PDA

View Full Version : Todd Dunivant Traded

King Jeff
02-01-2009, 07:27 AM
According to the Footy Blog:

As training camp gets set to open up here in Toronto on Monday, players are starting to make their way back to the city but one player who won't be here is Todd Dunivant. Toronto FC agreed to trade the left-sided player to the LA Galaxy over the weekend in a move designed to free space under the salary cap.

Although, the move is yet to be made official I would expect an announcement to come from the club in the early stages of this week. After the Footy Show blog broke the news of Pablo Vitti being on Mo Johnston's radar earlier this month, Mo has made no secret of his desire to sign the young Argentine and from what I understand is still very much in the pursuit of Vitti so I expect this deal to have been organised in preparation for another. Stay tuned.

andyc
02-01-2009, 07:35 AM
I hate the salary cap... The one position we had real depth was left back/mid and I guess we can't afford it.

werewolf
02-01-2009, 07:38 AM
somethings got to give if we are to bring in more players. He was a good player, shame to see him go.

andyc
02-01-2009, 07:48 AM
Yep

BTW Dichio and Robbo are on The Score at 8am this morning....

Ossington Mental Youth
02-01-2009, 08:28 AM
i liked Dunny alot as a player and a guy, he wasnt amazing but he did his job well enough. To be honest I dont mind seeing him go to make room, especially if Vitti lives up to his promise. Oh man, thats so awesome. I believe we have enough depth in the positions Dunny plays (Smith, Gala on the wings, Attakora at the back).

James17930
02-01-2009, 08:28 AM
Okay, I'm not going to this was bad, because I'm sure there was a good reason for it, but still, it does deserve quite a it of 'Fuck.'

First, and most importantly, we now have no good cover on the left-side (I don't think Gala will ever be the answer, and unless Mo has some defensive minded left-siders, this leaves a gaping hole on our bench).

Plus -- Duni loved it here probably more than anyone else on the team. I know that isn't a valid reason for keeping someone, but it still must really blow for him.

It's just one of those things. :(

rocker
02-01-2009, 09:02 AM
Ya I liked the guy too. I thought he was a very competent MLS lifer. This is the first guy gone in a while that I'm actually sad to see go. Usually I haven't cared for most of the guys gone (except Esky.. that was devastating... until I got some sense into me!)

But can't wait to see Mo get subsequent deals done.

ensco
02-01-2009, 09:08 AM
I guess we need to see what we get back first, but I would have thought Dunivant had real trade value

Nuvinho
02-01-2009, 09:23 AM
yeah, we better get back something good....Dunny was cover for Jimmy and also could move into play LM as well.

EDIT: The Galaxy have made some good moves this year, maybe they finally realize they don't need the big superstars. I will get blasted on here for that comment, but they drafted well, made some great trades, and if Becks and Landycakes leaves, have built from within the MLS pretty good this year.

rocker
02-01-2009, 09:42 AM
ya, it could only get better with Lalas out of the GM chair.

Pachuco
02-01-2009, 09:52 AM
I'll wait and see what we are getting back before I comment. I just hope it's not more allocation money because Mo seems to be the master of stocking it up and not using it.

Either way, I'm sad to see Dunivant go, he was a good utility player to have around.

ExiledRed
02-01-2009, 09:57 AM
Great goal against Aston Villa.

Pretty generic MLS defender though, and he didn't play at all last season, so we hav no idea how much the injury will have affected his game.
Provided we strengthen the team as a whole, which I'm sure is on somebody's 'to do' list, this isn't much of a loss at all.

Bluenose13
02-01-2009, 10:08 AM
I'll wait and see what we are getting back before I comment. I just hope it's not more allocation money because Mo seems to be the master of stocking it up and not using it.

Wouldn't the best thing to get back, be allocation money so we could afford to sign a bigger name player :noidea:

Pachuco
02-01-2009, 10:12 AM
Wouldn't the best thing to get back, be allocation money so we could afford to sign a bigger name player :noidea:

Theoretically. Except Mo has like $1 mill worth of allocation money already and he's having a very hard time using it. I really don't think our problem right now is allocation money. So losing a defender, the position where we have least depth, to allocation money is probably just about the dumbest thing Mo will have done this off season.

