PDA

View Full Version : I feel this is IT. (roster)

ua-kozak_TFC
01-28-2009, 08:48 AM
For soem reason i have a feeling that this is IT. Meanina that beside Dero signing and the addition of Super Draft players, there will no changes in our squad atleast untl the season starts.
There has been "rumours" witth many players but i feel that if any positive progress had been made, we would have known it at this point. With the training camp a week or 2 away I feel that Mo has put a lock on his cash register.

To my likeing THIS as it is is not enough, to make a competitive squad... I mean we have not made a significant defensive mood and although there seems to be rumours that there are talks with other mls clubs to trade a CB. But i feel we won;t see any change until the now costumary 6-8 game into the season trades... Which then people say brings unstableness to the structure and somehow becomes a reason to excuse a bad season.

I remember last year people were so hyped by our draft picks.. and all including mo was saying that the drafts are ready to come in and make a contribution to the team James was highly regarded in the draft and even seemed to be a top Pick at moments. yet we all know their fate durign the year. that is why i am a bit skeptical with this years` additions.

I hope I am wrong, But i feel our shaky Diffence that let us down so many times last year. and our lack of goalscoring ability cannot be solved with the addition of Dero. Dero isn;t almighty, he might give us a hand with the goals but i don;t see it being as significant as we would need.

Detroit_TFC
01-28-2009, 09:08 AM
Looks like we giving Sutton all the heavy lifting on defense again. At least we'll have some back up for him, instead of relying on the league GK pool.

David_Oliveira
01-28-2009, 09:19 AM
I think we are a solid CB from being a serious contender

TFCREDNWHITE
01-28-2009, 09:25 AM
We are still missing a prolific goal scoring DP and a STRONG CB!!

If we don't get that, then we ain't gonna win shiiiit!

BuSaPuNk
01-28-2009, 09:29 AM

Completely agree. At the end of last season we were pretty much scoring at will and with the additon of DeRo we will pot more goals. Now we just need that one CB to come in and soildify our backline. Hopefully soon this can get done, if not hopefully Velez and Marshall can have a better year than last.

Beach_Red
01-28-2009, 09:31 AM
ExiledRed has convinced me that our defense is good enough for MLS - middle of the pack last year and no worse this year, probably better just for having played together longer.

Since the beginning of last season TFC added DeRo, Guevara, Ricketts, Barrett, Smith, Ibby and a few more. This is a much better team than last year.

It would be fine to wait and see who's available later in the season and pick someone up then.

MartinUtd
01-28-2009, 09:53 AM
I'd bet our DP comes mid season so it only counts for 200k on the cap. That way if its a multi year deal Mo won't have to worry about next season's salaries so much since the CBA is up for renegotiation.

Fort York Redcoat
01-28-2009, 09:59 AM
We are better than last year. I want more but we can play now.

supernothingman
01-28-2009, 10:42 AM

Agreed. I'm stunned that we've done nothing about a DP and a CB.

SLBuu
01-28-2009, 10:45 AM
it'll come..... eventually

H Bomb
01-28-2009, 10:46 AM
well my feelings are that mo is going to trade all of the midfielders in our team. Then he's going to replace them with only left footed wingers and try out the new 5 - 2 (very wide) -3 formation.

The question "are we ready" is reasonable but why is it that you think mo has closed the cash register? Past evidence shows that it doesn't ever get closed.

very strange, very strange indeed.

Parkdale
01-28-2009, 10:48 AM
on the books, we're better than last year. Let's see how it pans out.

Rudi
01-28-2009, 10:57 AM

Who was Columbus' prolific goal-scoring DP?

Parkdale
01-28-2009, 11:04 AM
Who was Columbus' prolific goal-scoring DP?

Schelotto

Barros Schelotto had a strong MLS season in 2008 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008_Major_League_Soccer_season), being chosen Player of the week four times, Player of the month once, and recording 19 assists and 7 goals during the regular season. He was awarded the Major League Soccer MVP (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Major_League_Soccer_MVP) on 20 November 2008 [2] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guillermo_Barros_Schelotto#cite_note-1). Barros Schelotto capped off his 2008 MLS campaign with an MVP performance in the 2008 MLS Cup (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008_MLS_Cup) which Columbus won 3-1 against New York Red Bulls (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_York_Red_Bulls) at the Home Depot Center (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Home_Depot_Center) on 23 November 2008, behind Barros Schelotto's 3 assists. He became the Crew's first ever Designated Player (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Designated_Player_Rule) on December 2, 2008[3] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guillermo_Barros_Schelotto#cite_note-2).

yes, 7 goals isn't a huge number, but 19 assists is a decent contribution.

Yohan
01-28-2009, 11:12 AM
He said goal scoring DP, not a playmaker ;)

ua-kozak_TFC
01-28-2009, 11:15 AM

I think you are right. We need sombody who knows how to order a defence it seems that all the problems that we had ;ast year isbecause we didn;t know how to positon our selves. Positioning has a big part to do with with the DEFENCE. We need a defender who can hold the line and knows when to press and when to give them space. Marshal although not bad on the technical ability. he has failed a few times on his decision making ability such as challenging a player too early and commiting himself to the floor which would make a huge hole in the defence that the little MLS experience of Velez couldn;t handle.

ua-kozak_TFC
01-28-2009, 11:19 AM
on the books, we're better than last year. Let's see how it pans out.

