PDA

View Full Version : Who is to blame for the loss

giambac
05-24-2008, 09:03 PM
Okay what a shit game I mean totally SHIT. They were terrible tonight, maybe it was overconfidence but this wasn't the same TFC that went 3-0-2 at home only conceeding one goal.

I know Carver didn't want to change the starting lineup going into tonights game. Why change what has been working. Well he better make changes for the next game.

Who is to blame for tonights Loss

Sutton - looked shaky on the third goal. But give him a break. He was our best player again tonight and without him they would have lost by 3-4 goals. Yu have to feel for the guy. He gave it all tonight again

Wynn- dumb ass move to give up the penalty shot. what was he thinking?

Midfield - This was their worst gaae since game 2 which was also in DC. All of them didn't have their leags and their passes weren't crisp. Totally out of sync

Edu - what the fuck is up with this guy this year?

Robert - showing his frustartion by getting thrown out at the end of the game. This will hurt as he will have to miss at least the next game. Total SELFISH Move

Carver- Why did he wait so long to make his changes. He should have made them when they were up 2-1. He could have taken Robert given that he already ahd a yellow and it was quite obvious that he was frustrated out there and you could have seen the 2nd yellow was going to happen.

Ricketts - What the hell is up with this guy? Is he ever going to show up for a match. It tells you alot when the coach pulled himout in the second halff. Coach Carver knew that Robert already had a yellow card and was at risk of getting a second yellow. Also Robert wasn't having a good game and looked like he was injured, The natural choice was Robert. Yet Carver knowing all this took RR out because once again he wasn't performing. He sure wasn't doing anything on the offence side and most of the attcks by Dc were on his right side. He shouldn't be starting next game yet probaly will by default given Roberts situation. RR blew another 4 on 2 opportunity in the first half.

Montreal Game - I think Carver has to make some changes. This will be a good game to start Smith and see what he can do. He will satrt in place of Robert

The only positive thing about tonights loss is that it may bring this team back down to earth. It's a long season and maybe a loss tonight will show them that they can't take any games lightly, especially on the road.

katatonic
05-24-2008, 09:10 PM
toronto needs to pass the ball well...i don't like balls flying all over the place!!!!

Toronto Ruffrider
05-24-2008, 09:13 PM
I blame our complacency for the loss tonight. Why did we let up whenever we were in the lead? We should have been going for the jugular throughout much of the first and second halves. By letting DC control possession in our own half, it was only a matter of time before defensive lapses cost us the lead and then the game. We need to play more authoritative football when we're ahead in a match.

Steve-Tor
05-24-2008, 09:13 PM
Okay what a shit game I mean totally SHIT. They were terrible tonight, maybe it was overconfidence but this wasn't the same TFC that went 3-0-2 at home only conceeding one goal.

One bright spot mate is we scored 2 goals.

At least we are well ahead of last year when goals were like hen's teeth:)

camcamy
05-24-2008, 09:15 PM
Montreal Game - I think Carver has to make some changes. This will be a good game to start Smith and see what he can do. He will satrt in place of Robert

Roberts red card doesn't apply to this game as it is Canada Cup. Really no need to rest him as he's going to miss the next game anyway.

Toronto Ruffrider
05-24-2008, 09:15 PM
toronto needs to pass the ball well...i don't like balls flying all over the place!!!!

QFT. We gave up way too much possession by just throwing the ball up the field all night. It's hard to develop any rhythm when your opponent always has the ball.

TFC Cityboy
05-24-2008, 09:16 PM
the big fellah was superb again and fully deserved his 2 goals...quality and a Shearer-style goal celebration for the 2nd.

Cashcleaner
05-24-2008, 09:17 PM
Robert was letting the DC players get under his skin and I wasn't at all surprised to see him sent off towards the end. You could really see the frustration on his face and it was definitely affecting his play.

Wynne's push on Quaranta was such a bone-head move as well. What was the guy thinking?! Not like him to make such an amateur mistake like that.

Those two stick out in my mind, but I'd also have to give credit to DC for playing a very offence-oriented game. They kept the pressure on and we simply couldn't counter.

giambac
05-24-2008, 09:19 PM
One bright spot mate is we scored 2 goals.

At least we are well ahead of last year when goals were like hen's teeth:)

I know we scored 2 goals and on most nights 2 goals will be enough. But we had no scoring chances tonight and that is my concern. Our midfield was totally, I mean totally outplayed and outclassed tonight. There was no build up of passes, no crisp passes, everything was soft and not on target.

maybe you just ahve to sum it up as one of those nights where everything goes wrong. each team will have 1 otr 2 of tahese during the season. we now have had 2 , both against DC United.

giambac
05-24-2008, 09:22 PM
Roberts red card doesn't apply to this game as it is Canada Cup. Really no need to rest him as he's going to miss the next game anyway.

Okay that's better. Start Smith in place of a useless RR.
I think RR is quickly finding out that the MLS isn't as easy as he may have thought. I think Carver is losing patience with him. How else can you explain why Carver took RR out again when it was obvious that Edu and Robert were also struggling and Robert had the yellow.

Limani_Ole
05-24-2008, 09:23 PM
No outlet to relief the pressure..
We played much better with Smith and Cunny on the field.. streaching DC..

did Guevara try to punch that guy? Robert needs to chill out..

I can only imagine what these guys will do if we get into a slump or something.. bench brawl comes to mind..

kdzb
05-24-2008, 09:25 PM
For Robert's red card, I blame Carver cuz Robert was due to be replaced at the 75th minute, he looked very agressive and you can tell that was coming.
For the Penalty, It's a no brainer. Very poor decision from Wynne but the kid is still learning and I'm sure you will not see him doing that ever again.
The third goal, honestly, It's Sutton fault. He should either punched that ball or caught it but as an experienced GK with a good vision of your territory, you should not trust your defence in collecting a rebound all the time.

giambac
05-24-2008, 09:27 PM
No outlet to relief the pressure..
We played much better with Smith and Cunny on the field.. streaching DC..

did Guevara try to punch that guy? Robert needs to chill out..

I can only imagine what these guys will do if we get into a slump or something.. bench brawl comes to mind..

We were warned about both Robert and Guevera. when things are going well these 2 guys will look super. However when things aren't going their way they could and will lose their temper. It was quite obvious that Robert was frustrated tonight and you could see him being ejected. It was a tolatal selfish move which will effect the taem against La next saturday. and yes, it looke dlike Guevera did try and through a puch at the DC player. I must say the DC player did over react however. Some refs may have called it.

Cashcleaner
05-24-2008, 09:28 PM
^ Yes, Guevara certainly looked like he was taking a swipe at MacTavish (I think that's who it was). Robert seriously needs to chill and direct his anger elsewhere. I agree that Carver should have subbed him out before he crossed the line.

Ricketts certainly didn't look all that bad to me though. He showed some good energy.

tfctillidie
05-24-2008, 09:29 PM
DC just wanted it more than us tonight...you can tell with the way they were playing, winning every loose ball...they badly needed a win, and they deserved it

kdzb
05-24-2008, 09:32 PM
DC just wanted it more than us tonight...you can tell with the way they were playing, winning every loose ball...they badly needed a win, and they deserved it

Well said,
we looked too confident today and they wanted the win more than us.
We have to be hungrier for wins if we want to make it big in this league.

Toronto_Bhoy
05-24-2008, 09:34 PM
I'm impressed with the fact that this is the first thread Giambac has started without shitting all over Dichio!:p

Seriously, I thought a tie would have been fair...the turning point was the penalty and Wynne will know that...

Bars92
05-24-2008, 09:36 PM
Well said,
we looked too confident today and they wanted the win more than us.
We have to be hungrier for wins if we want to make it big in this league.

I think there was a severe lack of confidence tonight, we had no possesion most of the game, like the players lost trust in each other. Oh well, it takes time to build a team and team chemistry. Entertaining game.

giambac
05-24-2008, 09:37 PM
^ Yes, Guevara certainly looked like he was taking a swipe at MacTavish (I think that's who it was). Robert seriously needs to chill and direct his anger elsewhere. I agree that Carver should have subbed him out before he crossed the line.

Ricketts certainly didn't look all that bad to me though. He showed some good energy.

Okay Cash Cleaner this is my point precisely.

Carver knew EDU and Robert were both struggling. Carver knew that Robert already ahd one yellow and was on the brink of getting another. His frustartion was evident all night. Why then did he take RR out. Someon give me a valid reason. If RR was doing okay why wasn't he left in. I know he isn't a goakl scorer and I don't want goals from him. I do however want him to get involved in the plays and create some chances and they weren't there. Also most of the DC united attacks were happening on the right side of the field tonight - his side, so he wasn't doing much helping out there either.

I'm not signalling only him out tonight because it was a terrible night for all players (except Dichio and Sutton) and a terrible night for Carver and his decision making. However, RR has to start bringing it some time. when ???

Toronto_Bhoy
05-24-2008, 09:37 PM

I noticed during the homestand Robert lash out o more than one occation...a touch more disipline is needed...

Cashcleaner
05-24-2008, 09:41 PM

Carver knew EDU and Robert were both struggling. Carver knew that Robert already ahd one yellow and was on the brink of getting another. His frustartion was evident all night. Why then did he take RR out. Someon give me a valid reason. If RR was doing okay why wasn't he left in. I know he isn't a goakl scorer and I don't want goals from him. I do however want him to get involved in the plays and create some chances and they weren't there. Also most of the DC united attacks were happening on the right side of the field tonight - his side, so he wasn't doing much helping out there either.

I'm not signalling only him out tonight because it was a terrible night for all players (except Dichio and Sutton) and a terrible night for Carver and his decision making. However, RR has to start bringing it some time. when ???

Your guess is as good as mine. :noidea:

I would have liked to see Ricketts play out the game as well.

giambac
05-24-2008, 09:42 PM
I'm impressed with the fact that this is the first thread Giambac has started without shitting all over Dichio!:p

Seriously, I thought a tie would have been fair...the turning point was the penalty and Wynne will know that...

No man I admired what Dichio did tonight. He was the only player tonight. I felt for the guy. All our defencence and midfiled were doing was kicking the ball upfield and it was poor Dichio by himself most of the night. He at least gave us a chance for the win or tie.

Tonight summary

DC United 3
Dichio and Sutton 2

It was like 11 vs 2 players tonight.

denime
05-24-2008, 09:46 PM
SO true.we can blame whole team if we want it doesn't matter now.DC wanted and needed this win more than us.
BTW Did I mention that WYNNE is idiot,who can only run,but not play soccer.

Toronto_Bhoy
05-24-2008, 09:47 PM
Just riding you Giambac...cheap shot dude...

Bars92
05-24-2008, 09:49 PM
Word. Wynne is hopeless. On the positive side, someone that knows how to play, Tebily is gonna be a good player for us.

noochie
05-24-2008, 09:52 PM
The lack of playing the ball on the ground from the start was shocking. They need to establish the ground game and stop spraying the ball around like panties at an Englebert Humperdink concert. That goes for Sutton too, who constantly tries to pick out Dichio from within a swarm of black shirts. After the first 8 or 9 times... it gets really really old.

Carver needed to make changes early... with all the arms in the air and players slamming balls into the ad boards, it was time way earlier. I truly hope this is not a step back for the lads, they had been playing so tight until tonight. I am willing to write one off. I am excited that they are back in action so quickly on Tuesday night.

trane
05-24-2008, 09:52 PM
This was a team loss, we were taking it to easy. I am all for sittinh back and defending, but if you are going to do that you need, to start from the midfield in, and not waite untill they are 10 yards from you own goals, you also must keep posession. We took it to easy, and they made us pay for it. Your assessment of RIcketts is way off, you simply do not like him. He played not better or worse then any other mid, when they played the played well, but for the most part they took it easy, and United them pay. I fucking hate lossing in this league.

trane
05-24-2008, 09:54 PM
Wynne needs to learn how to be a better positional defender, and also to be physical without sticking his hands out.

Alarius
05-24-2008, 09:54 PM
I said this before; DC are no push overs, and we have to improve our attack.

But regardless of the small blunders by certain players, I thought they did well given the pressure they were on. They need to practice keeping possession against pressure, clearing to the opposition isn't a good tactic.

Sutton was fantastic, that final goal was a scorcher, not many can hang on to the ball moving like that.

But the biggest bonehead of the game was Carver... terrible tactics, trying to keep Dichio in and absorb all that pressure when we had the lead..
If we had subbed in Cunny for Dichio, Smith for Robert just 10 Minutes before, we would have forced them to pull back. Even my friend who was watching the game beside me, and not a huge football follower asked me why were weren't brining in a faster forward. The DC defense were starting to tire.
As for Robert, he was frustrated, but he did us no favors by losing his cool. He should be benched and Smith given the start.

VPjr
05-24-2008, 09:58 PM
Soccer is team game. They all stunk. Sutton and Dichio were bright spots but not glowing. Danny scored 2 goals which is fantastic (I was really impressed with goal #2...that's a professional goal) but he looked a bit tired other than those 2 brilliant moments and wasn't moving much. Sutton made good saves but he did spill the shot that resulted in the 3rd goal and his kicking game (never his strength) was a little more off tonight than usual.

All in all, not a good game. We looked like TFC of old (and i don't mean the TFC of the 6 game unbeaten streak).

let's hope they get their acts together in Montreal and have confidence for the big game against LA on Saturday.

giambac
05-24-2008, 10:00 PM
I said this before; DC are no push overs, and we have to improve our attack.

But regardless of the small blunders by certain players, I thought they did well given the pressure they were on. They need to practice keeping possession against pressure, clearing to the opposition isn't a good tactic.

Sutton was fantastic, that final goal was a scorcher, not many can hang on to the ball moving like that.

But the biggest bonehead of the game was Carver... terrible tactics, trying to keep Dichio in and absorb all that pressure when we had the lead..
If we had subbed in Cunny for Dichio, Smith for Robert just 10 Minutes before, we would have forced them to pull back. Even my friend who was watching the game beside me, and not a huge football follower asked me why were weren't brining in a faster forward. The DC defense were starting to tire.
As for Robert, he was frustrated, but he did us no favors by losing his cool. He should be benched and Smith given the start.

Agreed,

For all the good Carver has done this year, I think today he is the dink of the day.
You can chalk up this loss to his bad decison making an dfor not having the players ready. I hope at leats he reads them the riot act on the plane home.

I really feel sorry for those die hard TFC fans who made vthe trek down to washington for the game. They deserved better.

VPjr
05-24-2008, 10:01 PM
Wynne needs to learn how to be a better positional defender, and also to be physical without sticking his hands out.

Honestly, Wynne has been incredibly good this season. He is the team's most improved player and is probably the #2 right back in MLS right now (behind Hejduk of Columbus). He just lost his mind/composure for a split second and it cost us. he knows that he made a very bad decision. I'm sure we wont see a repeat.

Wynne is our most improved player in my mind. If I had one complaint, he's a terrible crosser of the ball. I'll never understand how a guy can be a wing back and not be able to cross. :noidea:

giambac
05-24-2008, 10:02 PM
The lack of playing the ball on the ground from the start was shocking. They need to establish the ground game and stop spraying the ball around like panties at an Englebert Humperdink concert. That goes for Sutton too, who constantly tries to pick out Dichio from within a swarm of black shirts. After the first 8 or 9 times... it gets really really old.

Carver needed to make changes early... with all the arms in the air and players slamming balls into the ad boards, it was time way earlier. I truly hope this is not a step back for the lads, they had been playing so tight until tonight. I am willing to write one off. I am excited that they are back in action so quickly on Tuesday night.

Yes after a bad and disapponting loss like tonight you want to get right back ou there. They won't have much time to dwell on it and a good performance on Tuesday vs Montreal may get them back on track for the LA game.

giambac
05-24-2008, 10:03 PM
This was a team loss, we were taking it to easy. I am all for sittinh back and defending, but if you are going to do that you need, to start from the midfield in, and not waite untill they are 10 yards from you own goals, you also must keep posession. We took it to easy, and they made us pay for it. Your assessment of RIcketts is way off, you simply do not like him. He played not better or worse then any other mid, when they played the played well, but for the most part they took it easy, and United them pay. I fucking hate lossing in this league.

Why was he taken out. Was it a bad decison by Carver?

Alarius
05-24-2008, 10:05 PM
Does anyone here agree that we should take this loss, stop talking about it .. and move on to the next game? I see what.. 3 posts regarding this game already..

jloome

Hey everybody, it's Giambac trying to disguise yet another anti-Rohan Ricketts thread as a meaningful discussion!