Unless of course he signs someone for 1.5 mil in allocation money, which we all know ain't happening.

rocker
02-01-2009, 10:14 AM
the only reason you move Dunivant is if you have something ready to roll in, right? Or if Winsper was whispering that Dunivant isn't looking as sharp in his rehab??

Ossington Mental Youth
02-01-2009, 10:16 AM
I dont think we are really lacking that much in fullback positions, as for allocation money we dont have as much as some people believe, dont forget DeRo is getting a sizeable chunk of that and im betting that some of Vittis loan/transfer will get paid with that.

Pachuco
02-01-2009, 10:19 AM
I dont think we are really lacking that much in fullback positions, as for allocation money we dont have as much as some people believe, dont forget DeRo is getting a sizeable chunk of that and im betting that some of Vittis loan/transfer will get paid with that.

Listen, you are accouting allocation money to Vitty and the guy isn't even signed. In fact, he was 90% signed weeks ago and we all know Vitti rumours have died off since then. If Mo signs Vitty tommorrow, I'll shut up about losing Dunivant. However, I really doubt it Mo will make me eat my words.

Nuvinho
02-01-2009, 10:21 AM
We just acquired an international spot from Houston, when we had one already extra. Now with Dunivant gone, that makes it 3.

You figure one is for Vitti (if he comes).......one for a CB, and maybe one for Daniels if he does well??

I really hope the trade was not for allocation money. Since after the Houston deal we had $850K remaining. No way DeRo and a loan agreement will take up all of that money. Does LA have any defenders we want, besides their young guys?

Bluenose13
02-01-2009, 10:23 AM
Unless of course he signs someone for 1.5 mil in allocation money, which we all know ain't happening.Oh.......I see you have inside info & know that Mo is just going to trade away players with the intent of making the team worse & has no intention of spending money on quailty replacements.

rocker
02-01-2009, 10:28 AM
I really hope the trade was not for allocation money. Since after the Houston deal we had $850K remaining. No way DeRo and a loan agreement will take up all of that money. Does LA have any defenders we want, besides their young guys?

no, LA's defense was massively shitty last year and they won't be giving up Franklin, who's their only good defender.

If it's a trade for a player it'll have to be someone in an offensive position, since that's their only strength. Or maybe a kid from the draft perhaps.

Maybe they'll trade us Landon or Becks ;)

But seriously, given what we see from MLS trades, I bet it's allocation and/or draft picks. Teams often seem less interested in getting a player in return in a trade, because the trade is more about cap room to allow an incoming signing.

Razcle
02-01-2009, 10:32 AM
I don't think Dunny was a good fit here. I first stated this when he was getting regular minutes in our first season due to the terrible injury run we had going on. He had nothing extrodinary to contribute to the club. His crosses weren't fabulous, his ball movement was stellar, he is not a speedster and I never really saw any intelligent play coming from him.

I was hoping he was a player that still had room for development and maybe he does but that will be for the Gals and that may be the best thing for him. I would rather see a servicable Canadian taking up his spot because I don't think his shoes will be hard to fill.

Nuvinho
02-01-2009, 10:36 AM
no, LA's defense was massively shitty last year and they won't be giving up Franklin, who's their only good defender.

If it's a trade for a player it'll have to be someone in an offensive position, since that's their only strength. Or maybe a kid from the draft perhaps.

Maybe they'll trade us Landon or Becks ;)

But seriously, given what we see from MLS trades, I bet it's allocation and/or draft picks.

I wouldn't mind getting the guy they drafted in the 2nd round AJ Delgaza (sp?) and some picks/allocation.

Cuchulain
02-01-2009, 10:37 AM
I was looking forward to seeing him play this year after his injury last season.

http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/picture.php?albumid=76&pictureid=696

Here he is last year with some of us at the Civic Soccer Skirmish. I'm sat to see him go.