The fact that we are Better can;t be denied... But are we good enoughÉ The bar wasn;t set very high last year... so it;s not difficult to top.

Parkdale
01-28-2009, 11:20 AM

true, true, but 7 goals is still something. Better to have a striker that knows when to pass it off instead of one who hogs the ball and can't score himself.

MartinUtd
01-28-2009, 11:22 AM

Moreno had 9. Not a huge number, but they were a well rounded team.

Blizzard
01-28-2009, 11:23 AM
Schelotto

But Scheletto wasn't a DP!

Parkdale
01-28-2009, 11:30 AM
But Scheletto wasn't a DP!

yes he was. read the quote from wiki I just posted.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Designated_Player_Rule

Yohan
01-28-2009, 11:31 AM
There's still plenty of time before season begins. Hold your horses.

People are so impatient these days

ua-kozak_TFC
01-28-2009, 11:31 AM
true, true, but 7 goals is still something. Better to have a striker that knows when to pass it off instead of one who hogs the ball and can't score himself.
definetly I am not trying to down grade Dero`s addition It;s HUGE but in the whole skim of things you can;t expect that Dero will magically transform this team into a winner... There are many holes to cover in our squad...

Beach_Red
01-28-2009, 11:36 AM
I think you are right. We need sombody who knows how to order a defence it seems that all the problems that we had ;ast year isbecause we didn;t know how to positon our selves. Positioning has a big part to do with with the DEFENCE. We need a defender who can hold the line and knows when to press and when to give them space. Marshal although not bad on the technical ability. he has failed a few times on his decision making ability such as challenging a player too early and commiting himself to the floor which would make a huge hole in the defence that the little MLS experience of Velez couldn;t handle.

Really what we need is a Tebily who will stay for the whole season. I guess we have to find one who's divorced and needs to make alimony payments ;).

ua-kozak_TFC
01-28-2009, 11:42 AM

HAHAHAHAHA that what everybody said last season.. it was like there is still 2 month before the season starts there is still a month there still 2 weeks there is still a week... no reason to panic....It`s not like the past has prooven the contrary.

I don;t think anyone is impatient is not the word to describe it. LAst season i was impatient thsi season is more indifferent. Mo do want you want lets see what happens, but according to history changes during the season have not been as fruitful.``

What does bother me is that then he comes out and is like ooohh well you need time for the team to get use to the new player to gell and pretty much hapens after every aquisition and supousedly excuses all bad results. THEn if you think that our squad doesn;t adapt very fast to new players why don;t you do ALL aquisition before the season starts to don;t suffer bad results due to the adaptation in mid season.

Beach_Red
01-28-2009, 11:53 AM
THEn if you think that our squad doesn;t adapt very fast to new players why don;t you do ALL aquisition before the season starts to don;t suffer bad results due to the adaptation in mid season.

Come on, you know why not. You know it's not possible for an MLS team to do all its acquisition before the season starts. You have to be opportunistic in this league where you can't solve your problems by simply throwing money at them.

When last season started we had half a team, this year we have over three quarters of a team.

But you're right, this year needs to be a big improvement. Five years from start-up to championship isn't too long, but every year needs to be better than the last to make that happen. This year needs to be a playoff team.

TFCREDNWHITE
01-28-2009, 11:54 AM

I've been patient for the last 2 years, I also give them this year to sign a DP and get a good quality CB and make a strong challenge for the Supporters Sheild....

If they don't, then see ya later...my devotion will be scaled back dramatically!!

and by devotion i mean my hard earned dollars.:rolleyes:

mclaren
01-28-2009, 11:54 AM
Dero was a good first start but sadly it appears that MLSE feels the masses will be sated with this one signing. For me, it certainly isn't enough but I'm sure there are plenty of fans out there who will settle for another mediocre season. We need at least three more quality players to have a chance of making the playoffs. Our central defence is a complete shambles.

TFCREDNWHITE
01-28-2009, 12:02 PM
Hows this for pick ups and they haven't even played there first game yet!!!

Alonso, Osvaldo

Ianni, Patrick

Jaqua, Nate

Keller, Kasey

Ljungberg, Freddie

Nyassi, Sanna

Parke, Jeff

Vagenas, Peter

Zakuani, Steve

Head Coach: Sigi Schmid

FluSH
01-28-2009, 12:04 PM
not sure if this was mentioned before... but MO Johnston was quoted as saying that DeRO "will be the most significant signing that TFC will have in the next 3-4yrs"

so to me that translates into no significant DP, but maybe a few additions along the way.

canadian_bhoy
01-28-2009, 12:05 PM
With the exception of DeRo, so far this is a similar scenario to last off-season.

I think Mo did a fantastic job getting DeRo, but if we walk into Kansas City with no further additions, I will be dissapointed.

According to Mo, there are some talented players coming into camp that will challenge existing starters. That excites me and I'm willing to wait till gameday before making any judgements

Parkdale
01-28-2009, 12:08 PM
.... and I'm willing to wait till gameday before making any judgements

that's crazy talk.

let's plan a protest!
Let's burn down BMO!
Let's kidnap Henry's family and force him to play for us!
We clearly have to act now.

