PDA

View Full Version : Beckham's Transfer Fee - What Is He Worth??

Chevy
01-27-2009, 10:11 AM
Let the debate begin. IF he is bought by AC Milan, What do you think Mr. Beckham will go for? :noidea:

Nuvinho
01-27-2009, 10:12 AM
I think MLS should take into consideration the jersey sales, sponsorship, TV rights, etc. Then milk Milan for all its worth...........I am greedy, so $20M.........hahaha!!!

Oldtimer
01-27-2009, 10:13 AM
http://www.solarnavigator.net/films_movies_actors/film_images/Austin_Powers_Mike_Myers_as_Dr_Evil.jpg

100 billion dollars!

TFCREDNWHITE
01-27-2009, 10:14 AM
$20 million !?? NO WAY!

I say $50 million USD. or $37 million Euros.

Nuvinho
01-27-2009, 10:15 AM
$20 million !?? NO WAY!

I say $50 million USD. or $37 million Euros.

I guess I wasn't greedy enough....hahaha!!! If Milan actually sold Kaka, I would be asking for wayyyy more.

Miko
01-27-2009, 10:16 AM
He can leave the Galaxy for free in October so probably no more than $5MM

trane
01-27-2009, 10:21 AM
^ That is the thing the Galaxy only have a little leverage, somewere between 10-20 Million US is all they will likely get. Or risk getting nothing for him in October.

TFCREDNWHITE
01-27-2009, 10:21 AM
http://www.soccerbyives.net/soccer_by_ives/2009/01/milan-set-to-make-mls-an-offer-to-keep-beckham.html#comments

Ageroo
01-27-2009, 10:26 AM
Fleece them....take 'em for all that you can....alot of publicity lost....could easily spin it in favour of MLS......

trane
01-27-2009, 10:31 AM
^ They cannot fleece them Milan is not desperate for Beckham, they can use him, he has been a great addition so far, but they have much greater needs then adding to an already tallented mid field. They have offered 4.5 Million at most I can see them doubling that. Which is aobut 20 Million US, but that is hardly fleecing, when you consider, as Shugs pointed out Rangers bought Edu for 5.

Ageroo
01-27-2009, 10:33 AM
But think of the marketing perspective alone for the club....I can't even imagine the additional revenue that he has brought in, with his jersey sales alone......they stand to make out like bandits, even if they don't really need him......MLS has to look at that in my opinion. Whether we like him or not...he is a money making machine for the league.....

Lucky Strike
01-27-2009, 10:35 AM
I've heard a lot of people say that Beckham leaving would be an embarrassment to MLS. Why? He's played here, hasn't torn the league to shreds (which means he isn't truck loads better than the league, comparatively speaking), and now has stepped in at Milan after 3 months off and fit right in and by most accounts, he's acquitting himself well. If anything that looks good on MLS.

As for his fee, the number £4.5 million (US$ 6.3 million) has been thrown around, which I think is in the neighbourhood of being fair. LA could milk Milan but then again, he can leave for free in October so those two factors will probably balance each other out. LA has sold pretty much the majority of shirts they are going to sell (all the Beckham fans who wanted one would likely have one by now).

Beach_Red
He can leave the Galaxy for free in October so probably no more than $5MM

If he can leave when they're mathematically eliminated from the playoffs he could be gone in June......

ensco
Henry is an interesting benchmark. He was sold for $32 million at age 30. I assume that Barca thought they would get 4 years out of him. So that's $8 million per year.

Henry's a striker, which makes him worth more, but he sells less jerseys than Beckham would (he still sells a lot of jerseys though!).

Beckham will be 34 in May. Milan can only assume they will get 1-2 years out of him.

I say $10-15 million.

Lucky Strike
01-27-2009, 10:36 AM
^ They cannot fleece them Milan is not desperate for Beckham, they can use him, he has been a great addition so far, but they have much greater needs then adding to an already tallented mid field. They have offered 4.5 Million at most I can see them doubling that. Which is aobut 20 Million US, but that is hardly fleecing, when you consider, as Shugs pointed out Rangers bought Edu for 5.

Actually, that's 4.5 million GBP (6.3 million USD) while Edu was actually 2.6 million GBP (5 million USD).

