PDA

View Full Version : Onward -- Stadium, stadium, who's got a stadium?

Ben Knight
01-29-2009, 03:37 PM
A flagging attempt to find logic in the MLS expansion derby.

http://onwardsoccer.com/2009/01/29/stadium-stadium-who%e2%80%99s-got-a-stadium/

billyfly
01-29-2009, 03:47 PM
Thanks Ben. Maybe MLS have a spot "reserved" for a CAN bid and VAN wins over Ottawa because of the SSS issue.

mighty_torontofc_2008
01-29-2009, 04:15 PM
Ottawa will get a SSS and will be selected over Vancouver,No government will go and help a CFL team in Ottawa going on its past history. And BC is not and should not be acceptable to MLS, listening Mr Garber?? Montreal has a SSS and did not want to be in the league...go figure?:rolleyes:

BuSaPuNk
01-29-2009, 04:18 PM
Thanks Ben! Hopefully everyone is right that Vancouver is in the main spot for the expanstion. It would be really nice to see. But who knows what happens when it comes to what the MLS wants...they are really screwed up sometimes.

Beach_Red
01-29-2009, 04:20 PM
Thanks Ben! Hopefully everyone is right that Vancouver is in the main spot for the expanstion. It would be really nice to see. But who knows what happens when it comes to what the MLS wants...they are really screwed up sometimes.

We already play Vancouver enough, they don't need tobe in MLS.

Could they let in more than two teams?

Billy the kid
01-29-2009, 04:43 PM
I wouldn't mind if Ottawa got in over Vancouver, if they could get the stadium sorted out. Simply for being able to travel to away games. With the Canadian championship, it feels as though there is already a rivalry with Montreal and Vancouver. It would be great to add another team to our national championship.

The prestige of being in the MLS as opposed to the USL-1 is kind of minimal at this point.

flatpicker
01-29-2009, 04:46 PM
^ I have a similar perspective...

The possibility of growing the Voyageur Cup by one more team sounds nice.

Perhaps Ottawa should still consider getting a team even if they don't get in the MLS.
Maybe they could get themselves a USL team and build a stadium capable of expansion in future.

ensco
01-29-2009, 04:51 PM
I'm not buying 97% of what is passing for "fact" in the media on this topic.

Miami will come in for Philly and will play at FIU.

Nobody else will be in.

My two cents.

ExiledRed
01-29-2009, 04:52 PM
I wouldn't mind if Ottawa got in over Vancouver, if they could get the stadium sorted out. Simply for being able to travel to away games. With the Canadian championship, it feels as though there is already a rivalry with Montreal and Vancouver. It would be great to add another team to our national championship.

The prestige of being in the MLS as opposed to the USL-1 is kind of minimal at this point.

Ottawa would be fantastic,

It would add fourth team to the Nutrilite Cup, and the away game would be even more accessible than Montreal.

The only problem I foresee would be the thinning of an already shallow canadian talent pool.

Beach_Red
01-29-2009, 04:59 PM
I'm not buying 97% of what is passing for "fact" in the media on this topic.

Miami will come in for Philly and will play at FIU.

Nobody else will be in.

My two cents.

Why do you think that? If there's someone willing to put up the expansion fee, why wouldn't they let them in?

I mean, I agree they shouldn't just let in anyone who offers up the fee, that's what the NHL did and it's hard to call that successful, but why would these guys be any different?

Hitcho
01-29-2009, 05:03 PM
I'd love to see Montreal in MLS for the TFC rivalry, for the stadium, for the fan support there and for the European flavour they would add to MLS. Ottawa - meh, it's such a bland place compared to Montreal.

That said, I am genuinely worried about the impact any new Canadian side in MLS would have on TFC. They will likely be subject to the same (or at least similar) player rules as we are. That puts a serious squeeze on Canadian talent which means both sides have to pay over the odds to secure them, both sides will ultimately end up having to include weaker players in their squad than they otherwise might and all the US MLS sides can but fuck us at will if they ever get hold of a decent Canadian player, because they know we'll be fighting over him (compare that to what we gave up for De Ro's rights).

