PDA

View Full Version : Seattle don't sign Canadian Jacob Lensky

Keegan
01-29-2009, 08:14 PM
http://blog.seattletimes.nwsource.com/sounders/2009/01/29/fc_adds_lensky.html (http://blog.seattletimes.nwsource.com/sounders/2009/01/29/fc_adds_lensky.html)

20 year old promising Canuck, played for Feyenoord but was homesick and came home. Injury history. Retirement and then training with Vancouver.. lots of drama.

I don't think TFC had a chance since he wants to be close to home Seattle is perfect for him.

supernothingman
01-29-2009, 08:18 PM
Twats.

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
01-29-2009, 08:25 PM
Seattle seems to have its shit together....I think they will be a force this year!

dantdot
01-29-2009, 08:26 PM
Someone needs to make a big red ring of death sign when we play them.

Keegan
01-29-2009, 08:31 PM
Seattle seems to have its shit together....I think they will be a force this year!

I think they will make the playoffs honestly they have a great team!

Montero, Ljunberg, Keller all new to MLS and proven in better leagues around the world. Then add in MLS vet players great to see them reward their fans.

Daveisonfire
01-29-2009, 08:35 PM
Someone needs to make a big red ring of death sign when we play them.

hahahaha that would be hilarious

jrey
01-29-2009, 08:40 PM
I can't believe we're missing out on Will Johnson and Jacob Lensky now. Two rising Canadians should be exactly what we're going for, and we let them slip through our fingers.

I get that Lensky might have wanted to stay close to Vancouver, but fuck.

Seattle is going to be a good team. It's almost depressing that we're two years in and they may be much farther along than we are.

dupont
01-29-2009, 08:41 PM

HAHAHAHA yes someone has to do that!

VPjr
01-29-2009, 08:43 PM
good for Jacob. maybe he'll get to play as much for Seattle as Mo Edu got to play for TFC in their 1st season. that would be great for his development.

Who said that there are no Canadians willing to play in MLS (oops...that might have been me)...LOL

Ossington Mental Youth
01-29-2009, 09:08 PM
Lensky was never going to come here, dude was homesick and wanted to be back in Vancouver.
With Johnson we never had a chance because his rights were owned by Chicago who we had difficulty with (re: McBride). Yes it sucks but lets deal with it.

As for Seattle being a force, i dunno, im still skeptical. They do have alot of pretty decent players. Id put good money on their DP being injured a large amount of the season this year also alot of those guys they have signed are unproven in the MLS so just about anything can happen. They do have Sigi, gag, who knows the league in and out, so as long as hes got alot of control on the team they might do relatively well.

rocker
01-29-2009, 09:13 PM
Montero, Ljunberg, Keller all new to MLS and proven in better leagues around the world. Then add in MLS vet players great to see them reward their fans.

you're pretty confident they'll make the playoffs eh? that's going out on a limb, since every expansion team recently has not made the playoffs in their first season.

I think seattle has a few decent parts, but certainly not a "great" lineup from number 1 to number 11. their depth is weak (mostly castoffs from the expansion draft).

like every other expansion team in recent years, I expect they will have problems gelling and finding depth when guys get injured.

As well, Montero is on loan, so he's not locked up long term. He could be gone after 1 season. Keller is old and hasn't played a game in nearly a year. Ljunberg is coming off a major surgery and has been injured in the past.

what's that saying about "counting chickens before they hatch?" ;)

NF-FC
01-29-2009, 09:19 PM
Seattle a force? I remember on big soccer people were saying TFC had the best strike force in MLS with Esky, Buddle, and someone else i can't remember. I wouldn't go calling them a force yet, though they will be good for an expansion team

DigzTFC!
01-29-2009, 09:31 PM
The real important thing is that he will be "most likely" starting and developing as a player. He will locked into Canada as a player unless he switches at the last minute to the Czech Republic. Highly unlikely given he quit football.

:canada:

Keegan
01-29-2009, 09:38 PM
He has a shot to be play for Canada vs. Cyrpus is he makes an impact in MLS.

Brooker
01-29-2009, 10:42 PM
Seattle will do better than San Jose i think....

we will finish higher than both of them. (did i just jinx it?)

