PDA

View Full Version : Melnyk hit with $1 million fine

It's Called Football
02-03-2009, 11:45 PM
In what may be the final nail in his bid for a 2011 MLS franchise, Eugene Melnyk, owner of the Ottawa Senators and founder of Biovail Corp. has agreed to pay a civil fine of $1,000,001 in a case brought against the drugmaker over their accounting practices.

Read more (http://www.metronews.ca/toronto/blog/post/176587)

Corpand
02-03-2009, 11:47 PM
Melnyk = 0
Ecomonic crysis = 1

Shakes McQueen
02-04-2009, 01:52 AM
The final nail? Where did all of the other nails come from?

I imagine this doesn't have much bearing on anything. MLS is concerned about sustainable markets, and owners with the cash necessary - not whether the owners company was fined.

- Scott

Cashcleaner
02-04-2009, 01:55 AM
A million dollars? 1 million? So basically he's not paying for lunch this friday. Trust me, the guy can take the hit, he's got more than enough in his wallet to cover a fine of this amount.

Redcoe15
02-04-2009, 02:04 AM
First its his mismanaging of the Senators and now this. This is a guy soccer fans in Ottawa and in Canada want to put their blind faith in?

Shakes McQueen
02-04-2009, 02:06 AM
First its his mismanaging of the Senators and now this. This is a guy soccer fans in Ottawa and in Canada want to put their blind faith in?

You have no idea how deep the well of mismanagement with the Senators goes - I have a good friend who has acquaintances that work on the inside of the organization. Melnyk is basically the new Richard Peddie.

But yeah, I still don't forsee Ottawa getting a franchise. I just don't think this small fine has any bearing on it.

My guess is either Portland and Vancouver, or Miami and Vancouver.

- Scott

CretanBull
02-04-2009, 02:39 AM
$1 million is nothing to him...it's not as if he was unaware of the law suit before he put in a bid for a MLS franchise, I'm sure he's well prepared for the situtation.

Azerban
02-04-2009, 03:29 AM
he is being fined...

ONE MILLION DOLLARS

http://www.affordablehousinginstitute.org/blogs/us/dr_evil_one_million_dollars.jpg

Cambridge_Red
02-04-2009, 03:39 AM
I actually think Ottawa will get the team...willing to bet...

Ossington Mental Youth
02-04-2009, 03:46 AM
Uh nah, Ottawa was never going to get a team and this is just further weight on their sinking ship

BuSaPuNk
02-04-2009, 08:02 AM
Melynk could pay that with the money rolling around in the bottom of his dryer. That is best part of Ottawa's bid to the MLS brass, they have a owner who has got money and isn't going to be worried about tanking the team. (well anytime soon) I think Ottawa has a outside chance of getting in, however still think the leauge is going with Barca...oh I mean Miami and Vancouver.

Lucky Strike
02-04-2009, 08:11 AM
Melynk could pay that with the money rolling around in the bottom of his dryer. That is best part of Ottawa's bid to the MLS brass, they have a owner who has got money and isn't going to be worried about tanking the team. (well anytime soon) I think Ottawa has a outside chance of getting in, however still think the leauge is going with Barca...oh I mean Miami and Vancouver.

Yup. I was also going to make some snarky comment that we could probably find 1 million in his couch at home, but it's been done. :D I've been saying it for some time, but while it would be neat to have an MLS franchise in town (so I could see TFC more often), if it's not downtown, it's not worth doing. And after seeing the recent Melnyk interview on Sportsnet where he claims Otttawa is a soccer city, I think he's becoming more and more delusional (also see the "go blow yourself up" rant which BTW I'm surprised he didn't get fined for - that's a fairly violent statement for a public figure to make). I suppose Melnyk has some chance of being right about Ottawa being a soccer city, but I'm still convinced he's wrong. to me, it looks like he saw TFC's success and wanted to get in on the action, to get a new plaything for the bored billionaire.

flatpicker
02-04-2009, 09:24 AM
If they don't get an MLS team, does anyone think Ottawa would ever try for a USL spot?

BuSaPuNk
02-04-2009, 09:30 AM
If they don't get an MLS team, does anyone think Ottawa would ever try for a USL spot?

Probably not. Melynk like the comment above is looking to cash in on the success of TFC. I don't think he is that commited to have a soccer team in Ottawa.

Beach_Red
02-04-2009, 10:10 AM

Toronto shows that it's MLS or nothing.

