PDA

View Full Version : At least One Pro Soccer NA League Gets It...

Flipityflu
01-30-2009, 12:15 PM
Regular-season champ rewarded in WPS' playoffs

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/soccer/01/30/wps.playoffs/index.html

flatpicker
01-30-2009, 12:21 PM
^ nice!

"We also felt that rewarding the teams for their placings in the regular-season table gave a nod to soccer heritage while also upholding the American playoff tradition with elimination games."

T_Mizz
01-30-2009, 12:41 PM
I want to be the first to lay my prediction down so it will be that much more impressive when it comes true, LA Sol win the title against FC Golden Pride

bee dubya
01-30-2009, 12:49 PM
I like it! It would be nice to see MLS adjust their current playoff structure to give more importance to the regular season.

Fort York Redcoat
01-30-2009, 12:51 PM
Almost there...

SQUIRREL
01-30-2009, 12:59 PM
I have to say I love that structure....you get a little bit of tradition and it makes the regular season more important, but yet you keep the North American play-offs. I love the fact you are going to have the best teams in the final.

CDNSoccerFan
01-30-2009, 03:14 PM
Is it too much of a layoff between games for the 1st place team?

And FWIW I tihnk Boston wins the 1st title

Cas87
01-30-2009, 03:19 PM
I like it! It would be nice to see MLS adjust their current playoff structure to give more importance to the regular season.

I think all that MLS could do though is place the regular season conference champs into the conference finals, then have the remaining however many teams fight to meet them there

Flipityflu
01-30-2009, 03:34 PM
its the home field advantage with the best team in the league for that season i like.

Detroit_TFC
01-30-2009, 04:41 PM
It's a small league, somewhat more flexible.

Broadview
01-30-2009, 04:54 PM
Is it too much of a layoff between games for the 1st place team?

And FWIW I tihnk Boston wins the 1st title

That's the first thing that came to my mind as well. Sure you get to heal a bit, but at the expense of rustiness.

And I'll take Sky Blue FC just for the helluvit. My walls in here are sorta sky blue.

T_Mizz
01-30-2009, 07:40 PM
I'm saying Sol based on solely Marta she's gonna get like 40 goals

Detroit_TFC
01-30-2009, 08:42 PM
I'm saying Sol based on solely Marta she's gonna get like 40 goals

I actually hope she bombards the league with her goal fests, that will get some attention for sure.

T_Mizz
01-30-2009, 09:03 PM
^Yeah I meant per game

mighty_torontofc_2008
01-30-2009, 09:10 PM
for a league that will go under by mid summer...

T_Mizz
01-31-2009, 01:23 AM
True say woman don't seem to be as accepted as men in any sport even Gretchen Bleiler (Snowboarding) (look her up)

flatpicker
02-09-2009, 03:11 PM
Smith quits Arsenal for US league (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/women/7877878.stm)

bbc

England striker Kelly Smith has stunned Arsenal by quitting the club to play in the United States' new Women's Professional Soccer league.
Smith, 30, has agreed a four-year deal with Boston Breakers and joins team-mates Karen Carney and Alex Scott who are also crossing the Atlantic.
Boston have yet to officially announce Smith's signing, but her loss will be a big blow to England's top club side.
"A four-year contract adds longevity to my career," said Smith.
"It's been great playing for Arsenal, they've been really good to me and it's a wrench to leave. But they've got more than enough quality to still be the best team in the country." Despite that strength in depth, Arsenal manager Vic Akers will urgently seek new players, as will Chelsea boss Steve Jones after losing Anita Asante and Eni Aluko to America.
Smith will be one of the WPS's highest earners while Carney, Scott, Aluko and Asante will also earn substantially higher amounts than they could make in England.

"I couldn't earn anywhere near to what I'll be getting in the WPS if I stayed in this country," added Smith. "But it's not just about money.
"It's about playing with and against the best players in the world, training every day and everything else that goes with being a professional footballer."
Scott, like Smith, is to join Boston while Carney has signed for Chicago Red Stars, Aluko for St Louis Athletica and Asante for the New York and New Jersey team Sky Blue.
All five players are key members of the England squad and with the European Championship finals set for August, their loss is likely to hamper the team's preparations.
The blow has been softened, however, by clauses in the players' contracts that will see them released for Euro 2009 build-up matches as well as the tournament itself.
Smith said: "I love playing for England and if that clause had not been in my contract I wouldn't have signed it.
"I'm really looking forward to playing in the WPS, but I wouldn't want to miss out on the opportunity to play for my country whenever I'm selected."

well... I guess when it comes to the women... the USA has the top soccer league!

trane
02-09-2009, 03:28 PM
^ Is she our new DP?

Red Skies At Night
02-09-2009, 04:21 PM
will they be wearing those really tight shorts?

**I'll get my coat**