Another Canadian side in MLS? Yes please, but ONLY if the league gets rid of the US/Canada player distinction. If Canadian sides are in the league, then Canadian as well as US players count as domestic. Antying else is grossly unfair and makes a mockery of the level playing field MLS claim to be implementing through the salary cap and draft pick system.

NOTE - I am not suggesting about citizenship here, or even work permits and green cards. All I am suggesting is that, for MLS squad identification purposes only (and nothing to do with government) there is no distinction between US and Canadian players. Outside of that they'd still need to secure the work permits etc they need to get in and play, but that doesn;t seem to be hard to acquire, so no big deal.

rocker
01-29-2009, 05:06 PM
yeah, it could be tough by spreading canadian talent. But then you have people on the voyageurs board (and that OTHER board) complaining TFC doesn't play enough Canadians or give them a chance. So right now it's hypothetical how it would all shake down.

i think to solve the problem you'd have to raise the cap a decent amount and draw back some guys from europe. But then raising the cap means more americans will come back too, so it probably evens out.

ensco
01-29-2009, 05:13 PM
Why do you think that? If there's someone willing to put up the expansion fee, why wouldn't they let them in?

I mean, I agree they shouldn't just let in anyone who offers up the fee, that's what the NHL did and it's hard to call that successful, but why would these guys be any different?

I have a fair bit of knowledge about the sports business via my work (can't say more, sorry).

Watch CNBC for 5 minutes. We are in a depression, not a recession, and sports spending is discretionary. Corporate season ticket sales will evaporate next year. The biggest sports advertisers, auto companies and financial services firms, they're finished.

Now ask yourself, why is this MLS expansion process going on so long?

While I have no particular insight into the MLS bidding process, I do know this....

Stadiums that were going to be built, won't, and guys that used to be able to write $40 million cheques, can't.

I will go further: the league may not survive if we stay in a depression for more than a year.

tfc
01-29-2009, 05:18 PM
I have a fair bit of knowledge about the sports business via my work (can't say more, sorry).

Watch CNBC for 5 minutes. We are in a depression, not a recession, and sports spending is discretionary. Corporate season ticket sales will evaporate next year. The biggest sports advertisers, auto companies and financial services firms, they're finished.

Now ask yourself, why is this MLS expansion process going on so long?

While I have no particular insight into the MLS bidding process, I do know this....

Stadiums that were going to be built, won't, and guys that used to be able to write $40 million cheques, can't.

I will go further: the league may not survive if we stay in a depression for more than a year.

If that becomes the case, we join USL-1 and bam! promotion/relegation! hahaha oh man would that suck though ... :o:(:mad::eek::drinking:

Beach_Red
01-29-2009, 05:29 PM

Oh, that's different. I thought you meant the league would turn down some bids.

I'm sure you know a lot more about thisthan I do, but it seems to me that MLS is in a pretty good position to offer some reasonably priced entertainment. There's a worldwide supply of players and the game doesn't cost that much to put on. TV networks still need to fill airtime.

Now, the NHL is trouble, regardless of the 21-year contracts they're offering these days ;).

The stadium construction that goes through will likely get tied to "infrastructure" to get tax breaks and government investment. In that way, the KC project with all those "youth soccer fields," attatched is probablythe model.

We may be in a depression, but what got us out of the last one was spending - Hoover Dam, Tennessee Valley Authority, WPA - it just has to be sold right. and one thing there's no shortage of in the USA is salesmen.

Redcoe15
01-29-2009, 06:18 PM
Just remember. MLS is an American based league. And Don Garber has stated more than once that any Canadian based bid needs to find new revenue streams and corporate support for MLS to tap into. Very difficult in a country a tenth the size of the U.S. tha tis overly obsessive with all things hockey. We were very, very lucky to land an MLS team when we did.