On the other hand, Montreal makes a pretty good case for playing in the USL but also the Champions League.

It would probably be a little harder to get the fans out for USL games in Ottawa at first, but they'd still have the Canadian Championship.

Maybe if Melyn does,'t get his MSL franchise, someone else might step up for an Ottawa USL team.

nfitz
02-04-2009, 10:14 AM
$1 million is nothing to him...it's not as if he was unaware of the law suit before he put in a bid for a MLS franchise, I'm sure he's well prepared for the situtation.Surely it's the optics of the MLS awarding a franchise to him, rather than the $.

JamboAl
02-04-2009, 10:22 AM
I'm 100% with Lucky Strike on this one. If Ottawa (Kanata) does get a MLS team, it'll be a poor man's Columbus. This city is much less multi-cultural than Toronto too and people here only like one sport, hockey. Oh yeah, we also like one off events like the U-20 WC or the Grey Cup. As for Melnyk, he's got tons of money; lots of it sheltered offshore probably. And there's always the Ottawa v Toronto rivalry that Melnyk wants to be more a part of...too bad only one half of the equation actually cares about the rivalry.

Fort York Redcoat
02-04-2009, 10:25 AM
I'm all for a rivalry with Ottawa. I care more about taking it to them then any American team. It'll still be akin to the BoO. One side caring more than the other.

Troll
02-04-2009, 01:14 PM
Melnyk = 0
Ecomonic crysis = 1

Spelling = 1
You = 0

:p

Redcoe15
02-04-2009, 01:40 PM
Yes we all know Melnyk has the dough-ray-me to put up a team. The question is, does he have more common sense than dollars and cents? Judging from his recent outbursts at the media, the recent Craig Hartsburgh firing where he's now paying two head coaches NOT to coach, and the recent developments with Biovail that got him slapped with that million dollar fine, the answer seems to be no. I wouldn't put my faith in Melnyk to do what's right for soccer in this country. I think he's using this as a means to get a new outdoor stadium and gain a foothold for all the outdoor events that go with it.

nascarguy
02-04-2009, 11:11 PM
he said on the news that Ottawa is a big soccer city

CretanBull
02-05-2009, 12:21 AM
I'm all for a rivalry with Ottawa. I care more about taking it to them then any American team. It'll still be akin to the BoO. One side caring more than the other.

Exactly, I want someone to hate :D

Ossington Mental Youth
02-05-2009, 12:39 AM
Montreal isnt enough?

Cashcleaner
02-05-2009, 03:17 AM

I'll take that bet!

Actually, I'm really thinking Ottawa just might get a franchise by some freak act of probability but will fold or move elsewhere after less than 5 years.

Mark in Ottawa
02-05-2009, 07:12 AM
I was actually promoting the idea of Ottawa taking Montreal's USL spot once they moved to MLS.... so much for that idea.

Ottawa has a huge soccer presence as far as participation goes but the city is notorious for not promoting second tier sports teams that are not winning. AAA baseball fell into that category as well as the lacrosse franchise.

The 67's junior A hockey team were the only hockey program in town for quite a while and got a good following and core of support. I believe that a USL team aimed at that same fan demographic might work but that is certainly not what Melnyk is looking for.

Interesting though... Jeff Hunt owns the 67's and is involved in the group wanting to redevelop Lansdowne Park and return the CFL to the city. Maybe he would be interested in packaging a USL franchise into his plans if the MLS bid by Melnyk goes south.

Of course the problem with any of this is the current "analysis paralysis" gripping the city about the Lansdowne redevelopment and Melnyk's plan for a soccer stadium in the burbs. :(

Mark in Ottawa
02-05-2009, 07:15 AM
I'll take that bet!

Actually, I'm really thinking Ottawa just might get a franchise by some freak act of probability but will fold or move elsewhere after less than 5 years.

Amazing! This is exactly the statement I made when the Senators were looking or their NHL franchise :eek:

And I was right... almost.
If it hadn't been for Rod Bryden and some fancy accounting the Senators would have been history. He kept them afloat just long enough for Melnyk to arrive on the scene and rescue the operation.

mighty_torontofc_2008
02-05-2009, 10:48 PM

yes i think they will too...Vancouver has failure written all over it....just ask the ravens and grizzlies fans. and bc place is as big of a failure as you can get next to the big owe in Montreal.

