PDA

View Full Version : TFC Tickets on Ebay

canadian_bhoy
02-01-2009, 11:24 AM
Just took a peek on ebay - unlike the last two seasons, there are a TON of seats available (Scalpers).

Tickets for individual matches and full seasons.

Sad to see.

FluSH
02-01-2009, 11:24 AM
any in 112?

canadian_bhoy
02-01-2009, 11:26 AM
any in 112?

Don't think so. I didn't look that closely.

The season ticket I saw was in 125

egoodwin
02-01-2009, 11:36 AM
how does this ass have 10 seats...

daner90
02-01-2009, 04:08 PM
and once again they are a charging soooo much for these tickets, fuck I hate scalpers...

thank god for the ticket trader

Toronto Ruffrider
02-01-2009, 04:11 PM
how does this ass have 10 seats...

His tickets must have been grandfathered from the first season, when there was no limit to the number of season seats each person could hold. Although fans cannot obtain more than four season tickets now, the ones who already have more than this number haven't been forced to give up their extras.

Carter
02-01-2009, 06:20 PM
They could be a broker and the actual season ticket holders having them sold for them.

London
02-01-2009, 06:23 PM
looks like the same guy selling tickets to all the games.

mostly section 105 for sale, for 200 bucks for a pair--scum

Mikey
02-01-2009, 08:14 PM
Hopefully if Beckham leaves for Italy some of the Scalpers will try to permanently offload tickets.....

bignickel
02-01-2009, 08:38 PM
His tickets must have been grandfathered from the first season, when there was no limit to the number of season seats each person could hold. Although fans cannot obtain more than four season tickets now, the ones who already have more than this number haven't been forced to give up their extras.

why would they be forced to give up their extras? i have 7 seasons because i put up the cash when i had the chance and was able to buy more due to the fact that i signed up for this team very early.

to those who keep whining about people having to many seasons, you had every opportunity to jump on board in the fall of 2006. a little late to cry now. get over it!

egoodwin
02-01-2009, 09:06 PM
why would they be forced to give up their extras? i have 7 seasons because i put up the cash when i had the chance and was able to buy more due to the fact that i signed up for this team very early.

to those who keep whining about people having to many seasons, you had every opportunity to jump on board in the fall of 2006. a little late to cry now. get over it!
issue's not with him having 10 seats

issue is him having 10 seats and wanting to scalp everyone of them

get off your sth high horse

Hitcho
02-01-2009, 09:11 PM
^ agree with what egoodwin said

Mike started this thread to say sad to see so many tickets on ebay. unless you've got your 7 tickets on there too, no-one's pointing a finger at you, but those people wanting season tickets and having to see this shit going on have a genuine complaint. stop being so defensive about it.

Kickit09
02-01-2009, 11:07 PM
get ready to see a lot more empty seats this year.

Toronto Ruffrider
02-02-2009, 12:25 AM

Who was whining? Read my post more carefully before you post a response. All I was commenting on was the grandfather clause on season ticket purchases. You can hold onto more than four seats, but no one with four or less can obtain more than the maximum of four now. I never once suggested that you or any other legitimate supporter should be forced to give up your ducats. Known scalpers, on the other hand, are another story.

Personally, I'm fine with my partial packs for now. I get most of a season at a decent price, and I can buy the remainder off of the ticket exchange.

bignickel
02-02-2009, 12:36 AM
issue's not with him having 10 seats

issue is him having 10 seats and wanting to scalp everyone of them

get off your sth high horse

actually, the issue is with him having 10 seats and scalping and you bitching about it for the 3rd straight season! you could've prevented it all all by buying all the seats in the house the day the seats went on sale in 2006.... but you didn't.

now let me enjoy what i want with my 7 seasons, use them, sell them, donate them to charity, give them to clients.....

loving my sth high horse!

Cambridge_Red
02-02-2009, 12:50 AM
actually, the issue is with him having 10 seats and scalping and you bitching about it for the 3rd straight season! you could've prevented it all all by buying all the seats in the house the day the seats went on sale in 2006.... but you didn't.

now let me enjoy what i want with my 7 seasons, use them, sell them, donate them to charity, give them to clients.....

loving my sth high horse!