SLBuu
01-27-2009, 10:45 AM
i really dont care....i actually hope they sell him for under 5 mil.

trane
01-27-2009, 10:46 AM
[quote=Lucky Strike;348256]I've heard a lot of people say that Beckham leaving would be an embarrassment to MLS. Why? He's played here, hasn't torn the league to shreds (which means he isn't truck loads better than the league, comparatively speaking), and now has stepped in at Milan after 3 months off and fit right in and by most accounts, he's acquitting himself well. If anything that looks good on MLS.

[quote]

He is truck loads better then the rest of the league, why do you think ladycakes, and Buddle had so many goals, because of his service. No one in the MLS has his vision. I am no fan of the Beckham star thing, but he is a great player.

Lucky Strike
01-27-2009, 10:52 AM
He is truck loads better then the rest of the league, why do you think ladycakes, and Buddle had so many goals, because of his service. No one in the MLS has his vision. I am no fan of the Beckham star thing, but he is a great player.

For sure he's a great player, but in 2008 he had 5 goals and 10 assists. That's a good return, but he didn't destroy the league with 30 goals or 15 goals and 15 assists or anything like that. That's what I meant specifically by "truck-loads better".

Pachuco
01-27-2009, 10:56 AM
Although I would hate to see Becks gone, (I personally believe he is an incredible player to watch on the field), I think it's time to sell. He clearly doesn't want to be here, and MLS can probalby get a good chunk of change.

However I will say this, the money from Becks has to be used to lure someone like Henry to the MLS. That is the only way selling Beckham would be worth it. He has to be replaced with another star who would sell a whole new set of jerseys. If a star of that caliber doesn't arrive in the MLS, then the money could very well be a waste. I'll also start wondering who pocketed the money!

T_Mizz
01-27-2009, 10:56 AM
Actually, that's 4.5 million GBP (6.3 million USD) while Edu was actually 2.6 million GBP (5 million USD).
Unless the pound really went downhill I'd check your mathe there

Pachuco
01-27-2009, 10:57 AM
For sure he's a great player, but in 2008 he had 5 goals and 10 assists. That's a good return, but he didn't destroy the league with 30 goals or 15 goals and 15 assists or anything like that. That's what I meant specifically by "truck-loads better".

Come on man, do I really need to tell you that what Becks does on the field is way beyond any stat that can be captured?

SLBuu
01-27-2009, 10:58 AM
i really cant see Milan offering much for him with his clause (whatever it is) coming up.

Lucky Strike
01-27-2009, 11:03 AM
Unless the pound really went downhill I'd check your mathe there

It did. I used xe.com 30 minutes ago (have a go yourself) in order to write that post about the Beckham proposed transfer fee. Edu's numbers come from a UK article when he was sold. Research research research! :D

T_Mizz
01-27-2009, 11:05 AM
damn son what happened? I suppose maybe its a combo of that and the US dollar is up from the summer too, I had a suspicion it might be

Lucky Strike
01-27-2009, 11:10 AM
Come on man, do I really need to tell you that what Becks does on the field is way beyond any stat that can be captured?

Suppose you're right, how can we be 100% sure if there's no way to quantify it? The only thing I can think of at this moment is that he'll attract double-coverage, thereby allowing others some more space.

What else did you have in mind?

Phil
01-27-2009, 11:14 AM
Moving as a poll is not news :)

Nuvinho
01-27-2009, 11:19 AM
Moving as a poll is not news :)

love the avatar....but you need Ronnie.......I do the stepover, I don't track back.......haha!!!!

jvanpeebles
01-27-2009, 11:21 AM
Without a doubt his best years have come and gone. He is still better than a majority playing in this league though. If you are thing bottom line his name alone brings in millions. Any transfer fee would easily be recovered by AC Milan. I would think he would not go anywhere for less than 15 million which is cheap considering what we see being paid as transfer fees in Europe. We need to keep as many quality players in this league as possible so they should consider a league minimum transfer fee.

BakaGaijin
01-27-2009, 11:21 AM
damn son what happened? I suppose maybe its a combo of that and the US dollar is up from the summer too, I had a suspicion it might be

I guess you don't read much. The UK banking system is essentially insolvent. They are seriously fcuked up over there.

Ireland is also a basket case. Money and jobs are being driven out of that country faster than the snakes were.

Pachuco
01-27-2009, 11:22 AM
Suppose you're right, how can we be 100% sure if there's no way to quantify it? The only thing I can think of at this moment is that he'll attract double-coverage, thereby allowing others some more space.

What else did you have in mind?

What you said, plus

1. He's a great holding midfielder as well (which has been his role with Milan)
2. He is a master of keeping ball possession.
3. He is a great passer of the ball, only passes that turn into goals are captured by stats. How many times have we seen Beckham switch the ball from one side of the field to the other in a way no one else can do in the MLS and maybe even the world?

Shaughno
01-27-2009, 11:24 AM
What you said, plus

3. He is a great passer of the ball, only passes that turn into goals are captured by stats. How many times have we seen Beckham switch the ball from one side of the field to the other in a way no one else can do in the MLS and maybe even the world?

I've said it before and IMO it's just as applicable now, there isn't a better passer of the ball in the world, then David Beckham. Dead ball, on the run, crossing, through balls, etc. are his specialty and always has been.

flatpicker
01-27-2009, 11:27 AM
^ agreed, and it's too bad I didn't get a chance to see him in person more often.

It would have been nice to get a first hand look at Becks working is footie magic, while losing to TFC.

The All-Star game was alright, but a league match would have been preferable.
Still a chance I guess... but not likely now.

Shaughno
01-27-2009, 11:28 AM
The All Star Game for me, really show cased how far ABOVE the rest of the league's top talents he really is. Aside from Blanco, Becks was yards ahead of everyone else during that game.

flatpicker
01-27-2009, 11:39 AM
^ true... even though it was a friendly game, it was still pretty special to see those gorgeous passing skills.

rocker
01-27-2009, 11:40 AM
The All Star Game for me, really show cased how far ABOVE the rest of the league's top talents he really is. Aside from Blanco, Becks was yards ahead of everyone else during that game.

ya I really appreciated him in that game. I was sitting in the north end, two sections south of the NEE. At one point Becks, back turned to us, played a ball from near our sideline diagonally down to the running left winger near section 109/110. From my angle behind the ball I could see the curve he perfectly placed on the perfectly weighted ball and everyone in our row gasped. Blanco also impressed too, as well as DE RO.

Pachuco
01-27-2009, 11:49 AM
ya I really appreciated him in that game. I was sitting in the north end, two sections south of the NEE. At one point Becks, back turned to us, played a ball from near our sideline diagonally down to the running left winger near section 109/110. From my angle behind the ball I could see the curve he perfectly placed on the perfectly weighted ball and everyone in our row gasped. Blanco also impressed too, as well as DE RO.

Hehe that's funny. I was in 109 and I won't forget that pass. To this day my brother in law and I (who was sitting beside me) talk about that pass when we think of the All Star Game.

felipe
01-27-2009, 11:59 AM
If he was a TFC player, I'd let him go for nothing with the promise of 3-4 different AC Milan young reserve players (on the cusp of making the Serie A side) coming on loan every season for the next ten years

rocker
01-27-2009, 12:00 PM
Hehe that's funny. I was in 109 and I won't forget that pass. To this day my brother in law and I (who was sitting beside me) talk about that pass when we think of the All Star Game.

haha. good to see it was memorable to others.

That whole all-star game was the best quality soccer I've seen at BMO.
After, I daydreamed about the day when MLS quality is like that from game to game.
I'll probably be an old man when that happens, but at least I will be able to look back and remember when I first saw that quality.

Big Bruva
01-27-2009, 12:26 PM
Buy him for the shirt sales and a bit for his ability.

Bloody Beckham, what a waste.

I know Milan don't expect to win any Champions League titles with Beckham playing majority of the time.

Lucky Strike
01-27-2009, 01:14 PM
What you said, plus

You make an excellent case, it would seem I under-rate him. :D

Yohan
01-27-2009, 01:18 PM
I'd be surprised if Milan pays more than 5 million euros for beckham.

Dude apparently is in last year of his contract. Diminishes his value greatly.

I_AM_CANADIAN
01-27-2009, 02:27 PM
He's in the final stage of his career, he'll be able to play in Serie A for probably another two or three years before he's too old. You'll note that all the massive transfer fees you see are for players under thirty, players who still have the potential to improve. Becks is a great player, but he's only going to get worse from now on.

Around five million pounds would probably be a fair price.

