PDA

View Full Version : Who would you cheer for?

Oldtimer
01-30-2009, 09:43 AM
If your favourite foreign club was playing TFC for the Club World Cup, who would you cheer for?

Parkdale
01-30-2009, 09:45 AM
In a real match, I'd cheer for TFC, but on the inside I'd know that any result would be a personal win.

in a friendly, I'd cheer for good plays, and taunt anyone who dives without mercy.

druid
01-30-2009, 09:46 AM
Hmmm, the club my family has supported for generations or the local MLS team?

Wouldn't really be much of a conflict for me but I hope I'd see a great game of football regardless of who won.

ACSertL
01-30-2009, 09:48 AM
I think we've had this discussion before, and like then I would support Bayern for the same reasons I gave last time.

koryo
01-30-2009, 09:50 AM
I don't think we're going to see Leeds United & Toronto FC in this final anytime soon. For the time being, I'm not going to agonize over the decision :)

billyfly
01-30-2009, 09:51 AM
Not the first time we discussed this on this forum. TFC wins. SCP is a side-dish.

Nodoubtguy
Thats tough.....While TFC is number #1 in terms of my following, Barca is a team I've watched for years......

If Barca won, I'd be happy that I got to see them live
If TFC won, I'd be happy and shocked that they beat Barca

Eastend
TFC. Although I support United (passed down over generations), TFC is my first home club and therefore that is whom I would choose.

Shakes McQueen
01-30-2009, 09:53 AM
No question - TFC all the way.

My European clubs will have other opportunities at other, more prestigious trophies, but there is no way I will ever cheer against Toronto FC in any match, ever.

- Scott

Parkdale
01-30-2009, 09:54 AM
but there is no way I will ever cheer against Toronto FC in any match, ever.

- Scott

heck yes!

Eastend
01-30-2009, 10:02 AM
I still cheer for them watching replays of last years matches on Setanta....matches I know they lost.

nobodybeatsthewiz
01-30-2009, 10:04 AM
i dont think id go to the game. that said, i agree with an above that i wouldnt cheer against tfc

Toronto_Bhoy
01-30-2009, 10:12 AM
While I'm all…"root, root-root for the home team"…it would be hard for me to cheer against the team I've supported all my life for a team that's been around for two seasons.

Kind of a "no brainer" for me…guess I'm a football purest when it comes to supporting.

Shakes McQueen
01-30-2009, 10:14 AM
While I'm all…"root, root-root for the home team"…it would be hard for me to cheer against the team I've supported all my life for a team that's been around for two seasons.

Kind of a "no brainer" for me…guess I'm a football purest when it comes to supporting.

I wouldn't so much cheer against my other team, as I would cheer FOR Toronto FC.

Barcelona and Arsenal have all the support they need. In a match like that, our hometown boys will need all the support they can get. :D

- Scott

Nodoubtguy
01-30-2009, 10:14 AM
I don't think I'd "cheer" for either side, but I would defenitly enjoy the match.

Damien
01-30-2009, 10:18 AM
Yeh, we've done a thread on this recently.

Fort York Redcoat
01-30-2009, 10:20 AM
Ah let's do it again for the newbs!

You should support your local team!

(Even if it's not how you fell for the game.)

Toronto_Bhoy
01-30-2009, 10:30 AM
I wouldn't so much cheer against my other team, as I would cheer FOR Toronto FC.

Barcelona and Arsenal have all the support they need. In a match like that, our hometown boys will need all the support they can get. :D

- Scott

I hear ya Shakes…I guess what I'm saying is, as a supporter, you rank your love of a club…1…2…3…

You have your Number One and then there's everyone else…it's not about one team having enough support…this club deserves more…it's who do love the most…who comes first…who's your Number One?

If you drop your Number One to two…that's cool…

Jack
01-30-2009, 10:49 AM
TFC First. My city, my team.

SQUIRREL
01-30-2009, 11:00 AM
I'm all about TFC, Just like all of you, I've put sooo much time, effort and love into this team that I can't go for a team overseas that I only watch on TV. I watch EPL, La LIGA, Liga Sagres and so on....but I'm not at the stadium, I don't live in the city and I won't have the same passion as the true supporters overseas.

But I will say, while I'm cheering on our TFC and they were playing against my second team (which is C.S.MARITIMO...I know it will never happen) I would be happy - win, lose or tie....but I'll be wearing my TFC gear and cheering all our songs and chants.

