PDA

View Full Version : Today’s News, Monday , Feb.02

denime
02-02-2009, 06:57 AM
Mornin'

No TFC News for now,if you find some please post it here.

SUNSHINE (http://www.torontosun.com/sunshinegirl/)

Stouffville_RPB
02-02-2009, 07:59 AM
SSG has set the bar for the week. Will any other SSG come close? Sadly I think not.

Oldtimer
02-02-2009, 08:40 AM
More news on the Beckham circus:

Well, that escalated quickly, didn't it?

Four months after his two-month loan deal was agreed upon, two weeks after his first appearance for the club, and one week after his first goal, A.C. Milan want to make their loan deal with David Beckham permanent.

The Italian giants have reportedly offered around $11 million to secure Mr.Posh's services. My advice to Major League Soccer: drive up the sale price a bit, take the money, send Becks a nice thank-you card, and move forward.

Beckham has performed admirably, but the team around him has been so horrendous that the combination of him, Landon Donovan and Edson
Buddle haven't kept the Galaxy from the league's basement. Perhaps
the team could benefit from the removal of the Beckham sideshow. If
Beckham is back with the Galaxy in 2009, he probably won't be happy
about it, based on his recent comments about Milan. Does head coach
Bruce Arena really want to embark on a rebuilding project with a
superstar who doesn't want to be a part of it?

http://www.goal.com/en-us/news/1110/major-league-soccer/2009/01/29/1084097/goalcommentary-the-end-of-the-beckham-era

Now the wheeling-dealing will go on (and today is the deadline).

The unfortunate part is that Galaxy management does not appear to be in sync with reality. The manner in which the loan was brokered in the first place provided a number of signals that Beckham was in greater control of his contract and stay in MLS than is the Galaxy or MLS. In fact, it was Arena himself, who, back in October 2008 -- when the loan was being brokered -- described the matter as an "..odd proposition.." and his reaction to it at the time seemed to indicate that loan discussions had occurred without his knowledge.
This week, while Arena adamantly expressed that Beckham would be back, MLS Commissioner Don Garber was asked about the possibility of Beckham staying in Europe and said: "If it's something that makes sense for him and the Galaxy we'll certainly be supportive of that, but it's way too premature to comment." Then, when asked about the rumor of AC Milan plans to offer a $6.5M transfer fee for Beckham, Garber stated "That wouldn't be something we would even remotely close consider," and later added, "Jozy Altidore signed for $10 million, so ."

http://laist.com/2009/02/01/chivas_usa_opens_camp_while_galaxy.php

Carter
02-02-2009, 08:51 AM
SSG has set the bar for the week. Will any other SSG come close? Sadly I think not.

She enjoys soccer and watching a show... Well someone give her my number she can be an RPG anytime.

Chevy
02-02-2009, 08:57 AM

18 and loves soccer and snowboarding? Gents, meet my future ex-wife. :yum:

TFC Cityboy
02-02-2009, 09:36 AM
The boys are back at BMO today for medicals, right?

Flipityflu
02-02-2009, 09:44 AM
The boys are back at BMO today for medicals, right?

YES :)

Eastend
02-02-2009, 09:58 AM
apperently there is a presser to meet the players.....so said Z103 anyway.....atleast TFC starting camp was mentioned on a FM radio station.

Luanda
02-02-2009, 11:34 AM
Any info on trialists?

Parkdale
02-02-2009, 01:26 PM
I see Beckham's agent bringing him back for long enough to print his name on the back of the new jerseys, so then he can leave and bank some merchandise royalties.

say what you will about the team, their new dark jersey is a really well designed kit.

Nodoubtguy
02-02-2009, 01:27 PM
apperently there is a presser to meet the players.....so said Z103 anyway.....atleast TFC starting camp was mentioned on a FM radio station.