:rolleyes:

actually, I'm happy to wait and see what we get on the field.
It boggles my mind that some people seem to think that the
DeRo signing was just a way for "mlse to appease us"
without actually thinking that the club honestly wants to win.

ua-kozak_TFC
01-28-2009, 12:11 PM

Alonso, Osvaldo

Ianni, Patrick

Jaqua, Nate

Keller, Kasey

Ljungberg, Freddie

Nyassi, Sanna

Parke, Jeff

Vagenas, Peter

Zakuani, Steve

you are forgetting Montero... the colombian guy.
i hope they kick ass this year just to shame TFCs management, and to show it CAN be done... and you don;t need to SUCK for so long before putting a good team on the field....
which i feel isn;t always extremely eager to put a good product on the field. And it seems to me are looking to miximize profits with minimum investment, too keep the fans hooked by least ammount of effort.

ua-kozak_TFC
01-28-2009, 12:17 PM
that's crazy talk.

let's plan a protest!
Let's burn down BMO!

well I am not saying that they are making a LOSING team on purpose... I just don;t feel that their eagernes to reward the BEST fans in the league with a winning team is proportional to the entusiasm of their fans about this club.

Super
01-28-2009, 12:17 PM
We were promised a DP in year 3. I'm waiting for management to live up to that promise.

Also, we need a CB.

Beach_Red
01-28-2009, 12:20 PM
We were promised a DP in year 3. I'm waiting for management to live up to that promise.

Also, we need a CB.

I'm just curious, would you have been happy with Freddy Ljungberg?

Have any other DPs been signed this off season?

canadian_bhoy
01-28-2009, 12:27 PM
If Mo is going to pick up some more players - (which he needs to do), he needs to sign them before the season starts. This crap last year with Guevara, Tebily and Robert doesn't work. Sure - get them in when you can, but ideally, we need them prior to the season.

Getting your feet wet should happen in pre-season, not on gameday

TFCREDNWHITE
01-28-2009, 12:32 PM
If Mo is going to pick up some more players - (which he needs to do), he needs to sign them before the season starts. This crap last year with Guevara, Tebily and Robert doesn't work. Sure - get them in when you can, but ideally, we need them prior to the season.

+1 agreed!

Oldtimer
01-28-2009, 12:37 PM
I'm okay with waiting a bit for a striker, but our D needs shoring up before pre-season.

Beach_Red
01-28-2009, 01:28 PM

Yeah, yeah, we all feel that way, but it's not the way this league works. I don't know why anyone would expect the roster to be set before the season starts in the MLS with a schedule that doesn't line up with the rest of the world.

Besides, this is a playoff league, you can treat the first five games like the preseason, you don't have to win the most games you have to win the right games.

You can win the first 20 games of the season, but if you lose the first round of the playoffs it doesn't matter. We can bitch about that all we want, but right now it's the way it is so the team has to set its strategies with that in mind - playoffs and cup.

And let's face it, the team has had plenty of conversations with player agents and has a very good idea who's considering coming here at the end of whatever season they're in now.

This is a good core and they have time to add the two players needed. Don't panic ;).

akoto
01-28-2009, 01:28 PM
yes he was. read the quote from wiki I just posted.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Designated_Player_Rule

Schelotto wasn't a DP last year. He is this year though.

http://www.soccerbyives.net/soccer_by_ives/2008/12/schelotto-returning-to-crew-in-2009.html

mclaren
01-28-2009, 01:29 PM
that's crazy talk.

let's plan a protest!
Let's burn down BMO!

This is a typical answer from the easily pleased. I remember hearing the same talk last year about waiting to see what happens with signings and nothing materialised. I hope they prove me wrong but let's be honest - their track record in pre-season signings is pretty horrendous. We were all waiting last year and Columbus came along without any improvements.

TFCREDNWHITE
01-28-2009, 01:35 PM
Schelotto wasn't a DP last year. He is this year though.

http://www.soccerbyives.net/soccer_by_ives/2008/12/schelotto-returning-to-crew-in-2009.html

Maybe technically!

But we all know that he is a DP!!

Hitcho
01-28-2009, 01:39 PM
I don't understand all this talk of "get me this type of player or I scale back my investment in the team". What kind of support is that? Either you back the club for being your club of choice, or you are basically making your support into a commercial relationship!

For me, I'd love to see a designated poacher and a top CB come into the squad because I think then we'll be real title contenders. But no matter what TFC is my team and I won't stop supporting them because "they promised me a DP and he's not here yet". What if we win the league without a DP? Still gonna jump ship?!

As the squad stands right now, I think we're play off material. And once we get that far who knows how it will go? Look at the shite bulls last season and just think of the atmosphere inside BMO Field for the first play off game - who's going to fancy coming to our house with that atmosphere?

We all hope to see the team and squad developed as much as they can be, but you can't put a gun to your own club's head and demand your fix or you're off.

TORONTO TILL I DIE!!!!!!!

TFCREDNWHITE
01-28-2009, 01:55 PM
I don't understand all this talk of "get me this type of player or I scale back my investment in the team". What kind of support is that? Either you back the club for being your club of choice, or you are basically making your support into a commercial relationship!