All I have to say is wow.

Brooker
02-02-2009, 01:55 AM
home opener- i see 2 tickets in 117, row 12 for 90 dollars each

thats ugly.

London
02-02-2009, 05:59 AM
hey kickit09

where is the original supporters section as stated in your location??

Mark in Ottawa
02-02-2009, 07:29 AM

As long as you don't sell them for more than face value because that is against the law and we wouldn't want that now would we :rolleyes:

I have no problem with people having 10 seasons. They got in line... bought them legally... and are registered owners of the rights to the seats.

What bugs me is that some are using these seats to break the law (and incidentally entice others to break the law with them as it is against the law to purchase "scalped" tickets as well as sell them) and no one from the club or law enforcement seems to care all that much. :(

Plenty of Trout
02-02-2009, 08:39 AM

Why do you say that?

Primavera
02-02-2009, 09:56 AM
Because no one wants to be in the same stadium as big nickel.

HA!

Seriously, MLSE/TFC really should be WAY more proactive about nailing scalpers.

bignickel
02-02-2009, 10:49 AM
As long as you don't sell them for more than face value because that is against the law and we wouldn't want that now would we :rolleyes:

I have no problem with people having 10 seasons. They got in line... bought them legally... and are registered owners of the rights to the seats.

What bugs me is that some are using these seats to break the law (and incidentally entice others to break the law with them as it is against the law to purchase "scalped" tickets as well as sell them) and no one from the club or law enforcement seems to care all that much. :(

i always sell them for face or less. i do insist that they buy me a beer though for my troubles. i give most of them away though, mainly to my most vocal buddies.

anyway, it will be very difficult to eliminate scalping. there is not a country in the world where scalping doesn't exist.

we should be concentrating more of our efforts in stopping people from throwing shit at opposing players which i think will have a bigger effect on us....and probably in the not to distant future.

TFC John
02-02-2009, 10:56 AM
i always sell them for face or less. i do insist that they buy me a beer though for my troubles. i give most of them away though, mainly to my most vocal buddies.

anyway, it will be very difficult to eliminate scalping. there is not a country in the world where scalping doesn't exist.

we should be concentrating more of our efforts in stopping people from throwing shit at opposing players which i think will have a bigger effect on us....and probably in the not to distant future.

Good for you. That's how it should be. However, there are some people who have made a part time job (or maybe full time) out of screwing TFC fans by holding seats they have no intention of ever using and selling them at outrageous prices. TFC is a passion not a revenue stream.

Hitcho
02-02-2009, 11:26 AM

I hate scalping at inflated prices, but as long as you label the mark up as a "handling fee" and declare it for income tax purposes (registered as a business) then i don't think it's breaking any laws. That's why the police don't do anything about it, because any schmuck can pull it off legally so why waste their time trying to bust someone who will just pull out the right paperwork? it's also why ticketmaster is a viable business.

not sure about hawking them on the street though - anyone know if that's illegal, registered for tax purposes or not?

Mark in Ottawa
02-02-2009, 11:42 AM

A "carrying fee" of a small amount never seems out of line ;)

I agree that scalping is hard to stop but overt stuff like 10 seasons tickets that are always for sale at inflated prices on public forums like e-Bay?
Not hard to track em down now is it?

Throw shit on the field... get thrown out of the stadium... problem solved.

Mark in Ottawa
02-02-2009, 11:47 AM
not sure about hawking them on the street though - anyone know if that's illegal, registered for tax purposes or not?

Province of Ontario Ticket Speculation Act
http://www.canadalegal.com/gosite.asp?s=1892

"Every person who,
selling
(a) being the holder of a ticket, sells or disposes of the ticket at a higher price than that at which it was first issued, or endeavours or offers so to do; or
purchasing as a speculation or at a higher price than advertised
(b) purchases or attempts to purchase tickets with the intention of reselling them at a profit, or purchases or offers to purchase tickets at a higher price than that at which they are advertised or announced to be for sale by the owner or proprietor of any place mentioned in section 1,
is guilty of an offence and on conviction is liable to a fine of not more than $5,000. R.S.O. 1990, c. T.7, s. 2.