Ossington Mental Youth
02-01-2009, 10:44 AM
Listen, you are accouting allocation money to Vitty and the guy isn't even signed. In fact, he was 90% signed weeks ago and we all know Vitti rumours have died off since then. If Mo signs Vitty tommorrow, I'll shut up about losing Dunivant. However, I really doubt it Mo will make me eat my words.

Whoa, settle down, youre taking this too personally.
Kristian suggests that we will hear about Vitti this week IN that article, therefore its not too out of order to suggest that some of that money might go to Vitti. Reread it if you dont believe me.

Edited for being somewhat wrong:
I stand corrected, apparently this deal wasnt for Vitti but to bring someone else possibly ALONG with Vitti (ie we will sign this dude even if Vitti doesnt)

Ossington Mental Youth
02-01-2009, 10:45 AM
also i dont think that Mo is ridding Dunny for the hell of it.

Flipityflu
02-01-2009, 10:49 AM
you know, i'm mixed on this. i liked him and thought he was a good depth player, and that goal against Villa was one of my favorite moments from the first season.

that said, he's not young and he didn't play for most of last season.

best of luck Todd

RedRum
02-01-2009, 11:07 AM
also i dont think that Mo is ridding Dunny for the hell of it.

For sure. With the cap space left, someone had to go. I guess you look down your list and see what will hurt you the least. Sad to see Dunny go though, he was a dependable player.

Lucky Strike
02-01-2009, 11:56 AM
It'd be foolish to think Mo would just get rid of a player for no reason. There's something else going on.

rocker
02-01-2009, 11:59 AM
It'd be foolish to think Mo would just get rid of a player for no reason. There's something else going on.

and it's a very early move, considering training camp doesn't start til tomorrow. In recent years such moves were happening at the end of camp or after the season started. If he didn't *need* to make this move now for whatever reason, he surely would have kept Dunny around for training camp.

Keyman
02-01-2009, 12:17 PM
Todd was a great guy, he always provided me with interviews if I needed them. However, he was nothing special in terms of talent, and he was probably the most expendable player under contract. The salary that Todd demanded is better allocated somewhere else. There is rationality behind this move.

poppamidnight
02-01-2009, 12:31 PM
not to toot my horn, but i've said in countless points this offseason that this was going to happen....

Dunivant is a good player, just not worth the cap hit his contract results in....

Great news IMO - i'm confident in guys like Nana (who should see more field time thanks to this)
+ to the fact it adds to the possibility of Vitti and im downright giddy right now

ensco
02-01-2009, 02:13 PM
DeRo's money has to come from somewhere

poppamidnight
02-01-2009, 02:28 PM
Dunivant had a $104,000 salary - there was no way he was coming back....

Some other likely movers (depending on on remaining cap room in relation to who we're bringing in):

Tyronne - $150,000+
Sutton - $150,000+
Harmse - $72,000

Cashcleaner
02-01-2009, 02:49 PM
Well this sucks. I liked Dunivant, and this announcement really came outta left field.

Keegan
02-01-2009, 02:59 PM
About time this happened. Dunivant is a decent defender but takes up cap space AND is an international. He is really nothing special and there is no point in taking up that much money and being international to sit on the bench.

Gabe Gala is going to be one of the best players in MLS one day anyone who has seen him play can attest to that. Its about time he was given a chance to play. What do we always hear from people at camps who are the best players? Nana Attakora-Gyan and Gabe Gala are always raved about after training but never get matches. Well those two are starters on the Canadian U20s now, Nana captains the team and showed us what he could do last season. Also Johann Smith deserves some more time, sure he is not as technically skilled as Gala but he is VERY quick a good fit for MLS

TFC Cityboy
02-01-2009, 03:22 PM
All the best, Todd. You're a class act.
Mrs Cityboy is upset as she quite fancied Todd.

JDG
02-01-2009, 03:30 PM
All the best, Todd. You're a class act.
Mrs Cityboy is upset as she quite fancied Todd.

I don't think she's the only one. Stand by for some sadness from L-Wag methinks.

