PDA

View Full Version : 2009 Schedule released !

Pages : 1 [2]

Brooker
01-28-2009, 08:17 PM
There are 2 night games & more to come with Canada Cup games & hopefully CL games.

They also got rid of the 12:30 kick-offs which is a good thing.

thank god. i hate being drunk by 2pm :P

daner90
01-28-2009, 08:36 PM
Nice the boys are on the road on my wedding day...and Seatlle the following weekend...can I convince my bride that Seattle is a beautiful destination for a honeymoon ;)

MUFC_Niagara
01-28-2009, 08:36 PM
International Players Missing During Season

March.28 v Columbus
- Carl Robinson (Wales v Finland)
- Marvell Wynne (El Salvador v USA)

June.6 v Los Angeles
- Carl Robinson (Azerbaijan v Wales)
- Marvell Wynne (USA v Honduras)
- Amado Guevara (USA v Honduras)

September.5 v Colorado

-Marvell Wynne (USA v El Salvador)

October.10 v San Jose
- Carl Robinson (Finland v Wales)
- Marvell Wynne (Honduras v USA)
- Amado Guevara (Honduras v USA)

So these are the players and games they will miss. Also, they miss more depending on when they have to meet up with their international squad. Not to mention there are certain games when Robbo will arrive back from Europe 1 or 2 days before a game. Fucking MLS is a joke. GET INLINE WITH THE FIFA CALENDER YOU JOKE OF A LEAGUE!!!!

denime
01-28-2009, 08:44 PM
2-3 players missing is nothing comparing to 8-9 if we have to play during the Gold Cup !
MLS did good job for this season.(I can believe I'm saying this) :hide:

MUFC_Niagara
01-28-2009, 09:00 PM
2-3 players missing is nothing comparing to 8-9 if we have to play during the Gold Cup !
MLS did good job for this season.(I can believe I'm saying this) :hide:

I agree, compared to last season its a hell of a lot better, but that's really only due to Canada, Jamaica, and Puerto Rico not being the competition anymore. They really haven't changed anything from scheduling stand point....*sigh*

Erkan16
01-28-2009, 09:03 PM
at least i dont see any games being on TSN2 :D

T_Mizz
01-28-2009, 09:04 PM
GET INLINE WITH THE FIFA CALENDER YOU JOKE OF A LEAGUE!!!!
Certainly you don't mean turning it into a winter/fall sport do you?

Nuvinho
We have cover for those guys:

Robbo - Cronin
Guevara - DeRo
Wynne - Nana

This is much better than last year. I think we can all live with 2 or 3 players out at a time and for a total of 4 games.

dag
:topic:

:canada:

:drinking:

:pbjtime:

:grouphug:

:party:

:cheers:

mighty_torontofc_2008
Actually now that you mention it, I do remember this Cup. Chile and Northern Ireland were involved one year (it was held entirely in Edmonton that year), and Paul Peschisolido scored a brace in one of the games.

That was 1995 or so, IIRC. Not the early 80's (you may be talking about the Sir Stanley Matthews Cup, which was mid-late 80's).

The fact that there was a Canada Cup of soccer is even more reason to not refer to this Voyageurs Cup competition (officially known as the Nutralite Canadian Championship for at least one more year, nfitz) by that name.

yep the Mattews cup that was it and the Canada one in edmonton, i was close:o

MUFC_Niagara
01-28-2009, 09:09 PM
Certainly you don't mean turning it into a winter/fall sport do you?

No, the FIFA Calender....meaning the league doesn't play when International matches are scheduled.

T_Mizz
01-28-2009, 09:11 PM
yeah but unfortunately we're forced to play over the summer and that's when most leagues have their off-season so logically that's when internationals will be played, I'm not too sure on the details but it seems somewhat unavoidable

MUFC_Niagara
01-28-2009, 09:19 PM
All the games listed above, other than the June game are played at the same time as other leagues. These leagues will shut down during the international games.

Yeoman
01-28-2009, 09:21 PM
well looks like i won't see any games until may. oh well

Bluenose13
01-28-2009, 09:24 PM
No, the FIFA Calender....meaning the league doesn't play when International matches are scheduled.Obviously that would be great but with WCQ,Gold Cup,CL qualifiers,CL games.....How would they fit the schedule in, that already starts & finishes in cold weather on the east coast.

billyfly
01-28-2009, 09:27 PM
Sch looks good to me. Then come the weddings and baptisms, kid b-days etc and all goes to Hell.

