PDA

View Full Version : MLS to Announce Barcelona!....2010 or 11?

Shway
01-31-2009, 10:36 PM
http://www.mls-rumors.net/2009/01/expansion-mls-to-make-announcement-mid.html

Everybody knew Miami was going to get the bid, but the main question, is FCB miami coming to the league in 2010? Does this mean 1 team will enter the league in 2011? or there will be 2 teams, and this increase a Canadian team to a 50% chance of getting expansion.

Who knows? but Vancouver should have a bid. 100%

billyfly
01-31-2009, 10:40 PM
Wow....

James17930
01-31-2009, 10:47 PM
The source, though, as always . . . sketchy.

billyfly
01-31-2009, 10:50 PM
^For sure. But the more I hear, the more I am starting to believe that there will be Blaugrana in Miami.

Lucky Strike
01-31-2009, 11:39 PM
So...not really official then. I'll be playing the waiting game.

NF-FC
02-01-2009, 12:25 AM
This is the worst fucking thing to happen to the league. Next thing you know there will be Chelsea Las Vegas and Juventus USA. what a joke

UltraSuperMegaMo
02-01-2009, 12:33 AM
It does seem dumb. For a league that wants to look "major" the MLS sure doesn’t mind allowing teams from other leagues to operate farm teams in their league. It’s not like Chivas USA has been a huge off the field success. Bolton should put a team in Bolton Ont., then we could have the Bolton Bolton Wanderers.

werewolf
02-01-2009, 12:37 AM
This is the worst fucking thing to happen to the league. Next thing you know there will be Chelsea Las Vegas and Juventus USA. what a joke

This league will never be tops in the world, not even top 10. If the league can get some big, legitimate backing from world class clubs, I don't see that as a bad thing.

Not that the whole league should turn into the Champions League reserve league, but a few vested teams wouldn't hurt.

S_D
02-01-2009, 12:54 AM
Actually they may have lifted this from big soccer lol

http://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=931065

I have no idea if the link provided below is to a reputable site, but at least it isn't from rumours. There is a translation as well by one of the BS people. Since I can't translate, if any of our RPB's can have a look at it....

http://www.elmundodeportivo.es/web/gen/20090129/noticia_53628835085.html

Allow me the pleasure of translating:

FC Barcelona has received a draft of the contract for the Miami franchise, sent from the United States, that is currently being studied by the club's legal personnel. It is likely that by mid-February, perhaps before the 15th, the agreement will be official. The Barça will be effective starting 2010 and will have indefinite character, as was informed at the 'Els millors anys de la nostra vida' radio show at Catalunya Ràdio.

The Key
Barça joined in this project of obtaining an MLS franchise with Bolivian tycoon Marcelo Claure, president of Brightstar Corporation, which has Vodafone and Telefónica de España among other multinationals as customers. He is an entrepreneur who is sentimentally and politically committed to Club Bolívar de La Paz. Claure tuned with president Joan Laporta and has a close relationship with soccer since a few years ago because he coordinated all preparations for the Bolivian National Team before taking part in the U.S. World Cup in 1994. A while ago in an interview he said that "Barça-USA, with its home in Miami, will be the team of not just all Latins in the United States, but all lovers of spectacle football" Then he added "We will have a beautiful stadium with capacity for about 20 thousand spectators"

May the rivers of tears begin flowing...

devioustrevor
02-01-2009, 12:57 AM
I actually don't think it that big a deal. The South African Premiership has teams that essentially local development teams. Ajax and Santos operate teams that I know of.

Shway
02-01-2009, 01:40 AM
to be honest i just see this as a great way for the league to be more "financially stable", and when the league has money they can raise the standards of the league and also who knows the end result, more North American players will absolutely head overseas, it just creates more opportunity i believe. IMO

nascarguy
02-01-2009, 01:56 AM
cool can not wait for a new place to go to for a road trip

Redcoe15
02-01-2009, 02:25 AM
Actually they may have lifted this from big soccer lol

http://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=931065

I have no idea if the link provided below is to a reputable site, but at least it isn't from rumours. There is a translation as well by one of the BS people. Since I can't translate, if any of our RPB's can have a look at it....
The retared who posted that is a fucking mental case who, he and his whackjob Miami supporters, keeps harping about how great Miami will be in MLS, despite the failure of the sport and sports in general in South Florida, and anyone who questions the bid is branded a hater.

Cashcleaner
02-01-2009, 02:53 AM
I don't have any problem at all with MLS teams striking up partnerships with larger foreign clubs, though I really feel its counter-productive (ie: fucking bullshit) to simply copy the names and visual identities of those long-established clubs.

Of course, I realize that I'm preaching to the choir here.

Flipityflu
02-01-2009, 03:06 AM
i have no problem with it either. i don't care what shirt they wear since the only one i care about is red with a lovely maple leaf on the sleeve. i just hope they get embraced by the locals.

Pachuco
02-01-2009, 09:59 AM
I don't see the big deal, I don't get how people say this is a negative thing. Maybe I'm missing something.

NF-FC
02-01-2009, 11:38 AM
This league will never be tops in the world, not even top 10. If the league can get some big, legitimate backing from world class clubs, I don't see that as a bad thing.

Not that the whole league should turn into the Champions League reserve league, but a few vested teams wouldn't hurt.

I don't care if it's not a top ten league, I just want it to stand on its own and be respectable.

loconet
02-01-2009, 08:53 PM
fuck this garbage!

Toronto Gunner
02-02-2009, 10:53 AM
I don't get the uproar, isn't this done in leagues in South America as well?

Jeffro
02-02-2009, 01:18 PM
As a Barca supporter, I will not be happy to see a Barca affiliated team at Bmo against my Reds. They better be called FCMiami and not Miami Barca or anything goofy like that.

mr k
02-02-2009, 01:34 PM
I'm not opposed to foreign clubs running proxy clubs in the MLS - but Miami is the wrong city.

This move reminds me of Bettman putting NHL franchises in Arizona, Florida, Georgia, Tennessee etc..Somebody flashes some corporate money and landish dreams of big city exposure to please the TV gods means lack of organic support is basically dismissed.

The Oz
02-02-2009, 10:07 PM

Would you mind showing me 10 leagues that are better than the MLS that will always be better? You can't say that. Nor can I say it will be one of the best in the world. We don't know what will happen in the years to come. But I'm sure that MLS will climb the ranks of the soccer world with less shitty mickey mouse rules and restrictions on teams as we get towards the end of the recession (eventually) and then as teams become more sucessful the would raise the profile of the league. All this will take is time, a while yes, but at least we'll have been here from the beginning.

billyfly
02-02-2009, 10:08 PM
As a Barca supporter, I will not be happy to see a Barca affiliated team at Bmo against my Reds. They better be called FCMiami and not Miami Barca or anything goofy like that.

This is another thread Lol.... (Who would you support?)

jloome
02-02-2009, 10:13 PM
Do the world a favour and boycott MLS rumours. It's utterly inaccurate, and tries to pawn this off by saying "well, we did say it was a rumour." But soccer-starved fans are going to it anyway because it occasionally gets one right. It's a fucking joke.