Keyman
02-01-2009, 03:33 PM
Keegan, you always seem to exagerate the potential of every Canadian player. Stating that Gabe Gala is going to be "one of the best players in MLS one day" is an unfair statement. He's hardly played any first team football, and hasn't proven anything whatsoever. I'm not trying to degrade that talent of either Nana or Gala, but holding such high expectations regarding each player is only going to set you up for disappointment. Neither player is a sure thing, and relying on either player as cover at such integral positions as centreback or fullback would be a brainless decision. We've lost a solid back-up defender, who provided the team with confidence that the backline would remain solid if an injury were to occur. Hopefully we are able to bring in a quality replacement for Dunivant.

GingerNinja
02-01-2009, 03:52 PM
I don't think she's the only one. Stand by for some sadness from L-Wag methinks.

I'm going to miss you Duni!!!

http://ameerasurekha.files.wordpress.com/2008/09/broken_heart_solid_1bcf0baf8-bbcf-42f3-9965-b4a9ad33ed62large.jpg

http://thumbs.dreamstime.com/thumb_194/11920689920VD901.jpg

Inklink
02-01-2009, 04:07 PM
Duni seemed to love the city and from some interviews, seemed really anxious to get back on the pitch after barely playing last year. So a little sad to see him go.

But it's a business and that's what it's all about

olegunnar
02-01-2009, 04:12 PM
Oh well it was bound to happen.

I think I'm disappointed not because it's Duni, but because he was what I wish we had more of. Middle of the road career MLSers. We have 200K+ Internationals, then 18K a year developmental types...and not enough of the glue players in between.

If you had a roster of 100K players (ala Duni) you'd have 400-500K left over.

Stryker
02-01-2009, 04:14 PM
I fully expected to see ethier Dunni, Harmse or even both move.
Can't say Im not happy to see him go cause IMO I didn't feel he was a very good player to begin with.
That having been said, he did seem like a likeable guy off the field so I wish him luck.
Its a possitive thing though as it will likely make space for a more skilled and valuble player to come in.

rocker
02-01-2009, 04:17 PM
Dunivant had a very beautiful girlfriend at one point too. ;) I sit in the row with the wives and girlfriends, so I'll be sad not to have to stand and let her by anymore :(

Keegan
02-01-2009, 05:14 PM
Keegan, you always seem to exagerate the potential of every Canadian player. Stating that Gabe Gala is going to be "one of the best players in MLS one day" is an unfair statement. He's hardly played any first team football, and hasn't proven anything whatsoever. I'm not trying to degrade that talent of either Nana or Gala, but holding such high expectations regarding each player is only going to set you up for disappointment. Neither player is a sure thing, and relying on either player as cover at such integral positions as centreback or fullback would be a brainless decision. We've lost a solid back-up defender, who provided the team with confidence that the backline would remain solid if an injury were to occur. Hopefully we are able to bring in a quality replacement for Dunivant.

See Gabe Gala vs. Argentina last May? Best player on the pitch for both teams. Argentina develops decent talent from what I'm told..... and no that was not an Argentina back up team if you look at the roster then and now.

Dunivant was a left back he was never cover for the backline he was cover at left back.

I don't' think Nana should be cover at CB, you are right. Because he is better than Harmse and Velez he should be starting. Isn't that what everyone wants? Nana has more talent than those two combined, both are pylons. Nana has a ton of talent and can score too, just scored for Canada yesterday vs. a Jamaican club team actually.

rocker
02-01-2009, 06:03 PM
my problem with Gala right now is he's a very slight player. Playing against other kids his age, he's fine. But in the games I've seen him play with TFC, he can't deal with the physical play of the men. Same issue with Ibby (but Ibby has a great football brain so he overcomes with smarts).

Right now, if money and roster spots didn't matter, I'd still say Dunivant would help TFC more than Gala. More experience, more size. Yes, this may open up a chance for Gala to prove himself finally with the men, but Dunivant has already done that, so there's less risk. If Gala is given a chance, I hope they have a backup plan in case Gala is not ready.

Nana is another story. The guy has proven himself in limited opportunities to be able to compete with the men. His size helps in that regard. He seems tough and ready to battle, although he needs to work on his passing. Nana is further along.

Hitcho
02-01-2009, 09:21 PM
dunivant's a good player and I really liked the JB/TD combo on the left, it had promise and left us solid down the left flank.

LAG need defenders badly though, and TD is good and has plenty of MLS experience, so what we getting for him? First round draft pick and decent allocation would be good, because there's no-one on the LAg squad I can think of we'd wan to take.

DigzTFC!
02-01-2009, 09:32 PM
I was surprised that they brought Dunivant to the jersey unveiling because I was so sure they would trade him. He is serviceable and that pretty well sums him up. He wasn't a game breaker. He might have been a nice guy, but at his salary we can reallocate that money elsewhere with more return.

Pachuco
02-02-2009, 12:33 AM
Oh.......I see you have inside info & know that Mo is just going to trade away players with the intent of making the team worse & has no intention of spending money on quailty replacements.

Well shit, I'm really glad that you've decided to read my posts. Cause you just said word for word what i've been saying in this thread :rolleyes:

Yohan
02-02-2009, 01:30 AM
I really hope Mo knows what he's doing.

Right now, God help us if injury bug hits our defence

Can't win leagues without a bit of depth

Cambridge_Red
02-02-2009, 01:34 AM
If our defensive plans include Harmse god help us.

Ossington Mental Youth
02-02-2009, 01:54 AM
injury to anyones defense, unless its a defence heavy team (no teams come to mind at this point) can screw any team in this league as there just isnt enough depth, Mo is not a stupid guy, hes not going to a) leave a spot in the roster open as well as b) leave a spot in a light/weak defense open.

Shakes McQueen
02-02-2009, 02:27 AM
You don't ship a person out of town, unless you're planning on bringing someone in. It wouldn't make sense.

I foresee this being the precursor to Vitti, or the CB signing coming on board. Otherwise there wouldn't be a purpose to sending Dunny packing.

- Scott

Ossington Mental Youth
02-02-2009, 03:00 AM
or Kristian Jack saying as much, HA

Stencils
02-02-2009, 08:18 AM
Todd was quality on and off the field. I'm sad to see him go. I wish him all the best at whatever team he's at (even against Toronto (as long as we beat his team at the same time)).

He's actually the only guy I have a signed autograph from. I had a great chat with him at the RPB year end party at Joe's.

Good luck Todd!

CoachGT
02-02-2009, 08:57 AM
Sat with him at the San Jose supporters banquet last year. Todd is nothing but class, and he has been a pretty decent player throughout his career. He is very well liked in San Jose. I'd be surprised if he doesn't end up back there at some point soon.

I wish him the best of luck in the future.

Mikey
02-02-2009, 11:03 AM
Supporters on the LAG board at BS are well happy with getting Dunivant. Hope this goes well for us.......

Ossington Mental Youth
02-02-2009, 11:32 AM
We still dont know what we got for him yet tho do we?

scooter
02-02-2009, 11:40 AM
yeah sad to see him go -- he did a lot of pr work for the team last season since he was injured and i am sure thats why he was included in the jersey party -- i also dont think mo and carver planned to let him go but now is the time to cut certain players to bring in what they need for the season and obviously the salary cap is a consideration

mo and carver promised to get things going early this season and are sticking to their word

vitti signing---mo said at press conference that since the story was leaked to the press it has slowed things down and it sounds like now that vitti's club knows we want him they have upped the price tag -- mo is pissed about this so dont be surprised if the team gets more and more tight lipped in the future

Roogsy
02-02-2009, 11:42 AM
I think Mo did Todd a solid by sending him to LA. Probably more playing time for Todd and he is closer to home (Denver not to mention San Jose). I am happy for Todd.

As for Vitti...I am surprised at the amount of information that gets leaked out of TFC and I fully expect that to change as time moves on. I know all of us are dying for information from them...but really it isn't in the team's best interest to have all their moves broadcast ahead of time. To be honest...the only information I want is when a deal gets done. That's what I want to see. Everything else behind the scenes is irrelevant to me since most of it doesn't wind up happening.

rocker
02-02-2009, 11:43 AM
We still dont know what we got for him yet tho do we?

it hasn't been officially announced. We're still all assuming the guy at the Score is correct.