Cashcleaner
02-05-2009, 11:08 PM

I wouldn't imagine so. USL would probably work, but I don't think Melnyk is all that interested in the sport as he is making money off it. Yes, you can make money off a USL franchise, but not in the same way that you could with an MLS club.

Mark in Ottawa
02-06-2009, 12:14 PM
I wouldn't imagine so. USL would probably work, but I don't think Melnyk is all that interested in the sport as he is making money off it. Yes, you can make money off a USL franchise, but not in the same way that you could with an MLS club.

Well that is what promotion/relegation is designed for right?
Lower franchises being well run with the possability of a larger payoff down the road.
<sigh>... maybe someday.

Cashcleaner
02-09-2009, 01:24 AM
^ Don't hold your breath. :D

greatwhitenorf
02-09-2009, 02:26 AM
So Melnyk is doing a bad job of running the Sens? In a year when the smartest young hockey prospect - John Tavares - to come down the pipe in 20 years is up for grabs, he has his team well positioned to get a decent shot at him.

Unlike the Leafs, of course, who are defying common sense and managing to make another ill-fated, late-season run for eighth place. D'OHHH!!!!

Melnyk has played his hand in this game very nicely. He gets an MLS team long before Montreal does. Or before Ottawa re-gains a CFL franchise.

Remember, the very rich are very different from you and I.

Bender
02-09-2009, 04:56 AM
So Melnyk is doing a bad job of running the Sens? In a year when the smartest young hockey prospect - John Tavares - to come down the pipe in 20 years is up for grabs, he has his team well positioned to get a decent shot at him.

Unlike the Leafs, of course, who are defying common sense and managing to make another ill-fated, late-season run for eighth place. D'OHHH!!!!

Melnyk has played his hand in this game very nicely. He gets an MLS team long before Montreal does. Or before Ottawa re-gains a CFL franchise.

Remember, the very rich are very different from you and I.

ARE NOT!!! Come trade deadline you will see otherwise ;)

Now as for Melnyk.. pocket change. I'm really routing for Ottawa. The way I see it, Vancouver is a shoe-in for a spot in the MLS, its just a matter of when. If Ottawa and Vancouver could both land a franchise then football in Canada will take a huge step forward. It can only mean good things.

You hear everyone bitchin about the lack of support in Ottawa but if your really paying attention there's no shortage of support for their clubs, just really bad luck when it comes to owners. They supported their CFL club quite well, it was the owners who ran outta town.

They are no different than Toronto. Toronto hardly supported the Lynx, so you can't say "oh well they don't support the footie team they have" or "they don't support the baseball team they have" well, news flash.. don't see anyone going rushing to see the Toronto Maple Leafs baseball team!

Look, footy is growing in this country.. but just like a lot of cities, its the big show or nothing. Lets see what Ottawa can do... I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

This would also bring more clubs into the Canada Cup. Which is an added bonus.

reidjr
02-09-2009, 12:51 PM
As much as i would like to a see a mls team i don't think it will happen.I do think a usl division 1 or division 2 team is pssible.

Redcoe15
02-09-2009, 02:06 PM
You hear everyone bitchin about the lack of support in Ottawa but if your really paying attention there's no shortage of support for their clubs, just really bad luck when it comes to owners. They supported their CFL club quite well, it was the owners who ran outta town.
If that's the case, then it would make sense for Ottawa to build their new stadium to appease a CFL team. Which means Melnyk will throw a hissy fit and take his ball and go home. :D

They are no different than Toronto. Toronto hardly supported the Lynx, so you can't say "oh well they don't support the footie team they have" or "they don't support the baseball team they have" well, news flash.. don't see anyone going rushing to see the Toronto Maple Leafs baseball team!
They don't advertise for Leafs baseball games. And they don't sell tickets either.

Look, footy is growing in this country.. but just like a lot of cities, its the big show or nothing. Lets see what Ottawa can do... I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

This would also bring more clubs into the Canada Cup. Which is an added bonus.

A) With a team being proposed waaaay out in Kanata, I'd say it won't surprise me if they couldn't draw flies to shit.

B) Ottawa can play in the Canada Cup out of USL-1, which is really the best they can hope for and deserve. The best shot for Canadian content in MLS lies with Vancouver and Montreal. Lets wait first to see how they do before giving consideration to Ottawa, Calgary, Edmonton, etc.

greatwhitenorf
02-09-2009, 05:56 PM
Redcoe: There's a tone coming out of Montreal that MLS seems to find unappealing. Saputo's abrasive spoutings about the quality of MLS play or not paying full whack for a franchise has made the team into something MLS probably love to make an example out of. Their stadium's no palace either and you should also consider the negative publicity on how the club and Franco-Canadian soccer have fans have conducted themselves on recent game nights. I think MLS are aware that it's a good market, but this isn't the group they want to go forward with.

Vancouver city council has had their heads up their own backsides for so long they've begun to enjoy the view. BC Place is not the answer to soccer's long-term needs, but they refuse to deal with it.

On the other hand, Melnyk has money, is willing to plunk it down without publicly stating uncomfortable questions and has a great track record in producing successful sports ventures. Kanata is a veritable drive and a four iron away from central Ottawa. And the highway is getting widened, to go along with the express bus lanes. Hasn't stopped the Sens from enjoying full houses, won't really hurt soccer either.

I've always enjoyed the bars in the area or walking up to the Glebe, but for many fans from the suburbs who drive in, Lansdowne's area is just so congested that traffic is a nightmare. Can take just as long to get out of the district and home as it does to get back from Kanata.

Ottawa's a very good market and it doesn't presently have a CFL team to create competition for summer media coverage or the dollars available from sponsors, suite buyers or ticket-buying fans.

And it's a national capital, something that always carries more prestige, and possibly much-needed future political clout, than ordinary cities. And it still fulfills the mandate of giving Toronto a natural rival.

Boom. Done.

Redcoe15
02-09-2009, 08:34 PM
Redcoe: There's a tone coming out of Montreal that MLS seems to find unappealing. Saputo's abrasive spoutings about the quality of MLS play or not paying full whack for a franchise has made the team into something MLS probably love to make an example out of. Their stadium's no palace either and you should also consider the negative publicity on how the club and Franco-Canadian soccer have fans have conducted themselves on recent game nights. I think MLS are aware that it's a good market, but this isn't the group they want to go forward with.

Vancouver city council has had their heads up their own backsides for so long they've begun to enjoy the view. BC Place is not the answer to soccer's long-term needs, but they refuse to deal with it.

On the other hand, Melnyk has money, is willing to plunk it down without publicly stating uncomfortable questions and has a great track record in producing successful sports ventures. Kanata is a veritable drive and a four iron away from central Ottawa. And the highway is getting widened, to go along with the express bus lanes. Hasn't stopped the Sens from enjoying full houses, won't really hurt soccer either.

I've always enjoyed the bars in the area or walking up to the Glebe, but for many fans from the suburbs who drive in, Lansdowne's area is just so congested that traffic is a nightmare. Can take just as long to get out of the district and home as it does to get back from Kanata.

Ottawa's a very good market and it doesn't presently have a CFL team to create competition for summer media coverage or the dollars available from sponsors, suite buyers or ticket-buying fans.

And it's a national capital, something that always carries more prestige, and possibly much-needed future political clout, than ordinary cities. And it still fulfills the mandate of giving Toronto a natural rival.

Boom. Done.
And how is Melnyk going to build his field of dreams if he needs several levels of government to give him the money, as has been revealed? Do you think they're just going to hand him the cash so he can build a soccer specific stadium way out in Kanata, away from the downtown core? Says here any new outdoor facility the Ottawa region builds will have to have to be built with a Canadian football field in mind, which is what Melnyk doesn't want. And you are aware that Jeff Hunt's group was given a conditional CFL franchise on the basis that said stadium needs to be built. I'd say the CFL has a leg up on MLS at this point.

And I doubt most people in the region share your view about the drive to Kanata. They'll do it for the Senators because it's NHL hockey. Would they do it for MLS soccer? I don't think so. As TFC has proven, being in the city is the best chance for success.

And you criticize the soccer culture of Montreal. At least there is a soccer culture there. Same can't be said for Ottawa. And you're going to hold it against Greg Kerfoot and the Whitecaps that Vancouver city council can't get its act together when you don't know what Ottawa will decide themselves? At least Kerfoot has a more than adequate facility to play in until he gets his own stadium built.

And if the recent "success" of the Senators is any indication, I would say Melnyk's ability to create successful sports ventures is questionable. Especially given his truculent attitute recently.

So no, I don't share your wisdom that an MLS team in Ottawa is boom, done. Your city is more suspect of success than you seem to realize. And the notion that its the nation's capital and an idea rival to Toronto is wishful thinking.