Shaughno
01-27-2009, 02:33 PM
He's in the final stage of his career, he'll be able to play in Serie A for probably another two or three years before he's too old. You'll note that all the massive transfer fees you see are for players under thirty, players who still have the potential to improve. Becks is a great player, but he's only going to get worse from now on.

Around five million pounds would probably be a fair price.

How much would you pay for Gattuso, Nesta or Emerson who are all similar in age?

Or how about Paulo Maldini who's 6 years Beckham's senior? ;)

Just for a point of reference on the team he's currently loaned to.

I_AM_CANADIAN
01-27-2009, 02:49 PM
You also have to take into account the effect Beckham will have on merchandising and club stature... And when you take into account that Gattuso is out for the season, he could be seen as a temporary replacement. ;)

And anyway, there are very few English players good enough to play for a team like Milan in my opinion, probably Rooney, Scholes, Gerrard, Lampard, Ferdinand, Owen and Beckham- and Beckham is one of the only English players ever to achieve success outside of the English leagues. I've found that the English don't really appreciate his talents because they have an obsession with pace- they'd rather see Aaron Lennon or Stewart Downing on the wing, guys who can run for days but can't kick the ball. You look at Kaka, and he doesn't have a lot of pace, but he's still a great player.

giambac
01-27-2009, 02:56 PM
Let the debate begin. IF he is bought by AC Milan, What do you think Mr. Beckham will go for? :noidea:

It won't be much comapre dto the outrageous transfer fees we have been hearing about for KAKA and C Ronaldo.

At the end of the day Beckham is playing for a world class top notch team in THE BEST LEAGUE in the WORLD. He realizes that it is the best league and wants to be part of it. Nothing else to be said:hump:

Lucky Strike
01-27-2009, 03:30 PM
It won't be much comapre dto the outrageous transfer fees we have been hearing about for KAKA and C Ronaldo.

At the end of the day Beckham is playing for a world class top notch team in THE BEST LEAGUE in the WORLD. He realizes that it is the best league and wants to be part of it. Nothing else to be said:hump:

Why do you have the humping icon though?

edmundo
01-27-2009, 04:16 PM

sorry to rain on your your serie a parade but last time i checked the last two straight years the championsleague semi fianlists were made of of 75% english teams, milan is a top club, bayern munich is a top club, id even argue that boca juniors is a top club but do they play in the best league in the world? no

james
01-27-2009, 04:52 PM
+50 million Euros!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MLS needs the money.

james
01-27-2009, 04:54 PM

English Premiership is easily the best skilled league in the world. Id say the Spanish League is 2nd, and the italian league the 3rd best!

I_AM_CANADIAN
01-27-2009, 05:33 PM
Please don't turn this into one of 'those' threads... End of the day, it's personal preference. I prefer Serie A, the Premiership these days is not my cup of tea.

werewolf
01-27-2009, 06:12 PM
Hopefully Galaxy keep him and he leaves for free. Then they get no allocation money :D

Pachuco
01-27-2009, 07:04 PM
Please don't turn this into one of 'those' threads... End of the day, it's personal preference. I prefer Serie A, the Premiership these days is not my cup of tea.

Not really personal preference. Top league in the league can easily be determined by stats. And right now, the stats show the EPL is #1. This is coming from a very unbiased South American.

nascarguy
01-27-2009, 08:33 PM
I think MLS should take into consideration the jersey sales, sponsorship, TV rights, etc. Then milk Milan for all its worth...........I am greedy, so $20M.........hahaha!!!
I'm with you Over $20 Million make them pay

raj100
01-27-2009, 09:10 PM
why is this in the TORONTO FC forum?

AL-MO
01-27-2009, 09:14 PM
Well since there isn't a MLS forum, it goes in here.

If you look under Toronto FC Forum it says:

Toronto FC & MLS Public Discussion Forum Hosted by the Red Patch Boys
*the views expressed in this forum do not necessarily reflect the opinion of the Red Patch Boys

ua-kozak_TFC
01-27-2009, 10:59 PM
I would only sell him IF AC matches the money the league is losing in merchandise, attendance, and marketing deals.

ExiledRed
01-27-2009, 11:00 PM
Beckham should be forced to stay after the big deal he made about raising the profile of MLS.