Daveisonfire
01-30-2009, 11:01 AM
Toronto

Heathen
01-30-2009, 12:00 PM
How do you turn your back on 30 odd years off support? definitely support Brum

MartinUtd
01-30-2009, 12:03 PM
Since I doubt TFC and Leeds United will meet in the Club World Cup anytime soon, I'm assuming it'll be for a friendly. In that case I'd probably be in with the away support. Leeds at BMO and TFC at Elland Road.

Flipityflu
01-30-2009, 12:06 PM
i love TFC, however i've been a Liverpool supporter my entire football life.

MartinUtd
01-30-2009, 12:08 PM
I don't think we're going to see Leeds United & Toronto FC in this final anytime soon. For the time being, I'm not going to agonize over the decision :)

lol.. I didnt even see your comment... didnt mean to copy it almost verbatim either

mclaren
01-30-2009, 12:32 PM
Unfortunately, I'd have to say Sunderland. Only because I've been suffering much longer with them and waiting for glory for oh so much longer.

mighty_torontofc_2008
01-30-2009, 01:07 PM
Toronto FC vs Celtic for the world Club Championship......hmmmmmmmmmmmmm

that would be tough....but since Celtic had thier glory in 67, and if they are in the final that meant they would have won the european Cup again, so i would guive that extra effort hoping TFC could pull it off.

torontocelt
01-30-2009, 01:19 PM
Without a doubt 100% I would want Celtic to win. The only team I would potentially support against them would be Scotland but that will never happen. If I had the choice of Celtic winning another European cup or Scotland winning the world cup then I would go for the Scotland win, that would be absolutely amazing.

There is a question, would you rather your number 1 team wins the best cup possible in their territory (Champs league etc, world club cup even) or would you rather your country wins the world cup?

CretanBull
01-30-2009, 01:47 PM

Since I doubt TFC and Leeds United will meet in the Club World Cup anytime soon, I'm assuming it'll be for a friendly. In that case I'd probably be in with the away support. Leeds at BMO and TFC at Elland Road.

yeah, not in our life times....

I will say this though, if TFC beat Leeds it would be an epic win. If Leeds beat TFC it wouldn't mean much.

Bluenose13
01-30-2009, 01:51 PM
yeah, not in our life times....

I will say this though, if TFC beat Leeds it would be an epic win. If Leeds beat TFC it wouldn't mean much.If TFC lost to the Leeds team of today it would be shocking......The academy would give Leeds a good run :D

AL-MO
01-30-2009, 01:53 PM
TFC. I have very little ties to a club overseas.

Stugatzo
01-30-2009, 01:56 PM
This is a great poll question...I find myself wondering what I would do if Wolves came to play a friendly. Supported them for 30-odd years.

SLBuu
01-30-2009, 02:35 PM
i would support both as i did when Benfica played TFC...... eventhough no goals were scored it was the best game i've been to in the sense that there was no dissapointment on either end for me. I just cheered the entire time!

and i honestly believe TFC had the better of chances that day and could have came away with the victory if not for some spectacular saves fomr the SLB keeper.

CretanBull
01-30-2009, 03:37 PM
If TFC lost to the Leeds team of today it would be shocking......The academy would give Leeds a good run :D

hahaha!

It's not quite that dire!

Lucky Strike
01-30-2009, 03:38 PM
TFC, no question.

As for Barnsley vs. Marseille (my European teams), that's a whole different question.

Redcoe15
01-30-2009, 04:02 PM
number 3 sums up my thoughts perfectly. :canada: :D

BuSaPuNk
01-30-2009, 04:06 PM
TFC without a doubt! Man U, Newcastle, Juventus, Celtic....just teams I like.....TFC I would give blood for. Toronto till I die!!

kodiakTFC
01-30-2009, 04:12 PM
I guess at some point this year TFC moved ahead of Liverpool. Its close probably even really.

werewolf
01-30-2009, 05:13 PM
there is no way I will ever cheer against Toronto FC in any match, ever.

- Scott

Reiterated.

Roogsy
01-30-2009, 05:19 PM
TFC...didn't even have to think twice about it.

Bobo
01-30-2009, 05:20 PM
TFC, but I'd tie my scarf with my Inter one.

I will admit to wanting to see Benfica score in our friendly. 1-1 would have been nice.:o

koryo
01-30-2009, 05:21 PM
lol.. I didnt even see your comment... didnt mean to copy it almost verbatim either

We're Leeds. Great minds think alike.