For me, I'd love to see a designated poacher and a top CB come into the squad because I think then we'll be real title contenders. But no matter what TFC is my team and I won't stop supporting them because "they promised me a DP and he's not here yet". What if we win the league without a DP? Still gonna jump ship?!

As the squad stands right now, I think we're play off material. And once we get that far who knows how it will go? Look at the shite bulls last season and just think of the atmosphere inside BMO Field for the first play off game - who's going to fancy coming to our house with that atmosphere?

We all hope to see the team and squad developed as much as they can be, but you can't put a gun to your own club's head and demand your fix or you're off.

What if we don't!?

Anyways your missing my point, i'll still watch them and probably go to a couple of games, but as it stands right now:

Seasons tickets cost me: $1700/ per pair.

Concessions and bevarages: $80 per game x 15 = $1200

Merchandise: Last year i spent $750 for 2 people

Misc: $500

Total approx: $4200

Now i don't know about you, but i'm not rich. I have to earn about $6000 in order for me to take home $4200...

All i'm saying is that i have expectations for this year and if they are not met, then i will cut my spending by 75% next year. Thats a lot of money saved!!

oh yeah Toronto FC until they BANKRUPT ME!! (i mean till i die!)

Rudi
01-28-2009, 01:55 PM
Maybe technically!

Either way, Columbus had no "goal-scoring DP" last year and they won the double. That was my point.

akoto
01-28-2009, 02:12 PM
Maybe technically!

Technicalities are important in this league. I know what Rudi was getting at and I agree, just pointing out the facts.

TFCREDNWHITE
01-28-2009, 02:17 PM
Technicalities are important in this league. I know what Rudi was getting at and I agree, just pointing out the facts.

Well i know what parky was getting at...just sayin':p

mighty_torontofc_2008
01-28-2009, 02:18 PM
Agreed. I'm stunned that we've done nothing about a DP and a CB.

A DP we don;t need and with LUCK TFC will Never go after one....Our defence will be fine im sure another player will be brought in during camp.

AL-MO
01-28-2009, 02:20 PM
A DP we don;t need and with LUCK TFC will Never go after one....Our defence will be fine im sure another player will be brought in during camp.

So you don't want to see another World Class player brought into this team?

I can see the day. "Toronto FC sign ______ as their Designated Player"

And you doing this: :taz:

ua-kozak_TFC
01-28-2009, 02:23 PM

I think you are wrong ... WHYÉ
Because that is the type of thinking you can use on established teams like AC milan, real M, Barca man U etc... teams with hystory of management which bleed and live for their team...where their teams is their family it;s part of them.

THe management of Toronto FC has to show the same TFC till I die actitude about this team and treat it with passion and heart. And not a buisness model.

if fans feel that they are used for economic puposes and they don;t see their commitment to the team represented in the management they haev all the right to do what they want.

My point is that MLSE and TFC Management MUST show that they are FOR REAL about this club. and the feeling of passion and fraternity is for the Soccer CLub and everything it stands for. And not passion for the money.

Hitcho
01-28-2009, 03:05 PM
What if we don't!?

Anyways your missing my point, i'll still watch them and probably go to a couple of games, but as it stands right now:

Seasons tickets cost me: $1700/ per pair.

Concessions and bevarages: $80 per game x 15 = $1200

Merchandise: Last year i spent $750 for 2 people

Misc: $500

Total approx: $4200

Now i don't know about you, but i'm not rich. I have to earn about $6000 in order for me to take home $4200...

All i'm saying is that i have expectations for this year and if they are not met, then i will cut my spending by 75% next year. Thats a lot of money saved!!

oh yeah Toronto FC until they BANKRUPT ME!! (i mean till i die!)

Well, that's a lot of money. But I don't agree that your level of commitment to a club is directly proportional to how much momey you spend. Spending 1200 bones on concessions is neither here nor there when it comes to supporting a team! I know die hard south end fans who never spend a dime on concessions, even though they have the money to do so.

Anyway, what you spend is up to you, I'm not questioning it. All I'm saying is that any attempt to correlate your level of support with whether or not a DP is signed by the team seems misguided to me. That's not what sport is about, at least not to me. If your attitude is "sign a DP or I'm not going to the games" then you've made supporting your club about how much money they spend, rather than supporting them BECAUSE they're your club. Just my opinion.

Hitcho
01-28-2009, 03:15 PM
Because that is the type of thinking you can use on established teams like AC milan, real M, Barca man U etc... teams with hystory of management which bleed and live for their team...where their teams is their family it;s part of them.

THe management of Toronto FC has to show the same TFC till I die actitude about this team and treat it with passion and heart. And not a buisness model.

if fans feel that they are used for economic puposes and they don;t see their commitment to the team represented in the management they haev all the right to do what they want.

My point is that MLSE and TFC Management MUST show that they are FOR REAL about this club. and the feeling of passion and fraternity is for the Soccer CLub and everything it stands for. And not passion for the money.

Are you serious?!

So unless I support an "established club" I should be making demands and threatening to take my support elsewhere if they are not met?

And what about clubs like Liverpool - should all their fans swap to chelsea because abramovich has spent more moeny on players recently and the american owners are makign a mess of things? And you're telling me that the glazers "bleed" for man utd are you?

What you propose is the classic glory seeking plastic fan approach. maybe you should become an LAG fan and see where that gets you!

tfc
01-28-2009, 03:18 PM
Well, that's a lot of money. But I don't agree that your level of commitment to a club is directly proportional to how much momey you spend. Spending 1200 bones on concessions is neither here nor there when it comes to supporting a team! I know die hard south end fans who never spend a dime on concessions, even though they have the money to do so.

Anyway, what you spend is up to you, I'm not questioning it. All I'm saying is that any attempt to correlate your level of support with whether or not a DP is signed by the team seems misguided to me. That's not what sport is about, at least not to me. If your attitude is "sign a DP or I'm not going to the games" then you've made supporting your club about how much money they spend, rather than supporting them BECAUSE they're your club. Just my opinion.

I support MAN CITY ALL THE WAY and I know their commitment to the team because they are willing to spend $200mm on Kaka. They are the most committed FA EVER. Forget that they are making the club look like a joke, my support has grown because they are willing to spend more.

pshh why would you ever base your support on an actual emotional commitment to your team? :rolleyes::drinking::noidea:

Beach_Red
01-28-2009, 03:19 PM

Okay, I admit I don't follow European football, but what I see are a lot of billionaire egos. Sure, it would be great if some billionaire bought TFC and it played in a league with no salary cap, but I think you're overestimating the amount of "blood" going into these teams. Maybe that's history now, replaced with nothing but money.

TFCREDNWHITE
01-28-2009, 03:22 PM
Well i can still have a certain level of commitment without all that money spent next year...

Why shouldn't i look at my budget and financial concerns? TFC constantly monitors there own finances, i control my money, which is exactly what MLSE is after "our" money.

Cashcleaner
01-28-2009, 03:28 PM
We are better than last year. I want more but we can play now.

My sentiments exactly. The squad is shaping up well, but we still have quite a way to go to be contenders for the Supporters Shield. As long as we can stay relatively healthy, playoffs are not beyond the realm of possibility.

Phil
01-28-2009, 03:33 PM
I think the squad is able to go right now but there are a lot of things up in the air - defense and strikers are the two biggest. If they come out of the gate and get some confidence I feel the squad will be competitive, however if they come out flat for the first few games then the winds of change will be blowing pretty hard.
With the depth at midfield they are feeling that they can control and dictate games from there. Failure will mean movement from there to the back and upfront positions. It will be intresting in pre-season to see how they use their formations in mid field and how other teams adapt.

Hitcho
01-28-2009, 03:33 PM
Well i can still have a certain level of commitment without all that money spent next year...

Agree completely, and now we're on the same page. Spending less money doesn't make you less of a fan. You don't have to ride the MLSE gravy train to be a TFC fan. But by the same token, you can't demand that MLSE spend a certain amount of money on a DP in order to keep you as a fan. :hump:

Detroit_TFC
01-28-2009, 03:36 PM
I much rather not have a DP than get a DP at any cost and have that guy be a dud.

Luanda
01-28-2009, 03:40 PM

Also, we need a CB.

In either cases, what I want is a "working class hero" type.

TFCREDNWHITE
01-28-2009, 03:51 PM
Agree completely, and now we're on the same page. Spending less money doesn't make you less of a fan. You don't have to ride the MLSE gravy train to be a TFC fan. But by the same token, you can't demand that MLSE spend a certain amount of money on a DP in order to keep you as a fan. :hump:

Agreed.

I will say though, that when MLSE is making money/profits hand over fist, and they continue to finish last, 3rd last, or even 8th overall I will be very suspect in the regards of "Where the hell is our money going?"

There were about 3 or 4 times last year when i was pulling my hair out watching what seemed to be a bunch of amateurs on the field! I was so close to writing of the entire league with their "mickey mouse" approach to sooooo many things...

Unfortunately, i do agree that passion has to be at the basis of all commitment, but shit, when i spent close to $5000 last year, i seem to get a bit angry at the FO...

Hitcho
01-28-2009, 05:11 PM
^ Haha, well I feel your pain there for sure. I think we all feel that though and no-one wants to be taken for a ride. Still, have faith. The squad now compared to this time last season is vastly improved. Even if no-one else comes I think we'll be i the play offs this season and, like I said, no-one is going to fancy a trip to BMO Field for our first ever play off game.

tfc
01-28-2009, 09:35 PM
the RR stays thread has RR saying a number of changes will be made soon ... he knows something we don't!!! :hump:

supernothingman
01-29-2009, 02:23 PM
The whole thing is a asinine. What would MLSE gain by spending cash? More season ticket holders? More people on the waiting list? More merchandise sales?

MLSE is a corporation. They will not spend money until it provides them a positive financial implication. A slight increase in merchandise sales will not off-set the monies spent on a DP.

Fort York Redcoat
01-29-2009, 02:36 PM
I'm getting my DeRo shirt regardless of the dp. Unless it's JDG.

Jeffro
01-29-2009, 02:39 PM
I think reading this thread made my brain bleed

TFCREDNWHITE
01-29-2009, 02:44 PM
The whole thing is a asinine. What would MLSE gain by spending cash? More season ticket holders? More people on the waiting list? More merchandise sales?

MLSE is a corporation. They will not spend money until it provides them a positive financial implication. A slight increase in merchandise sales will not off-set the monies spent on a DP.

Well, you need to stop stuffing MLSE's pockets with your hard earned cash!

I for one will definitely revist all my expenses as the year progresses. Also based on how satisfied i am with MLSE, The MLSE Board, Tom Anselmi, and MoJo to a certain extent, i will re-evaluate all expenses at the end of the upcoming MLS season.

I figure, i can dramatically cut my TFC costs by 75%-80% and still be a dedicated and loyal fan.

supernothingman
01-29-2009, 03:04 PM
Well, you need to stop stuffing MLSE's pockets with your hard earned cash!

I for one will definitely revist all my expenses as the year progresses. Also based on how satisfied i am with MLSE, The MLSE Board, Tom Anselmi, and MoJo to a certain extent, i will re-evaluate all expenses at the end of the upcoming MLS season.

I figure, i can dramatically cut my TFC costs by 75%-80% and still be a dedicated and loyal fan.

Preaching to the converted, brother.

Regardless of the level of football or class of players, as my home-town team, I will support them to no end. But I will adjust my financial support based on their financial output.

ExiledRed
01-29-2009, 05:11 PM
Kozak,

Can you please change your keyboard settings from "canadian multilingual" to "US"

thankyou

Suljazz
01-31-2009, 01:34 PM
The centre back i believe is needed in the squad is not exactly the hard nosed workman type player that some would like. I think that Robinson, Cronin, and Harmse can fill that hard nosed role... I would like to see someone who can really be vocal, organize, and look up and move the ball to what it seems everyone agrees on is a very talented midfield.

This is a characteristic i think is lacking in the squad we have now, something velez, and marshall are just not able to provide.

Jeffro
01-31-2009, 01:51 PM
Kozak,

Can you please change your keyboard settings from "canadian multilingual" to "US"

thankyou

Uh why?? We're in Canada, and a lot of us are multilingual

magpie55
01-31-2009, 02:50 PM
Maybe we are all a bit too hung up on this DP thing. DP's on other teams have had mixed success so we need the right fit if we're going to go that route. I like the noises that Mo has been making about not bringing in an older has-been but rather a younger got-something-to-prove player. Besides, we really need a decent central defender more than anything else.

S_D
01-31-2009, 04:28 PM
Just as at the beginning of last season I had my concerns that the back line had to be settled and have time together, and we saw what a shambles it was when the season opened, and I have the same concerns this season.

Having defenders not familiar with each other (if a new one is brought in) is much more detrimental to a team rather than say a new forward or midfielder. If they screw up, well you miss a chance at keeping posession or a shot. When the defenders screw up it can end up as a goal.

If Mo intends on bring in a new CB, the faster the better, and I am sure Mo and JC think the same thing. But so do all of the clubs in the MLS. I bet the asking price for a decent MLS CB is pretty high, and I bet right now they are asking for more than say an Edwards.

If this is the case, then selling the farm for one is the wrong idea. I bet if there is a team who a few games in realizes that their keeper is crap (Chivas?) they may be more willing to deal.

What I do find a little concerning though is the thought that hey we are better than we were last year. Unfortunatley, most of the other teams in the MLS are getting better every season too. If we want that supporters shield, TFC has to improve more and faster than other teams in the MLS, not just keep up with them or we are destined for seasons in the basement.

Flipityflu
02-01-2009, 03:19 AM
i think we can make a push. i wanted a dp striker right up to getting dero. at that point, i was happy to see us not going that direction. i'd like to see another cb join, but i truly believe that we will win games with those we have.

Ossington Mental Youth
02-01-2009, 06:27 AM
A small part of me thinks this may be it and its ok but i dont think we will make it to the playoffs unless there is a distinct improvement from our Centrebacks. As a result i hope Im wrong and I hope Mo proves me wrong and brings in another striker and that leader type centreback to shore up defense. We still have a month and a half before the season starts and even more time before the window closes, so we have plenty of time but it would be nice to have all our players in place before the season starts. I guess we will see with practice in florida (i think) coming up

ExiledRed
02-01-2009, 08:24 AM
Uh why?? We're in Canada, and a lot of us are multilingual

That doesn't mean that using È instead of " is valid.

US keyboard is merely default for generic 'english' characters and punctuation, not a political choice.

Big Bruva
02-01-2009, 01:04 PM
definetly I am not trying to down grade Dero`s addition It;s HUGE but in the whole skim of things you can;t expect that Dero will magically transform this team into a winner... There are many holes to cover in our squad...

Exactly, a lot of people are easily satisfied and there is no one that can convince me that the defence does not need at least 1-2 good additions to make a real push for the cup.

The likes of Velez, Marshall etc should be fighting it out for "the other" CB spot.

Big Bruva
02-01-2009, 01:06 PM
Looks very good to me and looks like someone at that club ha put some work in lol

I wanna see how many matches Freddie plays though.

Alonso, Osvaldo

Ianni, Patrick

Jaqua, Nate

Keller, Kasey

Ljungberg, Freddie

Nyassi, Sanna

Parke, Jeff

Vagenas, Peter

Zakuani, Steve

Broadview
02-01-2009, 01:06 PM
The likes of Velez, Marshall etc should be fighting it out for "the other" CB spot.

Do tell...timeline oh mighty BB?

Lucky Strike
02-01-2009, 01:10 PM
Kozak,

thankyou

Seriously? You're going to hassle him for having a typo caused by the fact that he uses a different keyboard layout? I often disagree with Kozak but come on, this is retarded. I have a French Canadian layout, is that OK with you? Will you be able to live with yourself? Get back to the topic at hand!

Lucky Strike
02-01-2009, 01:14 PM
Exactly, a lot of people are easily satisfied and there is no one that can convince me that the defence does not need at least 1-2 good additions to make a real push for the cup.

Ideally, Velez should be gone and Marshall fighting for 3rd on the depth chart. I'm really looking forward to getting new CBs.

Cambridge_Red
02-01-2009, 01:18 PM
Our defence and strikers haven't been improved, we're not ready.

trane
02-01-2009, 01:43 PM

Parky, I hate the fucker, but I am with you 7 goals, and 19 assists, means that he has contributed to 26 goals in the season. I will take that. A healthy Dichio for twenty games gould easily score 10 with that type of service as could Barrett.

rocker
02-01-2009, 02:43 PM

Alonso, Osvaldo

Ianni, Patrick

Jaqua, Nate

Keller, Kasey

Ljungberg, Freddie

Nyassi, Sanna

Parke, Jeff

Vagenas, Peter

Zakuani, Steve

And your point is? we already have players who are as good or better than most of these guys.

Nyassi has done nothing (he's not the Nyassi who played for New England). Parke hasn't signed. Vagenas is overpaid by a mile and LA fans hated him. Ianni didn't play regularly with Houston. Osvaldo is a nobody from Charleston Battery. Zakuani is a college guy.. who knows with those dudes..(and O'Brien White scored more goals in 2007 than Zakuani did in 2008, so if you think that's a good addition to Seattle then you must think White is a good addition to TFC). Ljungberg is hurt, like always, and coming off surgery.

The only guys I might want from that list are Keller and Jacqua. But Barrett is as good as Jacqua and Keller is gettin old. Parke would be good, but then you'd have to deal with his drug suspension missed games.

ExiledRed
02-01-2009, 08:36 PM
Seriously? You're going to hassle him for having a typo caused by the fact that he uses a different keyboard layout? I often disagree with Kozak but come on, this is retarded. I have a French Canadian layout, is that OK with you? Will you be able to live with yourself? Get back to the topic at hand!

Seriously, you think I was hassling the guy?

And I thought I was the touchy one.

The truth is, some of Kozak's posts are hard enough to read, I felt it would help if he got rid of the accents, because I don't think he intended them to be there in the first place.

So anyway....

ExiledRed
02-01-2009, 08:44 PM
The only guys I might want from that list are Keller and Jacqua.

Jacqua practically threatened to kill himself if we didn't trade him back to a sunnier place, after our expansion draft. We couldn't have him.

Lucky Strike
02-01-2009, 09:14 PM
Seriously, you think I was hassling the guy?

And I thought I was the touchy one.

The truth is, some of Kozak's posts are hard enough to read, I felt it would help if he got rid of the accents, because I don't think he intended them to be there in the first place.

So anyway....

What would you like to call it then? Bother, annoy, pester, get on his case? It's one thing to suggest he ought to take better care of his typing skills, but it's quite another to tell him to change his personal settings on his own computer at his home/work just for your convenience.

ExiledRed
02-01-2009, 09:29 PM
What would you like to call it then? Bother, annoy, pester, get on his case? It's one thing to suggest he ought to take better care of his typing skills, but it's quite another to tell him to change his personal settings on his own computer at his home/work just for your convenience.

Mate, you're just being ridiculous, it's a case of clicking the little keyboard icon in the lower right corner of the screen, and selecting from a dropdown menu. Mine keeps changing, probably due to an unknown keyboard shortcut, and I thought maybe that happened to Kozak too, and he was unaware how to fix it.

Now you ARE hassling me, please give it a rest.

LucaGol
02-01-2009, 09:32 PM
I'm pretty surprised at how comfortable most people are with our current team.

I guess memory's of horrific away performances, impotency in goal scoring for long painful stretches, and colossal defensive blunders that we all experienced with this team last season have already vapourized into thin air.

What is one player (DeRo) going to do to solve all the woes of last year?

Newsflash ... the team we currently have is the same team we suffered with last season.

Draft picks who no one's ever seen play before and an aging Dwayne De Rosario (who will join several other +30 year olds in the squad) does not morph our team into a contender.

Much work still has to be done.

ExiledRed
02-01-2009, 09:44 PM
Newsflash ... the team we currently have is the same team we suffered with last season.

I would agree we've not strengthened the team to it's fullest, I want a name up front myself, yet it's also true that the team we had last season was never fully fit or available.

Without the absurd international callups and the run of bad luck injuries, we would have finished better.

Lucky Strike
02-01-2009, 09:44 PM
Mate, you're just being ridiculous, it's a case of clicking the little keyboard icon in the lower right corner of the screen, and selecting from a dropdown menu. Mine keeps changing, probably due to an unknown keyboard shortcut, and I thought maybe that happened to Kozak too, and he was unaware how to fix it.

Now you ARE hassling me, please give it a rest.

