PDA

View Full Version : Question, What defines a DP?

Derko
01-28-2009, 09:53 PM
So all you TFC supporters out there, What really defines a DP?

I have read alot of comments and debate over a DP, whether TFC should sign a DP, We were promised a DP, Mo said we would!!!

I have also read alot of folks were crying sgn DeRo as our DP, we have signed DeRo for non-DP money, is that not better than blowing a wad on someone who is a big name at the end of his career?

We don't need to fill the seats.

I say sign an strong CB and develop the forwards and midfield that we have, perhaps sign one more decent non-DP striker.

Realistic banter only please!

:drinking:

H Bomb
01-28-2009, 09:54 PM
salary!

ExiledRed
01-28-2009, 09:55 PM
DP is a player who would be impossible to sign under $400,000

simple.

ExiledRed
01-28-2009, 09:58 PM
A Designated Player at CB?

We only scored 34 goals last year, well below the league average.
We allowed in 43 goals, which was about average.

A CB wont win us games if we cant score.

Derko
01-28-2009, 10:06 PM
A Designated Player at CB?

We only scored 34 goals last year, well below the league average.
We allowed in 43 goals, which was about average.

A CB wont win us games if we cant score.

True, but how many points did TFC give up in the dying minutes of games, at least enough points to have taken us into the Post-Season.

TFC OZZ
01-28-2009, 10:07 PM
A DP is defined by the team that he is playing on and the support that team gets, simple as that. It's different for each team.

In our case, a DP would be defined as a talented player, making over $400,000, who contributes more to the team on the field than any other $400,000 or less player playing their position would.

For other teams, DP's are defined with an assortment of the following characteristics:
-Costs over $400,000
-Too talented to fit "comfortably" under the salary cap
-Increases leadership, and lends their experience
-Increases attendance
-Increases Merchandise sales
-Increases the LEAGUE's credibility

Derko
01-28-2009, 10:10 PM
DP is a player who would be impossible to sign under $400,000

simple.

I know that, but what type of player do you consider a DP, would you be happy if Landycakes were to sign as a DP to TFC, just hypothetical.

ExiledRed
01-28-2009, 10:10 PM
True, but how many points did TFC give up in the dying minutes of games, at least enough points to have taken us into the Post-Season.

Beside the point, if we were scoring more goals we would have won those games and been in the playoffs comfortably, as opposed to 'just'

ExiledRed
01-28-2009, 10:12 PM
I know that, but what type of player do you consider a DP, would you be happy if Landycakes were to sign as a DP to TFC, just hypothetical.

I wouldnt take Donovan for thirty roubles. But he is a DP because he costs more than $400,000

TFC OZZ
01-28-2009, 10:13 PM
I used to be completely against signing a CB as our DP, but I've actually changed my mind on this subject, and if TFC signed a good forward for less than DP money, I would love to see a Jimmy Conrad, or an Olaf Mellberg leading our defense.

Derko
A DP is defined by the team that he is playing on and the support that team gets, simple as that. It's different for each team.

In our case, a DP would be defined as a talented player, making over $400,000, who contributes more to the team on the field than any other $400,000 or less player playing their position would.

For other teams, DP's are defined with an assortment of the following characteristics:
-Costs over $400,000
-Increases attendance

I like your example for our case, which is where I was going with the question.
:thumbsup:

ginkster88
To me a DP is a WTF player, as in "WTF, how could he possibly come play in MLS, he's going to destroy the league."

TFC OZZ
01-28-2009, 10:14 PM
I wouldnt take Donovan for thirty roubles. But he is a DP because he costs more than $400,000

That's just ridiculous.

Derko
Beside the point, if we were scoring more goals we would have won those games and been in the playoffs comfortably, as opposed to 'just'

Good point.

Parkdale
A DP is a game winner.

What particular task he does to win the games is determined by a number of factors, and would be different for every team. Zidane or another 'Classic 10' would be a great DP without being a big goal scorer. Hell..... if a DP GK could give us a .500 shut out ratio, that could make all the difference, provided our offense could get the job done on the other end.

TFC OZZ
01-28-2009, 10:17 PM
A DP is a game winner.

What articular task he does to win the games is determined by a number of factors, and would be different for every team. Zidane or another 'Classic 10' would be a great DP without being a big goal scorer. Hell..... if a DP GK could give us a .500 shut out ratio, that could make all the difference, provided our offense could get the job done on the other end.

I can agree with that, and the fact that you don't have to score to be a game winner. As long as your contributions to the team give us a better chance of winning than any player making under $400,000.

But as an aside, assuming DeRo regains his previous good form, would you not say that he's also a game winner?

Derko
01-28-2009, 10:23 PM
I am hoping DeRo does regain his form and is the game winner in many a match!!

