PDA

View Full Version : Dear Sportsnet: Turn up the good turn down the suck

canadian_bhoy
05-25-2008, 09:43 AM
They had the suck knob turned up to 10 last night.
I don't know what I found more frustrating when I was watching the match last night, the poor timing of half screen anoying graphics, craig forrest and gerry dobson rambling on and on and on about things that had nothing to do with the match or (and I think this one is the winner) the constant close ups and camera shots where you couldn't see the match!

I don't need to see a replay every time the ball goes out of bounds. When it goes out for a corner, don't show the replay and almost miss the corner!!!!

Gerry and Craig need to focus on the task at hand. I know they want to give broader opinions of TFC but talk about the match!

End of rant.

RealG-TFC
05-25-2008, 09:46 AM
the camera work wasn't their fault.

Fort York Redcoat
05-25-2008, 09:46 AM
At the pub we couldn't hear the shite talk but many expletives shared over graphics and crowd shots DURING play...

Graphics are for the half and possesion stats would be nice...

Broadview
05-25-2008, 09:50 AM
The same thing with the close ups/missing game action happened on the Wednesday telecast. Annoyed the hell out of me as well.

Do they have to use the DC feed or something when they're down there?

Graphics blocking important plays was also a problem.

Turning down the suck would be great.

mighty_torontofc_2008
05-25-2008, 09:51 AM
I don't know what I found more frustrating when I was watching the match last night, the poor timing of half screen anoying graphics, craig forrest and gerry dobson rambling on and on and on about things that had nothing to do with the match or (and I think this one is the winner) the constant close ups and camera shots where you couldn't see the match!

I don't need to see a replay every time the ball goes out of bounds. When it goes out for a corner, don't show the replay and almost miss the corner!!!!

Gerry and Craig need to focus on the task at hand. I know they want to give broader opinions of TFC but talk about the match!

End of rant.

the on screen graphics are a pain in the ass thats for sure. Nigel rReed would be better on these broadcast then Gerry Dobson, Dobson has no style for the game.

MisterMacphisto
05-25-2008, 09:55 AM
====================

Daveisonfire
05-25-2008, 09:57 AM
Those close up iso-shots were totally unnecessary and rather busch-league...same with the on screen graphics...I don't know who to blame...but it was terrible for sure

rocker
05-25-2008, 09:59 AM
ya i remember that Moreno closeup..it went on forever it seemed while the game was going on elsewhere.
the on screen graphics I was screaming at... "get that shit off the screen".

It's interesting that some of the worst games TFC has played have been shown on sportsnet ;)

Pigfynn
05-25-2008, 10:12 AM
I hated last night's broadcast for all the reasons you guys have mentioned. I think the various channels (CBC, RSN etc.) need a lesson from a production team based in Europe or South America. They don't have the slightest idea what they're doing.

Maybe when they miss a goal because of all their fucking around, they'll get enough angry emails and letters to realize there is a problem.

ensco
05-25-2008, 10:13 AM
I still haven't had a good look at that late corner with the possible handball, or seen how Robert got the red.

It was only the most important play of the game

Pigfynn
05-25-2008, 10:17 AM
....and.....News Flash! there are no breaks in play in soccer! just because you want there to be, doesn't mean there is! Don't try to stiffle the flow with talk, talk, talk ...graphics and fucking replays...next thing it will be ads flying around blocking the action..Fuck!

canadian_bhoy
05-25-2008, 10:39 AM
Oh man, my TV almost became the new design for Boeing last night when they had that Moreno close up at the end of the match.
Did they really need to show him for 15 seconds sitting on the bench when the play was on?

Nuvinho
05-25-2008, 10:45 AM
Just stop broadcasting on Sportsnet, we haven't won a game when its on Sportsnet......haha!!!

Sportsnet 0-3-0
Score 2-0-1
CBC 2-0-1

Don't know if that is correct....but a funny fact!!

rocker
05-25-2008, 10:51 AM
Just stop broadcasting on Sportsnet, we haven't won a game when its on Sportsnet......haha!!!

Sportsnet 0-3-0
Score 2-0-1
CBC 2-0-1

like I said above, some of the WORST games this team has played have been shown on sportsnet. not that there's any connection there ;)
but I think I get this deep down dislike of sportsnet broadcasts because it taps into my subconcious memories of bad TFC games.
When I watch CBC I get more positive associations ;)

Pigfynn
05-25-2008, 10:54 AM
^ I agree with this...strange but true

Cambridge_Red
05-25-2008, 10:58 AM
Hated the coverage. I also love how theres zero build up towards the game!!! Why not do some interviews or past history between the clubs or something ffs!

MFBODD
05-25-2008, 11:34 AM
I'm pretty sure a majority of stations/networks in North America do not know how to carry a match properly, both visually and via commentary. I find the same goes for watching a hockey game on a U.S. channel vs. watching on CBC/TSN, etc... It's just not the same. In fact, I find some of the Reds road/MLS games that we get to see on a US feed are carried much in the same manner as a hockey game. The L.A. game earlier this season was better to watch with the Spanish commentary than it was on FSN in the U.S. and I couldn't undersand most of the stuff being said. Their (FSN) commentator kept going on about 2 points for win! I'm not saying that this is always the case and obviously Sportsnet is guilty of sucking as well, but I hope people smarten up overall. Calling a game in any sport is somewhat of an art form and you can't simply treat one sport the same as you would for another. Same goes for directing...you can't cut to replays all the time...I hope Sportsnet changes fast.

RPLProducer
05-25-2008, 01:52 PM
Never saw the game on sportsnet (I watched the DC coverage on MLS live) but i know exactly what you guys mean! Believe me when i tell you that the DC broadcast wasn't exactly emmy winning stuff either! IMO De Vos did a much better job than Forrest on the colour commentary. Much more knowledgeable and he did a good job sticking to the game.

ilikemusic
05-25-2008, 02:10 PM
I don't know who was responsible for the camera work, but I was getting so fucking annoyed at the close-ups when the play was on.

There was one time late in the game, they must of been following Moreno and his fucking highlights for 15 seconds while the play was going on. I almost threw something at my television. It was so annoying.

ya i remember that Moreno closeup..it went on forever it seemed while the game was going on elsewhere.
the on screen graphics I was screaming at... "get that shit off the screen".

Oh man, my TV almost became the new design for Boeing last night when they had that Moreno close up at the end of the match.
Did they really need to show him for 15 seconds sitting on the bench when the play was on?

That 20 seconds was the most excruciating bit of broadcasting ive ever seen in all my life of watching sports. What in the fuck were they thinking?!

And the giant half screen graphics they used in an attempt to broadcast a Blue Jays game were unbelievable. I dont need to see the schedule for their next 5 games while im watching this one.

:taz:

Global_Warning
05-25-2008, 03:16 PM
This was the worst soccer broadcast I've ever seen. The 20 second close-ups of guys backs while the play was going on nearly killed me. I was screaming at the T.V. all night, "SHOW THE GAME!!!!!"

poppamidnight
05-25-2008, 03:31 PM
Okay Im gunna go a little away from the norm here...

I applaud Sportsnet camera work for the quality of up-close instant replays...
I can't count the number of matches where I see someone flopping around on the pitch, and I automatically assume he's an outright wanker...

Yesterdays multiple shot replay of the Guevara injury showed me Amado aiint (that much of) a pussy... Hitting his ankle on the defender and kinda a bad spot....

Your traditional shite ESPN broadcasts give you 1 replay... take it or leave it...
Obstructed view of what you wanted to see???
....tough luck....

With that said, I'll agree, they need to time their implementation of replays a little better, and cut to the play if a quick kick is taken....

I have absolutely no problem cutting away from the play when the ball is in the stands and the players are chirping for a ball-boy to get on it and toss a ball over

mighty_torontofc_2008
05-25-2008, 05:54 PM
This was the worst soccer broadcast I've ever seen. The 20 second close-ups of guys backs while the play was going on nearly killed me. I was screaming at the T.V. all night, "SHOW THE GAME!!!!!"

suggestion...don't scream at the tv...send a polite angry email to sportsnet...if 20,000 fans did that?

