PDA

View Full Version : No Becks in TO ?

REDJUVE
01-30-2009, 09:58 AM
The MLS has done it again and has booked a league match during a FIFA international date. June 6th is when the Galaxy come to BMO and England plays Kazakhstan.. Even if Beckham stays with the Galaxy this season, don't count on seeing him in Toronto. ... bye bye Becks !

flatpicker
01-30-2009, 09:59 AM
He won't even be in MLS this season!
So stop worrying about it.

Shakes McQueen
01-30-2009, 10:00 AM
You're assuming he will definitely get a call-up to the match. Capello still doesn't sound sold on him.

- Scott

S_D
01-30-2009, 10:00 AM
well by the looks of it he won't be.

The bigger question is how on earth is MLSE going to be able to flog that 20 pack of marlies tickets for the rights to 1 ticket for the "beckham" game :D

Carter
01-30-2009, 10:02 AM
Who cares about Soccer Spice anyways?

Shakes McQueen
01-30-2009, 10:12 AM
The funny thing is, the Marlies/TFC bullshit packs actually classify the TFC vs. Galaxy match as one of the "premium" matches in the pack, since they are assuming Secksy Becksy will be there.

If he isn't, will those people get a small refund? Fat chance. Maybe they will email out an extra Marlies ticket. :D

- Scott

Wagner
01-30-2009, 10:13 AM
1) old news
2) soccer spice sucks

jabbronies
01-30-2009, 10:14 AM
The funny thing is, the Marlies/TFC bullshit packs actually classify the TFC vs. Galaxy match as one of the "premium" matches in the pack, since they are assuming Secksy Becksy will be there.

If he isn't, will those people get a small refund? Fat chance. Maybe they will email out an extra Marlies ticket. :D

- Scott

And this is my issue with Becks and the MLS. Why are we paying top ticket dollar (relativley speaking) for a last place team with no superstar?? Talk about treaing your fans like a bunch of chumps.

Toronto_Bhoy
01-30-2009, 10:17 AM
How can you justify LA as a "premium" ticket when their one of worst teams in the league?

The Marketing Genius of MLSE! Bring back Seat Cushion Day!!! Better still…Duracell Battery Day!!!

denime
01-30-2009, 10:19 AM
As far I'm concern he can stay at Milan.
I like to see all those Becks fans get burned again.There will be more ST for real supporters once wannabe soccer fans drop their tickets.

Fort York Redcoat
01-30-2009, 10:23 AM
I honestly prefer it when he's not there. Then I know those who show are watching football not stargazing.

TorCanSoc
01-30-2009, 10:28 AM
He's a quality player of international reputation. His recent form proves this, a few goals at AC Milan one of the best clubs in the world. He is one of those "I saw him play when he was in Toronto" kind of player. I would like to see the guy play TFC (and lose badly).

I kind of like the circus he creates. I'd feel jilted if he did not show up (again).

The Kingpin
01-30-2009, 10:29 AM
1) old news
2) soccer spice sucks

:noidea:

Greatest English Winger of his era...
Has always operated with class...
(Other than Galaxy) Has always played for TOP championship clubs...
Tried (he probably really didn't know how clueless Garber was) to put MLS on the map....

Oh well.

Nomad
01-30-2009, 10:33 AM
I would like to see the guy play TFC (and lose badly).

I saw him play in LA against TFC. They lost. It was close, but they lost. Good game.

Beach_Red
01-30-2009, 10:35 AM

Tried (he probably really didn't know how clueless Garber was) to put MLS on the map....

Oh well.

Maybe he didn't realize soccer is still number #8 in America after every other pro sport and most college sports.

Now, whether that's Garber's fault or just a fact of life is up for debate, I guess, but do you think anyone really thought the sport was going to move up many spaces in one or two years?