Unless the Michael Owen rumour is true, I don't think LA will let him go.

edmundo
01-27-2009, 11:02 PM

cup of tea or not chelsea is winning it all this year!!...i digress.... as for beckham, i think when he came here he was in alot of turmoil and his international career appeared to be over and done with, but through teh magic of england sucking he got a chance and has ran with it ever since, now he realises that he must play at a high level like everyone else if he is to stay playing internationally, so as for him sticking around forget it, he gone...........

ExiledRed
01-27-2009, 11:08 PM
^^ I do think he believed that '06 was his last chance to win the world cup, and now as 2010 approaches and he's still a valid England squad player, he's regretting listening to his wife.

Funny he picked Milan, the other haven for fashionistas.

edmundo
01-28-2009, 01:42 AM
^^ I do think he believed that '06 was his last chance to win the world cup, and now as 2010 approaches and he's still a valid England squad player, he's regretting listening to his wife.

Funny he picked Milan, the other haven for fashionistas.

lol hes running thin on options now, when hes done at milan where else could he play....psg?

I_AM_CANADIAN
01-28-2009, 02:35 AM
Not really personal preference. Top league in the league can easily be determined by stats. And right now, the stats show the EPL is #1. This is coming from a very unbiased South American.
Meh. EPL these days to me = hoof it around and hope something good happens, at least in comparison to Serie A. I prefer the slower pace.

Shaughno
01-28-2009, 09:54 AM
Meh. EPL these days to me = hoof it around and hope something good happens, at least in comparison to Serie A. I prefer the slower pace.

Are you kidding me? I'd say that the EPL these days is by far the best it's ever been. More technical, faster, smarter play from teams even near the bottom.

Curious, when was the last time you watched more than a single EPL game this season? Honestly, I'm not trying to be a dick I want to know.

nobodybeatsthewiz
01-28-2009, 09:56 AM
Are you kidding me? I'd say that the EPL these days is by far the best it's ever been. More technical, faster, smarter play from teams even near the bottom.

Curious, when was the last time you watched more than a single EPL game this season? Honestly, I'm not trying to be a dick I want to know.

+1

IAMCANADIAN....case in point coming up. (and jay, here, knows i HATE man utd, but my brain says that) the odds of utd kicking the living shyte out of inter are better than inter barely even winning.

I_AM_CANADIAN
01-28-2009, 10:16 AM

I watch the feature match at 10 am on Sportsnet every Saturday.:p There have been a few good matches, but a lot of them have just bored me. The play is definitely faster, whether it's smarter is up for debate. I liked the EPL a lot better about five-six years ago when there were actually English players in it (yes, that's an exaggeration, but you know what I mean), and the pace was still fast but not blindingly so.

I just prefer Serie A every time I watch it. Italian football seems to have finally moved out of the overly negative phase it's been in for the last yen years (ironically, before the scandal when the top few teams in the league were better), I haven't seen a single match so far this year that has disappointed me, even those involving Int*r. And, in my opinion, from the top to the bottom of the table it's more competitive. I realize this is blasphemy, but I would much rather watch Milan v Juventus than Chelsea v Man Utd.

nobodybeatsthewiz:

If I recall correctly, Roma beat Chelsea 3-1 in the Champions League and finished top of their group... and this was while Roma were sitting in the relegation zone. :p

I think Man Utd would beat Inter too, cos Inter are shite.

trane
01-28-2009, 10:40 AM
I am in the midle on this. I agree with Shags that the EPL is the best, it has ever been technicaly. But I still prefer Serie A, admitatly I am biased, and I think that the overal team game is still better in Serie A. I would say though that most EPL are deeper in raw tallent, but the average Italian player has a better basic skill set. EPL is a faster game.

Milan is still the best team in the World, and off course the Azzurri are the Azzurri.;)

Everton is the best team in Englan by far. Also an unbiased opinion.

Pachuco
01-28-2009, 12:05 PM
I watch the feature match at 10 am on Sportsnet every Saturday.:p There have been a few good matches, but a lot of them have just bored me. The play is definitely faster, whether it's smarter is up for debate. I liked the EPL a lot better about five-six years ago when there were actually English players in it (yes, that's an exaggeration, but you know what I mean), and the pace was still fast but not blindingly so.