MUFC_Niagara
01-28-2009, 09:27 PM
Obviously that would be great but with WCQ,Gold Cup,CL qualifiers,CL games.....How would they fit the schedule in, that already starts & finishes in cold weather on the east coast.

Simple. More mid week games. The BPL has played mid week 3 weeks in a row now.

billyfly
01-28-2009, 09:29 PM
Do I have to buy a rain jacket from adidas.com? What's Environment Canada predicting for weather this spring and summer?

Bluenose13
01-28-2009, 09:31 PM
Simple. More mid week games. The BPL has played mid week 3 weeks in a row now.Yeah......That would be the only way around it but this league in most markets can't draw during the week :noidea:

Other than a couple of cities, this league is built on soccer moms & there kids.

Rudi
01-28-2009, 09:31 PM
Simple. More mid week games. The BPL has played mid week 3 weeks in a row now.
Have you seen attendances for mid-week games in this league?

MLS is still very gate-driven, and throwing away money to play mid-week is a sure fire way to see the league collapse in short order. Unfortunately, it is still way too far from being popular enough to have enough hardcore fans who will attend on any night.

that's not going to change any time soon.

MUFC_Niagara
01-28-2009, 09:35 PM
Yeah......That would be the only way around it but this league in most markets can't draw during the week :noidea:

Other than a couple of cities, this league is built on soccer moms & there kids.

Which is the problem. Hardcore football fans don't take this league seriously because of the way its run. Rediculous roster restrictions, rediculous scheduling, rediculous league format. Complete overhaul. Turn into a proper football league and then people will attend.

MUFC_Niagara
01-28-2009, 09:38 PM

MLS is still very gate-driven, and throwing away money to play mid-week is a sure fire way to see the league collapse in short order. Unfortunately, it is still way too far from being popular enough to have enough hardcore fans who will attend on any night.

The Catch 22 is that it won't change unless they initate the changes and show some foreward thinking.

Bluenose13
01-28-2009, 09:43 PM
Which is the problem. Hardcore football fans don't take this league seriously because of the way its run. Rediculous roster restrictions, rediculous scheduling, rediculous league format. Complete overhaul. Turn into a proper football league and then people will attend.Or take the slow steady approach that has the league growing every year. It's easy for us in Toronto to want to move things much quicker as we can afford it & we support it. Unfortunately if they move the salary cap up too fast a lot of small market teams will fold.

I hear you, a lot of things in this league are very frustrating but I do believe they have a growth plan & we are just going to have be patient.

Hopefully the salary cap will double after this year & certain restrictions are eased a little.

billygrieveuk
01-28-2009, 09:43 PM
not enough night games mid week. Too hot at 3:30pm

i agree, loved those thursday nights in the rain.

billyfly
01-28-2009, 09:49 PM
The rain re-filled my beer cup for me. A real $$$ saver.

GhostPK
01-28-2009, 09:54 PM
Perfect...

Then I can decide if it's worth it to buy Air Canada Flight Pass for away games... their Escape Pass is on sale. If the dates work out, it's only like... $350 for round trip to LA/Seattle/Texas

See you in Seattle friend!!

-WCR

Mojo
01-28-2009, 10:40 PM
Which days are international days as specified by FIFA? Do the dates overlap or did MLS try and remedy lasts years debacle?

Toronto Ruffrider
01-29-2009, 12:40 AM

Crowds under 10k on weeknights are common for quite a few MLS teams. TFC is one of only a few teams that can play any night of the week without an appreciable drop-off at the gate.

nfitz
01-29-2009, 12:53 AM
MLS did good job for this season.But we have 3 games scheduled during the Gold Cup!

nfitz
01-29-2009, 12:58 AM
Which days are international days as specified by FIFA? Do the dates overlap or did MLS try and remedy lasts years debacle?See: http://www.fifa.com/aboutfifa/calendar/events.html

This year, what's going to impact us is:

28 March - 01 April Fixed date for official competition matches
06-10 June Fixed date for official competition matches
14-28 June FIFA Confederations Cup South Africa 2009 South Africa (for US players - Marvell Wynne perhaps)
03-26 July CONCACAF Gold Cup
12 August Fixed date for friendly matches
05-09 September Fixed date for official competition matches
10-14 October Fixed date for official competition matches

and possibly even:
25 September - 16 October FIFA U-20 World Cup Egypt

twistedchinaman
01-29-2009, 03:07 AM
Well, it's settled -- off to Seatown we are!