Fuck, you're transparent.

We lost tonight because we were outworked and outthought. We looked like a team that hadn't lost in six and we played like we thought we couldn't lose. The third goal was a bad muff by Sutton.

The defense spent the entire night hoofing the ball away instead oflinking through Robinson and Edu. It was just a bad performance. However, I'm sure you'll happily elucidate on how this entire performance was Ricketts fault.

Douche bag.

Alarius

The only reason it was a bad decision by Carver was because, it should have been Robert stepping out..

camcamy
05-24-2008, 10:06 PM
Word. Wynne is hopeless. On the positive side, someone that knows how to play, Tebily is gonna be a good player for us.

Agreed on Tebily, looks solid on the defensive end.

About wynne, yes, he made a very amateur mistake tonight which turned the game around and gave DC the tying goal. However, I don't remember any goals conceited by us this yea rthat wynne was directly responsible for so i dont get how you can say he's HOPELESS. The man has been one of our most consistent plays this year and he is fully aware of his mistake. It probably wont happen again Carver will make sure of it.

Toronto_Bhoy
05-24-2008, 10:07 PM

Marvell is able to make up many of his shortcomings with pace but it's difficult to do so in the box and in close quarters.

Trane is right...better positional play will help...he's still learning...

jloome
05-24-2008, 10:08 PM
The only reason it was a bad decision by Carver was because, it should have been Robert stepping out..

Agreed. Robert was getting mauled all night and couldn't buy a call and was a powder keg ready to blow by about the 65th minute. But once we'd gone down, Carver probably thought we couldn't afford to lose his potential to pull out a goal.

Cashcleaner
05-24-2008, 10:08 PM
Ya know, as much as I like Carver I think I agree with you regarding in-game changes. His subs have been coming in just a little too late for my liking. It's not that he's making bad decisions (though I agree Ricketts should have stayed in for the whole 90 minutes tonight), but rather he's making them too late in the game to have the effect he's wanting.

giambac
05-24-2008, 10:11 PM
Hey everybody, it's Giambac trying to disguise yet another anti-Rohan Ricketts thread as a meaningful discussion!

Fuck, you're transparent.

We lost tonight because we were outworked and outthought. We looked like a team that hadn't lost in six and we played like we thought we couldn't lose. The third goal was a bad muff by Sutton.

The defense spent the entire night hoofing the ball away instead oflinking through Robinson and Edu. It was just a bad performance. However, I'm sure you'll happily elucidate on how this entire performance was Ricketts fault.

Douche bag.

Why do you always seem to avoid answering the question???

Why did Carver take out RR instaed of Robert knowing that Robert was hurt, frustratrede and already ahd a yellow. why did Carver take out RR whe nEdu was playing like shit.

Does that not tell you something. I think Carver knows more about the team and his palyers tahn you, I and the rest of the people on this forum.

why do you always avoid answering the question. because you are clue less and don't unsersatnd the game. Your response is to call me a douche bag because of my opinion for which you can't even provide an answer to.

Buddy it's past your bedtime.

coisty1966
05-24-2008, 10:18 PM
just one of those games.....bounces didnt go their way, totally dominated by DC in the midfield, back line looked shaky clearing balls, goalkeeping was just bad.....plus they went on the road against a team totally desperate for a result. we are going to have these types of games every now and again...the important thing is how they bounce back from it....that being said,what is with Ricketts?....havent been impressed at all with him..he's just non existent.....speed to burn but doesnt use it to take on defenders what so ever....justs holds the ball up and doesnt even put in crosses....Smith is all effort..runs at defenders and gets in dangerous positions....he should start in place of RR, no question about it.....

giambac
05-24-2008, 10:20 PM
just one of those games.....bounces didnt go their way, totally dominated by DC in the midfield, back line looked shaky clearing balls, goalkeeping was just bad.....plus they went on the road against a team totally desperate for a result. we are going to have these types of games every now and again...the important thing is how they bounce back from it....that being said,what is with Ricketts?....havent been impressed at all with him..he's just non existent.....speed to burn but doesnt use it to take on defenders what so ever....justs holds the ball up and doesnt even put in crosses....Smith is all effort..runs at defenders and gets in dangerous positions....he should start in place of RR, no question about it.....

Jloome,

Not everyoone is a jackass like you.

Cashcleaner
05-24-2008, 10:23 PM
I still don't think Ricketts is deserving of all the blame he tends to get, but I will totally agree that Smith is really shaping up to be a contender with this team. I can't comment on whether or not he should be stating, but he's certainly coming in as a very strong sub.

reggie
05-24-2008, 10:24 PM
i missed the game tonight, just saw the highlights...
dc 3rd goal was brutal...sutton looked like a schoolboy on that play....

jloome
05-24-2008, 10:26 PM
[/b]

Jloome,

Not everyoone is a jackass like you.

It's 'everyone', Giambac. And take your time before flaming back; I'm sure you can come up with something a bit more prosaic than that.

Oh, sorry:

Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1) (http://dictionary.reference.com/help/luna.html) - Cite This Source (http://dictionary.reference.com/cite.html?qh=Prosaic&ia=luna) - Share This (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/Prosaic?r=14#sharethis) pro·sa·ic http://cache.lexico.com/dictionary/graphics/luna/thinsp.png http://cache.lexico.com/g/d/speaker.gif (http://dictionary.reference.com/audio.html/lunaWAV/P08/P0842700) Audio Help (http://dictionary.reference.com/help/audio.html) /proʊˈzeɪhttp://cache.lexico.com/dictionary/graphics/luna/thinsp.pngɪk/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[proh-zey-ik] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation –adjective 1.commonplace or dull; matter-of-fact or unimaginative: a prosaic mind. 2.of or having the character or form of prose rather than poetry.
Also, pro·sa·i·cal.

[Origin: 1650–60; LL prōsaicus. See prose (http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=prose), -ic (http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=-ic)http://cache.lexico.com/dictionary/graphics/luna/thinsp.png]

—Related formspro·sa·i·cal·ly, adverb

giambac
05-24-2008, 10:28 PM
It's 'everyone', Giambac. And take your time before flaming back; I'm sure you can come up with something a bit more prosaic than that.

Oh, sorry:

Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1) (http://dictionary.reference.com/help/luna.html) - Cite This Source (http://dictionary.reference.com/cite.html?qh=Prosaic&ia=luna) - Share This (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/Prosaic?r=14#sharethis) pro·sa·ic http://cache.lexico.com/dictionary/graphics/luna/thinsp.png http://cache.lexico.com/g/d/speaker.gif (http://dictionary.reference.com/audio.html/lunaWAV/P08/P0842700) Audio Help (http://dictionary.reference.com/help/audio.html) /proʊˈzeɪhttp://cache.lexico.com/dictionary/graphics/luna/thinsp.pngɪk/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[proh-zey-ik] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation –adjective 1.commonplace or dull; matter-of-fact or unimaginative: a prosaic mind. 2.of or having the character or form of prose rather than poetry.
Also, pro·sa·i·cal.

[Origin: 1650–60; LL prōsaicus. See prose (http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=prose), -ic (http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=-ic)http://cache.lexico.com/dictionary/graphics/luna/thinsp.png]

—Related formspro·sa·i·cal·ly, adverb

You still ahven't answered the quaetion.. No answer???

colman1860
05-24-2008, 10:33 PM
Word. Wynne is hopeless.

Time for somebody to go to bed...never read such an idiotic statement on here and thats saying something.

coisty1966
05-24-2008, 10:36 PM
gotta say that Gallardo being in top form tonight didnt help us either....that guy was fantastic! its like he had the ball on a string....held onto it in traffic with ease and just created chances all night...i think our midfield gave him way too much time on the ball...a few hard tackles as soon as he touched the ball might have served us well

Pachuco
05-24-2008, 10:37 PM
Here we go. Let's just shit on Wynne now. yeah one bone head move and we forget how damn good he's been all season. WE LOST BECAUSE OF OUR MIDFIELD TODAY. wake up and realize that we had 0 ball possession and our defense was put under extreme pressure the entire game.

coisty1966
05-24-2008, 10:38 PM
Time for somebody to go to bed...never read such an idiotic statement on here and thats saying something.

i didnt get that one when i read it either!

colman1860
05-24-2008, 10:43 PM
Honestly, Wynne has been incredibly good this season. He is the team's most improved player and is probably the #2 right back in MLS right now (behind Hejduk of Columbus). He just lost his mind/composure for a split second and it cost us. he knows that he made a very bad decision. I'm sure we wont see a repeat.

