PDA

View Full Version : Brennan Will Play Against Galaxy

Keyman
05-24-2008, 01:19 PM
Good news!

http://www.nationalpost.com/sports/story.html?id=536097 (http://www.nationalpost.com/sports/story.html?id=536097)

An agreement between the Canadian Soccer Association and Toronto FC will allow Jim Brennan to miss a friendly against Brazil on May 31 and instead play for his Major League Soccer team against the L.A. Galaxy at BMO Field.

Canadian coach Dale Mitchell confirmed yesterday that Brennan will then join the national side for a second exhibition match against Panama on June 4.

The pair of games are meant to help Canada prepare for its first World Cup qualifying matches in June.

"Jimmy's situation, you know, I would've liked to have him as well for the full week, but we agreed he would just join us for the Panama game and I know [Toronto FC coach] John Carver and Jimmy were both happy with that and I think that's the way they wanted it."

Mitchell was able to secure the services of Toronto FC starting goalie Greg Sutton for both exhibition matches.

With a slew of international games scheduled this summer - the heart of the MLS season - many teams are being forced to part with their top players for some games.

Mitchell said he understands it is a difficult position for MLS clubs.

"We've tried to accommodate the MLS teams and some of the players will just be involved in the one game, so you know we always try to work with the clubs, but we've got a job to do and only so many dates to do it."

TFC's director of soccer, Mo Johnston, said allowing players to compete for their nation is the right thing to do.

"The national team's important to people and you always want to play for your country and you let guys go and then other guys need to step up," Johnston said.

"We have good depth on our squad and we're happy to obviously accommodate."

Brennan and Sutton are also likely to be named to the Canadian team which will face Saint Vincent & the Grenadines June 15 and June 20. The winner of those matches will advance to the next stage in World Cup qualifying.

With Toronto FC playing on June 14 and June 21 , it is likely Brennan and Sutton will not be available to Carver for those matches.

The two Canadians are not the only Toronto players who will be missing action in the days ahead.

Midfielder Maurice Edu will be joining the American national team for a friendly against England on Wednesday at Wembley Stadium.

The 2007 MLS rookie of the year will miss Toronto's game against the Montreal Impact on Tuesday, which is the squad's first CONCACAF Champions League game.

Johnston said in the end he couldn't turn down his young midfielder.

"How can you say no to a young kid whose dream is to play at Wembley, to play for his national team? It's wonderful, it just shows you how far Maurice Edu has come and we're happy for him and we're happy for all the guys that were called up."

Other MLS teams will feel the pinch of Canada's upcoming schedule. Dwayne de Rosario and goalkeeper Pat Onstad will miss time with the Houston Dynamo in order to compete for Canada. They will be joined by Adrian Serioux of FC Dallas and Ante Jazic of the L.A. Galazy.

In a conference call with reporters yesterday, de Rosario said when it comes to wearing your nation's colours the answer is always clear.

"At the end of the day its always an honour to represent your country ... It's always an honour to play for your national team and any time you get the opportunity you know you take it."

Canary Canuck
05-24-2008, 01:56 PM
Surprised that Sutton will be going. I figured with 4 keepers called that he'd be doing the same thing that Brennan will be doing.

nfitz
05-24-2008, 01:59 PM
Given how hot Sutton has been recently, I wouldn't be surprised to see him starting both Canada games - and of course we want him playing for TFC for the same reasons.

Hopefully they don't break him again this time.

H Bomb
05-24-2008, 02:10 PM
This is great news. Sutton better get some time in net, although on recent form it seems a definite

Canary Canuck
05-24-2008, 02:12 PM
I think that should guarantee that Sutton starts against Brazil. I think Carver would be mighty pissed if he went there just to sit on the bench.

Billy the kid
05-24-2008, 02:36 PM
That's good for us. Although he may never get a chance to play against Brazil again.

Red CB Toronto
05-24-2008, 02:55 PM
Glad to see,but on the otherhand National team duty is such an honour, happy thought to see that Jimmy B will be on the pitch next Saturday vs. the Galaxy.

camcamy
05-24-2008, 04:06 PM
Aww Man, I really thought we'd get to keep greg. Just the other day my idoit friend whos never watched an MLS game in his life bet me 20 bucks that the galaxy was gonna beat us just because they are a Superclub (which everyone knows they are not). Knowing how pathetic their roster is without DB and landycakes I happily accepted the bet. Now, hearing that Sutton will miss the game scares me a little, but Im still confident we'll win.

Dozitwin
05-24-2008, 04:53 PM
Given how hot Sutton has been recently, I wouldn't be surprised to see him starting both Canada games - and of course we want him playing for TFC for the same reasons.

Hopefully they don't break him again this time.

my thoughts exactly