Razcle
01-29-2009, 10:51 PM
Haha...you are also forgetting about the power of gel-ing a team together by playing with them day after day. As of right now, Seattle have zero players that have played much with eachother before. It can be argued that they have no core since all of these players could be injured of with different clubs come the mid point of the season. So lets watch them run out of the gate and stumble on there feet like every other expansion team does.

Lucky for them, the MLS is not of such high quality that they won't get torn apart in their first season because they have quality individuals that can make small impacts throughout the game. Lets see what happens...should be good for the league though.

ALSO....if Vancouver gets in 2010, does Lensky get traded up north where he has the potential to be a poster boy for the club?

TorCanSoc
01-29-2009, 11:02 PM
Depth through 30 games is what will get you through. A couple of injuries, one call up, and Seattle is done.

Sigi's going become addicted to choco-chai frappe lattes and have a heart attack before game 4.

I follow Canadian soccer closely, I've never heard of this Lensky kid. Maybe that's a good thing? Cdn kids signing on with big club's reserve teams not making news. Means we're improving ???

rocktml
01-29-2009, 11:05 PM
Homesick..............come on grow some balls

Keegan
01-29-2009, 11:29 PM
Depth through 30 games is what will get you through. A couple of injuries, one call up, and Seattle is done.

Sigi's going become addicted to choco-chai frappe lattes and have a heart attack before game 4.

I follow Canadian soccer closely, I've never heard of this Lensky kid. Maybe that's a good thing? Cdn kids signing on with big club's reserve teams not making news. Means we're improving ???

If you haven't heard of Lensky you don't follow Canadian soccer closely. The guy made his debut for Feyenoord first team at just 18 years old.

Feyenoord imo has one of the best youth academies if not the best at the moment in europe. Look at the talent coming through their ranks even though I am not a fan of one of those players....

werewolf
01-29-2009, 11:33 PM
He didn't come through Feyenoord's youth academy. And he played a giant total of 1 first-team game for them in two seasons, and now is at an expansion MLS side.

That's not to say it wouldn't have been nice to have him hear, but its not like the Sounders have just become Cup contenders based on this signing. Though for Canada's sake, I am hope he reaches that kind of level soon.

Razcle
01-29-2009, 11:51 PM
I can't believe we're missing out on Will Johnson and Jacob Lensky now. Two rising Canadians should be exactly what we're going for, and we let them slip through our fingers.

Dont forget about RSL trialing Kennedy O-A. IF he is good enough to make their team he must have some MLS potential as they were Cup Semi-finalists.

http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=9329

Yohan
01-30-2009, 12:11 AM
Haha...you are also forgetting about the power of gel-ing a team together by playing with them day after day. As of right now, Seattle have zero players that have played much with eachother before. It can be argued that they have no core since all of these players could be injured of with different clubs come the mid point of the season. So lets watch them run out of the gate and stumble on there feet like every other expansion team does.

actually no. Sounders I think signed few of their USL players to MLS squad

Toronto Ruffrider
01-30-2009, 12:28 AM
He has a shot to be play for Canada vs. Cyrpus is he makes an impact in MLS.

Given all of the international players who are bowing out of Dale Mitchell's squad, even I stand a chance at cracking the starting XI. Seriously, though, best of luck to Jacob; I'm sure he'll do just fine for the Sounders.

Toronto Ruffrider
01-30-2009, 12:32 AM
actually no. Sounders I think signed few of their USL players to MLS squad

That seems to ring a bell. IIRC, Seattle was allowed to sign up to eight players from its USL-1 squad.

Keystone FC
01-30-2009, 01:44 AM

I don't know. On paper they look tuff but the proof is on the pitch. Look at CBus last year. They had two good players and went all the way after missing the playoffs for 3 seasons. Houston was chop full of talent and went nowhere. It all comes down to how well Sigi can coach and how well the team gels.
I made the prediction last year that San Jose was the dark horse with what they had talent wise so I think I'll stay silent on any predictions this year.:rolleyes:

Cambridge_Red
01-30-2009, 03:23 AM
This is was is what is pissing me off about Toronto. We wait and wait until we're half way into a season to start making moves. Yes I know DERO is here but god knows how long that really took to go through. Seattle a team yet to kick a ball has a really strong team IMO put in place. Please for the love of god get our team sorted before the season starts Mo.

Ossington Mental Youth
01-30-2009, 04:21 AM
sometimes you cant get the guys you want or need until halfway through the season. This year, outside of a solid leading CB we have everyone we need

Steve
01-30-2009, 08:58 AM
This is was is what is pissing me off about Toronto. We wait and wait until we're half way into a season to start making moves. Yes I know DERO is here but god knows how long that really took to go through. Seattle a team yet to kick a ball has a really strong team IMO put in place. Please for the love of god get our team sorted before the season starts Mo.

Again, can we wait until at least halfway through the season before declaring Seattle MLS champs?

As for our young Canadian friend, I don't blame him. If I wanted to be close to move home and be close to family, would I move to Vancouver or Buffalo? Plus, Seattle is probably closer culturally to Vancouver than Toronto is.

rocker
01-30-2009, 09:02 AM
Again, can we wait until at least halfway through the season before declaring Seattle MLS champs?

Amen brother. And why do people who criticize TFC have to praise our enemies in the process? Go ahead an criticize TFC, but praising the opposition? It's unseemly.

Oldtimer
01-30-2009, 09:06 AM
If Seattle ends up being above last place in the west, they can consider their expansion year a success.

brad
01-30-2009, 09:08 AM
Plus, Seattle is probably closer culturally to Vancouver than Toronto is.

Very similar places - Seattle is nicer though. One of my favorite cities (Seattle)

Keegan
01-30-2009, 10:14 AM
Given all of the international players who are bowing out of Dale Mitchell's squad, even I stand a chance at cracking the starting XI. Seriously, though, best of luck to Jacob; I'm sure he'll do just fine for the Sounders.

The players bowing out like Brennan and Sutton? Those guys are easily replaceable. Josh Wagenaar is opening some eyes in England and stealing matches weekly it seems... where did I hear that name before? Oh thats the guy Mo passed up.... Brennan will probably be replaced by Nik Ledgerwood, David Edgar or Dejan Jakovic. All playing for big clubs in europe so no biggie.

The only player I am worried about leaving the team is De Rosario. De Guzman said he would never turn down a call up and no one else on the team stands out enough to say "im not accepting a call up" and to think people will care.

T_Mizz
01-30-2009, 11:06 AM
^What about up front? who's our striker when Friend isn't playing and I'm not sure about Gerba
Also Wagenaar isn't exactly stealing matches in england he was playing backup to another better canadian begovic

Keegan
01-30-2009, 03:20 PM
^What about up front? who's our striker when Friend isn't playing and I'm not sure about Gerba
Also Wagenaar isn't exactly stealing matches in england he was playing backup to another better canadian begovic

Olivier Occean best striker in Norway or Iain Hume who is coming back this season after his awful injury amazing recovery. Tomasz Radzinski could also be used but I agree we are awfully weak at striker. Josh Simpson is a striker in Bundesliga 2 maybe Bundesliga 1 next year. So he is an option. And also Simeon Jackson who is being linked with Aston Villa and Ipswich tearing up League 2. David Hoillet if he plays for us is another.. Tosaint Ricketts just signed in Denmark I believe and then there is Andrea Lombard.... oh ;) Issey Nakajima plays striker in Denmark also. So we have a lot more options then we are given credit for but no real star out and out striker.

Keegan
01-30-2009, 03:27 PM

He was playing backup because Portsmouth had a clause that he starts league matches... Yeovil fans wanted Wagenaar starting. Begovic is back in the EPL now and Wagenaar is playing lights out read their recent match reports... he was just named in the team of the week.

Toronto Ruffrider
01-30-2009, 03:35 PM
The players bowing out like Brennan and Sutton? Those guys are easily replaceable. Josh Wagenaar is opening some eyes in England and stealing matches weekly it seems... where did I hear that name before? Oh thats the guy Mo passed up.... Brennan will probably be replaced by Nik Ledgerwood, David Edgar or Dejan Jakovic. All playing for big clubs in europe so no biggie.

The only player I am worried about leaving the team is De Rosario. De Guzman said he would never turn down a call up and no one else on the team stands out enough to say "im not accepting a call up" and to think people will care.

Dude, my post wasn't meant to be taken seriously. If I have to put a ";)" in front of a post like that, then my humour is lost.

Obviously Canada has more depth than I indicated. The whole point of my post was to throw another jab toward the man who would coach Lensky at the national level, and we all know who that is.

Benficachop20
01-30-2009, 03:42 PM
Wagenaar is garbage. the kid makes soo many mistakes every time i see him.

Will be interesting to see how Lensky does in Seattle, could be a good place for him to develop, and perhaps can learn off Ljungberg.

AL-MO
01-30-2009, 04:15 PM
If you haven't heard of Lensky you don't follow Canadian soccer closely. The guy made his debut for Feyenoord first team at just 18 years old.

Feyenoord imo has one of the best youth academies if not the best at the moment in europe. Look at the talent coming through their ranks even though I am not a fan of one of those players....

Sporting of Portugal ;)

oxygenatedbrain
01-30-2009, 07:37 PM
Retired again...available?...fly the whole family to T.O.?

http://goalseattle1.proboards101.com/index.cgi?board=seattlemls&action=display&thread=2559&page=17

"Not much to report, but our photographer Rick Morrison did get back to me just now saying that Jacob Lensky won't be joining the Sounders, so we'll have to hold the phone on that idea for now."

and

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/sports/2008690113_soundersglance31.html

mighty_torontofc_2008
01-30-2009, 10:47 PM

I get that Lensky might have wanted to stay close to Vancouver, but fuck.

Seattle is going to be a good team. It's almost depressing that we're two years in and they may be much farther along than we are.

they havn't kicked off yet,,,missing on Lensky is no big deal hes injury prone....Johnson another one we wont miss....

ccopela
01-31-2009, 09:02 AM
they havn't kicked off yet,,,missing on Lensky is no big deal hes injury prone....Johnson another one we wont miss....

What significant injury has Lensky had in his career?

rocker
01-31-2009, 09:56 AM
What significant injury has Lensky had in his career?

I haven't seen details but a number of Voyageurs reference a regular problem with injuries:

http://www.canadian-soccer.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=16732

Keegan
01-31-2009, 11:15 AM

We won't miss a 21 year old Canadian with european top flight experience who would walk onto TFC in a second?

mighty_torontofc_2008
01-31-2009, 11:42 AM
We won't miss a 21 year old Canadian with european top flight experience who would walk onto TFC in a second?

theres not sure bet on that? he couldnt make it with Celtic, Feyenoord could get him to do anything on a regular basis, so we have to accept a washed up player just because he canadian...NO thanks.

rocker
01-31-2009, 11:44 AM
Lensky has not signed with Seattle.. by his choice. Obviously this guy's life/sport decisions are more complicated then people think.

Jacob Lensky, a midfielder from Vancouver B.C., opted not to accept an invitation to camp and was removed from the roster.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/sports/2008690113_soundersglance31.html

Pachuco
01-31-2009, 12:36 PM

NO, we won't miss an unstable Canadian who chose to retire because he got home sick. Give me a break, I don't even know how you defend this guy, and how you expect MO to just jump all over every Canadian soccer player. The guy hasn't even played in how long? EXACTLY!

werewolf
01-31-2009, 12:40 PM
thread title edited.

rocker
01-31-2009, 12:43 PM
Lensky needs to settle down in his home town, get his head on straight, think about life etc. Then other teams can worry about signing him once he figures out what he wants to do.

Last thing Seattle or TFC should do is sign him, invest time and a roster spot in him, and he flakes out again.

NF-FC
01-31-2009, 12:54 PM
If this kid ever plays pro soccer again it'll be with the Caps. It's the only team that makes sense.

mighty_torontofc_2008
01-31-2009, 01:36 PM

he can go home and suck on his mothers tit...at 21 and homesick..hesuseless to any football club.

Keegan
01-31-2009, 01:49 PM
NO, we won't miss an unstable Canadian who chose to retire because he got home sick. Give me a break, I don't even know how you defend this guy, and how you expect MO to just jump all over every Canadian soccer player. The guy hasn't even played in how long? EXACTLY!

Im talking about Will Johnson.... 21. Lensky is 20

Keegan
01-31-2009, 01:50 PM
he can go home and suck on his mothers tit...at 21 and homesick..hesuseless to any football club.

Lensky is 20 and being homesick makes him useless to any football club? Vancouver? :noidea:

werewolf
01-31-2009, 01:52 PM
Lensky has accomplished less in his career then Andrea Lombardo at the same age.

jloome
01-31-2009, 02:05 PM
Lensky came up with Celtic and was huuuuugely regarded as a youth player, bags of talent.

May be that the money they're talking about wasn't enough incentive to "unretire", since as an oft-injured youth player they'd be talking about $32,000, max. Will Johnson signed for $52,000.

TorCanSoc
01-31-2009, 06:31 PM

A pissing match on who's the greatest fan? No thanks. I've followed the CMNT since '86 when I was in university.

Not sure what media to hit to find these young guys coming through the ranks. I'll tell you what's true though. Since TFC has come onto the scene, my searching for any CMNT tidbits has definitely reduced.

CretanBull
01-31-2009, 06:34 PM
I don't know why everyone thinks that Seatle have put together a good team, they look like shit to me.

rocker
01-31-2009, 07:12 PM
I don't know why everyone thinks that Seatle have put together a good team, they look like shit to me.

which is natural, since the core of their team is the castoffs from every other team. This is why I think people shouldn't expect much from them in their first season. Look through the bios of the MLS guys on the team, and there's nothing impressive there. I remember after the draft New England fans were glad to see Khano Smith go.. same with Vagenas and LA fans. TFC fans were overjoyed that they took the other Smith.

But guys like Graham, Ianni, Sturgis, Wahl etc are not regular players who have proven themselves as starters in this league.

They are also taking some shots on USL guys who played for Seattle and some unproven foreigners.

Nate Jacqua and James Riley are good players. If Jeff Parke actually signs, he's solid -- although he's suspended for the drug thing to start the season. Le Toux looks good, but again, he needs to prove himself in MLS. Brad Evans in competant.. but he wasn't a permanent starter on the championship Columbus team. Montero's resume is pretty hot, and the drafted kid Zakuani comes with a lot of promise.

In terms of stars, there's only Ljundberg and Keller, who if not injured should be very good in MLS. But Ljundberg has been injured often and Keller is 39 and hasn't played since the end of the last Euro season.

So by my count they have about 8 guys who are average or better. But that lack of depth is pretty scary. Ljundberg gets injured or Montero turns out to be a bust or Keller goes down on that turf, and they are screwed like we were in Year 1.

This is not to criticize the management of the Sounders... They are just in a shitty position, like every other expansion team. Getting any rag tag crew of castoffs, unprovens, average players, and a few aging stars to play well enough to surpass 7 other established MLS teams and make the playoffs is gonna be tough.

CretanBull
01-31-2009, 07:23 PM
^ yeah, I pretty much agree with your accesssment exactly. There's a lot of "ifs" and "maybes" there...if it all comes together they'll be "ok", if it doesn't - and there's no way everything will go right for them - they're going to suck...just like every other expansion team.

T_Mizz
01-31-2009, 07:45 PM
theres not sure bet on that? he couldnt make it with Celtic, Feyenoord could get him to do anything on a regular basis, so we have to accept a washed up player just because he canadian...NO thanks.
I'm not sure 20 years old can be washed up but then again how old is Lombardo?

Pachuco
01-31-2009, 08:09 PM
Im talking about Will Johnson.... 21. Lensky is 20

Dude, Chicago had rights to Will Johnson, that's a different story. Can't blame Mo for not having Johnson if Chicago has him and wants to keep him. Who knows, maybe he'll play with us in the future.

Pachuco
01-31-2009, 08:11 PM
which is natural, since the core of their team is the castoffs from every other team. This is why I think people shouldn't expect much from them in their first season. Look through the bios of the MLS guys on the team, and there's nothing impressive there. I remember after the draft New England fans were glad to see Khano Smith go.. same with Vagenas and LA fans. TFC fans were overjoyed that they took the other Smith.

But guys like Graham, Ianni, Sturgis, Wahl etc are not regular players who have proven themselves as starters in this league.

They are also taking some shots on USL guys who played for Seattle and some unproven foreigners.

Nate Jacqua and James Riley are good players. If Jeff Parke actually signs, he's solid -- although he's suspended for the drug thing to start the season. Le Toux looks good, but again, he needs to prove himself in MLS. Brad Evans in competant.. but he wasn't a permanent starter on the championship Columbus team. Montero's resume is pretty hot, and the drafted kid Zakuani comes with a lot of promise.