SLBuu
01-30-2009, 10:54 AM
1) old news
2) soccer spice sucks

are you delirious...... he is the greatest player of all time now that he's on Milan. he has completely redeemed himself! :rolleyes:

anto7
01-30-2009, 10:55 AM
I like to see all those Becks fans get burned again.There will be more ST for real supporters once wannabe soccer fans drop their tickets.
Did you ever think that perhaps some of those people who bought season tickets just so that the could see Becks actually became interested in the game and are now TFC supporters ?.
I think people are far to quick to dismiss the positive effect he had on this league regardless of the circus that comes with it.
He has helped peolpe recognise this league both within this continent and all over the world, surely that cannot be a bad thing.
I personally will be very disapointed if he misses the TFC game again since I appreciate the chance of watching class players performing their trade.
I think anyone who was at the all star game would admit that he was able to silence the boo-boys with his sheer ability on the pitch and after the first 20 minutes or so those same boo-boys were cheering his every move.
That alone speaks volumes for the man.
Yes, as a life-long United fan I may be biased but as a life-long player and supporter of football I also appreciate true ability.

Wagner
01-30-2009, 10:59 AM

Greatest English Winger of his era...
Has always operated with class...
(Other than Galaxy) Has always played for TOP championship clubs...

Oh well.

Didn't know you were such a fan.
Will you be getting a jersey made up?

The dude can place a free kick like no other.
but he's still on the opposition.

"He cannot kick with his left foot, he cannot head a ball, he cannot tackle and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that he's all right."
-- George Best (his assesment of Manchester United's David Beckham)

lintberg
01-30-2009, 11:08 AM
Did you ever think that perhaps some of those people who bought season tickets just so that the could see Becks actually became interested in the game and are now TFC supporters ?.
I think people are far to quick to dismiss the positive effect he had on this league regardless of the circus that comes with it.
He has helped peolpe recognise this league both within this continent and all over the world, surely that cannot be a bad thing.
I personally will be very disapointed if he misses the TFC game again since I appreciate the chance of watching class players performing their trade.
I think anyone who was at the all star game would admit that he was able to silence the boo-boys with his sheer ability on the pitch and after the first 20 minutes or so those same boo-boys were cheering his every move.
Yes, as a life-long United fan I may be biased but as a life-long player and supporter of football I also appreciate true ability.

Ditto...100% agreed!

denime
01-30-2009, 11:14 AM

This explains why are you so horny on Becks.:D

As far the "people who bought season tickets just so that they could see Becks actually became interested in the game and are now TFC supporters".
Well,those who became TFC supporters will stay and they are welcome,wannabee soccer supporters who will get rid of theirs ST are welcome to leave too,it is a WIN-WIN situation for real TFC Supporters.

Super
01-30-2009, 11:16 AM
FINALLY the MLS knows how to screw things up in our favour. It looks like Becks won't be returning to the MLS anyway, but if he does, then I for one will be happy if he is not playing against us at BMO. The guy is a great footballer, and why would I want to see him play AGAINST us? I already saw him play in real live person in the All-Star game. I can do without him knocking in a goal or two against our TFC.

STOP WANTING STARS TO PLAY AGAINST TFC! WE'RE SUPPOSED TO WANT TO WIN! :(

denime
01-30-2009, 11:17 AM
"He cannot kick with his left foot, he cannot head a ball, he cannot tackle and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that he's all right."
-- George Best (his assessment of Manchester United's David Beckham)

Agreed 100% :iagree:

anto7
01-30-2009, 11:17 AM
This explains why are you so horny on Becks.:D

As far the "people who bought season tickets just so that they could see Becks actually became interested in the game and are now TFC supporters".
Well,those who became TFC supporters will stay and they are welcome,wannabee soccer supporters who will get rid of theirs ST are welcome to leave too,it is a WIN-WIN situation for real TFC Supporters.
Agreed

denime
01-30-2009, 11:19 AM
Agreed

:grouphug:

anto7
01-30-2009, 11:21 AM
Agreed 100% :iagree:
Since George is my favourite player of all time and he said that then perhaps I may have to back down just a little on my admiration for Beckham !!!!

TFC Cityboy
01-30-2009, 11:21 AM
No doubt BMO Field will still be full o' muppets that bought LA tickets on Craigslist and ebay anyway as those people would be completely oblivious to what a FIFA week is anyway.
Last season was priceless- pisses down rain and the covered areas were full of people who looked like they wouldn't know what BMO Field was if they tripped over it prior to that date whilst the stands were rocking with us piss-wet and pissed-up loudmoouthed bastards- the best damned loud-mouthed bastards in the league.
Loved it when the sun came out - biggest cheer of the day!