Exception as to sale on commission at hotel stands and stores
3. (http://www.e-laws.gov.on.ca/html/statutes/french/elaws_statutes_90t07_f.htm#s3)This Act does not apply to the sale of tickets by the proprietor of a shop or hotel stand or a servant of the proprietor when such proprietor is an agent of a theatre, opera house, public hall, or grandstand, or of the owner or promoter of a show, game, race meeting, exhibition, or amusement of any kind for the sale of tickets, and where the commission charged upon the sale of each ticket does not exceed the maximum prescribed in the Schedule to this Act. R.S.O. 1990, c. T.7, s. 3.
".

So TicketMaster is an agent of the promoter... criminals on e-Bay are not.

Fort York Redcoat
02-02-2009, 11:51 AM
I'm all for throwing things. It's sometimes the onlly way to get your point across.

We are talking about scalpers, right?

brad
02-02-2009, 12:37 PM

Not sure about that, but there are loopholes.

IE: I'll sell you a pencil for $200.00. I'll throw in a pair of tickets for free.

I remember scalpers using that trick on eBay with Radiohead tickets.

Mojo
02-02-2009, 12:42 PM
Report it to ebay? Isn't selling above face value a crime? Ebay wont support crime on their website.

Cambridge_Red
02-02-2009, 12:45 PM
/\ see post above.

dupont
02-02-2009, 12:58 PM

I'm worried about this as well. I think a lot of people want to fill the seats if they are for sale normally but they don't want to deal with scalpers or pay more than face.

jaahuuu
02-02-2009, 01:35 PM
it's also why ticketmaster is a viable business.

So TicketMaster is an agent of the promoter... criminals on e-Bay are not.
At least with scalpers you know you up front that you are getting ripped off, ticketbastard tries their best to hide it.

I just bought a $10 concert ticket. There was a $3 convenience charge, another $3 processing charge, and this is the best one...a $1 retail location pickup charge, they're charging me a dollar to drive to someplace other than the concert venue and pickup the ticket.

I'm not that cheap that I'm going to complain about $7 in extra charges, nor would it have pissed me off if the website said the ticket was $17 to begin with, but adding 70% in charges after saying it was a $10 ticket really pisses me off.:rant:

nascarguy
02-02-2009, 01:41 PM
but see your not selling tickets for 200 your selling a pencil for $200.00. ebay can not close this loophole.

Toronto Ruffrider
02-02-2009, 02:13 PM
but see your not selling tickets for 200 your selling a pencil for $200.00. ebay can not close this loophole.

Most people who sell their tickets on eBay don't even use loopholes any more. All sellers have to do to keep eBay off their backs is lie about the face value of their tickets. I've seen quite a few auctions in which the face value of a pair of tickets is quoted as being anywhere from $300 to $1,000. Unless someone reports these ticket values as being too high, anyone can get away with selling tickets on eBay.

Sonny Cheeba
02-02-2009, 02:22 PM
ticketmaster are shitheads.... i avoid buying tickets from them as much as possible. thankfully most shows i go to have tickets available at smaller record shops.

they find charges for everything. EVERYTHING.

brad
02-02-2009, 02:39 PM

Nor do they have any vested interest in doing so. They take a percentage of the final sale price. The higher it is, the better it is (for them).

Joe Kool
02-02-2009, 02:44 PM
I find it funny how Ticketmaster charges you a convenience charge. I would like to see the inconvenience option but there isn't one so how is it a convenience charge if you only have one way to buy the ticket.

Lucky for me I am a STH but if I wasn't I would definitely not support scalpers or ticket brokers to pay an even higher inflated price. I would rather cheer from my living room then get ripped off. I am sure there are more like me so I think there will continue to be some empty seats due to this crap until the stock on TFC tickets goes down a bit and scalpers do not renew some of their seats. Maybe after Beckham leaves permanently for Italy it may start to happen a bit.

olegunnar
02-02-2009, 02:46 PM
I'm worried about this as well. I think a lot of people want to fill the seats if they are for sale normally but they don't want to deal with scalpers or pay more than face.