I just prefer Serie A every time I watch it. Italian football seems to have finally moved out of the overly negative phase it's been in for the last yen years (ironically, before the scandal when the top few teams in the league were better), I haven't seen a single match so far this year that has disappointed me, even those involving Int*r. And, in my opinion, from the top to the bottom of the table it's more competitive. I realize this is blasphemy, but I would much rather watch Milan v Juventus than Chelsea v Man Utd.

nobodybeatsthewiz:

If I recall correctly, Roma beat Chelsea 3-1 in the Champions League and finished top of their group... and this was while Roma were sitting in the relegation zone. :p

I think Man Utd would beat Inter too, cos Inter are shite.

Well, it's one thing to argue that Serie A is more entertaining. I guess you could say that's possible and no one could argue that with any kind of stat. However, just because a league is more entertaining sure doesn't mean they are the better league. In reality, 10 year old kids playing on Soccer Saturday on CBC could end up being more entertaining then an EPL or Serie A game. Entertainment doesn't always tie in to level of play.

Having said all that, the stats show EPL right now is the best league in Europe.

BTW - I couldn't stand the EPL 5 years back, because all they did was boot the long balls.

Also, you might want to start by not watching those saturday featured games on Sportsnet, I mean, unless you like watching Fullham v Newcastle every week. Setanta is the only way to watch the EPL.

pppperkins
01-28-2009, 04:00 PM
Becks just scored a great free kick ...ask for the 20 mill

DOMIN8R
01-28-2009, 04:02 PM
........and it's sweet one at that........... http://www.101greatgoals.com/videodisplay/2021939/

flatpicker
01-28-2009, 04:03 PM
keep scoring like that and MLS should be able to get a nice sum of cash for him!

james
01-28-2009, 10:32 PM
If Beckham leaves Galaxy to AC Milan and Donavan leaves to Bayern, man there goes Galaxy whole team. And probably all of Galaxy part time supporters to!!!

ExiledRed
01-28-2009, 10:48 PM
^Would signing another high profile player like Michael Owen (rumoured) alter that?

Stryker
01-28-2009, 10:59 PM
Holy shite. That free kick goal was freakin sweet.
And Garber says CAH-CHING!!!

Big Bruva
01-29-2009, 12:36 PM
^Would signing another high profile player like Michael Owen (rumoured) alter that?

Villa showing interest in Owen and if so Owen would be a smart man to go where the least he should be playing is Uefa Cup footy and the most Champs League footy, LA Galaxy might be the last thing on his mind unless he knows deep down that his injuries will never allow him to get back to the level he wants to and he just wants to go take the money (Becks).

Becks to MLS, smart man really. He said when he put on the Milan shirt he felt like a 15 year old school boy, would never be saying that about the Galaxy would he. Ex pro's are saying when he plays in the MLS he might send balls that strikers in this league don't read, sounds familiar lol

Pigfynn
01-29-2009, 12:43 PM
Owen out for 6-8 weeks with cracked ankle. Injured again! I feel sorry for the dude...well, as sorry as I can feel for a multi millionaire footballer :)

ExiledRed
01-29-2009, 01:28 PM
Owen out for 6-8 weeks with cracked ankle. Injured again! I feel sorry for the dude...well, as sorry as I can feel for a multi millionaire footballer :)

This is what I mean, he's too fragile for european football, else he would be able to overcome his injuries in the same way that Ryan Giggs did.

He's a liability on the England squad, They really suffered when he crumpled early in the last world cup, his star is fading.

If he replaced Beckham his profile would actually be raised.

If he goes to Villa, he'll spend the rest of his career on crutches.

james
01-29-2009, 07:48 PM
ya what league is most entertainning to watch is deffinitly a persons preference. I cant stand Seria-A....to much diving and that whole constant match fixing turns me off it. I like EPL, but really the leagues i find more entertaining is the German League and Argentina League, they are less predictable on what teams are gonna do good each year compared to EPL and Seria-A both.

But one thing is for sure in recent years, English Premiership clubs are the most skilled, statistics can show that.

supernothingman
01-29-2009, 08:10 PM
I like EPL, but really the leagues i find more entertaining is the German League and Argentina League, they are less predictable on what teams are gonna do good each year compared to EPL and Seria-A both.

There has been match-fixing in both the Bundesliga and the Primera Division.

My guilty pleasure is Ligue 1, just seems like all-out offense with little defending.