PDA

View Full Version : Concussion effect 'spans decades'

Oldtimer
01-27-2009, 10:32 PM
I feel bad about Greg Sutton's concussion when I read this:

Concussion effect 'spans decades'

People concussed in their youth show subtle signs of mental and physical problems even more than 30 years later, say Canadian researchers.
The study, published in the journal Brain, found athletes with a history of concussion had worse physical and mental test scores.
The researchers stressed these minor changes did not affect day-to-day life.
Experts said minor head injury recovery could be slow, but this was the first hint of a longer-lasting effect.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/7851800.stm

stretchthetruth
01-27-2009, 10:33 PM
i've had a couple of concussions... i dont think me any stupider from havings it...

TheHollister
01-27-2009, 10:40 PM
i've had a couple of concussions... i dont think me any stupider from havings it...
I've had a few too and I'm still smrt.

Parkdale
01-27-2009, 10:44 PM
when I'm old and dumb, I'll have lots more to blame outside of concussions.

ExiledRed
01-27-2009, 10:56 PM
Boxers get it the worst.

I am still awed by guys like Lennox Lewis and Chris Eubank, who seemed to avoid it.

Carts
01-27-2009, 11:08 PM
I feel bad about Greg Sutton's concussion when I read this:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/7851800.stm

It is something to feel bad about...

We all like to joke about concussions etc. We've all heard the "i've had a few" lines etc etc, but...

Serious Post Concussion Syndrome (PCS) can be debilitating and completely affect or destroy your life, like any other serious illness...

The effects can be cumulative or caused by a serious concussion...

One thing people fail to realize about a very serious concussion is that the scar left on your brain is active tissue - that active tissue can continue to grow until its know by a more common phrase, a tumor - aka brain cancer...

Many treatments are there, everything from medication to surgery and everything in the middle...

Far too often doctors throw around the term 'concussion' when someone takes a good shot to the head - when in reality they have no idea if that shot actually caused your brain to impact your skull (or vice versa) and leave an injury to the brain to cause the side-effects. A cat-scan gives them a very good reading, an MRI of your brain gives them a 100% reading (if read right) - or blood work several weeks later can diagnose (if half of your hormones are out of whack - aka your brain is doing some weird shit). Most of the time, its just an old school knock to the head...

Its like "the flu". People get head colds, chest colds, stomach virus etc and we say we have "the flu", when in fact you had nothing of the sort. Influenza aka 'the flu' can be fatal. Drinking away a chest cold with some scotch isn't the same thing... LOL

I really do hope Sutton never experiences any long term affects from PCS. Me and him had a great chat about concussions (we both visited the same speciallist) at the TFC 90th minute party after year one...

Ok, that being said....beer on a Tuesday night ok...??? ;)
Carts...