PDA

View Full Version : The REAL Centreback (CB) thread

Nuvinho
01-26-2009, 10:00 PM
We had one earlier that was joking about the situation we have at Toronto FC. But if Mo thinks that the CBs he has right now will do the job, we are in for another long season. I am just wondering if Mo is missing out on some serviceable CBs in the league?

For example, Ianni just got traded from Houston to Seattle for a conditional pick, because Houston had too many. He may not be a great CB, but a serviceable one. Then there is Martinez in DC, is Mo really considering him? If Mo is looking outside of MLS, what about Kuffour, he is close to signing with Chicago. Are we missing out?

We need CBs, one solid and another backup. Marshall is gone during the Gold cup, that leaves us with Velez and Nana. Robbo and Harmse are fine for cover, but not as a everyday starter.

That's just my rant, but I have a feeling many of you on this board feel the same way. We need CBs!!!

Razcle
01-26-2009, 10:05 PM
Harmse could be gone for Gold cup depending on where they select the players from. Since he is in MLS, he will still be in form and may get selected over some of the europeans. I am not saying he should, but I believe he was two years ago...

Ageroo
01-26-2009, 10:15 PM
Harmse could be gone for Gold cup depending on where they select the players from. Since he is in MLS, he will still be in form and may get selected over some of the europeans. I am not saying he should, but I believe he was two years ago...

Real possibility on that one...as he was called for the qualifying as well....we need to find some competent stars at CB and some depth.....should be interesting to see what Mo does......

TheRenter
01-26-2009, 10:18 PM
maybe it's just me, but I don't like the idea of Robo as a defender....he's best as a holding mid playing ahead of the last line of defense....like it was said by the original poster; we need a proven/solid CB and someone who can compliment/play along side them....and i'm not talking velez, marshall or harmse

just my $0.02

devioustrevor
01-26-2009, 10:39 PM
African Qualifying for this Summer's U-20 WC is currently going on. I wonder if TFC has even bothered to send a scout to Rwanda to watch?

An African teenager with potential could probably be had pretty at rate we could afford. Especially if they aren't from a nation like Nigeria, Cameroon or Ghana.

The Asian tournament wasn't too long ago either. I wonder if TFC was there looking for the next Maksim Shatskikh?

supernothingman
01-27-2009, 12:20 AM
I don't understand why we don't take a run at Kuffour?

poppamidnight
01-27-2009, 12:24 AM
nana aiint a cb.... he's out wide, (Wynne's eventual replacement.)

just throwing that out there....

MartinUtd
01-27-2009, 12:29 AM
Maybe Mo's waiting for the supplemental draft

T_Mizz
01-27-2009, 12:35 AM
haha but seriously I think Carver and Mo both agree that Nana can be servicable and possibly a star at CB so I just hope they're right

colman1860
01-27-2009, 01:00 AM
Why are we in for a long season with last year's defense? Wynne is improving to the point of being the best wingback in MLS, Brennan and Marshall are going to be the same as last year, and Velez will also improve. Last year we let in the same number of goals against as New England. We're not that bad at the back.

Overall I'm just not as worried about our defense as some people. We've never had a stretch of games where we didn't have to worry about scoring. I still think that's our number 1 problem - apart from Barrett, we don't have a real striker (White is injured, Dichio is often injured, and Ibee is too young).

UltraSuperMegaMo
01-27-2009, 01:36 AM
William Conde would be awesome. Philippe Christanval was linked with the team last year, I wonder if he’s still on their radar. I like Nana at CB. I don’t think there’s a lot of reason to think Velez is going to improve. I suspect he’ll consistently inconsistent just like last year.

I agree that striker is as big an area of concern as CB. I’m still hoping that we land Vitti. I’m looking forward to hearing about who TFC is going to be bringing into camp. I just finished listening to last week’s Soccer Show and JC was on and claimed that the trialists they’re bringing in this year are a thousand times better than last year - take that Martin Brittain.

trane
01-27-2009, 10:18 AM
I started the other thread, out of frustration at two things, how inconsistent our CB were, and when I looked around the league I could not identify one CB that I could truly say was good, not just OK but a good solid CB. Can anyone point out one solid CB in the MLS?I am realy asking.

Ageroo
01-27-2009, 10:30 AM
African Qualifying for this Summer's U-20 WC is currently going on. I wonder if TFC has even bothered to send a scout to Rwanda to watch?

An African teenager with potential could probably be had pretty at rate we could afford. Especially if they aren't from a nation like Nigeria, Cameroon or Ghana.

The Asian tournament wasn't too long ago either. I wonder if TFC was there looking for the next Maksim Shatskikh?

hmmm....I remember looking at the TFC TV video of them talking to Mo on the DeRo press day...I remember him mentioning something about looking at Africa. Maybe I am wrong....but I thought that is what he said.....not sure if he was looking defenders, forwards, etc....

Shaughno
01-27-2009, 10:37 AM
I think with the Africans there are problems with work permits and such, but I could be wrong.

Yohan
01-27-2009, 12:21 PM
I started the other thread, out of frustration at two things, how inconsistent our CB were, and when I looked around the league I could not identify one CB that I could truly say was good, not just OK but a good solid CB. Can anyone point out one solid CB in the MLS?I am realy asking.
Chad Marshall (CMB), Jimmy Conrad (KCW), Bobby Boswell (HOU), Nick Garcia (SJE)

Nuvinho
01-27-2009, 12:29 PM
I agree that there are only a handful (you can count them on 1 hand) of good CBs, but there are a lot of serviceable ones, that can do the job, without breaking the bank.

Keegan
01-27-2009, 12:47 PM
nana aiint a cb.... he's out wide, (Wynne's eventual replacement.)

just throwing that out there....

Nana is a center back that is his true position. He can play RB just as well but he is a CB first. That is where he has played for the U20s

trane
01-27-2009, 12:50 PM
^ We need to play him there. He has what it takes. He needs to be givne a chance.

Oldtimer
01-27-2009, 12:55 PM

...and that's the main point. We only need a mediocre CB to school this league.

However, if we got a really good one... and a good striker... now your talking the Cup final.

Hitcho
01-27-2009, 12:58 PM
velez is also really a right back, he's just never played there for TFC. positionally, that's a big switch, so no wonder he can be inconsistent.