I don't think the empty seats will be because of scalpers. I think they'll be seasons ticket holder seats who only want to or care to go to a few games.

Seasons tickets are cheap, and the season is in the Summer. People can get their $800 seasons seats and go to 10 games and feel they got their money's worth...if they can give them to friends or get rid of them on the ticket trader ...great...if not...no big deal...at least they have the option of going.

That's the attitude I believe leads to the empty...but still paid for seats...that seem to be increasing every year. In a perverse way the scarcity of seats for sale leads to empty seats.

Toronto Ruffrider
02-02-2009, 03:00 PM
I don't think the empty seats will be because of scalpers. I think they'll be seasons ticket holder seats who only want to or care to go to a few games.

Seasons tickets are cheap, and the season is in the Summer. People can get their $800 seasons seats and go to 10 games and feel they got their money's worth...if they can give them to friends or get rid of them on the ticket trader ...great...if not...no big deal...at least they have the option of going.

That's the attitude I believe leads to the empty...but still paid for seats...that seem to be increasing every year. In a perverse way the scarcity of seats for sale leads to empty seats.

That reminds me all to much of the Platinum Lounge seats at the ACC. I get frustrated seeing the best seats at a Leafs game go empty for long stretches at the beginning of each period.

Hitcho
02-02-2009, 04:40 PM
I've heard rumours before that the club had identified persistent scalpers sellign at unfairly inflated prices and cancelled their tickets (presumably then sold in the relocation event or to waiting list members).

Anyone know if this is true?

mlsintoronto?

Miko
02-02-2009, 04:42 PM
Lots of tickets on Stubhub already as well - including someone in the same row (section 222 row 17) I'm in selling 4 tickets for every game this year at double face value.

Carter
02-02-2009, 04:52 PM
the thing about ebay is that its an auction site. so he sets his Reserve price at Face value of the ticket, but anything higher than that can't be bitched about because you are actually "BIDDING" on the auction item against other people. BUT if it was SET as a BUY IT NOW item, thats where you can get them pulled.

Toronto Ruffrider
02-02-2009, 05:26 PM
the thing about ebay is that its an auction site. so he sets his Reserve price at Face value of the ticket, but anything higher than that can't be bitched about because you are actually "BIDDING" on the auction item against other people. BUT if it was SET as a BUY IT NOW item, thats where you can get them pulled.

Like this example: http://cgi.ebay.ca/TORONTO-FC-vs-REAL-SALT-LAKE-OCTOBER-17_W0QQitemZ280307677241QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_Tick ets_all_in_one?hash=item280307677241&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1215|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A13 18 (http://cgi.ebay.ca/TORONTO-FC-vs-REAL-SALT-LAKE-OCTOBER-17_W0QQitemZ280307677241QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_Tick ets_all_in_one?hash=item280307677241&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1215%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C 240%3A1318)

Last time I checked, light grey tickets cost less than $99.50 each. With the only purchase option being Buy it Now, this is blatant scalping.

Carter
02-02-2009, 05:28 PM
Like this example: http://cgi.ebay.ca/TORONTO-FC-vs-REAL-SALT-LAKE-OCTOBER-17_W0QQitemZ280307677241QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_Tick ets_all_in_one?hash=item280307677241&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1215|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A13 18 (http://cgi.ebay.ca/TORONTO-FC-vs-REAL-SALT-LAKE-OCTOBER-17_W0QQitemZ280307677241QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_Tick ets_all_in_one?hash=item280307677241&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1215%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C 240%3A1318)

Last time I checked, light grey tickets cost less than $99.50 each. With the only purchase option being Buy it Now, this is blatant scalping.

Yuppers, you could flag that item and have it pulled down.
In other things, who would pay 99.50 to watch Real Salt Lake get their asses handed to them. bahaha

bignickel
02-02-2009, 08:18 PM
Yuppers, you could flag that item and have it pulled down.
In other things, who would pay 99.50 to watch Real Salt Lake get their asses handed to them. bahaha

the same idiots who payed $500 a ticket to see us tie l.a. galaxy 0-0 sans beckham in year 1.

mike_bouma
02-02-2009, 08:28 PM
any in 112?