TFC Via Buffalo
01-30-2009, 12:05 PM
Best chant I heard from last year:

Posh likes to be on top
With Beckham down below
But when she starts to bump and grind
She thinking Dichio
OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH Danny Dichio
Dichio
Dichio
Danny Dichioooooooooooooooooooooooo

Saw Beckham at the All Star game. Great. Grand. Wonderful. Let's move on. Sucks he won't play here for people who really want to see him. Just makes it easier to taunt the "Herbalife Crowd" he draws.

Hitcho
01-30-2009, 12:06 PM
GOOD, because:

1. no irritating fuckwit schoolgirl fans and their parents filling up BMO Field for the wrong reason; and

2. LAG will be weaker which is better for our boys!

Steve
01-30-2009, 12:07 PM
And this is my issue with Becks and the MLS. Why are we paying top ticket dollar (relativley speaking) for a last place team with no superstar?? Talk about treaing your fans like a bunch of chumps.

Come on, you know LA, whether Becks comes back or not, they'll have a superstar. Certainly not on the level of Beckham, but they'll bring in someone for their DP that will be worth seeing. I'm not saying it should be a premium ticket, I'm just saying LA is not going to sit pat with losing their two stars without replacing them. It doesn't seem like a "be patient and build through the draft" type of team like the Revolution. They want to be big, and they want to be big now. Will they win? Probably not, but they'll probably bring some interesting players anyway.

Hitcho
01-30-2009, 12:07 PM
Best chant I heard from last year:

Posh likes to be on top
With Beckham down below
But when she starts to bump and grind
She thinking Dichio
OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH Danny Dichio
Dichio
Dichio
Danny Dichioooooooooooooooooooooooo

Saw Beckham at the All Star game. Great. Grand. Wonderful. Let's move on. Sucks he won't play here for people who really want to see him. Just makes it easier to taunt the "Herbalife Crowd" he draws.

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

MartinUtd
01-30-2009, 01:58 PM

I really enjoyed asking "Did you pay more for the shirt or the ticket" last year because the answer was always the ticket. Either way it would be nice to see him play just once.

It seems MLS can coordinate LAG paying at sold out BMO on an international day but can't seem extend the same scheduling savvy in a way then would actually benefit the league and not just their short sighted bottom line.

Nuvinho
01-30-2009, 02:19 PM
What??? Kyle Beckerman is not going to play in Toronto when RSL visits??

Mikey
01-30-2009, 02:43 PM
a lot of the mad rush on remaining season tickets immediately after the beckham announcement was scalpers.

So ha fucking ha ha asshats!

Hitcho
01-30-2009, 02:58 PM
a lot of the mad rush on remaining season tickets immediately after the beckham announcement was scalpers.

So ha fucking ha ha asshats!

I'm with you on that for sure, but now the demand is clearly there, they're not going to give up the tickets. Only if there are empty seats aplenty on a regular basis will the scalpers fuck off. Still, they won't get any knid of return on the LA tickets now - wankers.

Azerban
01-30-2009, 03:01 PM

ahahahahahaha

ahaahahahahaha

haha

FluSH
01-30-2009, 03:02 PM
whoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooooooo cares!

Flipityflu
01-30-2009, 03:33 PM

well flush, alot considering how many threads about beckham pop up.

in the end, i support TFC, so if LA is coming to town without their best player, then so much the better for us.

that said, i do see why people want to see him play so i have sympathy for them.

Super
01-30-2009, 04:16 PM
People had a chance to see him play in the All-Star game. This was an ideal opportunity because we could actually appreciate his class without worrying it would hurt TFC. Now that I've seen him I'm personally happy to see him go abroad again. Unless he signs for us I'd prefer not to see him in this league again.

AL-MO
01-30-2009, 04:31 PM

I DO!

I wanted to sell my LA tickets to fund my road trips this year :D

Boondaddy
01-30-2009, 04:39 PM
I DO!

I wanted to sell my LA tickets to fund my road trips this year :D

yeah, good point; however, Beck's won't be in the MLS this season. Apparently, he's still the pup's nuts!

arbogast
01-30-2009, 04:53 PM

Bingo!

Anyone who actually gives a shit are nothing but tourists as far as I'm concerned.

GeorgeB
01-30-2009, 05:54 PM
Bingo!

Anyone who actually gives a shit are nothing but tourists as far as I'm concerned.and Fanboys !

anto7
01-30-2009, 08:43 PM
Bingo!

Anyone who actually gives a shit are nothing but tourists as far as I'm concerned.
I wonder how many people who post on this board had ever actually seen a live professional football game before TFC came along and now all of a sudden they are experts on the game.

nascarguy
01-30-2009, 08:43 PM
do not care about him

nascarguy
01-30-2009, 08:44 PM
and Fanboys !
and named GeorgeB....lol:p:drinking::)

TorCanSoc
01-31-2009, 06:19 PM
I wonder how many people who post on this board had ever actually seen a live professional football game before TFC came along and now all of a sudden they are experts on the game.

Only other pro soccer games were Blizzard, and Toronto Lynx. Does that count?

Bender
01-31-2009, 06:53 PM
this news doesn't bother me none i donno why were even talking about him.

mighty_torontofc_2008
01-31-2009, 07:00 PM
We beat the Galaxy with him and without him.....couldnt care less if he stays or goes.

magpie55
01-31-2009, 07:08 PM
Becks wouldn't even have cracked the top 50 of all time at any time in his career. Assuming he and Landon Donovan stay in Europe the Galaxy will miss Donovan's prolific scoring way more than they'll miss Beckham's strutting. Sure, initially he was putting bums in seats in stadiums that need that sort of celebrity to sell out a game, but the Becks effect was even wearing off for these games. I resent the idea of a premium game at the best of times but particularly ivolving a team as awful as the Galaxy.

arbogast
01-31-2009, 07:35 PM

Dude, I ask myself that question all the time. it's honestly why I stay at arms legnth from this forum at times.

anto7
01-31-2009, 07:45 PM
I am all for everyone having their opinion after all that is what makes these forums click, however when I see some of the ognorant responses that are posted at times it does make you think that they probably have little to no knowledge of the game.
I guess it is best just to take the comments with a grain of salt and hope that the educated people continue to have a good dialogue.

Flipityflu
01-31-2009, 08:18 PM
Bingo!

ok

so i'm tourist because i think its pretty healthy for a league thats been around for such a short time do its best to sign quality players.

i guess that truly shows how much you care about the continued success for this league. you know, the league Toronto FC NEEDS to exist.

torontocelt
02-01-2009, 09:27 AM
Becks wouldn't even have cracked the top 50 of all time at any time in his career.

There is no shame in not making the best 50 players ever, that list would be crazy. I am not one to make a list which features players from all different positions as it is very difficult to judge a defender against a midfielder etc. What can be said about Beckam is although he has never had great pace, or tricks to go past players or heading ability, he is probably the best crosser of the ball I have ever seen and his range and accuracy of his passing is world class. As far as crossing ability, range of passing, fitness and will to win goes then he was a tremendous talent. On top of that he has brought a great amount of attention to the sport further helping to cement football as the greatest sport on the planet. Beckam can hold his own in any company and would not look out of place in any great football team that has ever existed. You only have to look at the respect he has had from some of the true great football players and managers to understand that beyond the flashy persona there is a footballer with a telent that is truely special.

werewolf
02-01-2009, 09:29 AM
What??? Kyle Beckerman is not going to play in Toronto when RSL visits??

:rofl:

we can only hope.

FCBarcelona
02-01-2009, 09:43 AM
The MLS has done it again and has booked a league match during a FIFA international date. June 6th is when the Galaxy come to BMO and England plays Kazakhstan.. Even if Beckham stays with the Galaxy this season, don't count on seeing him in Toronto. ... bye bye Becks !

FIFA should bann USA from all international games (world cup as well) until they set the leagues around international games, every league in the world does it!

FluSH
02-01-2009, 11:36 AM
Bingo!

whoa whoa.... I'm RPB Tourista slightly different yet don't get it twisted.

:drinking:

Mojo
02-01-2009, 02:17 PM
Heres my marketing genius at work:

When the LA Galaxy come to town, make it "Pet Rock Day".

That'll bring in sales.

giambac
02-01-2009, 02:58 PM
You're assuming he will definitely get a call-up to the match. Capello still doesn't sound sold on him.

- Scott

The English side doesn't have much better to call up so Beck's should and will get the call.