They said on "Its called Football" that there was a presser today too....

nascarguy
02-02-2009, 01:35 PM
the transfer fee for Beckham should be more like 15 to 20m

deltox
02-02-2009, 01:37 PM
Academy beats U of T

http://toronto.fc.mlsnet.com/news/team_news.jsp?ymd=20090202&content_id=215250&vkey=news_t280&fext=.jsp&team=t280

In a tough battle against the University of Toronto on Sunday at Varsity Stadium, a young group of TFC Academy trialists edged a result over the CIS Men's Squad. With goals from Darian Bygrave, Andrew Serediuk and Matias Naalband the Junior Academy prevailed to win 3-2. The Junior Academy was under the gun for several minutes in the first half as U of T dominated with a lot of penetrating passes and runs from midfield. This trend continued in spots in the second half as the young boys made every effort to stand up to the larger and at times faster opposition.
"We never really dealt with their movement on and off the ball well enough. They caught our back line napping at times. If it was not for the heroics of our goalkeeper today, Justin Silveira, it may well have been a different outcome," said Stuart Neely, Junior Academy Head Coach. "Having said that I am extremely happy with their combative spirit and ability at times to play football and get themselves out of trouble. We have a long way to go before we can expect a complete match from these boys and we are extremely grateful to the U of T for the challenge. Head Coach, Anthony Capotosto and his staff treated us very well."
In the next month the TFC Junior Academy (group of trialists) play 3 matches against the Ontario Soccer Association Provincial Program. By mid-March 2009, the TFC Academy will be making offers to players from both squads to play for the TFC Junior Academy in the CSL Reserve Division. The games are schedule for:
• Sunday, Feb 8th, 2009 at BMO Field. Kick off 2:15 p.m.
• Sunday, Feb 22nd, 2009 at BMO Field. Kick off 2:15 p.m.
• Sunday, March 1st, 2009 at BMO Field. Kick off 2:15 .pm.
"These matches are crucial for both sets of players. It is important that the players focus on their performances and not the result at this stage. I will use these matches to view all players in competitive match conditions. I am very interested in a number of the current OSA players, but also a good number of our current trialists," stated Neely.

ccopela
02-02-2009, 01:39 PM
Any info on trialists?

Couple weeks ago we heard that Keon Daniel (Trinidad) and Gregory Richardson (Guyana I think) are going to be on trial. I'm sure there's going to be some others though.

billyfly
02-02-2009, 01:42 PM
http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/2009/02/02/epl_window/

Transfer window extended

deltox
02-02-2009, 01:43 PM
http://toronto.fc.mlsnet.com/mls/schedule/2009/preseason.jsp

looks like there are some pre season games against the fire and the red bulls (are shite).

nascarguy
02-02-2009, 01:47 PM
did you see this

Columbus Crew vs. Liverpool Reserves

Lucky Strike
02-02-2009, 01:47 PM
Couple weeks ago we heard that Keon Daniel (Trinidad) and Gregory Richardson (Guyana I think) are going to be on trial. I'm sure there's going to be some others though.

I know that Richardson is/will be there on trial for sure. You're right, he is from Guyana, plays for Joe Public FC in T&T. I also heard that Daniel would come to trial but I haven't anything more since then.

Lucky Strike
02-02-2009, 01:50 PM
did you see this

Columbus Crew vs. Liverpool Reserves

Columbus just has to win that, otherwise that'll be pretty embarrassing for them. True, it's the Liverpool reserves and they are a top team in a top league (so their reserves will be good) but it would look embarrassing nonetheless. I don't know if I explained that well...

ccopela
02-02-2009, 01:57 PM
http://toronto.fc.mlsnet.com/mls/schedule/2009/preseason.jsp

looks like there are some pre season games against the fire and the red bulls (are shite).

And Olimpia or Municipal on Feb 21st. in Florida. Interesting.

Toronto Ruffrider
02-02-2009, 01:59 PM
Don't sack Mitchell ... now (http://www.torontosun.com/sports/othersports/2009/02/02/8232231-sun.html)

By GARETH WHEELER (gareth.wheeler@suntv.canoe.ca)

It was a bad week for the Canadian Soccer Association.

First it was men's national team player of the year Julian de Guzman blasting the CSA as "amateur."

Then, the Canadian soccer supporters group, the Voyageurs, demanded the replacement of national team head coach Dale Mitchell.

Neither of the comments was particularly shocking -- CSA-bashing has become commonplace, even trendy.

When the CSA in the past was not operating up to par, the criticism was well-warranted.

But the CSA, still reeling from the disappointment of a miserable World Cup qualifying campaign, doesn't need or deserve any more bad press.

For soccer in Canada to go forward, the bickering and bad-mouthing needs to stop. Call it Public Relations 101: It's time for a shift in attitude when it comes to Canadian soccer.

The governance of soccer in this nation isn't yet where it needs to be. But it's a process, and the "new" CSA is moving in a far better direction.

The process of change is coming through general secretary Peter Montopoli, who has been running the show since last March.

It has been less than a year, but under Montopoli's leadership, the CSA has opened the door for positive communication with its players, set out organizational directives and goals for the coming years, while developing mutually beneficial relationships with Canada's professional teams.

These are small steps, but hurdles that have been overcome nonetheless.

Over the years, Canadian players repeatedly complained about inferior treatment from the CSA, whether it regarded travel, accommodations, schedules, etc.

Montopoli and the CSA moved to fix the problem last June in Montreal, meeting with their players. The players had carte blanche voicing their concerns, letting the CSA know what they required to succeed. The CSA obliged, with national team captain Paul Stalteri publicly saying the CSA went above and beyond during the qualifying campaign.

The CSA vows to continue making player-centric decisions going forward -- a step in the right direction.

Keeping the players happy is one thing, but the real way to silence critics is a consolidated effort focused solely on 2014 World Cup qualification. No disrespect to the 2009 Gold Cup, but all eyes must be on 2014.

And with that the case, the CSA's top priority should not be to immediately replace the head coach.

That doesn't mean Dale Mitchell is the right man to lead the side into 2014. His past results dictate otherwise -- in a result-driven industry, Mitchell failed.

But with the CSA negotiating for a head coach for the women's program, adding a men's coach to its shopping list isn't practical.

HE KNOWS THE KIDS

Regardless of the women's situation and despite Mitchell's failures with the men's or under-20 national teams, the fact remains that he knows the young players coming through the system.

And it's the players with whom he has experience, such as Asmir Begovic, David Edgar and Jamie Peters, to show whether they can make the jump to the next level. 2009 is all about a youth movement.

So right now, Mitchell may be the right man for the job by default. There aren't any other tangible and immediate replacements out there. The idea that Canada needs to bring in a foreign coach is all too obscure. Without names or concrete solutions (technical director Stephen Hart doesn't count, as he is still massively influential and well-placed in his current role), it would be change for the sake of change.

Let's see how Mitchell does with the kids with 2009.

On that note, more games will be announced in preparation for the Gold Cup in the coming months, including home dates for 2009.

Alarius
02-02-2009, 02:41 PM
Don't sack Mitchell ... now (http://www.torontosun.com/sports/othersports/2009/02/02/8232231-sun.html)

By GARETH WHEELER (gareth.wheeler@suntv.canoe.ca)

It was a bad week for the Canadian Soccer Association.

First it was men's national team player of the year Julian de Guzman blasting the CSA as "amateur."

Then, the Canadian soccer supporters group, the Voyageurs, demanded the replacement of national team head coach Dale Mitchell.

Neither of the comments was particularly shocking -- CSA-bashing has become commonplace, even trendy.

When the CSA in the past was not operating up to par, the criticism was well-warranted.

But the CSA, still reeling from the disappointment of a miserable World Cup qualifying campaign, doesn't need or deserve any more bad press.

For soccer in Canada to go forward, the bickering and bad-mouthing needs to stop. Call it Public Relations 101: It's time for a shift in attitude when it comes to Canadian soccer.

The governance of soccer in this nation isn't yet where it needs to be. But it's a process, and the "new" CSA is moving in a far better direction.

The process of change is coming through general secretary Peter Montopoli, who has been running the show since last March.

It has been less than a year, but under Montopoli's leadership, the CSA has opened the door for positive communication with its players, set out organizational directives and goals for the coming years, while developing mutually beneficial relationships with Canada's professional teams.

These are small steps, but hurdles that have been overcome nonetheless.

Over the years, Canadian players repeatedly complained about inferior treatment from the CSA, whether it regarded travel, accommodations, schedules, etc.

Montopoli and the CSA moved to fix the problem last June in Montreal, meeting with their players. The players had carte blanche voicing their concerns, letting the CSA know what they required to succeed. The CSA obliged, with national team captain Paul Stalteri publicly saying the CSA went above and beyond during the qualifying campaign.

The CSA vows to continue making player-centric decisions going forward -- a step in the right direction.

Keeping the players happy is one thing, but the real way to silence critics is a consolidated effort focused solely on 2014 World Cup qualification. No disrespect to the 2009 Gold Cup, but all eyes must be on 2014.

And with that the case, the CSA's top priority should not be to immediately replace the head coach.

That doesn't mean Dale Mitchell is the right man to lead the side into 2014. His past results dictate otherwise -- in a result-driven industry, Mitchell failed.

But with the CSA negotiating for a head coach for the women's program, adding a men's coach to its shopping list isn't practical.

HE KNOWS THE KIDS

Regardless of the women's situation and despite Mitchell's failures with the men's or under-20 national teams, the fact remains that he knows the young players coming through the system.

And it's the players with whom he has experience, such as Asmir Begovic, David Edgar and Jamie Peters, to show whether they can make the jump to the next level. 2009 is all about a youth movement.

So right now, Mitchell may be the right man for the job by default. There aren't any other tangible and immediate replacements out there. The idea that Canada needs to bring in a foreign coach is all too obscure. Without names or concrete solutions (technical director Stephen Hart doesn't count, as he is still massively influential and well-placed in his current role), it would be change for the sake of change.

Let's see how Mitchell does with the kids with 2009.

On that note, more games will be announced in preparation for the Gold Cup in the coming months, including home dates for 2009.

WRONG

smeghead
02-02-2009, 02:42 PM
bullshit. Fire his ass.

Oldtimer
02-02-2009, 02:45 PM
If the CSA can't afford to fire Mitchell, they should make Hart the coach, and Mitchell his assistant.

Toronto Ruffrider
02-02-2009, 02:49 PM
^ I agree wholeheartedly. I read Wheeler's piece in the Sun, and I pretty much disagree with everything he said. We need a new MNT coach NOW. We cannot afford to waste any more time tiptoeing around this completely unproductive coaching arrangement.

By the way, if our goal is to ease younger players into the senior team, I would be more comfortable having Nick Dasovic as an interim coach instead of Dale Mitchell. Since there is unrest at the senior level, I'm more than willing to bet that there was unrest at the youth level when Dale was coaching. We all know how well our budding players performed at the U-20 World Cup.

Toronto Ruffrider
02-02-2009, 02:52 PM
If the CSA can't afford to fire Mitchell, they should make Hart the coach, and Mitchell his assistant.

That would seem like a straightforward solution. There are plenty of ways of improving the MNT without going out and spending more money. I think the CSA hasn't fired Mitchell yet because of pride more than anything.

jloome
02-02-2009, 03:38 PM
Columbus just has to win that, otherwise that'll be pretty embarrassing for them. True, it's the Liverpool reserves and they are a top team in a top league (so their reserves will be good) but it would look embarrassing nonetheless. I don't know if I explained that well...

You're kidding, right?

If this were competitive, Liverpool's reserves would wipe the floor with any MLS team, backwards and forwards.

Flipityflu
02-02-2009, 05:40 PM
if you are wondering why the City of Toronto hasn't ponied up the monies for real grass, this may explain things...

http://www.citynews.ca/news/news_31765.aspx

BFin
02-02-2009, 06:12 PM
if you are wondering why the City of Toronto hasn't ponied up the monies for real grass, this may explain things...

http://www.citynews.ca/news/news_31765.aspx
Design a BMO field beach chair and paint the bottom of it green with the words WE WANT GRASS written on it. Might not make a point, but it would be funny, and could raise a few eyebrows.

Razcle
02-02-2009, 06:12 PM
I could not agree less with Gareth Wheeler's article....What a fuckin douche....What Canada needs it to get Mitchell's ass out of Dodge and get in an interm to start calming the storm and building the player's confidences back up.

"Mitchell knows these kids." Which Mitchell are you talking about because Dale drove the team into the ground and obviously didn't know any of them based on the way they played in the 2010 qualifying.

F-off Wheeler

flatpicker
02-02-2009, 06:58 PM
there was a rather impressive feature story on CTV news tonight, covering the first day of practice at BMO.
Interviews with DeRo, Kyle Hall, and Brennan.
They discussed the obvious issues, but also the impressive amount "home-grown" content on the team.
DeRo talked about the ability to develop many more "DeRosario's and Brennan's" in this country thanks to TFC and soccer programs.

jloome
02-02-2009, 07:30 PM
I could not agree less with Gareth Wheeler's article....What a fuckin douche....What Canada needs it to get Mitchell's ass out of Dodge and get in an interm to start calming the storm and building the player's confidences back up.

"Mitchell knows these kids." Which Mitchell are you talking about because Dale drove the team into the ground and obviously didn't know any of them based on the way they played in the 2010 qualifying.

F-off Wheeler

You know, it is possible to disagree with a guy covering your sport when few others are -- and for free, largely on his own time -- without calling him a douchebag.

Yes, he's delusionally off-base. But who hasn't written a column in which he or she took a contrary position essentially just to get people talking? Pretty much every writer, everywhere.

It's lazy and smacks of inexperience, as anyone with a pedigree could find many more interesting things about the CSA to cover without this suggestion. But it doesn't make him a douchebag, and if you keep telling him (and other TFC writers) to fuck off, eventually you'll get your wish.

TorCanSoc
02-02-2009, 09:36 PM
Wheeler's a huge fan of soccer, and TFC. But man did he get this one dead dead dead wrong. Mitchell was an epic epic epic fail. He had the best preapred national team side of any in the history of Canadian soccer. The U20s played the ...
United Sates
Portugal
Brazil (three times)
Belgium
Scotland
Czech Republic
and Argentina.
And buddy couldn't get them to score one phkn goal during the YWC. The worst host side showing at an international men's world cup. One of Mitchell's responses to losing so badly, was teams knew them too well. They got studied? ARE YOU FUCKING SERIOUS?!!!!

Wheeler?!! No man. Just no. Love your enthusiasm, but man you're dead dead dead wrong on this one. Mitchell's middle name is Loss. I can talk tough on a forum saying I'd kick Mitchell's ass if I saw him. But truly, I wouldn't shake his hand if offered. He frustrated me, he's taken away my National Team. He's taken from me personally. Complete and utter failure.

flatpicker
02-02-2009, 11:23 PM
is this soccer news?

(http://www.canadiandriver.com/2009/02/02/honda-fc-to-debut-at-toronto-auto-show.htm) Honda FC to debut at Toronto auto show (http://www.canadiandriver.com/2009/02/02/honda-fc-to-debut-at-toronto-auto-show.htm)

http://www.canadiandriver.com/galleries/2009/thumbs/mdm-4527-honda-fc-sport-4527.jpg (http://www.canadiandriver.com/galleries/images.php?info=Honda%20FC%20Sport%20concept&src=http://www.canadiandriver.com/galleries/2009/images/news_photos_2009/general/honda-fc-sport-4527.jpg)
Honda FC Sport concept

Toronto, Ontario -

The Honda FC Sport concept, a hydrogen-powered three-seat sports car, will make its Canadian debut at the Canadian International Auto Show in Toronto on February 11.
The FC Sport uses Honda’s V Flow fuel cell technology, already deployed in the Honda FCX Clarity sedan, and reconfigures it into a lightweight sports car design with electric motor performance and zero emissions.
“The Honda FC Sport explores new ways to satisfy automotive performance enthusiasts in a world beyond petroleum,” said Jerry Chenkin, executive vice-president of Honda Canada. “People who enjoy sports cars will not be forgotten by Honda in a hydrogen-powered future.”
The FC Sport is configured to accommodate a custom-formed high-power fuel cell stack between the rear seats, and a battery pack placed low in the middle of the vehicle. The electric motor is placed just forward of the rear axle, while two fuel storage tanks are located above the rear axle. The three-passenger interior layout provides a racecar-style centre driving position, with an enclosed canopy that opens upward from the rear for entry and exit.
The FC Sport design study was developed at the Advanced Design Studio of Honda R&D Americas in Pasadena, California.

:)
I just thought it was funny that this ended up in my email under Toronto FC google alerts.