.... Some in 111

http://toronto.en.craigslist.ca/tor/tix/1017711374.html

TorCanSoc
02-02-2009, 10:10 PM
I hate this topic. I really do.

jaahuuu
02-03-2009, 09:31 AM
I'm not totally familiar with Ontario scalping laws, but doesn't this not make a difference. Even if the bidding goes to 10 times face value, you are still selling the ticket for more than face value, isn't it illegal to sell tickets for anything over face?

Back when there were scalping laws in New York, ebay would automatically end the auction when the price hit the resale limit, face value plus 45%. But like brad said ebay takes a cut for the sale price, so they have no desire to actually see what the face values is.

Arnie Knows
02-03-2009, 09:39 AM
There is a lot of us who cannot get tickets for a game unless we resort to scalpers.. It pisses me off that they have bunches of tickets and raise the price for true fans.. Bastards I say ..

FYI .. my first post .. hehe

Hitcho
02-03-2009, 01:27 PM
^ and a fine first post it was Arnie Knows.

Welcome to the boards!!

AL-MO
02-03-2009, 01:32 PM
There is a lot of us who cannot get tickets for a game unless we resort to scalpers.. It pisses me off that they have bunches of tickets and raise the price for true fans.. Bastards I say ..

FYI .. my first post .. hehe

Check out the ticket trader here, and other places. You should be able to find tickets at face value.

Only use scalpers as a LAST RESORT!!!

StandUpIfYouHateChelsea
02-03-2009, 01:37 PM
Just took a peek on ebay - unlike the last two seasons, there are a TON of seats available (Scalpers).

Tickets for individual matches and full seasons.

Sad to see.

contact ebay for breach of terms of usage.

StandUpIfYouHateChelsea
02-03-2009, 01:42 PM
it says rite on the back of the ticket that it is illegal to resell them why does nobody seem to care

SuperTCP
02-05-2009, 11:37 AM
I've heard rumours before that the club had identified persistent scalpers sellign at unfairly inflated prices and cancelled their tickets (presumably then sold in the relocation event or to waiting list members).

Anyone know if this is true?

mlsintoronto?

I hope this is true!!! And hopefully they are sold to those of us patiently waiting on the waiting lists.

Hitcho
02-05-2009, 12:32 PM
Paul - what's the scope for the club cancelling tickets which are routinely found on ebay (or elsewhere) at grossly inflated prices? The club wouldn't be breaking any laws, there is clearly a huge demand from fans to purchase (even part way through a season) so the league wouldn't be losing any money for refunded ticket prices etc either, and it can;t cost that much to pay some dude to sit and trawl the auction sites once a week, keep a log of what he finds and print out the pages as evidence, no? Hell there are plenty of TFC fans who would do it for free.

I don't want to rant at you about this, but seriously, is it not a legitimate proposal to be considered?

Dudebroguy
02-05-2009, 12:58 PM
Sometimes on Craigslist I've found good "deals" like $5 over face value, you just have to check everyday and send a billion emails back and forth. Unfortunately for most of us this will be the only way to get tickets for a while.....:(

Flipityflu
02-05-2009, 01:08 PM
Sometimes on Craigslist I've found good "deals" like $5 over face value, you just have to check everyday and send a billion emails back and forth. Unfortunately for most of us this will be the only way to get tickets for a while.....:(

not if certain people didn't cater to the scalper crowd it wouldn't.

i will never, ever understand why this continues to happen right under the organization and polices' eyes. the fact that it happens at every event shows exactly where organizations like MLSE think about this.

sadly, since TFC doesn't seem that bothered, the only real way to solve this is through violence. beat the crap out of scalpers every game and stealing the tickets will probably solve the problem, and the very fact that i'm suggesting this as a solution makes me sick.

Miko
02-05-2009, 01:28 PM
I think part of the problem in dealing with ebay scalpers is our privacy law.

