PDA

View Full Version : Grella offered Leeds deal

jloome
01-31-2009, 02:13 PM
...not citing any one particular source, it's out there in a few places. Apparently he scored another two goals in a closed-door scrimmage, making it five in two games, and Leeds is drooling.

This might turn out in our favour though, as he has been repeatedly described by U.S. college soccer fans as the "personification of a locker room cancer," or something like that.

It'll be interesting to see who has the bigger career, White or Grella.

Beach_Red
01-31-2009, 02:42 PM
^ If only we had betting shops here that would give us odds. If they were good enough, I'd take White, but that may only be because I think there'll be less pressure here than there will be on Grella.

CretanBull
01-31-2009, 02:46 PM
Most people picked Grella as the most talented player in the NCAA last year, he wasn't really discussed during the MLS draft because he made it clear that he was going to Europe and most people thought he'd stick. Playing at Leeds is a bigger move than other NCAA players going to Europe to play in Norway's 2nd division...

rocker
01-31-2009, 02:49 PM
I'll be keeping an eye on him, just as I keep an eye on Joseph Lapira ;)
Lapira had 7 goals in 23 games in Norway.. although he had 3 goals in 1 game... take that away and it's 4 goals in 22 games. Not that hot. Grella should do better.

oxygenatedbrain
01-31-2009, 05:25 PM
To be fair, I believe Lapira played wide right for the most part, not up front...

rocker
01-31-2009, 05:29 PM
wasn't he drafted as a striker tho?

i figured that was where his value lay... at least to us. in midfield he would be worth less to us given the current situation.

oxygenatedbrain
01-31-2009, 05:40 PM
Well, yeah...his game is all about uh, "enthusiasm", from what I gather, so it was a matter of fitting him into their line up...he's definitely not a midfielder in terms of skills...but it does account for the strike rate...

Shakes McQueen
02-02-2009, 09:54 AM
As per Sky Sports, Grella has now been permanently signed with Leeds.

- Scott

andyc
02-02-2009, 01:27 PM
TFC even got a mention on the Leeds website...

"The striker also had the option to link up with former United head coach John Carver at Toronto, but was keen to try his luck in Europe."

http://www.leedsunited.com/page/LatestNewsDetail/0,,10273~1542601,00.html

Nuvinho
02-05-2009, 04:23 PM
From Ives, Grella talks about MLS

"It's weird because first I said I'd never play in MLS because I wanted to play in Europe. That was my dream, something I wanted to pursue," Grella said. "But when MLS came across with such a good offer considering I was a senior and, at the time, Europe was a very big gamble, it was certainly enticing at the time. But I'm glad it worked out this way."
Grella didn't go into specifics about what MLS offered, but sources say it was a deal in the low six figures. As for his contract at Leeds, Grella only said, "it's a lot better."
"It was a phenomenal contract from MLS," Grella said. "But Leeds is, both competitive-wise and financially, a better decision for me."
Grella hasn't shut the door completely on playing in MLS and Toronto FC, which selected him in the third round of last month's MLS SuperDraft, holds his rights for two years. But right now Grella's sole motivation is success at Leeds and helping the club gain promotion to the Championship.
"One day I'd love to come back and play in MLS," Grella said. "I don't have anything against MLS at all, but the dream of playing in Europe, the fans there are so much more passionate and it's so much more real to me."

http://www.soccerbyives.net/soccer_by_ives/2009/02/a-few-days-removed-from-his-lifelong-dream-becoming-reality-mike-grella-returned-to-his-famliys-glen-cove-li-home-but-th.html

MartinUtd
02-05-2009, 04:36 PM
oh wow.. more than 6 figures? They only offered Beckford something like £40000 when he first signed on

Razcle
02-06-2009, 11:37 PM
^^ That is crazy. And if you take into account the cost of living in England compared to Canada/US, there is no way his cost of living is better at Leeds. However, if you want to get noticed by the top teams in Europe. Leeds is not a bad platform to start out with. Its a fair sized club that has found themselves in a bit of a nasty situation

LUFC
02-08-2009, 02:14 AM
lets hope we can have a gd striker partnership develope???

LUFC
02-08-2009, 02:15 AM
also anyone kno where i can watch some leeds matchs on the internet?

MartinUtd
02-08-2009, 02:12 PM
League One games are really hard to come by. I've only seen two Leeds games all year and both were cup games. I'm hoping there'll be a stream this monday against Millwall since they're playing on an odd day.

MartinUtd
02-08-2009, 02:14 PM
I was right!!

http://www.myp2p.eu/broadcast.php?matchid=29939&part=sports

Hopefully this works out

LUFC
02-08-2009, 03:21 PM
I was right!!

http://www.myp2p.eu/broadcast.php?matchid=29939&part=sports

Hopefully this works out

Fucking right CHEERS! hope to god it works 2 games a season is just not enough!

Razcle
02-08-2009, 06:03 PM
also anyone kno where i can watch some leeds matchs on the internet?

Leeds TV dude.....you can watch as much Leeds content as you want.

LUFC
02-09-2009, 12:49 AM
dont u have to pay for that?

MartinUtd
02-09-2009, 12:54 PM
Leeds TV dude.....you can watch as much Leeds content as you want.

I was looking into this a while ago.. isn't it just highlight archived highlight reels and not live matches?