Wynne is our most improved player in my mind. If I had one complaint, he's a terrible crosser of the ball. I'll never understand how a guy can be a wing back and not be able to cross. :noidea:

Didn't continue reading the thread before ripping that guy who said wynne is hopeless. Very good analysis by you two - I absolutely love Marvell, and never really considered his crossing, but its true...i cant remember ever seeing a nice cross from him (in contrast to jimmy b tonight). I was at the washroom during the penalty so i cant comment on it - from what im reading on here it was a stupid mistake which is not likely to happen today. Marvell is a beast. He's allowed one mistake.

One other thing - and I may take some ripping for this. I know we were under huge pressure all game, but mostly DC just missed chances by missing the net or shooting weekly directly at Sutton. I was one of the few who were very confident in Greg before the season and I absolutely love his play so far this year, but I wasnt so impressed tonight. DC's big chance in the first half was a shot right at him for which he let out a big rebound. On their first goal he began to come out on the cross, then hesitated, and was out of position as the ball came through the 6 yard box to perralta. Yes, Dichio loses the original header and somebody was asleep and wasnt following Perralta, but one could definitely ask for better positioning from Greg. Second goal isn't his fault as it's a penalty. Third was a stinker. Also, rebound control was shaky throughout the night (thinking of DC's goal that was called back on offside, as well as two chances in the first half where shots were right at him but he didnt try to catch them). No real point to that long speel - I love the big man and would never even think about suggesting that Edwards should play instead of him, as he's played an outstanding season so far. I just dont really agree with those that say he was the only one who kept us in it tonight (along with Dichio).

giambac
05-24-2008, 10:44 PM
Here we go. Let's just shit on Wynne now. yeah one bone head move and we forget how damn good he's been all season. WE LOST BECAUSE OF OUR MIDFIELD TODAY. wake up and realize that we had 0 ball possession and our defense was put under extreme pressure the entire game.

WellPachuco,

this may be the first. But your analysis is bang on.

Wynn has been by far our best player this year. anyone who disputes this is on crack., Sure it was a dumb ass move that caused the second goal. However, he will learn from his mistake. He wasn't the reason for the loss.

As you said our midfield was outclassed tonight. Without looking at the stats I think DC united must have had close to 70% ball control. they controlled the midfield tonight.

katatonic
05-24-2008, 10:46 PM
http://img156.imageshack.us/img156/4215/picture1vf1.png

colman1860
05-24-2008, 10:47 PM
WellPachuco,

Wynn has been by far our best player this year. anyone who disputes this is on crack., Sure it was a dumb ass move that caused the second goal. However, he will learn from his mistake. He wasn't the reason for the loss.

As you said our midfield was outclassed tonight. Without looking at the stats I think DC united must have had close to 70% ball control. they controlled the midfield tonight.

QFFT. The worst thing about this loss is the red card to Robert. Dumbest move in history (whatever he did - didnt see a replay). There were 20 left in the game, and he took himself out for another 90 (again, depending on what he did it could be more). Was it a straight red or a second yellow?

giambac
05-24-2008, 10:48 PM
http://img156.imageshack.us/img156/4215/picture1vf1.png

That sums it up!

colman1860
05-24-2008, 10:49 PM
I'd love to see some possesion stats - giambac's estimate of 70% sounds generous to us. Too bad (or good, i guess) that mlsnet doesnt have em

noochie
05-24-2008, 11:00 PM
QFFT. The worst thing about this loss is the red card to Robert. Dumbest move in history (whatever he did - didnt see a replay). There were 20 left in the game, and he took himself out for another 90 (again, depending on what he did it could be more). Was it a straight red or a second yellow?

Straight Red. Carver should have pulled him off. This squad is better off with him in it. Ah well... perhaps Ricketts plays on the Left next game and Smith gets a start, I want more Smith!

colman1860
05-24-2008, 11:04 PM
mlsnet article:

Spotting his linesman's raised flag, Gonzalez trotted over and conferred briefly before brandishing a red card in Robert's direction, apparently for a serious foul somewhere in the goalmouth turmoil.

however, match report:

TOR -- Laurent Robert (ejection; Abusive Language) 95+

colman1860
05-24-2008, 11:05 PM
both would likely lead to several games, no?

noochie
05-24-2008, 11:10 PM
both would likely lead to several games, no?

It is still 1 game guaranteed... pending league review could be up to 3.

colman1860
05-24-2008, 11:12 PM
ya...what i was saying is that both serious fouls (i read this as off the ball and hidding from the referee) and abusive language to the referee would lead to several games. abusive language to other players...didnt Goldwaithe get sent off for one of these last year? How many games was that? And how many did Dichio get for his fight against Chicago on May 12th, 2007? I dont really know how strict MLS usually is...

noochie
05-24-2008, 11:19 PM
I guess we will find out from the league review. I don't think this warrants any more than a single game (language that is... the actual reason for the ejection). If you look at some of the more serious fouls like Marshall on Cooper and Serioux on Beckham, that is seeimgly the bar for getting 3+ games.

SS TFC
05-24-2008, 11:26 PM
I thought that Wynne look off tonight. I felt that we rush things. Only managed to put a few pass together at a time.

We will have a good win in Montreal and get back on the right track!

SS TFC
05-24-2008, 11:28 PM
he won't be out for more then a game but do league ejections count in the Canada cup? Will he be traveling with the team to Montreal?

nfitz
05-24-2008, 11:29 PM
Spotting his linesman's raised flag, Gonzalez trotted over and conferred briefly before brandishing a red card in Robert's direction, apparently for a serious foul somewhere in the goalmouth turmoil.Well, clearly that's not correct, as Robert took the corner, and never came anywhere near another player before the linesman card went up. Robert was only near the linesman - who knows what foul word he mouthed. I'm surprised the linesman would even be able to tell the difference between a French expletive, and simply an expression, so I can only assume he said something to the linesman in English.

noochie
05-24-2008, 11:32 PM
he won't be out for more then a game but do league ejections count in the Canada cup? Will he be traveling with the team to Montreal?

He should be there for Montreal. He will miss the LA game at least.

ua-kozak_TFC
05-24-2008, 11:38 PM
Ya know, as much as I like Carver I think I agree with you regarding in-game changes. His subs have been coming in just a little too late for my liking. It's not that he's making bad decisions (though I agree Ricketts should have stayed in for the whole 90 minutes tonight), but rather he's making them too late in the game to have the effect he's wanting.
are you kidding? he did NOTHING!!! he was rightly subbed.
The problem is that you can;t really lame carver on the changes... to turn this game around you;d need about 5 subs alowed and not 3...
marshall needed to be taken out cause of injury.. Dichio was tired and not producing for a faster cunny was a right moe as was rickets for smyth.. because he did not do a thing today... to turn the game aroun they should ahve subbed out edu and robert...

koryo
05-25-2008, 12:00 AM
Let me get this straight: we lose (by one) for the first time in seven games and suddenly the knives come out for Robert and Guevara, and whoever else...

honestly.

Cashcleaner
05-25-2008, 12:05 AM
^ QFT. DC played a great game and were able to capitalise on our mistakes. They played an aggressive, attacking game and we just couldn't hold them off.

The world is not ending. And if I see someone calling for Carver's head, they'd better start running.

Bad result, but we were outplayed tonight. Simple as that. Let's regroup and look towards LA now.

Laurignano
05-25-2008, 12:10 AM
He should be there for Montreal. He will miss the LA game at least.

I think he might miss the montreal game.

Smuttynose
05-25-2008, 12:27 AM
Let me get this straight: we lose (by one) for the first time in seven games and suddenly the knives come out for Robert and Guevara, and whoever else...

honestly.

couldn't agree more! i unfortunately didn't get to see the game, but seriously, 1 loss in 7 games and people are going CRAZY! chalk it up to a learning experience and move on... :rolleyes:

Laurignano
05-25-2008, 12:36 AM
its more aobut how we lost too. I mean we blew that game big time.

Draracle
05-25-2008, 12:53 AM
It was a tough game, I knew DCU would be very strong this game. They kept us off our game most of the night, tons of pressure, and some lucky breaks.

They deserved the win. Hopefully this will be a spur in our side to play better.

GBV
05-25-2008, 05:54 AM
^ QFT. DC played a great game and were able to capitalise on our mistakes. They played an aggressive, attacking game and we just couldn't hold them off.

The world is not ending. And if I see someone calling for Carver's head, they'd better start running.

Bad result, but we were outplayed tonight. Simple as that. Let's regroup and look towards LA now.

it looked like some of it was self-inflicted though.
just like wednesday, it looked like they were vying for a 1-0 win.
unfortunately, soccer is such that it is possible to play 11 deep to preserve a 1-0 lead for an hour-plus. i just think the strategy stinks and if you get burned well, then, you deserve to.
at least this is what it looked like from the cheap seats.

Kooper
05-25-2008, 07:03 AM

Right on. I am so tired of all the whining after a single loss. Everyone let's face facts. Toronto will lose again. This year will not be like last year and along with the 6 game winning streaks I can guarantee that there will be a 2 or 3 game losing streak. It doesn't mean that Carver is an idiot, no he should not be fired. The players do care about the team and they do want to win, they just had an off night.

giambac
05-25-2008, 07:28 AM
minutes if not more.ll, clearly that's not correct, as Robert took the corner, and never came anywhere near another player before the linesman card went up. Robert was only near the linesman - who knows what foul word he mouthed. I'm surprised the linesman would even be able to tell the difference between a French expletive, and simply an expression, so I can only assume he said something to the linesman in English.[/quote]

I think he told the linesman " Voulez Vous couchez avec moi" and the linesman go either offended or turned on. Maybe he wanted to send Robert off for a quick shower for an early start to the night.

With 20 seconds left inthe game Robert has forfeited at least the next 90 minutes. Selfish.

giambac
05-25-2008, 07:32 AM
18392]Let me get this straight: we lose (by one) for the first time in seven games and suddenly the knives come out for Robert and Guevara, and whoever else...

honestly.[/quote]

It's not the loss that hurts. We aren't going to win every game. It's just they way they played (or didn't play) that makes it hurt.

It was a collective team stinker. No one was into the game. All I ask for is an honest .All I ask for is an honest 90+ minute effort. Ean your paycheque.

trane
05-25-2008, 07:36 AM

He has been taken out every game since he came here, to give Smith playing time. Carver is doing it because he wants both of them to develop. They are both young, and need to develop. They represent the future for TFC.

giambac
05-25-2008, 07:51 AM
He has been taken out every game since he came here, to give Smith playing time. Carver is doing it because he wants both of them to develop. They are both young, and need to develop. They represent the future for TFC.

Trane,

I realize that. However, that is the simple answer. Look at his decision and why wouldn't he leave RR in and take out either Edu or Robert. Both were having atough night. Robert had the hot temper and evreyone knew he was going to blow a fuse. If Craver had more confidence in RR he could have loked at taking out either Edu or Robert instaed which seemed more logical on the night. That's why I think Carver doesn't have as much confidence in some of his players as people think he does.

RealG-TFC
05-25-2008, 08:18 AM
I guess it's better this way than if it were another team that beat us. I it was like New England or something, they wouldgo ahead of us in the standins, DC is only at 9.

pimpslapt
05-25-2008, 08:41 AM
fuck it, i hope last night was a one off, we didn't change our tactics and we needed to, that to some extent is carver's fault, but i'm not gonna turn on the guy after one performance, he's been brilliant and spot on thus far, i have faith he'll sort it out, losing was a team effort tonight, and everyone need to accept the blame, we'll regroup, up the reds

Detroit_TFC
05-25-2008, 08:42 AM
DC had a lot riding on that game and due to the return of Fred, was better able to achieve a win.

After a sleep I'm still pissed off about the result but I can see some positives from the match. Dichio's goals were solid field efforts, not a blooper due to a defensive error like the first DCU game. As for DCU's goals 2 of the 3, maybe all three, were due to our errors, not superior DC play. The scoreline should have been 2-1 TFC.

I am worried that we can go from really tight one-touch passing to kicking every thing down field like the old days in the course of a week. Falling back on bad habits may shows a lack of mental toughness. Considering we've got a lot of away games coming up due to this crazy schedule, this needs addressed.

canadian_bhoy
05-25-2008, 08:56 AM
I think you guys are missing the bigger picture here.
The game was played in DC...what else is in DC? The GOVERNMENT of the United States.
Obviously the neo-cons and the illuminati are responsible for TFC's loss last night. I heard they planned it at bohemian grove last summer.

It all makes sense now!

Fort York Redcoat
05-25-2008, 09:37 AM
Pretty surprised at the level of disapointment in this thread. we scored twice and snacked on their weak defense with one guy up front with not many more chances than the scoreline.
As for the substitutions I can see that Carver expected better from Robert and Guevara and they went off the boil. we have heard to expect this when things are going sour for the team. Robert ALMOST made it the whole game and I'm sure Carver was as surprised as the rest of us when Robert was sent off.
Wnne's mistake was surprising even though the man in black made a meal of it Marvell knows better than inviting calls in the box. DC had our M.O. all game. Shut down the wings and retain posession for their not too terrible guys up front.
It was a deserved win. Our team needs more work and another player but I think we have some key ingrediants to make a run for the league this year.

RealG-TFC
05-25-2008, 09:53 AM
Pretty surprised at the level of disapointment in this thread. we scored twice and snacked on their weak defense with one guy up front with not many more chances than the scoreline.
As for the substitutions I can see that Carver expected better from Robert and Guevara and they went off the boil. we have heard to expect this when things are going sour for the team. Robert ALMOST made it the whole game and I'm sure Carver was as surprised as the rest of us when Robert was sent off.
Wnne's mistake was surprising even though the man in black made a meal of it Marvell knows better than inviting calls in the box. DC had our M.O. all game. Shut down the wings and retain posession for their not too terrible guys up front.
It was a deserved win. Our team needs more work and another player but I think we have some key ingrediants to make a run for the league this year.

You can't understand the disappointment?

We were winning and then that changed in 90 seconds. Another reason is that we were playing for a 1-0 game. I'm sorry but when there's 77 minutes in the game, you really should go for more. It's almost like they're afraid of attacking.

mighty_torontofc_2008
05-25-2008, 10:02 AM

Wynne is one of of our better defenders, yes he made a bad judgement on the penalty, but he will learn from it.... Tebily will be a stong addition.

Billy the kid
05-25-2008, 10:18 AM
Can't pin blame on anyone person. They were outplayed badly for almost the whole game and by all rights should not have been winning at half. They had trouble relieving pressure from the outset. Having said that, DC is talented and was desperate for the win.

dupont
05-25-2008, 10:31 AM
We were outplayed the entire match. The shots tell the story of what I was watching. Dichio was the only player that was really inspiring to watch last night.

Nuvinho
05-25-2008, 10:42 AM
I refuse to blame Wynne or Sutton. Yes, those 2 mistakes led to goals, but how many goals have both of theses guys prevented in the past.

It was a bad game, Toronto looked bad in the 1st half, yet got out with a lead. In the 2nd half they played better, but that's how the MLS is, momentum can change very fast.

We gotta stop with this "one day goat, next day hero" thing.

Let's see what happens next Saturday, as we are playing the LEADERS of the West, yes........LA in first?? hahaha!!!!

jloome
05-25-2008, 10:44 AM
WellPachuco,

Sort of agreed -- they hardly touched the ball, so they couldn't really hold it up. Biggest issue was that when we did strip the ball, there was no attempt to link up with edu and robinson to allow the rest of the team to move into advanced positions that would keep the movement going; so really, that's everyone's fault.

It was a bad team performance, plain and simple. I don't think you can look at any one area and say it was substantially worse than the others. No one marked Peralta on the first goal, Wynne shouldn't have put his hand anywhere near Quaranta's arm on the second goal and the third was both a bad rebound spill by Sutton and inertia in following in for the rebound by our guys. Hell, Emilio didn't even take off until after it had been hit and he was still first there -- and he's not known for blazing speed.

joel
05-25-2008, 11:38 AM
2 away goals, a team that was so due for a win. I'm not that worried. Robert shouldn't have taken the Red, Wynne got too aggressive in the box, but hey that's life.

Why do we have to 'blame' people? It's a team game, pointing fingers is something armchair coaches do, and it shows a lack of knowledge about the game.

Toronto was on their heels all game and held no possession, it was only a matter of time, yet you would blame the people that made the mistake that broke it open? It could have, and would have been, anyone on the field.

TFCREDNWHITE
05-25-2008, 11:43 AM
Here's the thing, Wynne is blamed for the loss...the reason is:

1) His stupid penalty turned everything around. and if i remember correctly that penalty call came in the 71st minute!!

2) Once Wynne made that stupid decision, it fucked everything up on the backline. We really really started to look disorganized, carver was in a bind with marshall being injured and having all these substitutions to make! I bet carver wished he had at least 2 more sub spots...

3) i really think that we could of held on for the next 20mins for the win, worst case would've been DC ties the game late in like the 88th min. thats why i blame wynne for a stupid mistake that cost us a goal, morale, tactics, and more!!

coisty1966
05-25-2008, 12:05 PM

1) His stupid penalty turned everything around. and if i remember correctly that penalty call came in the 71st minute!!

cant agree.....DC contolled possession and was threatening all night.....a goal was inevitable regardless

joel
05-25-2008, 12:23 PM

On that play they could have easily scored, just because it was sealed with a penalty doesn't mean the goal wouldn't have happened anyway. I'm just saying sure you can point the finger at him but they were going to score anyway on an upcoming play, they should have been ahead at that point already.

You make it sound like TFC had this game in the bag, and the penlty was totally against the run of play and ruined the game. Truth of the matter is DC had us pinned down almost all game, and it was our goals that were agianst the run of play.

The Professor
05-25-2008, 12:28 PM
Judging by the game photo on the TFC homepage, I'd argue we lost because we had a Team America puppet playing for us last night who looked a lot like Robert. Might explain the foul language too.

Broadview
05-25-2008, 12:40 PM
I blame DCU. They hogged the ball.

nfitz
05-25-2008, 12:46 PM
Here's the thing, Wynne is blamed for the loss...the reason is: ...Is there a need to assign blame? The team played quite poorly for the first half, with the defence and Sutton holding up well under quite a pounding. Given how much of the game was played in the box, it's inevitable after someone is going to make a mistake - and Quaranta seemed to look like he had a good shot on goal, so Wynne must have been somewhat desperate.

A mistake yes. But place blame? It's a miracle that Toronto were ahead 2-1 at the half - based on quality of play, DC deserved the win - and we still almost stole it!

Northern Soul
05-25-2008, 12:53 PM
Is there a need to assign blame? The team played quite poorly for the first half, with the defence and Sutton holding up well under quite a pounding. Given how much of the game was played in the box, it's inevitable after someone is going to make a mistake - and Quaranta seemed to look like he had a good shot on goal, so Wynne must have been somewhat desperate.

A mistake yes. But place blame? It's a miracle that Toronto were ahead 2-1 at the half - based on quality of play, DC deserved the win - and we still almost stole it!

One of the most sensible posts in this thread. I'm not happy about losing either. However, the amount of knee-jerk posts in this thread are unbelievable. "Wynne is shit, Ricketts is shit, Edu is shit." ENOUGH ALREADY! We lost, it happens. If half the people posting in this thread were managers, they'd have no team!

Keyman
05-25-2008, 12:56 PM
I think that I am to blame for the loss, everytime I miss a game... we lose.

Leprechaun
05-25-2008, 01:00 PM
I blame DCU. They hogged the ball.

hahahaha :D

RPB73
05-25-2008, 01:01 PM
Right on. I am so tired of all the whining after a single loss. Everyone let's face facts. Toronto will lose again. This year will not be like last year and along with the 6 game winning streaks I can guarantee that there will be a 2 or 3 game losing streak. It doesn't mean that Carver is an idiot, no he should not be fired. The players do care about the team and they do want to win, they just had an off night.

I don't believe that anyone is saying that Carver is an idiot or that he should be fired. As far as people speaking their minds that is what this is for. What is frustrating is that some people feel that you should never be negative. But let's face the fact they were shit tonight. They couldn't put 3 passes together ,their first touch was horrible and there was alot of standing around off the ball. There was nothing positive in this game. Even Dichio's goals the keeper was out of position and on the cross and the 2nd goal was a joke. I know they are going to lose ,everyone does but there is losing and than there is what happened last night.

giambac
05-25-2008, 01:10 PM
Sort of agreed -- they hardly touched the ball, so they couldn't really hold it up. Biggest issue was that when we did strip the ball, there was no attempt to link up with edu and robinson to allow the rest of the team to move into advanced positions that would keep the movement going; so really, that's everyone's fault.

It was a bad team performance, plain and simple. I don't think you can look at any one area and say it was substantially worse than the others. No one marked Peralta on the first goal, Wynne shouldn't have put his hand anywhere near Quaranta's arm on the second goal and the third was both a bad rebound spill by Sutton and inertia in following in for the rebound by our guys. Hell, Emilio didn't even take off until after it had been hit and he was still first there -- and he's not known for blazing speed.

Agreed,

We're on the same page with this LOL

Enjoy yhe rest of the weekend.

Well get Montreal on Tuesday in the CC game:canada:

TFCREDNWHITE
05-25-2008, 01:12 PM
I know that we were getting pinned back a lot...but, all i am saying is that i think we could of held on for 20 more minutes and took the win and at worst a tie...

ag futbol
05-25-2008, 02:00 PM
For me: the blame for this loss starts with one thing: tactics.

You can't bunker against a possession team with a one goal lead in the 14th minute and expect to hold the fort for the rest of the game. United looks the worst when they have to play defense, we didn't force them to do that at all. At the very least we need to be able to bring enough pressure to counter attack. Wasn't there.

The mistakes? ya they hurt, but our guys we're definately fatigued out there from defending so much.

This is one game though, I'm not going to read into this too much. Hopefully, we're not going to be that team that bunkers after they get a one goal lead on the road everytime.

ilikemusic
05-25-2008, 02:16 PM
I blame Danny Dichio for making this game seem so much closer than it was.

Detroit_TFC
05-25-2008, 03:17 PM
I blame Danny Dichio for making this game seem so much closer than it was.

LOL - good one
:D

Laurignano
05-25-2008, 03:31 PM
I know one thing is that it wasnt my fault so i aint going to lose sleep over it! lol

Stencils
05-25-2008, 03:38 PM
DC deserved the win out of that game. They played better than we did and the final score relfected it, no matter how they got them.

I DO think that Sutton has to work on holding on to the ball. He goes for a block a lot of the time when grabbing it/catching it might be better. I don't know if its a confidence thing or what. SOME shots you have to block. There's nothing else you can hope to do. But some you should be holding on to. And if you do have to block, work on your peripheral vision and presence in order to push the ball out of play or away from attacking players. Too often rebounds off Sutton go straight to opposing players.

If he can pick that part of his game up, we'll have a world class keeper.

Robert needed to be taken off at half. He wasn't helping and was getting too frustrated to be effective with the ball and with his teammates.

Stand out good performances in the game for me: Dichio (obvious), Robinson (probably the reason we didn't lose by more), Smith (changed the game when he was near or on the ball), and Tebily (a number of good touches on the ball, good debut).

ExiledRed
05-25-2008, 03:56 PM
It seems that Brennan can shoot up from the back line and deliver a pinpoint cross to Dichio's head.

Isn't that what Robert and Ricketts are supposed to do from the wings? instead of playing 'dribble this way. lose it that way and fall over making cow eyes at the ref'

Seriously, Jimmy and Dichio are on the same page, but what about the new talent?

The game was lost when Tyrone Marshall left the field.

Tebily was great, but Marshall had been covering the entire back line right until he got subbed.

BeachRed
05-25-2008, 03:56 PM
Robert was letting the DC players get under his skin and I wasn't at all surprised to see him sent off towards the end. You could really see the frustration on his face and it was definitely affecting his play.

What exactly was Robert's red card for? One report said something during the play in front of the net and one report said abusive language??

Derko
05-25-2008, 03:58 PM
Breaking News: ...'Even the best Football Teams in the world have a shitty game and lose'... Why does everyone want to 'Micro Manage' TFC? They had a shitty game and lost, It happens you know!! I was having a bad feeling about this game, I thought it would have ended a draw. TFC have had a good run, go back home and re-adjust. I guess that's what the coaches and players will be doing.
And that is my 'Objective' analysis of 'Who's(The Team) to blame for the loss'

scooter
05-25-2008, 03:59 PM
i understand everyone is pissed we lost i was too
but get over it lots of games left and danny scored two lovely goals
lets not get down on the players
keep it positive and look forward to tuesday

Alarius
05-25-2008, 04:00 PM
For all that is sane.. can we close this topic?

Derko
05-25-2008, 04:04 PM
i understand everyone is pissed we lost i was too
but get over it lots of games left and danny scored two lovely goals
lets not get down on the players
keep it positive and look forward to tuesday

That's what I was trying to say, in my own way.
Cheers

Blixa
05-25-2008, 04:13 PM
We lost. Case closed and it's time to move on and get ready for the next one.

nfitz
05-25-2008, 05:26 PM
What exactly was Robert's red card for? One report said something during the play in front of the net and one report said abusive language??Good question. Presumably abusive language. Watching on TV, you can see Robert take the kick, and then start walking along the line a bit, near the linesman, can't really see their heads, but they were close together for a few seconds, and Robert seems to pause, and continues to walk away ... and the linesman's arm goes up. Given that the linesman wasn't involved in the play, and if Robert was swearing after his kick (which seemed pretty good, Sutton almost scored off of it), I'd imagine an American linesman isn't going to understand a word of it, I can only assume he said something pretty unfortunate to the linesman. Particularly as he didn't seem to argue with the red card - so it would appear he knew he had crossed a line ... but I'm theorising here ...

TFC RealDeal RPB
05-25-2008, 05:39 PM
Did I mention that WYNNE is idiot,who can only run,but not play soccer.
Honestly, the ref was letting agressive play go alnight and that little push in the box shouldn't have been a penalty. Wynne has been arguably our best defender all year, and to me, he has the most heart on the team and never gives up on a ball.... So... That call was SHITE!!! :chillpill:

Canadian Blue
05-25-2008, 06:19 PM
The entire team is too blame for a very poor performance. In my opinion even Carver should shoulder some of the blame, from what we have seen this year Smith should be starting ahead of useless Ricketts.

Wynne, gave that penalty away when we were in very little danger and on the third goal Sutton should have caught the ball or at least punched it away......

BeachRed
05-25-2008, 07:14 PM
The entire team is too blame for a very poor performance. In my opinion even Carver should shoulder some of the blame, ...

Carver is still learning this league - and with the incredibly inconsistent officials, it's going to take a while. So much of this game seemed to be to put TFC in their place after Carver's supposed lack of respect for the refs.

Even the DC announcers were commenting on how in the first half every call went DC's way....

werewolf
05-25-2008, 07:26 PM
Sutton gives up rebounds routinely at RFK, I haven't noticed it much elsewhere, but at that particular stadium rebounds galore.

ag futbol
05-25-2008, 07:55 PM
You can't understand the disappointment?

We were winning and then that changed in 90 seconds. Another reason is that we were playing for a 1-0 game. I'm sorry but when there's 77 minutes in the game, you really should go for more. It's almost like they're afraid of attacking.
That's definately how i felt.

I think a few people are overreacting. Nobody is saying the team is fatally flawed, just that we had a few things happen and we ended up losing. It's just critism of how we performed in one game, not of our direction or anything.

Hooligan69
05-25-2008, 07:57 PM
I blame this loss on the CIA. It was a anti-Canadian conspiracy. Think about it. Seriously. :p

footyfan
05-25-2008, 08:19 PM
ever notice how quickly DC players get their work Visas approved? just sayin'

footyfan
05-25-2008, 08:20 PM
Sutton gives up rebounds routinely at RFK, I haven't noticed it much elsewhere, but at that particular stadium rebounds galore.

It's the noise factor. To be honest the only stadium in the league that gets that noisey is yours.

H Bomb
05-25-2008, 08:25 PM

No I haven't. Don't pay attention to your shit players. Next time you see Francis Doe tell him "He's Shit" from the boys at the reserve game.

Hooligan69
05-25-2008, 08:28 PM

No wonder you bastards have been so triumphant over the years. :rofl:

J .
05-25-2008, 10:09 PM
I think DC played more of what was expected of them and they were quite pumped for the game. It was going to be a tough one to win by any standard and I think we could have won it, but the penalty really was the turning point, if there is no penalty, I think we tie or maybe even win. I'd have to say DC won the game more than we lost it.

TFC Tifoso
05-25-2008, 10:15 PM
I refuse to blame Wynne or Sutton. Yes, those 2 mistakes led to goals, but how many goals have both of theses guys prevented in the past.

It was a bad game, Toronto looked bad in the 1st half, yet got out with a lead. In the 2nd half they played better, but that's how the MLS is, momentum can change very fast.

We gotta stop with this "one day goat, next day hero" thing.

Let's see what happens next Saturday, as we are playing the LEADERS of the West, yes........LA in first?? hahaha!!!!

QF motherfucking T...they played a bad game, big deal. TFC has taken points out of 6 straight and they will start it again on saturday against LA.

Hooligan69
05-25-2008, 10:36 PM
QF motherfucking T...they played a bad game, big deal. TFC has taken points out of 6 straight and they will start it again on saturday against LA.

Good thing it's a home game on Saturday...

TFC Tifoso
05-25-2008, 10:37 PM
Good thing it's a home game on Saturday...

No kidding, they've looked horrid on the road this year...that must change, no question.

kdzb
05-25-2008, 10:42 PM
At least we didn't lose 5-1 at home like NYRB did against ChitCago.
That was embarassing.

footyfan
05-25-2008, 11:00 PM
That was embarassing.

Oh the red bulls are?

Oh and it is Shitcago...

werewolf
05-25-2008, 11:43 PM
I just watched the mlsnet highlights, it could be title the Greg Sutton rebound reel. I feel like I was watching a Ray Emery compilation. I don't want to blame the loss on him, but he has got to work on that.

interesting how the highlights final clip was 2 seconds after the call for handball in stoppage time, I don't want to make claims of what the call should have been, but it would be nice to get a second look.

ilikemusic
05-26-2008, 12:03 AM
It really was nothing to be called.

It was a clearance by a DC player and it was most certainly ball to hand.

SarahV
05-26-2008, 08:55 AM
Sutton was definitely earning his paycheque on Saturday. MOTM for me.

The entire team is too blame for a very poor performance.

Out of all of this, I have to feel sorry for Dichio, who's two goals went absolutely to waste. Wake up you reds!

Roogsy
05-26-2008, 09:09 AM

I get upset with some of the comments on here from people who complain that there are people that didn't like certain aspects of the game. Guess what? They are doing the same in the TFC training room. We learn from our mistakes and it helps us watch out for weaknesses. Wynne's positioning is horrible, hopefully, those that know more than us (TFC coaches) will help him with that. Sutt's fat rebounds cost us at least one goal...I am sure he will watch for that in the next game. Our possession was shit...hopefully Carver spends some time with the players on how to react to pressure.

Unless these things are addressed, other teams will learn from the DC success and apply them to us in future games.

You mention that LA is next and our "streak" should continue. Well...don't be so sure...the Gals are scoring shitloads of goals and if we don't sort these things out, we are going to have to match them with our goal count...which is not something Toronto is normally able to do, am I wrong?

If we are to win against LA, we have to improve in several areas.

sidney
05-26-2008, 09:22 AM

I know Carver didn't want to change the starting lineup going into tonights game. Why change what has been working. Well he better make changes for the next game.

Who is to blame for tonights Loss

Sutton - looked shaky on the third goal. But give him a break. He was our best player again tonight and without him they would have lost by 3-4 goals. Yu have to feel for the guy. He gave it all tonight again

Wynn- dumb ass move to give up the penalty shot. what was he thinking?

Midfield - This was their worst gaae since game 2 which was also in DC. All of them didn't have their leags and their passes weren't crisp. Totally out of sync

Edu - what the fuck is up with this guy this year?

Robert - showing his frustartion by getting thrown out at the end of the game. This will hurt as he will have to miss at least the next game. Total SELFISH Move

Carver- Why did he wait so long to make his changes. He should have made them when they were up 2-1. He could have taken Robert given that he already ahd a yellow and it was quite obvious that he was frustrated out there and you could have seen the 2nd yellow was going to happen.

Ricketts - What the hell is up with this guy? Is he ever going to show up for a match. It tells you alot when the coach pulled himout in the second halff. Coach Carver knew that Robert already had a yellow card and was at risk of getting a second yellow. Also Robert wasn't having a good game and looked like he was injured, The natural choice was Robert. Yet Carver knowing all this took RR out because once again he wasn't performing. He sure wasn't doing anything on the offence side and most of the attcks by Dc were on his right side. He shouldn't be starting next game yet probaly will by default given Roberts situation. RR blew another 4 on 2 opportunity in the first half.

The only positive thing about tonights loss is that it may bring this team back down to earth. It's a long season and maybe a loss tonight will show them that they can't take any games lightly, especially on the road.

well-said/well-analyzed.

trane
05-26-2008, 10:51 AM
I get upset with some of the comments on here from people who complain that there are people that didn't like certain aspects of the game. Guess what? They are doing the same in the TFC training room. We learn from our mistakes and it helps us watch out for weaknesses. Wynne's positioning is horrible, hopefully, those that know more than us (TFC coaches) will help him with that. Sutt's fat rebounds cost us at least one goal...I am sure he will watch for that in the next game. Our possession was shit...hopefully Carver spends some time with the players on how to react to pressure.

Unless these things are addressed, other teams will learn from the DC success and apply them to us in future games.

You mention that LA is next and our "streak" should continue. Well...don't be so sure...the Gals are scoring shitloads of goals and if we don't sort these things out, we are going to have to match them with our goal count...which is not something Toronto is normally able to do, am I wrong?

I have all the same worries. Sutton made some great stops, but that rebound was horrible. I like Wynne overall but as I had said before he really needs to work on his positional play, so he does not have to faul when he is recovering from mistakes. If we are going to play a defensive game, which I hope we are, we have to keep possession way better then we did on Saturday, and start defending from the midfield not at our own box.

James17930
05-26-2008, 11:00 AM
Yeah, Wynne and Sutton fucked up, but players fuck up sometimes -- just annoying they both did it in the same game. The whole team didn't play well enough to deserve the win, but we should have at least gotten a tie.

Where Carver was at fault was not putting Dunivant in for Robert around the 65th minute. Robert should NEVER have been kept out there all game.

Why the fuck did he bring Cunningham on again? Are they shopping him? Because that was pointless. If he had of stuck to his usual rotation policy of Duni for Robert, we probably would have gotten the tie and we'd have Robert for next Saturday.

TOBOR !
05-26-2008, 12:27 PM
I think the team is starting to believe in the hype and have forgotten what it took to get them where they are.

nimamalek
05-26-2008, 12:41 PM
something everyone should keep in mind is that their coach was rumoured to be fired if they didnt win Sat, and they were playing like a team trying to save their coach from getting the boot, thats the best i've seen them play all year

Dozitwin
05-26-2008, 12:51 PM
The third goal, honestly, It's Sutton fault. He should either punched that ball or caught it but as an experienced GK with a good vision of your territory, you should not trust your defence in collecting a rebound all the time.

That's pretty easy to say from our seats but that ball has some good pace to it and sutton did well to get in front of it.

Actually I think his position on the first goal off the corner may have been somewhat questionable. Regardless Sutton made his fair share big saves for us and when you are put under pressure that many times something is going to give.

Dozitwin
05-26-2008, 12:57 PM
That was embarassing.

yeah but the Red Bulls are shite.....

jabbronies
05-26-2008, 01:02 PM
Our Defence had a bad game...that's all it was....After 6 strong games, it was time for them to fuck up...they are only human.

Hopfully they've now got it out of thier system for the next 6 games!!!

jabbronies
05-26-2008, 01:03 PM
And in all honesty, I'm glad they lost to DC...Even if they are in last it's better them than LA or Shitcago or Craplumbus.

TFC Tifoso
05-26-2008, 01:12 PM

Yeah, I don't mind people breaking down the game, but its the extremities that I post about....TFC is the greatest team in victory, but after one defeat, people suddenly say Guevara looks unmotivated, Robert is selfish, etc. It's all about moderation, the wins are never as great as they seem, and the losses are never as bad. Of course, the boys must learn from those mistakes and improve for Saturday, but other than that, save maybe for a Sutton error, they could've taken a point in a game they had no business doing so.
You're right in saying that TFC has a hard time matching teams for goals, but providing the coaching staff gets to the root of the problems in DC, corrects it this week in practice, and coupled with facing a short-handed Galaxy squad this weekend, I say the boys get back to their winning ways.

Pearce321
05-26-2008, 01:21 PM
Ball control. We cant just keep booting it away every time we get the ball.

It will be very interesting to see how Smith is going to play against Montreal.

Big Bruva
05-26-2008, 06:53 PM

IMO Carver is doing it because RR still isn't 100% match fit and any sub coming in at roughly the 70th + min should come on full of energy and you hope the player also wants to prove that he should be starting and thats what Smithy has been doing.

There is no way Laurent played better than RR in my eyes but like it has been said before i don't think any of the boys played great (DD finished well) and i would of taken him off before RR and brought Smithy on BUT when your losing with a certain amount of time and LR takes free kicks and has a left like he does then you might hope he can do something to get you back in the game.

Ossington Mental Youth
05-26-2008, 06:56 PM
Yeah, I don't mind people breaking down the game, but its the extremities that I post about....TFC is the greatest team in victory, but after one defeat, people suddenly say Guevara looks unmotivated, Robert is selfish, etc. It's all about moderation, the wins are never as great as they seem, and the losses are never as bad. Of course, the boys must learn from those mistakes and improve for Saturday, but other than that, save maybe for a Sutton error, they could've taken a point in a game they had no business doing so.
You're right in saying that TFC has a hard time matching teams for goals, but providing the coaching staff gets to the root of the problems in DC, corrects it this week in practice, and coupled with facing a short-handed Galaxy squad this weekend, I say the boys get back to their winning ways.

Holy Hannah.
A voice of reason.

netsan
05-26-2008, 09:02 PM
My beef is with Carl Robinson and Maurice Edu.... Both players are defense first and we need more. I was disappointed with Rohan this game. He had a chance on goal and he got indecisive!!! When in doubt JUST SHOOT! That's why Dicho scores, even though he's slow....

Just once I'd like to see how we play without "hot potato" Carl....

Roogsy
05-26-2008, 09:06 PM
When in doubt JUST SHOOT! That's why Dicho scores, even though he's slow....

QFT...I am shocked at how gunshy this team is sometimes.

They should take a page from the amateurs sometimes. I play with a Brit who will take a shot from 30 feet out if he has a clear line. He has a bullet for a shot...his aim isn't the best, but he does test the keeper. I dont see why a professional couldn't put a ball on net. Look what happened with the goal that finally beat us on Saturday. That nice fat rebound was a result of a shot from outside the box.

netsan
05-26-2008, 09:19 PM
QFT...I am shocked at how gunshy this team is sometimes.

They should take a page from the amateurs sometimes. I play with a Brit who will take a shot from 30 feet out if he has a clear line. He has a bullet for a shot...his aim isn't the best, but he does test the keeper. I dont see why a professional couldn't put a ball on net. Look what happened with the goal that finally beat us on Saturday. That nice fat rebound was a result of a shot from outside the box.

AMEN!

Blazer
05-27-2008, 07:46 AM
Jaysus, we can’t go undefeated the entire season. They dropped a match by a goal on the road. Big picture here folks. A new streak will begin, keep the faith – it’s a long season!

giambac
05-27-2008, 08:00 AM
My beef is with Carl Robinson and Maurice Edu.... Both players are defense first and we need more. I was disappointed with Rohan this game. He had a chance on goal and he got indecisive!!! When in doubt JUST SHOOT! That's why Dicho scores, even though he's slow....

Just once I'd like to see how we play without "hot potato" Carl....

It never hurts to take a shot on goal.

I've been coaching both hockey and soccer and have always told my players only good thing s can happen when you shoot on goal.

You are correct, to many players are indecisive. Fuck shot the damn ball.

Blazer
05-27-2008, 11:46 AM
It never hurts to take a shot on goal.

I've been coaching both hockey and soccer and have always told my players only good thing s can happen when you shoot on goal.

You are correct, to many players are indecisive. Fuck shot the damn ball.

I tend to agree more with the “shoot and good things will happen” philosophy in hockey but soccer is a much different animal. Making quick decisions to rifle a ball off because there is only a split-second window often results in missed targets/ net or easy grabbable saves in soccer. Seldom do you see a huge rebound that spurts out to the opposition before a defender can clear it away. I think the Edu/ Robinson frustration comes from a lack of offensive skill rather than decisions they are making or not making to shoot the ball.