Truthfully, if push came to shove I'd cheer for Leeds but not cheer against TFC.

Leeds: 30 years
TFC: 2 years

The blood runs thick.

werewolf
01-30-2009, 05:32 PM
I will admit to wanting to see Benfica score in our friendly. 1-1 would have been nice.:o

A shot on target would have been nice....

Brooker
01-30-2009, 05:37 PM
i love Stoke City but if they were playing TFC?

i'd give Rory Delap the who are ya and hope Fuller decks another teammate again.

toronto 'til i die.

Jeffro
01-30-2009, 06:50 PM
TFC first for sure but I would be tempted to wear all of my Barca and TFC jerseys in alternating layers and just take one off once in a while, scream for 90 minutes and probably have waaaay too much to drink.

mighty_torontofc_2008
01-30-2009, 07:14 PM
what if it were TFC v Canada? friendly obviously

TFC_Toon
01-30-2009, 08:57 PM

Agreed, hope for a draw I suppose.

Marc"2L"
01-30-2009, 09:23 PM
Been there, Villa came over for a friendly, and I had a great afternoon/night of footy. I got to stand up for 6 different goals! it was great!

trane
01-30-2009, 09:55 PM
I do not mean this as an anti-TFC comment, but we are so far from competing with AC Milan, that this is a hard question for me to even consider. Even Everton the English club close to my heart is light years away from TFC. Ask me this question in ten years. I hope that then they will be closer.

twistedchinaman
01-30-2009, 10:07 PM
Sunderland v TFC -- TFC definitely.

NateDoGG
01-30-2009, 11:30 PM
well i started supporting chelsea well b4 toronto fc, so i will have to go with #2

SweetOwnGoal
01-30-2009, 11:41 PM

I'd cheer for an errant ball to take out Dale Mitchell.

:cool:

Actually what's interesting about this poll is that the numbers are almost identical to a similar poll run at U-Sector today - it's like 64% TFC first there and 61% here.

COMMON GROUND!

(Now if only we could stop singing over each other...)

Edit to add: There is a difference between cheering for a team andsupporting one. I support my local team. First, last and always. Period. I cheer for Manchester City. Although I take joy in watching City win it isn't even remotely close to what I experience at BMO. I don’t care that TFC is only two years old. To me the roots of this club go all the way back through the Lynx and the Blizzard and Metros-Croatia and Toronto City and...it’s about this city and the fans that I stand beside every Saturday – many of whom waited for years to see this team become a reality and supported whatever was there for them to support.

Like I said, there is a difference between cheering and supporting....

TFC07
01-30-2009, 11:46 PM
TFC only, I don't have a foreign club

TFC07
01-30-2009, 11:47 PM

Canada no doubt. :canada:

NF-FC
01-31-2009, 12:44 AM
TFC vs Borussia Mönchengladbach at the Club WC? HA!!! afraid I'm in the same boat as the Leeds supporters, I'll never have to worry about it. TFC vs Liverpool, TFC get my heart.

Cashcleaner
01-31-2009, 03:26 AM
TFC with absolutely no hesitation. I'd love to see Toronto play Hibernian or Man United, but I could only ever cheer for the Reds.

werewolf
01-31-2009, 03:32 AM
Heart is where the home is.

Bars92
01-31-2009, 03:55 AM
Rangers, Liverpool then TFC.

MartinUtd
01-31-2009, 11:48 AM
While we're talking about Leeds vs TFC, I should mention the peacocks have the younger fitter Robinson.

ExiledRed
01-31-2009, 11:57 AM
I'd grab my beer take a seat somewhere in the middle, sit down, sit back and eat popcorn, maybe even treat myself to a prawn sandwich.

werewolf
01-31-2009, 12:45 PM
I'd grab my beer take a seat somewhere in the middle, sit down, sit back and eat popcorn, maybe even treat myself to a prawn sandwich.

It's called the Parkdale experiance.

except you have to pay for it, instead of getting paid.

;)

Canadian Blue
01-31-2009, 12:55 PM
defo, my foreign club. I have supported them longer and have much more interest in european football than the MLS. Toronto FC is a fun and I enjoy supporting them, but to be truthful if the season ran at the same time as europe I would be more inclined to watch my EPL team play that watch TFC vs RSL

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
01-31-2009, 01:21 PM
defo, my foreign club. I have supported them longer and have much more interest in european football than the MLS. Toronto FC is a fun and I enjoy supporting them, but to be truthful if the season ran at the same time as europe I would be more inclined to watch my EPL team play that watch TFC vs RSL

Stoke C. 1 - 0 (http://www.livescore.com/default.dll/game?comp=england1&game=253978) Manchester C.