Roogsy
02-02-2009, 11:44 AM
They usually are. Not always, but usually.

Ossington Mental Youth
02-02-2009, 11:45 AM
it hasn't been officially announced. We're still all assuming the guy at the Score is correct.

please correct me if im wrong, so we basically gave him to LA for nothing so we could clear cap space? (obviously knowing how Mo works, its not as simple as that)

rocker
02-02-2009, 11:48 AM
please correct me if im wrong,

there's no right or wrong yet.. once the deal is announced we'll see. the score guy didn't make it clear what might be coming back, if anything. I would assume we'd get something. Just clearing cap room by dumping a guy on another team is highly unusual. There's always some allocation or a draft pick going back the other way, even if it's not much. I don't think MLS likes teams trading players to other teams for nothing.

Ossington Mental Youth
02-02-2009, 11:49 AM
werd fair enough.
im about 14 hours away from TO, so im sure there will be some juicy news when i wake up in 8 hours, godwilling HA

Lucky Strike
02-02-2009, 11:58 AM
I think Mo did Todd a solid by sending him to LA. Probably more playing time for Todd and he is closer to home (Denver not to mention San Jose). I am happy for Todd.

As for Vitti...I am surprised at the amount of information that gets leaked out of TFC and I fully expect that to change as time moves on. I know all of us are dying for information from them...but really it isn't in the team's best interest to have all their moves broadcast ahead of time. To be honest...the only information I want is when a deal gets done. That's what I want to see. Everything else behind the scenes is irrelevant to me since most of it doesn't wind up happening.

Couldn't agree more on the leaks. As interesting as it can be, I'd rather not hear anything until a deal is sealed. Only after the fact do we want to hear about the behind-the-scenes stuff, or the we-were-in-talks-for-player-X stiautions.

bee dubya
02-02-2009, 12:21 PM
Interesting that The Score have leaked this info after they had a couple of TFC players in studio yesterday...I'm sure that they could have got the info from a number of sources but it's interesting.

jloome
02-02-2009, 07:07 PM
Couldn't agree more on the leaks. As interesting as it can be, I'd rather not hear anything until a deal is sealed. Only after the fact do we want to hear about the behind-the-scenes stuff, or the we-were-in-talks-for-player-X stiautions.

You have to be kidding me. TFC leaks LESS than any pro sports franchise I've ever seen. If they were being covered by decent beat reporters who were tenacious, there would be way more coming out than we've heard about.

S_D
02-02-2009, 10:41 PM
680 announced that Dunny's name wasn't on the training roster this eve so they are assuming he has been traded.

JDG
02-03-2009, 12:42 AM
680 announced that Dunny's name wasn't on the training roster this eve so they are assuming he has been traded.

Saw Barrett & Smith tonight, and apparently they know nothing about a trade.

Nuvinho
02-03-2009, 08:47 AM
probably b/c Dunny has to pass his physical before trades can be announced as well.

Joe Kool
02-03-2009, 09:05 AM
Gerry Dobson's latest blog has Dunny traded for allocation money as pretty much everyone suspected.

"Although it’s not official, defender Todd Dunivant is on his way to Los Angeles for allocation."

Nuvinho
02-03-2009, 09:11 AM
Mo keeps trading for his favourite player - allocation

I hope allocation does something this year. For example, turn into a good CB and a striker.

Nuvinho
02-03-2009, 12:04 PM
More from Ives.

In other MLS news, Toronto FC has traded defender Todd Dunivant to the Los Angeles Galaxy for allocation money. According to sources, the move was as much about clearing a roster spot and cap room as it was about the allocation TFC received in return. Toronto and LA were discussing this very trade as far back as the MLS Draft, finally agreeing to it late last week.