MrHawk
05-25-2008, 06:04 PM
there'd be one large massive reply sent back to 20,000 fans

katatonic
05-25-2008, 07:31 PM

Sportsnet 0-3-0
Score 2-0-1
CBC 2-0-1

thats very scary statistic...i'm not tuning in to Sportsnet from now on.

Hooligan69
05-25-2008, 08:02 PM

Sportsnet 0-3-0
Score 2-0-1
CBC 2-0-1

This gives me just one more reason to despise Sportsnet. None of our games should be shown on that channel. It's an evil curse.

torfchamilton
05-25-2008, 09:29 PM
I watched the game with my wife and she was getting annoyed at how many times I complained of teh clsoe-up shots while the game was going on. On another note where the hell were the replays when you really need them. The handball(?) at the end, robert's sending. I am assuming he was sent off for bitching at the handball, but let us judge it. I pulled my hair out at the whole production of the game. The sound absolutely sucked. I put it on comcast and you could hear the crowd and the stadium. The only problem was that I had to listen to Thomas Rongen

ExiledRed
05-25-2008, 09:45 PM
I honestly dont know what 'quarterbacking' is (no, really I dont),

Apparently Carl Robinson was doing it all game though.

Toerag
05-26-2008, 07:48 AM
I cant put my finger on it, but Craig Forrest does my head in !

TorontoBlades
05-26-2008, 09:31 AM

End of rant.

this drove me nuts....I thought we would've missed a goal by the end of the match. Dobson gives me the heebeejeebee's and he reminds me of a Canadian version of an American commentator....with a constant need to dummy up his analysis of every play like his whole audience is my nephews Grade 1 class.

End of Rant.

rocker
05-26-2008, 09:35 AM
one thing i notice with Dobson is he sometimes doesn't watch the linesmen or the ref. So on TV you'll know exactly what's happening just by watching the officials, while Dobson is saying something else is occurring. I forget exactly, but there was some infraction and Dobson didn't see it but it was clear from viewing the official what had happened. Forrest cleared it up tho.

MartinUtd
05-26-2008, 11:23 AM
I can deal with the instant replays, its the 10-second-at-a-time crowd shots that do me in.

Technorgasm
05-26-2008, 12:25 PM
Craig Forest Played for West Ham. . did you know that?

He takes every broadcast as an opportunity to remind you.

My 0.02$

(although he never tells how he was not allowed to stay with Chelsea. . or his stint at Norwich? or Ipswitch? or something like that)

Caig Forrerst IS very outspoken TFC fan though, and for that. . I give him props. . .

SilverSamurai
05-26-2008, 12:27 PM
Craig Forest Played for West Ham. . did you know that?

He takes every broadcast as an opportunity to remind you.

My 0.02$

(although he never tells how he was not allowed to stay with Chelsea. . or his stint at Norwich? or Ipswitch? or something like that)

Caig Forrerst IS very outspoken TFC fan though, and for that. . I give him props. . .

I thought he was a Whitecaps supporter? Oh well. He's good and wish he could be the 1 running the CSA. Maybe something would actually get done!:canada:

thisisinternetclash
05-26-2008, 10:48 PM
I actually think that CBC does a good job, considering that there was bound to be some compromise between the traditional 'grammar' of soccer coverage and what's expected of a North American sports broadcast. I'm surprised that this isn't the consensus opinion. I think that it was really inspired bringing in Nigel and Mitch Peacock rather than attempting to shoehorn some existing CBC Sports personality into an unfamiliar role.

Forrest certainly has his faults, but with few exceptions the ex-player analysts drafted in by soccer broadcasters worldwide contribute little to a broadcast almost as a rule. Someone like, say, David Pleat in England is at least just as poor.

It's Dobson that I really take issue with. He's absolutely terrible as a play-by-play man. He's generally pretty innocuous and does a serviceable job in his other roles for Sportsnet, but he simple is not a live-match commentator and I'd be shocked if he ever became one. A very, very trenchant distinction could be made, last season, between the Forrest-Reed commentary and the Forrest-Dobson matches. He's absolutely brutal. I don't blame him, personally, but he's completely and utterly out of his element.