PDA

View Full Version : Today’s News, Thursday , Jan.29

denime
01-29-2009, 07:18 AM
Mornin'

Toronto FC release 2009 MLS schedule

Reds to kick off season March 21 in Kansas City

• Full 2009 Toronto FC schedule (http://toronto.fc.mlsnet.com/schedule/scoreboard/season.jsp?team=t280)
Major League Soccer announced Wednesday the complete regular season schedule for 2009. This is the 14th season of MLS and will see each of the 15 clubs play 30 regular season games for a total of 225 games. The league reduced the volume of games near August 12, September 5 and October 10 - all World Cup Qualifying dates. An effort was made to schedule byes during international competitions for the teams competing in CONCACAF Champions League (Columbus Crew, D.C. United, New York Red Bulls and Houston Dynamo) and SuperLiga (Chicago Fire, New England Revolution, Kansas City Wizards and Chivas USA).

Read more (http://toronto.fc.mlsnet.com/news/team_news.jsp?ymd=20090128&content_id=214457&vkey=news_t280&fext=.jsp&team=t280)

Toronto FC begins MLS season on the road

Toronto FC will play its opening two games on the road during the 2009 Major League Soccer season before returning home to host the league's newest expansion franchise.
The MLS schedule released Wednesday has Toronto visiting the Kansas City Wizards on March 21 and the Columbus Crew on March 28.
The Canadian club then returns to Toronto on April 4 to host the Seattle Sounders in its home opener.

Read more (http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/story/2009/01/28/toronto-fc-mls.html)

TFC'S RICKETTS SEES UP-SIDE TO BECKHAM'S POTENTIAL DEPARTURE

While Major League Soccer can't be happy with league poster boy David Beckham's recent comments about extending his stay in Italy, at least one current player sees the upside.
Toronto FC winger Rohan Ricketts, who has played against Beckham both in England and North America, spoke to the TEAM 1040 in Vancouver about Beckham's potential departure.

Read more (http://www.tsn.ca/soccer/story/?id=264903&lid=sublink05&lpos=headlines_main)

SUNSHINE (http://www.torontosun.com/sunshinegirl/) :ihih:

Carter
01-29-2009, 07:22 AM
Mornin D.... *cough cough cough cough* i think i almost gaged, Up side to beckham leaving? Other than LA galaxy wont be a premium game then? i don't see one.

canadian_bhoy
01-29-2009, 07:35 AM
I really think we need to stop posting the sunshine girl. It's just sooooooo bad.

denime
01-29-2009, 07:58 AM
I really think we need to stop posting the sunshine girl. It's just sooooooo bad.

Don't be so picky CB. :p

quote from SUN:

Sunshine Girl Sherry is not a fan of winter weather. In fact, our girl is thinking about moving to the Caribbean (or even just Florida) to pursue her modeling career
Only confusing part for me is her future "modeling career" as what, a grizzly bear?

Stouffville_RPB
01-29-2009, 08:11 AM

quote from SUN:

Only confusing part for me is her future "modeling career" as what, a grizzly bear?

I guess the people at the Sun couldn't break it to her. Some people just have to learn the hard way.

canadian_bhoy
01-29-2009, 08:17 AM

quote from SUN:

At least she's leaving Canada.

Mrs. Workie
01-29-2009, 08:39 AM

+1!!! :puke:

They've been so horrible lately

rocker
01-29-2009, 09:02 AM
i know a guy with the same face.

BFin
01-29-2009, 09:02 AM
+1!!! :puke:

They've been so horrible lately

I reccomended it before, but can we please start posting scarlett johansson pictures instead everyday? I would be satisfied with that.

Cashcleaner
01-29-2009, 09:11 AM
No talk about the actual schedule from you guys?! Did anyone at least notice that all but 5 matches are being played on Saturdays?

Someones been listening! :D

BuSaPuNk
01-29-2009, 09:17 AM
Moring D! Either someones been listening or they understand the best way to make more money from ticket sales especially in the US is to have the majority of the games on the weekend.

scooter
01-29-2009, 09:17 AM
i cant believe it i pushed that button again and i swore i wasnt going to
oh sorry
mornin d

flatpicker
01-29-2009, 09:18 AM
TFC'S RICKETTS SEES UP-SIDE TO BECKHAM'S POTENTIAL DEPARTURE

"The Americans are doing everything they can to improve the level and reputation of their game," Beckham said. "It's a young league and I think it needs another 10 years to become successful.

"I have to admit that, having played in Europe, sometimes it was frustrating playing in certain games. But every now and then, moving from one state to another, I also enjoyed myself."

Read more (http://www.tsn.ca/soccer/story/?id=264903&lid=sublink05&lpos=headlines_main)

Definitely sounds like Beckham overestimated the quality of play in MLS.
But at least he enjoyed the sight-seeing...

scooter
01-29-2009, 09:20 AM
yes cash i noticed its awesome
i know tfc has certain restraints but they are really smart in responding to the fans

Chevy
01-29-2009, 09:29 AM
SSG = Two Bagger

Cashcleaner
01-29-2009, 09:37 AM
yes cash i noticed its awesome
i know tfc has certain restraints but they are really smart in responding to the fans

Oh for sure. I mean, you're always going to have broadcasting issues and general logistical snags that clubs like TFC and others have to work around, but the fact that they've managed to schedule 25 regular season games for Saturday is a great sign from both the club and the league.

C.Ronaldo
01-29-2009, 09:51 AM
so many stupid Saturday games

wtf

actually, now that i look at it, this is pretty good for cottagers.

I like weekend games, but Canadians have 2 months to actually go away and enjoy Canada with nice weather. Fighting with tfc for 8 weekends where they plump it right in the middle of the weekend on a sat gets tiring to squeeze everything in.

Cashcleaner
01-29-2009, 09:54 AM
Fuck you, Ronaldo! :p

Oldtimer
01-29-2009, 10:15 AM
More good news for the Vancouver Whitecaps and its bid for a Major League Soccer franchise. Commissioner Don Garber indicated on Tuesday the lack of approval for a soccer-specific stadium is a major stumbling block in Ottawa's plans to bring an expansion team to Canada's capital.

http://www.vancouversun.com/Sports/Soccer+Whitecaps+chances+expansion+continue+improv e/1228313/story.html

Chewy Unikronik
01-29-2009, 10:21 AM
People at work must think I'm on crack today... Can't stop laughing at this comment! LOLOLOLOL

Cashcleaner
01-29-2009, 10:27 AM
http://www.vancouversun.com/Sports/Soccer+Whitecaps+chances+expansion+continue+improv e/1228313/story.html

Thanks for the link Oldtimer. Can't say I can argue with any of it.

Eugene Melnyk — owner of the Ottawa Senators and the major backer of Ottawa's MLS bid — is currently in talks with government officials to secure both the land and partial funding required to build the proposed $110-million stadium near the NHL team's Scotiabank Place. Not helping Melnyk's chances is the city is also mulling a proposal from another group who has been granted a conditional Canadian Football League franchise. They too are looking for money to redevelop Lansdowne Park in the downtown core. Ottawa city council has gone on record to say it will approve only one or the other — possibly neither.

With everyone and their mom now tightening their purse strings given the current economic climate, nobody is in a good position to use public money on a sports facility.

BFin
01-29-2009, 11:44 AM
People at work must think I'm on crack today... Can't stop laughing at this comment! LOLOLOLOL
Ya really, that girl has all the sex appeal of a school bus fire.
SCAR JO...SCAR JO...I will start it.

THE NEW SUNSHINE GIRL
http://www.timboucher.com/journal/wp-content/uploads/2006/11/scarlett_johansson_allure.jpg

flatpicker
01-29-2009, 12:02 PM
^ seriously... that picture needs to be removed from the internet!!!!

It totally ruins any chance of a productive day for me!!!

It is possibly the sexiest picture ever taken!
How is a man supposed to concentrate on work with that image in his mind???!!!

MartinUtd
01-29-2009, 12:04 PM

I rarely click the link, but I do enjoy the criticisms!

BFin
01-29-2009, 12:09 PM
^ seriously... that picture needs to be removed from the internet!!!!

It totally ruins any chance of a productive day for me!!!

It is possibly the sexiest picture ever taken!
How is a man supposed to concentrate on work with that image in his mind???!!!
Isn't that the point of us all coming into work and surfing the board? Lets at least have something good to look at. The cleaning staff at the office is probably sick of cleaning vomit out of my garbage can everyday...tho I guess this alternative might provide for a bad cleanup for them too...but better for me. You can thank me later flatpicker, no rush.

mlsintoronto
01-29-2009, 12:41 PM
Mornin D.... *cough cough cough cough* i think i almost gaged, Up side to beckham leaving? Other than LA galaxy wont be a premium game then? i don't see one.

Mornin D.... *cough cough cough cough* i think i almost gagged, TSN writing about footie?

NF-FC
01-29-2009, 12:53 PM
Mornin D.... *cough cough cough cough* i think i almost gagged, TSN writing about footie?