In terms of stars, there's only Ljundberg and Keller, who if not injured should be very good in MLS. But Ljundberg has been injured often and Keller is 39 and hasn't played since the end of the last Euro season.

So by my count they have about 8 guys who are average or better. But that lack of depth is pretty scary. Ljundberg gets injured or Montero turns out to be a bust or Keller goes down on that turf, and they are screwed like we were in Year 1.

This is not to criticize the management of the Sounders... They are just in a shitty position, like every other expansion team. Getting any rag tag crew of castoffs, unprovens, average players, and a few aging stars to play well enough to surpass 7 other established MLS teams and make the playoffs is gonna be tough.

I agree, they probably won't be that good of a team next year, however, I think they are still in a much better place then we were in our first off season.

rocker
01-31-2009, 08:27 PM
I agree, they probably won't be that good of a team next year, however, I think they are still in a much better place then we were in our first off season.

ya probably. San Jose finished better than us too...

although finishing last is still finishing last, no matter how many points you get! :)

I kinda look at TFC's first season tho as a good example of what can happen to Seattle:

1) start off shitty cuz your guys have no chemistry
2) get a decent starting 11 together and win as much as you lose (this happened in that stretch before O'Brien got hurt)
3) get decimated with injuries and your backups are shitty USL players who can't match the starters (Braz, Reda etc).
4) crash and burn to the end of the season

San Jose actually started off just about as bad as TFC's first season. They couldn't score worth a shit altho their defense was better than ours is season 1. Then they got Hucks and a few other parts and that made them an average team the rest of the way, which pulled them away from our season one 25 point total. But they were on pace for 25 points or fewer for some time.

CretanBull
02-02-2009, 12:27 PM
I watched a reality TV show last night called something like "Sounder's Search". The top prize was a roster spot (not a try out, an actual roster spot) for the MLS expansion team. I think that it's cool that Seatle are trying (lots of) new things and approaches, but I'm glad that TFC doesn't have an 'American Idol' type contestant on its roster...and I think that might put into perspective how little depth that Seatle has.

canadian_bhoy
02-02-2009, 12:56 PM
I watched a reality TV show last night called something like "Sounder's Search". The top prize was a roster spot (not a try out, an actual roster spot) for the MLS expansion team. I think that it's cool that Seatle are trying (lots of) new things and approaches, but I'm glad that TFC doesn't have an 'American Idol' type contestant on its roster...and I think that might put into perspective how little depth that Seatle has.

TFC has done this open tryout style thing twice now.

rocker
02-02-2009, 01:11 PM
Chivas and FC Dallas did this (spanish show).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sue%C3%B1o_MLS

CretanBull
02-02-2009, 01:16 PM
TFC has done this open tryout style thing twice now.

This wasn't an open try out, it was a guaranteed contract & roster spot to a game show contestant.

CretanBull
02-02-2009, 01:24 PM
Chivas and FC Dallas did this (spanish show).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sue%C3%B1o_MLS

I'm not sure about Dallas because they didn't mention it last night, but the difference between what Seatle did and what Chivas dis is significant. The winner of the Chivas show was given an invitation to try out during training camp to earn a roster spot. The player who won was signed to a developemental deal and played on Chivas's U-19 team for a season and earned a call-up last season. I assume he's the only success, because they didn't mention anyone else.

With this show, the winner was given a guaranteed contract and roster spot. The guy who won was born in Brazil (but grew up in America) so he might even count as one of their international signings. When you consider the new rules and reduced roster sizes for the 2009 season, this is a much bigger deal.

ExiledRed
02-02-2009, 05:54 PM
This wasn't an open try out, it was a guaranteed contract & roster spot to a game show contestant.

What a great idea!

This is just what we need to shake off the 'Mickey Mouse' image.

Beach_Red
02-02-2009, 05:56 PM
What a great idea!

This is just what we need to shake off the 'Mickey Mouse' image.

Okay, this time we can ALL see the sarcasm ;).

jloome
02-02-2009, 07:33 PM
Okay, this time we can ALL see the sarcasm ;).

Heheheh, first thing I've chuckled at all miserable day.