The deal is an interesting one by the Galaxy because Galaxy head coach Bruce Arena happens to be the same man who traded Dunivant to Toronto in the first place. Arena dealt Dunivant and allocation money to TFC for defender Kevin Goldthwaite back in 2007. Now Dunivant joins the Galaxy and should provide Los Angeles with a good attacking threat from the left back position.
Galaxy fans shouldn't give up hope on the possibility of either Bobby Convey or DaMarcus Beasley making their way to MLS, and specifically Los Angeles. While the European transfer window has closed, the MLS window is still open and is the one that would apply if Beasley and Convey (or any other European-based players) make a move to MLS.
So what is Toronto planning to do with the empty roster spot? The club is still in talks to secure the services of Argentine striker Pablo Vitti, and a central defender also remains a target for Mo Johnston's club.

Nodoubtguy
02-03-2009, 12:07 PM
Mo keeps trading for his favourite player - allocation

I hope allocation does something this year. For example, turn into a good CB and a striker.

On the TFC TV interview posted yesterday with JC he said something along the lines of "don't worry, it will be spent".....but then again, who knows

Ossington Mental Youth
02-03-2009, 12:16 PM
There is nothing to benefit from holding on to and saving allocation money, it has an expiry date on it and they cant spend it on other things, so i dont know why they would hold on to it

Cambridge_Red
02-03-2009, 12:27 PM
Spend the money dammit :D

Pachuco
02-03-2009, 01:44 PM
More from Ives.

So basically, according to Ives we've just trated a defender who would've provided some much needed depth at the back for allocation money, which no one knows whether it will be spent.

I'm actually not a Mo hater, but I'm beginning to think this was a bad move. I just don't see Mo spending this money before the season starts.

Same old story as last year. Remember losing the first 2 games of the season because we sucked and didn't have a full roster? (we had allocation money though ;) ). I hope this isn't dejavu all over again.

All it takes is for Jimmy Brennan to get hurt in pre-season and we aren't left with much at the back.

tfc
02-03-2009, 01:50 PM
So basically, according to Ives we've just trated a defender who would've provided some much needed depth at the back for allocation money, which no one knows whether it will be spent.

I'm actually not a Mo hater, but I'm beginning to think this was a bad move. I just don't see Mo spending this money before the season starts.

Same old story as last year. Remember losing the first 2 games of the season because we sucked and didn't have a full roster? (we had allocation money though ;) ). I hope this isn't dejavu all over again.

All it takes is for Jimmy Brennan to get hurt in pre-season and we aren't left with much at the back.

common, at this point if there is anything we've learned its that mo has a plan for it - hes not trader mo for nothing!by the first game we will have a couple new guys i expect ... remember we have trialists at camp!

Pachuco
02-03-2009, 01:58 PM
common, at this point if there is anything we've learned its that mo has a plan for it - hes not trader mo for nothing!by the first game we will have a couple new guys i expect ... remember we have trialists at camp!

I guess that's where we disagree. I don't expect any more signings before season starts, unless it's a trialist. But trading Dunivant for the possiblity of a trialist making the team makes absolutely no sense. He doesn't have to be roster compliant yet, and he can let Dunivant fight for a position on the team along with the trialist, who's to say the trialists are better then him? Mo certainly doesn't know or they wouldn't be trying out, they'd be signing instead.

So I'll stick to my guns with this one, I think Mo has good intentions to spend the money, I'm just worried he's going to spend it 2 games into the season once again.

Oh BTW - we probably have allocation money and possibly cap space left, so even if he signs 1 or 2 guys, doesn't mean he's dipping into Dunivants allocation money.

Flipityflu
02-03-2009, 04:21 PM
ok, its confirmed now

http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/2009/02/03/dunivant_galaxy_trade/

We are sad to see him go," said manager, director of soccer Mo Johnston. "As we continue to build a team, it's important this trade went through because we're getting ready to add more players. It's great for Todd, he's going home in a sense, and it's good for us too."

Stryker
02-03-2009, 04:29 PM
Yeah it's a done deal.

http://web.mlsnet.com/news/team_news.jsp?ymd=20090203&content_id=215434&vkey=news_t280&fext=.jsp&team=t280

As we continue to build a team, it's important this trade went through because we're getting ready to add more players

Giggity giggity goo :hump:

rocker
02-03-2009, 05:08 PM
Getting Ready!!!!