Ebay can't release the information of the seller to TFC, and even if TFC bought a set to identify the buyer, who's to say it was the original purchaser in the first place? (plenty of people on the boards have bought and sold season tickets at face value,to others without transferring the rights).

It would be very hard to prove, especially if they were dealing in hard tickets as opposed to email copies.

Billy the kid
02-05-2009, 01:34 PM
Report it to ebay? Isn't selling above face value a crime? Ebay wont support crime on their website.

I thought Ebay dealt exclusively in selling scalped tickets, pirated software and stolen merchandise......unofficially ofcourse. ;)

Mark in Ottawa
02-06-2009, 12:34 PM
I think part of the problem in dealing with ebay scalpers is our privacy law.

Ebay can't release the information of the seller to TFC, and even if TFC bought a set to identify the buyer, who's to say it was the original purchaser in the first place? (plenty of people on the boards have bought and sold season tickets at face value,to others without transferring the rights).

It would be very hard to prove, especially if they were dealing in hard tickets as opposed to email copies.

A good point. The tickets could go through many hands before the price got inflated.

Then again the ticket owner could just return them to the team via the ticket manager and they would be in the clear as far as any inference of scalping is concerned.

SuperTCP
02-06-2009, 12:50 PM
not if certain people didn't cater to the scalper crowd it wouldn't.

i will never, ever understand why this continues to happen right under the organization and polices' eyes. the fact that it happens at every event shows exactly where organizations like MLSE think about this.

sadly, since TFC doesn't seem that bothered, the only real way to solve this is through violence. beat the crap out of scalpers every game and stealing the tickets will probably solve the problem, and the very fact that i'm suggesting this as a solution makes me sick.

Unfortunately I have to agree with both statements. #1 MLSE doesn;t care just as long as the seats are sold out and it generates a large demand, buzz, etc. It's like when you wait 2 hours in a line for a night club, then finally get in just to find out the place is empty and is a sausage fest.
#2. If nothing is done legally about it, and the scalpers can continue to conduct illegal acts without penalty, then why can't we do the same by "beat the crap out of scalpers every game and stealing the tickets". That should scare some of them off, especially when there are more of us then them. I wouldn't want it to be resolved this way :(, but if it did come down to this, I just hope the guy I punch out has his whole book of season tickets in his pocket. :)

Plenty of Trout
02-06-2009, 05:13 PM
Unfortunately I have to agree with both statements. #1 MLSE doesn;t care just as long as the seats are sold out and it generates a large demand, buzz, etc. It's like when you wait 2 hours in a line for a night club, then finally get in just to find out the place is empty and is a sausage fest.
#2. If nothing is done legally about it, and the scalpers can continue to conduct illegal acts without penalty, then why can't we do the same by "beat the crap out of scalpers every game and stealing the tickets". That should scare some of them off, especially when there are more of us then them. I wouldn't want it to be resolved this way :(, but if it did come down to this, I just hope the guy I punch out has his whole book of season tickets in his pocket. :)

I wonder if he would report the assault or fear the potential criminal charge against himself of scalping?

I imagine the scalpers are a close knit group and they would take matters into their own hands.

I can see a riot taking place.

jvanpeebles
02-10-2009, 08:12 PM
I bought tickets online because i cannot et tickets any other way. I did buy a partial pack and yes i got screwed into buying the hockey tickets as part of the package. So I have a huge problem with somebody who bought 10 seats to just sell them. I understand the opportunity to make money but I also am frustrated that I have to buy packages i don't want and pay inflate prices from a scalper to see a game. that being said the first opportuity I get to buy 4 tickets I will and without a doubt will sell the tickets i can't use on ticket trader as I know the real fans will appreciate it. Any other games i can get into this year I will jump all over so feel free people.
THIS IS OUR HOUSE!!!!!

Luanda
03-02-2009, 01:00 PM
Well folks, for the more technologically inclined, there are ways, are there not to stop auctions from going through. Perhaps enought folks to simultaneously hit the said auction?

Hitcho
03-02-2009, 01:16 PM
i think threads like these are better aimed at the club. mlsintoronto - is the club doing anything about persistent and abusive scalpers?

Carter
03-02-2009, 01:30 PM
:deadhorse: