PDA

View Full Version : Arena and Galaxy say Becks STAYS!

TFCREDNWHITE
01-30-2009, 02:32 PM
Bruce Arena and the Galaxy are getting sick and tired of all the rumors and say **** that! Beckham is staying! :)

http://www.goal.com/en-us/news/1110/major-league-soccer/2009/01/30/1085298/arena-beckham-and-milan-know-the-score

i hope he stays.

flatpicker
01-30-2009, 02:35 PM
while it would be nice to see Beckham in the league for another year, it could also be a missed opportunity to grab some big bucks for LA and the league in a transfer deal.

Fort York Redcoat
01-30-2009, 02:35 PM
title check.

No way! Beck stays!

and I don't care anymore about him. Stay, go. WE know what the league is with or without you.

Yohan
01-30-2009, 02:36 PM
and becks plays for league one more yr, but uses opt out clause in oct

mls gets no money from transfer fee

hah

TFCREDNWHITE
01-30-2009, 02:44 PM
Who cares, Galaxy have money, its not about the money for them...

TFCREDNWHITE
01-30-2009, 02:45 PM
title check.

No way! Beck stays!

and I don't care anymore about him. Stay, go. WE know what the league is with or without you.

mods feel free to change the title please..

brad
01-30-2009, 03:01 PM
and becks plays for league one more yr, but uses opt out clause in oct

mls gets no money from transfer fee

hah

The question that none of us can answer is how much money will they make by keeping him in the league for one more year.

If that is greater than the amount being offered in the transfer, they come out ahead.

VPjr
01-30-2009, 03:36 PM
Sell him...do the right thing. Of course, i would not accept a low ball offer....$10 million is the minimum they should accept. Milan can afford it and if they want him bad enough, they'll pay. Between selling Becks and Landycakes, LAG could be looking at $15-20 million in transfer payments. not bad. They can find adequate replacements with the money that would create.

He doesn't belong in MLS. I'm sure he somewhat regretted the decision once he helped lead Madrid to a La Liga title. However, the money was too good to resist.

He's done his job for MLS. Lots of media stories, lots of kit sales, full stadiums whenever he comes to towns across the league, etc... They got the marketing bump they were hoping for. Now is the time to work on developing the soccer development side of their business.

Let him go. A footballers career is short. He should play top level football. He will leave a relatively positive legacy

Toronto Ruffrider
01-30-2009, 03:39 PM
The question that none of us can answer is how much money will they make by keeping him in the league for one more year.

If that is greater than the amount being offered in the transfer, they come out ahead.

That's a good point. LA paid an arm and a leg to get Becks in the first place, but economically it's paying off. AC Milan will have to offer LA more than 2x Mo Edu's transfer fee in order to get Beckham on a permanent basis.

flatpicker
01-30-2009, 05:04 PM

good point... I'm sure LA is crunching the numbers and making the necessary adjustments to their forecasts based on the current economic climate..
:drinking:

GhostPK
01-30-2009, 11:38 PM
Becks knows he isn't welcome in Canada, let him go.

Flipityflu
01-31-2009, 02:16 AM
ok, i'm putting this here cuz i'm not going to start another thread and get accused of being in love lol

Milan omits Beckham, prompting speculation of L.A. Galaxy return

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/soccer/01/30/beckham.milan/index.html

Hustle
01-31-2009, 02:58 AM
If he leaves, it looks bad on his part and it looks bad on MLS....I couldn't care less other than that.

Broadview
01-31-2009, 07:46 AM
"Meanwhile, the Galaxy have always maintained Beckham will be returning on time. The official deal with the Rossoneri is a six-month loan, meaning Beckham would stay until June.
However, the clubs supposedly have a "gentleman's agreement" that he will be allowed to go back to Los Angeles for the start of the MLS season."

Why is everything so feakin' ambiguous? Unless loan agreements have to be six months, which I've never heard of, if there's a "gentleman's agreement", why didn't they write that down?

The most important thing is that the Galaxy suck now and hopefully, suck in the future as well. If a ton of allocation is going to improve that team (which I suspect is likely) then screw a big transfer. Pretty Boy has to honour his fat contract for just one more season.

Carter
01-31-2009, 07:57 AM
bhahahahhaahahahaha, who cares, they have to give away their season tickets.... a buck? wtf!

pepher
01-31-2009, 08:12 AM
take the money and run. go get a new guy. new coach, new guy, new start.

werewolf
01-31-2009, 08:15 AM
If Galaxy keep him, and he leaves for free at the end of the season, I wonder if another team might try to outbid Milan for him.

bee dubya
01-31-2009, 10:18 AM
I think they should sell him. I'm sure that he wants to go now and with the likelyhood of Donovan staying with Bayern Munich, who else is going to be on the Galaxy for Becks to pass to?

Beckham's realized that he came here too early in his career. He should have gone to AC Milan two years ago instead of coming here and this loan spell has just proved it.

Maybe he'll come back when he's 35. :)

Pachuco
01-31-2009, 10:35 AM
"Meanwhile, the Galaxy have always maintained Beckham will be returning on time. The official deal with the Rossoneri is a six-month loan, meaning Beckham would stay until June.
However, the clubs supposedly have a "gentleman's agreement" that he will be allowed to go back to Los Angeles for the start of the MLS season."

Why is everything so feakin' ambiguous? Unless loan agreements have to be six months, which I've never heard of, if there's a "gentleman's agreement", why didn't they write that down?

The most important thing is that the Galaxy suck now and hopefully, suck in the future as well. If a ton of allocation is going to improve that team (which I suspect is likely) then screw a big transfer. Pretty Boy has to honour his fat contract for just one more season.

This reporting is wrong. I have ready enough times (quotes from Beckham himself) that his gig in Milan is finished in March.

Broadview
01-31-2009, 06:23 PM
whoops, wrong thread.

jayzez
01-31-2009, 06:33 PM
He'll go whenever and wherever Adidas tells him to (i.e. any team with Adidas kits - Real Madrid, LA/MLS, AC Milan). When they decide they can't sell him in North America anymore, it'll be time to move on to a new league and team... and that day is near.

Oldtimer
02-03-2009, 01:45 PM
Beckham Brings Lawyers To Help With Milan Stay

Milan midfielder David Beckham is so keen on extending his stay with the Rossoneri that he has instructed his lawyers to help him find a way of staying at the San Siro.

http://sports.yahoo.com/sow/news?slug=goal_beckham_brings_lawyers&prov=goal&type=lgns

Lawyers. Could get ugly.

Pachuco
02-03-2009, 02:03 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/sow/news?slug=goal_beckham_brings_lawyers&prov=goal&type=lgns

Lawyers. Could get ugly.

WOW

When beckham left alot of people were saying that this is good for the MLS - I argued it and never understood how people trully believed that. Now, it's a freeking disaster if you ask me, this couldn't make MLS look any worse. That's how bad playing here was that he can't even keep his commitment to play one more season with LA.

rocker
02-03-2009, 02:07 PM
"find a legal loophole"? ummm.. if he gets out of his contract it'll be a negotiation not finding a loophole. i think these European newspapers just like to say shit.

TFCREDNWHITE
02-03-2009, 02:29 PM

Lawyers. Could get ugly.

If Beckham F*cks us like that i will forever hate him!!

flatpicker
02-03-2009, 02:45 PM
I will be ok with it if he stays in Milan.
But I will feel pretty sour if the league gets no money in return for him.

I honestly think that if Beckham really feels this passionate about staying there, then LA and MLS need to let him go.
What's the point in having him play another year here if he's just gonna be in a crappy mood the whole time?
How would fans feel about having him in LA knowing he wants to be somewhere else?

I say take the money and let him go!

torfchamilton
02-03-2009, 03:43 PM
ok, i'm putting this here cuz i'm not going to start another thread and get accused of being in love lol

Milan omits Beckham, prompting speculation of L.A. Galaxy return

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/soccer/01/30/beckham.milan/index.html

I have read so many articles saying that he has been placed on the UEFA roster
http://news.yahoo.com/s/cpress/20090202/ca_pr_on_ru_so/20090202_soc_ac_milan_beckham_2

Wagner
02-03-2009, 03:50 PM
LA Gals should take the transfer money.

Also, do you really want Soccer Spice to bad mouth the league.
if it gets ugly he could drop a quote like "it's a terrible league, very unprofessional..." and that would set the league back a few years.

Mikey
02-03-2009, 04:30 PM
Actually its Beckham that will have to watch his step. If LA bench his ass for the season, his England career is dead in the water.......

trane
02-03-2009, 04:30 PM
Forza Milan.

torfchamilton
02-03-2009, 04:32 PM
He is gone and it looks like $20 million from the reports. How much will Landycakes fetch?

flatpicker
02-05-2009, 11:54 PM
ok... so I have a theory...

Perhaps Beckham has some sort of Sampson complex.
He always had stylish hair during the best years of his career.
Then he shaves his head and moves to LA.
There, things don't go as well as hoped.
So, he heads off to Milan and grows his hair again into a fancy, pretty-boy faux-hawk.
BOOM! He's on top of the world again!

Coincidence? I think not!

http://www.independent.co.uk/multimedia/archive/00023/beckham_23977t.jpg (http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/news-and-comment/dichio-leaves-beckham-in-the-shade-809005.html?action=Popup)

<object width="480" height="295"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/AD739mbxb3A&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/AD739mbxb3A&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="295"></embed></object>

james
02-06-2009, 12:27 AM
i dont care if Beckham leaves, i was getting sick of people refferring to LA games as "the Beackham Game" and people only interrested in MLS because of Beckham. But with Beckham wanting to leave makes it look really bad on MLS. The fact that he couldnt even stand playing just 2 seasons in MLS is pretty bad.

But there could be a positive out of this whole Beckham wanting to leave thing and making MLS look bad. Maybe it will open the eyes of people running MLS. Maybe they will realize that they gotta step the level of the league up a notch!

BuSaPuNk
02-06-2009, 07:18 AM
Just makes me wonder he knows that there is the opt out clause to his contract that kicks in after this year. Why didn't he go on a loan somewhere last year? Looks like he planned this all along. Either way the MLS are not that stupid take the transfer fee and get rid of him instead of holding your guns and making him stay then he leaves for nothing at the end of the season. Not only do you get nothing financially, you also look really bad to the press.

Eastend
02-06-2009, 08:07 AM
I say MLS is a springboard for washed up players careers. They come here thinking they're done, we rehab them, then send them back to Europe. MLS should be hailed not dumped on.

joel
02-06-2009, 09:51 AM
ok... so I have a theory...

Perhaps Beckham has some sort of Sampson complex.
He always had stylish hair during the best years of his career.
Then he shaves his head and moves to LA.
There, things don't go as well as hoped.
So, he heads off to Milan and grows his hair again into a fancy, pretty-boy faux-hawk.
BOOM! He's on top of the world again!

Coincidence? I think not!

I think it was just really hot in LA

stugautz
02-06-2009, 10:05 AM
Well, Beckham did make the galaxy a lot of money in jersey sales. And their stadium was sold out for two seasons. I wonder what the exact number was (Beckham related revnue - Beckham salary). Add in the transfer fee and it looks like everybody made a few $$$