Ossington Mental Youth
01-28-2009, 10:25 PM
The effect they have on the team and the games they play vs their salary.

ExiledRed
01-28-2009, 10:25 PM
That's just ridiculous.

Is it? I can't see the guy fitting in here, he would be a primadonna and a cancer in the locker room.

MUFC_Niagara
01-28-2009, 10:32 PM

Leaking late goals is never "Beside the point"

Derko
01-28-2009, 10:33 PM
Is it? I can't see the guy fitting in here, he would be a primadonna and a cancer in the locker room.

I agree, but I was only being hypothetical, to get to how people are thinking as far as a DP goes.

andyc
01-28-2009, 10:57 PM
From my head: A DP is a player that TFC/MLSE has to pay for... I'm not being negative or MLSE bashing here, my point is all the other salary/allocations comes from the MLS bank account whereas a DP (above the $400k from the salary cap) is paid for by the club. For sure TFC are going to make 100% certain that this player can make a material difference to the clubs finances and hopefully success.

From my heart: A DP will contribute to the team on a whole different beautiful level. He'll burn memories in my brain that I will still talk about with a passion when I'm old and have the mad cow...

TFC OZZ
01-28-2009, 11:01 PM

Yes, I think it is.

I would take Donovan in a second. He has a host of achievements to his name that some soccer players only dream of, let alone MLS players.

Ya, I guess there may be a chance that he could be a bit of a pre-madonna, then again, so are a host of other attacking players in this league and around the world.

As far as calling him a cancer is concerned, I'm not quite sure how you figure that to be quite frank. I doubt that he'd be the USMNT national team captain, LA Galaxy Captain, and likely to sign with Bayern Munich to name a few, if that was the case.

The fact is, as a TFC supporter, I hate him just as much as anyone else here when he's playing for the Galaxy. However, if he were playing for us it would be a completely different story.

mighty_torontofc_2008
01-28-2009, 11:01 PM

-Costs over $400,000
-Increases attendance

DPs are also defined:
over the hill player looking for a continued playing career
ego inflated player who wont accept less to keep playing
floats and don't produce the goods.
makes the league look foolish..sometimes.

ExiledRed
01-28-2009, 11:14 PM
Yes, I think it is.

I would take Donovan in a second. He has a host of achievements to his name that some soccer players only dream of, let alone MLS players.

Alright, I'd take him for thirty roubles.

But not a kopek more.

Bars92
01-28-2009, 11:29 PM
Pele or Beckenbauer.

Oldtimer
01-29-2009, 09:06 AM
I'm glad you've started this thread, because I've been thinking about this for a while.

On a team, the effect of having a DP is a $450K hit to the salary cap.
Given that DeRo has signed for maximum non-DP money, his effect on the salary cap is the same as a DP.

If we signed a DP on top of DeRo, then we would have a $900K salary cap hit. Do we know another club where this has happened? Yep, the LA Galaxy.

I think that given we have DeRo at maximum salary, I would have to hate to dump our talented players for some no-names just so we could fit under the cap. the best thing would be to add non-DP players, at this point. Mo is doing the right thing to scout in cheaper leagues for under-paid talent. For example, having seen that Joe Public striker in action, I'd say that he has potential to be a good player (if given good coaching and a better team than Joe Public).

Now, if the league raises the cap significantly, or reduces the DP salary-cap hit, then we should start talking DP.:cool:

Cashcleaner
01-29-2009, 09:24 AM
Obviously, in the strictest sense of the term according to he league, a designated player is anyone signed by a team for any amount of their choosing with only $400,000 being counted against that team's salary cap.

Expanding on that point, I would argue that a DP is any player signed for a team that typically displays a calibre of talent and skill well above the average of the league and who's salary reflects that particular degree of quality on the pitch.

Of course, nothing is certain when we discuss DPs and their potential impact on a team, but as a generality, they are players who are signed with the intention to excel at whatever position they play in.

Parkdale
01-29-2009, 09:28 AM
DPs are also defined:
over the hill player looking for a continued playing career
ego inflated player who wont accept less to keep playing
floats and don't produce the goods.
makes the league look foolish..sometimes.

glad to see you're staying positive

rocker
01-29-2009, 09:34 AM
yes Oldtimer.. but the way Mojo uses the allocation money, you could lower the contracts of various players, which indirectly "lowers" De Rosario's salary (at least for a season) and thus makes the DP cap hit less onerous.

TFCREDNWHITE
01-29-2009, 10:13 AM
I'm glad you've started this thread, because I've been thinking about this for a while.

On a team, the effect of having a DP is a $450K hit to the salary cap.
Given that DeRo has signed for maximum non-DP money, his effect on the salary cap is the same as a DP.