:drinking:

Jeffro
01-31-2009, 01:44 PM

Wow, you would miss going to BMO for a live TFC game to stay home and watch a game happening thousands of miles away on television??? Toronto Till I Die, or Toronto till it conflicts with the epl?

TFC games frequently confict with Barca games, and I never had to think about which one I woud watch.

If you live in Canada you can never be a "supporter" of an english or european team, no matter how hard you try.

magpie55
01-31-2009, 02:34 PM
If Newcastle even had a sniff of winning any kind of silverware I would have to back them, even against TFC. You can't turn your back on a team after having spent 35 years tearing your hair out in anger and frustration. Besides TFC are already nearer to winning the league here than Newcastle are to winning anything.

windsorlad111
01-31-2009, 07:29 PM

same here. TFC came into my life MANY years later than the mighty Chel$ki.

tlear
02-01-2009, 02:32 PM
In a friendly TFC (friendly is for fun) in the Club World cup.. Dynamo Kyiv. Can't really go against a club that was supported by my family since my grandfather

TFC vs Canada? TFC no doubt

el rojo fanatico
02-01-2009, 07:34 PM
I now look at Arsenal (who I supported for 20 years) as a dear ex-wife, I still care for her and want all the best for the Gunners. But I now have a new love, sure TFC is not as sexy and cool as the old girl but my new love gives it to me way more( I don't miss a home game, something I could never get with Arsenal). Having been here form the start and all the growing pains of the club and supporters, 8+ hour road trips and bad footie are all things that I cherish and give me more than watching Arsenal on TV and going to 1 game a year. With us on this side of the pond TFC is truly our own.

RYANTFC
02-01-2009, 07:43 PM
I would support my foreign team without a doubt. Been supporting them my whole life.

loconet
02-01-2009, 08:46 PM
Thats tough.....While TFC is number #1 in terms of my following, Barca is a team I've watched for years......

If Barca won, I'd be happy that I got to see them live
If TFC won, I'd be happy and shocked that they beat Barca

Here is a related question.

What if your favorite foreign team, the one you have been following for many years, decides to set up a "sister" club in the same league as the local team you support? You know what I'm talking about. Imagine Barca's outgoing legends - Puyol or Xavi, people you have followed for so many years; players you have idolized, now play their last years of professional footy in the new "sister" club. They have now become "enemies" of your local club. Yes, it might not be the "real" Barca they are playing for but it doesn't make it that much easier to scream against them. Argh....

I can't sleep at night....

Razcle
02-01-2009, 11:09 PM
Tfc...tor..ont..oooooo TFC

Since I only followed foreign clubs as something to do during TFC's offseason it's a no brainer for me.

Roogsy
02-01-2009, 11:14 PM
Here is a related question.

What if your favorite foreign team, the one you have been following for many years, decides to set up a "sister" club in the same league as the local team you support? You know what I'm talking about. Imagine Barca's outgoing legends - Puyol or Xavi, people you have followed for so many years; players you have idolized, now play their last years of professional footy in the new "sister" club. They have now become "enemies" of your local club. Yes, it might not be the "real" Barca they are playing for but it doesn't make it that much easier to scream against them. Argh....

I can't sleep at night....

I can't speak for others, but I know for myself, all other teams are "adopted".

Toronto FC is mine from it's birth. I will be there through it's growing pains rather than some arbitrary process where I had to select a team far away.

That answers it for me.

Don Julio
02-02-2009, 03:03 PM
This would be a much tougher conflict if the season's were played at the same time. If TFC played MCFC, though, I would root for the underdog - as it stands that is TFC (or at least I'd like to think!)

SweetOwnGoal
02-02-2009, 05:11 PM
This would be a much tougher conflict if the season's were played at the same time. If TFC played MCFC, though, I would root for the underdog - as it stands that is TFC (or at least I'd like to think!)

We both know that if TFC played MCFC in a game it would end 0-0 after both sides missed multiple glorious scoring opportunities and the result would somehow give United a title.

[/cynical fan]

Afra
02-03-2009, 08:18 AM
TFC First. My city, my team.

That's why your the President.

Like Roogsey said, TFC is ours from birth.