreal team.

"It's impressive," he said. We have sold 25,000 tickets after 3 weeks and we have lots of time before the match (CONCACAF Champions League). Given that the rate of sales is continuing to be maintained, we will need to revise upward our goal of 30,000 spectators."

http://www.ruefrontenac.com/sports/38-soccer/300-soccer

I wonder how many of the spectators will be Mexican supporters?

Roogsy
02-04-2009, 11:19 AM
No, but I'm not going to criticize other groups here. ;)

No...just our own. By calling it "Red Patch" disease, you are making it sound like this board is the only one that is critical of it's own team when I would suggest that this board is one of the most supportive of it's team, not only in MLS, but in general.

Find me a hockey team DB that isn't critical of it's team.

Find me a basketball team DB that isn't blasting it's team.

Shoot...find me another TFC board that isn't critical of TFC.

Hell, even the most successful football team of the 21st century (thus far) Manchester United, has an incredible amount of disgruntled fans...for their own reasons of course.

And yet you call it "Red Patch" disease? :rolleyes:

Oldtimer
02-04-2009, 11:32 AM
No...just our own. By calling it "Red Patch" disease, you are making it sound like this board is the only one that is critical of it's own team when I would suggest that this board is one of the most supportive of it's team, not only in MLS, but in general.

"Red Patch" disease is a different strain than "U-Sectoritis" or "Northendteritis." Each group has their own issues.
Ours is nitpicking players for trivial matters.

Beach_Red
02-04-2009, 11:34 AM
I wonder how many of the spectators will be Mexican supporters?

By the 30,000 mark Mexican fans will likely be outnumbered. Montreal can be an "event" town, too, and Montrealers are often looking for a reason to party a little in February.

Oldtimer
02-04-2009, 11:37 AM
By the 30,000 mark Mexican fans will likely be outnumbered. Montreal can be an "event" town, too, and Montrealers are often looking for a reason to party a little in February.

From what I've read, there seems to be quite a buzz in Montreal about their CCL match, in the media and in the public at large. That can only be good for Canadian soccer.

They should enjoy it while they can. Next year will be our turn. :cool:

rocker
02-04-2009, 11:42 AM
They should enjoy it while they can. Next year will be our turn. :cool:

yeah, and they should count their lucky stars, because they still haven't beat us but they made it to the champions league anyways.

Marco2K
02-04-2009, 11:44 AM
Tic Tac Tabernach

Who The Fuck Are The Impact

rocker
02-04-2009, 12:02 PM
the voyageur cup game at BMO against Montreal is gonna be the biggest game of the year for me.
Last year TFC should have won that game, and gone on to the CL. TFC dominated to start.. and DOMINATED the last 20 minutes with chance after chance (I remember cuz my neck was craned looking down to the south end forever).

Then I had to watch Braz and Jordan jumping around with the cup. My seats are close to center on the west side, and I actually ran down and heckled those guys for a bit before walking out.

I want to see this asshole team destroyed more than any other team we play.

Oldtimer
02-04-2009, 12:08 PM
the voyageur cup game at BMO against Montreal is gonna be the biggest game of the year for me.
Last year TFC should have won that game, and gone on to the CL. TFC dominated to start.. and DOMINATED the last 20 minutes with chance after chance (I remember cuz my neck was craned looking down to the south end forever).

That's the one game for sure I don't want to miss.

TFC has improved since then (Barrett for Cunningham, adding DeRo), but so has Montreal (they don't have MLS roster restrictions and have used their CCL money well). It will be hard-fought. Still, TFC should be able to win this time.

DOMIN8R
02-04-2009, 12:10 PM

Then I had to watch Braz and Jordan jumping around with the cup. My seats are close to center on the west side, and I actually ran down and heckled those guys for a bit before walking out.

I want to see this asshole team destroyed more than any other team we play.

I don't think that it's healthy for you to hold your feelings in like that. Tell us how you really feel.:p

BFin
02-04-2009, 12:25 PM

Yah, but when the manager says "we're getting ready to add more players"...it generally leads me to believe it might be done before the season. So the roster being over limit means nothing other than healthy competition.

rocker
02-04-2009, 12:44 PM
I don't think that it's healthy for you to hold your feelings in like that. Tell us how you really feel.:p

DESTROY THE LIMP ACT!!! ARGGGH!!%$%$#$!!E!!!!

I was so angry that day. I've never felt myself that tense and pissed off and angry during a game. It was like turning into the Incredible Hulk. It was a side of myself never seen before.

Technorgasm
02-04-2009, 12:44 PM

I know conflicting schedules of MLS and . . .elswhere can be a challenge, but. . shit man. . we can wait until week 10 to start adding players. . .

best scenerio would be get the new lads into a pre-season. . .

but I would take week 2. Fitting into the squad for week 5. rocking to playoffs there after!

Oldtimer
02-04-2009, 01:55 PM
DESTROY THE LIMP ACT!!! ARGGGH!!%$%$#$!!E!!!!

I was so angry that day. I've never felt myself that tense and pissed off and angry during a game. It was like turning into the Incredible Hulk. It was a side of myself never seen before.

I think the mood was quite ugly that day.

Many people (Carver included) never forgave Cunningham for missing that sitter.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/7/79/Cunnytfc.jpg

http://web.mlsnet.com/images/2008/06/09/58Lww8iy.jpg

Marco2K
02-04-2009, 10:52 PM
Man Cunningham was an ass!!