TSN aren't writing about footy, they're writing about Beckham

DOMIN8R
01-29-2009, 12:55 PM
TSN aren't writing about footy, they're writing about Beckham

True that!

Oblio2
01-29-2009, 12:56 PM
Not sure what it is...but there is something about the SSG that I'm digging.
I'd hit that, frequently

Technorgasm
01-29-2009, 12:57 PM
ONE night game?

ONE game whiel the Ex is on?

too bad

Oblio2
01-29-2009, 12:58 PM
Games while the Ex was on were great.....night games had a whole new atmosphere too....This schedule sucks donkey balls

Technorgasm
01-29-2009, 01:01 PM
ok. . now. . who has some good chants, banner ideas for the N00bs!!

SEATLE SOUNDERS = BRING IT!

BFin
01-29-2009, 01:22 PM
^^
Heyyyyyy Freddy Ljunberg
OOOH AHH
I wanna knowwww
Why you signed that deal.

BFin
01-29-2009, 01:27 PM
just went over their song list...I think they will embarass themselves this year with some of these selections. Shouldn't be too hard for us to make fun of them when they are singing the "Adams Family" or "You are my sunshine".

http://soundernation.tripod.com/songlist.htm

Stryker
01-29-2009, 01:36 PM

TORONTO FC GONNA
ravage the red bulls
crush the revolution
take apart united
silence the sounders

BFin
01-29-2009, 01:39 PM

Thought of another one for a sign/banner

"You took the wrong J. Smith"

Chewy Unikronik
01-29-2009, 01:41 PM
Not sure what it is...but there is something about the SSG that I'm digging.
I'd hit that, frequently
Hit her with what? A stick????? :D

TorontoBlades
01-29-2009, 02:23 PM

you don't see the upside of a rival side losing a world-class player?

Hustle
01-29-2009, 02:28 PM
Bfynn, thanks for the pic...Holy Shit...thats awesome!

BuSaPuNk
01-29-2009, 02:38 PM
just went over their song list...I think they will embarass themselves this year with some of these selections. Shouldn't be too hard for us to make fun of them when they are singing the "Adams Family" or "You are my sunshine".

There song selections are funnier than Kramer on Seinfield!! lol

BFin
01-29-2009, 02:55 PM
Bfynn, thanks for the pic...Holy Shit...thats awesome!
Fin mister...Fin.
And you're welcome.
More to come tomorrow.:hump:

maninb
01-29-2009, 02:57 PM
TORONTO FC GONNA
ravage the red bulls
crush the revolution
take apart united
silence the sounders

Last line should be "Pound the Sounders" or something to that affect.

BFin
01-29-2009, 02:58 PM
Last line should be "Pound the Sounders" or something to that affect.
sodomize the sounders?

mighty_torontofc_2008
01-29-2009, 03:05 PM
Thanks for the link Oldtimer. Can't say I can argue with any of it.

With everyone and their mom now tightening their purse strings given the current economic climate, nobody is in a good position to use public money on a sports facility.

its vancouver propoganda, Vancouver know Ottawa is the Beter choice for a MLS franchise...but if Ottawa is not ready yet i pray to God Vancouver doesnt get in either.

Jeffro
01-29-2009, 03:12 PM

I seem to remember a "you are my sunshine" chant at BMO last year.... I think it emanated from 117 tho

Ageroo
01-29-2009, 03:24 PM

I kind of like...

Pass the bong ref, pass the bong ref,
Pass the bong, referee,
One puff ref,
Is enough ref,
Pass the bong, referee!!

BFin
01-29-2009, 03:29 PM
I kind of like...

Pass the bong ref, pass the bong ref,
Pass the bong, referee,
One puff ref,
Is enough ref,
Pass the bong, referee!!
I'd just rather keep the bong for myself, then let the ref have any of it. But that is just my opinion.

Miko
01-29-2009, 03:35 PM
For all the GNR fans - I'm partial to:

Take me down to the Kansas City
Where the Reds will win
Cause the Wiz are shitty
Take me home

Redcoe15
01-29-2009, 05:59 PM
its vancouver propoganda, Vancouver know Ottawa is the Beter choice for a MLS franchise...but if Ottawa is not ready yet i pray to God Vancouver doesnt get in either.
:crazy: :out:

BFin
01-29-2009, 06:28 PM
Anybody see Julian De Guzman's ripping of the CSA today? He is undeniably right in this instance. Enjoy the read, he is quite pissed. Though his true patriotism always would shine through. He also mentions that he wont be in MLS for at least 5 years...a 32 year JDG would still be nice heh.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/2009/01/29/de_guzman_csa/