If I don't see you 4 April, I will see you 29 August!

werewolf
01-29-2009, 08:35 AM
when is the reserve schedule going to be released? :D

Fort York Redcoat
01-29-2009, 08:53 AM
But we have 3 games scheduled during the Gold Cup!

Most of our Canadians won't play for Dale anyway.

This does concern me since I intend to go to as many Gold Cup games as I can.

:canada:

werewolf
01-29-2009, 08:55 AM
By that time Nana, Rosenlund and Joey Melo should be the best available players that mitchell hasn't alienated.

Nuvinho
01-29-2009, 08:55 AM
I figure: Seattle, New England, Galaxy, NYRB (2) are the 5 premium games.

Wagner
01-29-2009, 08:56 AM
when is the reserve schedule going to be released? :D
the reserve division was scrapped.

Fort York Redcoat
01-29-2009, 08:58 AM
I figure: Seattle, New England, Galaxy, NYRB (2) are the 5 premium games.

premium. ridiculous. Unless it's beer.

Cashcleaner
01-29-2009, 01:00 PM
I know im not the only one who thinks that night games are sick.

how do TFC reward us? with 1 all season.

FUCK OFF.

More night game would have been preferable, but at least they've scrapped the 12:30 matches like Bluenose pointed out.

I too have an appreciation for the late afternoon/evening games, especially in high summer when the sun becomes a real killer in the afternoon.

Fort York Redcoat
01-29-2009, 01:04 PM
I hope we get to the point where we can get the V cup midweek. Those midweek games are special. I loved them.

maninb
01-29-2009, 01:17 PM
Anybody notice that the schedule posted here is DIFFERENT than the one posted on the MLS website...That schedule has NYRB playing us on Wed June 24 at 7:30 not in October!!!!!

TOBOR !
01-29-2009, 01:17 PM
Air Canada has flight passes for one way credits as well as unlimited travel for frequent flyers. The Escape Pass is to incentivize people to travel in Jan/Feb/Mar/April/May the low season.

You can find out more in their website.

I'll however, wait for schedule, do my cost-benefit analysis and post it in Away Trips board if I find it worth buying them personally. ;)

incentivize ?

nfitz
01-29-2009, 02:50 PM
Anybody notice that the schedule posted here is DIFFERENT than the one posted on the MLS website...That schedule has NYRB playing us on Wed June 24 at 7:30 not in October!!!!!The schedule posted here early Wednesday was not final. That change was dicussed further up the thread.

Toronto Ruffrider
01-29-2009, 02:58 PM
I hope the game times aren't final. I'm not alone when I say I'd prefer more evening games in the schedule. For TV purposes, I can understand why games early in the season would have be played in the afternoon - i.e. HNIC - but there are fewer scheduling conflicts in the hot and hazy months of July and August.

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
01-29-2009, 08:31 PM
anyone know where 2009 MLS CUP is?

supernothingman
01-29-2009, 08:37 PM
Which is the problem. Hardcore football fans don't take this league seriously because of the way its run. Ridiculous roster restrictions, ridiculous scheduling, ridiculous league format. Complete overhaul. Turn into a proper football league and then people will attend.

Don't forget the asinine draft.

supernothingman
01-29-2009, 08:38 PM
anyone know where 2009 MLS CUP is?

Don't think it's been announced just yet.

With the way things are going, I'd say Seattle.

SweetOwnGoal
01-29-2009, 08:51 PM
Don't think it's been announced just yet.

With the way things are going, I'd say Seattle.
They were waiting on New York (not that they would publically admit it)...but Red Bull Park won't be done now, so it's up in the air.