Perhaps so, but you never actually told him how to do it, you just flat out told him to do it. Insulting me won't help the situation and if you really want to put it to rest, then you're better off not replying, aren't you?:noidea:

poppamidnight
02-01-2009, 10:50 PM
by no means should anyone think we're close to being done....

I still think two of these salaries will need to be moved, and a solid CB and striker brought in

Tyronne - $150,000+
Sutton - $150,000+
Harmse - $72,000

Since Tyronne's our best CB, i think all signs point to Sutton and Harmse moved

tfc
02-01-2009, 10:54 PM
by no means should anyone think we're close to being done....

I still think two of these salaries will need to be moved, and a solid CB and striker brought in

Tyronne - $150,000+
Sutton - $150,000+
Harmse - $72,000

Since Tyronne's our best CB, i think all signs point to Sutton and Harmse moved

Why would we trade Sutton?! He's our only solid goalkeeper, there is no way i'd want frei in there straight out of college. i'd rather drop edwards

Ossington Mental Youth
02-01-2009, 11:03 PM
we wont trade Sutton or Harmse.
IF we did itd be Harmse over Sutton, Sutton will be here until the end of his career.
I realize some people dont like Sutton but its not at all realistic to rid of him let alone replace him with two young inexperienced goalies regardless of the hype surrounding one or both of them

Ossington Mental Youth
02-01-2009, 11:04 PM
Even Harmse isnt going hes cheap, canadian and a utility player.
If anyone goes itll be Edwards and maybe Marshall, thatll prob be it for the season.

ExiledRed
02-01-2009, 11:38 PM
Perhaps so, but you never actually told him how to do it, you just flat out told him to do it. Insulting me won't help the situation and if you really want to put it to rest, then you're better off not replying, aren't you?:noidea:

Welcome to my rapidly expanding ignore list....

quite unneccessary, sorry if you felt insulted.

ExiledRed
02-01-2009, 11:56 PM
Even Harmse isnt going hes cheap, canadian and a utility player.
If anyone goes itll be Edwards and maybe Marshall, thatll prob be it for the season.

I'm not sure if Harmse has anywhere to go anyway. You are right though, he remains an asset on this squad, albeit a small one.

Lucky Strike
02-02-2009, 08:23 AM
Welcome to my rapidly expanding ignore list....

quite unneccessary, sorry if you felt insulted.

Though it's probably sarcastic, I'll take it in good faith. :lol:

poppamidnight
02-03-2009, 12:29 AM
Why would we trade Sutton?! He's our only solid goalkeeper, there is no way i'd want frei in there straight out of college. i'd
rather drop edwards

Percisely why you quoted me:

His salary is why we'd trade him. Frei is a highly touted Gen. Adidas, Edwards is pocket change.

MLS is a salary-cap leauge, you need cap-room to make moves.

....i mean c'mon, no offense or anything but why would you ask such a silly question when you just QUOTED the evidence?

Damn man, if your so :drinking::drinking::drinking:gone that you dont even understand yourself how are you typing?

ua-kozak_TFC
02-05-2009, 10:50 PM
there seem to be a lot of talk lately... about new playters coming in... but it seems to me that all "player talks are just empty words. since there are no concrete names. People assume it;s vitti but i donno, for some reason it seems unlikely..

One would think that if there is really something going on... it would have been leaked out. So yea it would be nice to see some additions to the roster.

But if not, i guess will see whether we are ready or not, once we start playing games.....

Ossington Mental Youth
02-05-2009, 10:55 PM
i think we will hear in the next too weeks.
Im not as skeptical as you with regards to Vitti, i do think hes on the map, its just a matter of getting that signature. I do agree there has been no info leaks and that does make one suspicious but there are no doubts where we have to strengthen if we are to make a play off run this year. Id really like to hear more talk about potential CBs to put me at ease to be honest

Ossington Mental Youth
02-05-2009, 10:56 PM
Dont forget we are having trials for players while training in florida

Azerban
02-05-2009, 10:58 PM
One would think that if there is really something going on... it would have been leaked out. So yea it would be nice to see some additions to the roster.

why would you believe this? i offer the dero signing as counterproof.

Beach_Red
02-05-2009, 11:00 PM

Didn't Robert and Tebily just show up out of nowhere last year? Really, all this team needs to be a solid contender this year is a Tebily who actually plays the whole year.

giambac
02-06-2009, 03:47 PM
Didn't Robert and Tebily just show up out of nowhere last year? Really, all this team needs to be a solid contender this year is a Tebily who actually plays the whole year.

Yeah and awasn't it an awesome job they did for us:noidea:

If we get more of the same we are in trouble........

But then again it can't get much worse than last year .:drinking:

ccopela
02-06-2009, 04:02 PM
But then again it can't get much worse than last year .:drinking:

The first year was worse.

Beach_Red
02-06-2009, 04:03 PM
^ I guess now the contracts need to include a "p-whipped" clause in case the wife doesn't like it here.

But you do get how new teams in low-ranked leagues don't get to be picky, how that only comes later, right?

trane
02-06-2009, 04:20 PM
if this is it, we are in shit.

Alright I am exagerating to ensure the ryhme, but realy we are not done yet. We have upgraded our midfield, yet again,which is great. But CB, is a concern, and we can use a Striker.