PDA

View Full Version : beckham asks to stay in Italy, slags MLS

Mikey
01-30-2009, 09:27 AM
Apologies if this is already posted somewhere.

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/view/67624/Becks-Let-me-stay-in-Milan-/

Former England captain Becks, 33, also told of his “frustration” at playing for LA Galaxy in a league that was “10 years behind” European standards.

It is the first time he has revealed his true feelings about his move to the MLS....

playing in Italy was a “dream” and hinting his move to America was a mistake.

wanker.

Technorgasm
01-30-2009, 09:31 AM
WAnker x10.

I knew this circus would end sometime.

Gimme myboys in Red.

The rest of the fuck-wits might as well be dead.

jabbronies
01-30-2009, 09:40 AM
I'm glad this circus has ended. Maybe now the dead heads at MLS front office can focus on developing the game and not prancing around a shitty team with 1 star player and call it progress...

Shakes McQueen
01-30-2009, 09:40 AM
Funnily enough, saying we are only ten years behind European leagues is sort of a backhanded compliment, haha.

But really, if he did say this: Fuck you, Becks.

However, I'd like to see some context for these comments first. The Daily Star isn't exactly a reputable news source, and they seem to be adding their own editorial context to his comments - like saying Becks and Posh are in "turmoil" over this issue.

I'm taking a wait and see approach for now. There would be no need for Beckham to come out and slag the league, and his team, like this. And it seems out of character, given what a solid ambassador he has been, to date.

- Scott

Parkdale
01-30-2009, 09:42 AM
He played in LA. mistake one.

I bet if he played for us in Toronto he'd be saying the league was still shit, but they have some great support over there

anto7
01-30-2009, 09:45 AM
Funnily enough, saying we are only ten years behind European leagues is sort of a backhanded compliment, haha.

But really, if he did say this: Fuck you, Becks.

However, I'd like to see some context for these comments first. The Daily Star isn't exactly a reputable news source, and they seem to be adding their own editorial context to his comments - like saying Becks and Posh are in "turmoil" over this issue.

I'm taking a wait and see approach for now. There would be no need for Beckham to come out and slag the league, and his team, like this. And it seems out of character, given what a solid ambassador he has been, to date.

- Scott
Totally agree with you Shakes, growing up in England I can vouch that the Daily Star is a totally trash tabloid so I would take what they are saying with a pinch of salt.
They have turned around Beckham's comments about the MLS to make it sound very negative when in actual fact he was trying to be quite complimentary.
And since when did Posh become so "big in America" ? !!!

flatpicker
01-30-2009, 09:49 AM
The quote in that article is a little misleading...

What Beckham really said was:

"The truth is that the Americans are doing everything to improve the level and reputation of their football. The league in the USA is young. I think 10 years have to go by to achieve results." (http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=613575&sec=transfers&cc=5901)
ESPNsoccernet (http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=613575&sec=transfers&cc=5901)

^ he's simply stating that the league is still growing and in time it will reach the high level.

The way the Daily Star rewrote his statement makes it sound like he's deliberately insulting MLS.
Which I do not think is really the case.

Shakes McQueen
01-30-2009, 09:51 AM

Beckham said:

ESPNsoccernet (http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=613575&sec=transfers&cc=5901)

^ he's simply stating that the league is still growing and in time it will reach the high level.

The way the Daily Star rewrote his statement makes it sound like he's deliberately insulting MLS.

As I suspected. So instead of "Fuck you Becks", we can shift gears to "Fuck you Daily Star" :D

I thought it seemed out of character that Becks would suddenly lambaste a league he has been really complimentary of since arriving.

- Scott

BFin
01-30-2009, 10:02 AM
who?

MisterMacphisto
01-30-2009, 10:46 AM
If there is one more new thread about Beckhmam...:mad:

Flipityflu
01-30-2009, 11:42 AM
If there is one more new thread about Beckhmam...:mad:

yet you still felt the need to open the thread and post in it...lol

like it or not, its the biggest story for the league right now. its quite obvious he's a pretty polarizing figure in football so its not really surprising how much attention he gets, even around here.

Billy the kid
01-30-2009, 11:52 AM
I can't open the link. I don't care how far behind the league is, it's not too classy to take parting shots publicly when he was paid so much and treated so well here.

Flipityflu
01-30-2009, 11:57 AM
I can't open the link. I don't care how far behind the league is, it's not too classy to take parting shots publicly when he was paid so much and treated so well here.

yes i understand, the truth hurts. also, keep in mind the source of the quotes. the daily star is akin to believing the National Enquirer for hard news.

Hitcho
01-30-2009, 12:00 PM
he said SOME games were frustrating, having played in europe. I bet he means playing on pitches with pointy ball lines on, or plastic pitches, as much as the quality of football being played and the dearth of support.

becks is too professional to be a wanker like the daily shit was making him out to be.

Pachuco
01-30-2009, 12:13 PM

What Beckham really said was:

Man I hate these fucking tabloid sites.

GabrielHurl
01-30-2009, 12:23 PM
WAnker x10.

I don't see why he is a wanker :noidea:

BFin
01-30-2009, 12:33 PM
I don't see why he is a wanker :noidea:
Because he doesn't play for TFC. It's a given that all non TFC players are wankers.

nfitz
01-30-2009, 12:37 PM
Given that the transfer window closes tomorrow and he's still signed by Galaxy, I don't see Beckham not being anywhere except LA this season - unless something happens quickly.

I think most of this is Beckham's publicity machine - perhaps his greatest asset.

mighty_torontofc_2008
01-30-2009, 01:11 PM
Becks will be in LA for seasons start , he has a contract even Milan cant get past, this sillyness about Becks should die.

MUFC_Niagara
01-30-2009, 01:34 PM
Can't blame the guy.....he's waaaaaaaaaaaay too good for this league. However, he should have researched the move a little bit more before he signed on.

Yohan
01-30-2009, 01:55 PM
well, milan is claiming that they registered becks with serie a until end of june...

shwade
01-30-2009, 02:15 PM
Becks is class. He made the biggest mistake of his life coming to the MLS..maybe he'll come back in a couple of years.

joel
01-30-2009, 04:11 PM
This stroy is trash, Beckham is a professional when it comes to the media, and wouldn't say stuff like that. The soccernet artcile comments are measured and appropriate, exactly how he is in all interviews. I wouldn't put much stock in this article.