There was talk of it going to the highest seed. I'd prefer that to the neutral site. Unless it's here.

kodiakTFC
01-30-2009, 03:40 AM
I honestly don't know if the MLS cup will ever be in Toronto. It is pretty damn cold here in November, especially at BMO being just off the lake. Not to mention the possibility of snow, which isn't a huge issue other then the frozen pitch rule. Skydome is definitely an option and would be cool but unless Toronto is in it, they wont get even 15000.

I was at a Impact game in October for the CL, against Olimpia if my mind serves me correct, and it was BRUTAL. Oh man was it cold, I thought I had frost bite and I was well covered up. The next day their goalie, matt jordan, complained his muscles were seizing up it was so cold.

Snow + Rain + Wind = hell for soccer.

With that said, it snows in November, it can still rain, and man is it windy at exhibition.

Fort York Redcoat
01-30-2009, 08:05 AM
I'd hate to have to watch Toronto in the Dome but if it's the only way to have home advantage I'll take it.

InDa_110
01-30-2009, 04:45 PM
I actually like the hot afternoon games.

I get twice as hammered for half the price, and provided it's a Saturday afternoon at no point during the game do I ever have to think about waking up for work the next day!

:drinking::cool:

Eastend
01-30-2009, 04:48 PM
I honestly don't know if the MLS cup will ever be in Toronto. It is pretty damn cold here in November, especially at BMO being just off the lake. Not to mention the possibility of snow, which isn't a huge issue other then the frozen pitch rule. Skydome is definitely an option and would be cool but unless Toronto is in it, they wont get even 15000.

I was at a Impact game in October for the CL, against Olimpia if my mind serves me correct, and it was BRUTAL. Oh man was it cold, I thought I had frost bite and I was well covered up. The next day their goalie, matt jordan, complained his muscles were seizing up it was so cold.

Snow + Rain + Wind = hell for soccer.

With that said, it snows in November, it can still rain, and man is it windy at exhibition.

I agree, however I read that the USMNT plays Mexico @ Crew Stadium on Feb 11/09. That will be 1 cold match also......

Troll
01-30-2009, 08:58 PM
Not sure if it's true, but a friend of mine told me that LA doesn't have games on the international dates and, aside from playing a game 3 days after the Aug 12 international, don't play within a week+ of the other dates. Coincidence?

Another reason why nobody takes this league seriously.

nfitz
01-31-2009, 01:12 AM
Not sure if it's true, but a friend of mine told me that LA doesn't have games on the international dates and, aside from playing a game 3 days after the Aug 12 international, don't play within a week+ of the other dates. Coincidence?Clearly not true as there has been much discussion that LA plays in Toronto on an International day.

rocker
01-31-2009, 09:53 AM
Another reason why nobody takes this league seriously.

I take this league seriously. but maybe that's just me.

I don't think people in Europe are sitting there worrying about when LA Galaxy has days off for INT dates ;)

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
01-31-2009, 03:09 PM
I agree, however I read that the USMNT plays Mexico @ Crew Stadium on Feb 11/09. That will be 1 cold match also......

The yanks have it right.....They make them play in the hottest and shitiest conditions!!!!!!!!!!What better then having the game in Columbus in feb!!Brrrrrr...the mexicans are gona freeze!

If this was Canada....we'd have the game played at the BIG O/ROGERS!!!...Wouldnt want to treat the Mexicans un fairly now!

London
01-31-2009, 05:17 PM
so i am not going to read all the pages, but did anyone notice we play 14 games vs the east and 16 vs the west???

doesn't make sense??

Just TFC
01-31-2009, 05:30 PM
yeah i noticed that too..

it's supposed to be even between east and west but yeah there are 16 games against the west and 14 against the east.

i guess it helps up that we face the west more, that way if we lose against them, it won't affect us as much cuz we're in the eastern conference.

anyone know or have the preseason schedule besides the charleston challenge cup?

rocker
01-31-2009, 06:07 PM
well, ya got 8 teams in the west this season with seattle on board, 7 in the east (that's 6 opponents for TFC).
so you play all teams in the east twice, giving 12 games. then you play every team in the west twice, giving 16 games... then 2 extra east games to make it a nice even 30, which i think is the overall number they want to stay at right now. When Philly comes in we'd have 16 games versus the west and 14 versus the east without any extras.

do i have my math right? math was my worst subject.