If we signed a DP on top of DeRo, then we would have a $900K salary cap hit. Do we know another club where this has happened? Yep, the LA Galaxy.

Yeah but we had almost a million dollars in allocation that needed to be used!

TFCREDNWHITE
01-29-2009, 10:14 AM

Example of players that would be DP's...

GK:
1. Casillas (Real Madrid),
2. Buffon (Juve),
3. Cech (Chelsea),
4. Frey (Fiorentina),
5. Reina (Liverpool).

DR:
1. Ramos (Madrid),
2. Dani Alves (Barca),
3. Maicon (Inter),
4. Sagna (Arsenal),
5. Bosingwa (Chelsea).

DL:
1. Evra (Man United),
2. Clichy (Arsenal),
3. Lahm (Bayern),
4. Abidal (Barca),
5. Zambrotta (Milan).

DC:
1. Vidic (Man United),
2. Puyol (Barca),
3. Ferdinand (Man United),
4. Carvalho (Chelsea),
5. Legrotaglie (Juve).

ML/MR:
1. Messi (Barca),
2. Ronaldo (Man United),
3. Mancini (Inter),
4. Ribery (Bayern),
5. Robinho (City).

DM:
1. Cambiasso (Inter),
2. Essien (Chelsea),
3. Gattuso (Milan),
4. Mascherano (Liverpool),
5. Toure (Barca).

MC/AMC-
1. Kaka (Milan),
2. Gerrard (Liverpool),
3. Ronaldinho (Milan - best AMC, not as complete as the two above though),
4. Xavi (Barca),
5. Iniesta (Barca).

ST:
1. Henry (Barcelona),
2. Villa (Valencia),
3. Torres (Liverpool),
4. Rooney (Man United),
5. Zlatan (Inter).

Those would ALL be DP's!!!

TorontoBlades
01-29-2009, 11:36 AM
So all you TFC supporters out there, What really defines a DP?

:drinking:

what happened to the good old days on the board when the answer to this question would be....

....two girls, one cup!

Parkdale
01-29-2009, 11:44 AM
Example of players that would be DP's...

GK:
1. Casillas (Real Madrid),
2. Buffon (Juve),
3. Cech (Chelsea),
4. Frey (Fiorentina),
5. Reina (Liverpool).

DR:
1. Ramos (Madrid),
2. Dani Alves (Barca),
3. Maicon (Inter),
4. Sagna (Arsenal),
5. Bosingwa (Chelsea).

DL:
1. Evra (Man United),
2. Clichy (Arsenal),
3. Lahm (Bayern),
4. Abidal (Barca),
5. Zambrotta (Milan).

DC:
1. Vidic (Man United),
2. Puyol (Barca),
3. Ferdinand (Man United),
4. Carvalho (Chelsea),
5. Legrotaglie (Juve).

ML/MR:
1. Messi (Barca),
2. Ronaldo (Man United),
3. Mancini (Inter),
4. Ribery (Bayern),
5. Robinho (City).

DM:
1. Cambiasso (Inter),
2. Essien (Chelsea),
3. Gattuso (Milan),
4. Mascherano (Liverpool),
5. Toure (Barca).

MC/AMC-
1. Kaka (Milan),
2. Gerrard (Liverpool),
3. Ronaldinho (Milan - best AMC, not as complete as the two above though),
4. Xavi (Barca),
5. Iniesta (Barca).

ST:
1. Henry (Barcelona),
2. Villa (Valencia),
3. Torres (Liverpool),
4. Rooney (Man United),
5. Zlatan (Inter).

Those would ALL be DP's!!!

a DP doesn't have to come from the top 1% of current worldwide players.
There are lots of guys who could make a huge impact without being in that
upper echelon that you listed. There are lots of players outside that 'dream team'
would would be a great fit for us.

TFCREDNWHITE
01-29-2009, 11:52 AM
upper echelon that you listed. There are lots of players outside that 'dram team'

Absolutely, fully agree. Just providing a quick list of definite DP's....

Parkdale
01-29-2009, 11:58 AM
oh yeah... there's no question that Messi would be a great DP, but the odds of getting him are slim to none.

I'd be ecstatic with a slightly less well know player like Drogba, Anelka or Vieira

brad
01-29-2009, 02:48 PM
upper echelon that you listed. There are lots of players outside that 'dream team'

Schelotto comes to mind...

BFin
01-29-2009, 02:57 PM
"Question, what defines a DP?"

1) A Friday Night
2) A frat party
3) Roofie Colada

I believe that's a university recipe.

Cambridge_Red
01-29-2009, 03:02 PM
A DP is when one woman... whoops.. glad I just read the previous posts! :eek: