PDA

View Full Version : 2009 Standings Guess

maple77
01-26-2009, 04:21 PM
Hello,

First post from someone who has never played football and admittedly knows little about the game. The only live soccer I have seen were a few Blizzard games at Varsity Stadium.

Now, from lurking on these and other related boards for a while, I have noticed that a few posters, no more than a handful, are vehement that TFC must make the playoffs this year or Johnston and possibly Carver too must go. Personally, I think that this is an extreme view – lack of significant, tangible progress on building the team year on year would be a more rational criterion in my opinion.

The Playoffs or Else stand does not allow for circumstances beyond reasonable TFC control. With the drivers of the bus steering the league toward parity it seems to me that in any given year, every team could end up anywhere from first to last, hopefully on merit but possibly depending on happenings beyond their control as well. As one glaring example of such a situation last year, Johnston had to deal with the bush league MLS scheduling that grievously harmed TFC’s chances. Other things such as injuries are always a concern for all teams in the league and that is mostly a matter of luck. On balance, I would say that Johnston has played the cards he was dealt very well since arriving at TFC.

The Fire Mo ultimatum sounds too much like a fatwa issued by a fundamentalist religious sect for my liking but it does lead me to a speculative question - if TFC are to make the playoffs in 2009, just which two (or more) teams will they have to beat to do it? Line-ups are subject to change right up to the summer transfer window I know but based on what is known on paper about the teams at this point in time, how would the Eastern Conference standings project, top to bottom, at the end of the regular season?

Thanks,
YS

Shakes McQueen
01-26-2009, 04:31 PM
I suspect the East will hack out a lot like it did this past season, but I suspect Toronto FC could take the playoffs in place of Kansas City or New York. We easily have a better team now than NYRB, on paper at least.

I expect us to finish in much the same position as Kansas City or New England did - pretty much equal on wins and losses, with a handful of draws.

Chicago and Columbus will likely remain top two in the conference - Columbus could possibly fall. As you said though, who knows... leagues with parity always have plenty of surprises.

This is roughly what I expect:

1. Columbus/Chicago
2. Chicago/Columbus
3. New England
4. Toronto
5. Kansas City/DC United
6. Kansas City/DC United
7. New York Energy Drinks

- Scott

Roogsy
01-26-2009, 04:42 PM
I choose not to run.

:cool:

trane
01-26-2009, 04:42 PM
Hello,

First post from someone who has never played football and admittedly knows little about the game. The only live soccer I have seen were a few Blizzard games at Varsity Stadium.

Now, from lurking on these and other related boards for a while, I have noticed that a few posters, no more than a handful, are vehement that TFC must make the playoffs this year or Johnston and possibly Carver too must go. Personally, I think that this is an extreme view – lack of significant, tangible progress on building the team year on year would be a more rational criterion in my opinion.

The Playoffs or Else stand does not allow for circumstances beyond reasonable TFC control. With the drivers of the bus steering the league toward parity it seems to me that in any given year, every team could end up anywhere from first to last, hopefully on merit but possibly depending on happenings beyond their control as well. As one glaring example of such a situation last year, Johnston had to deal with the bush league MLS scheduling that grievously harmed TFC’s chances. Other things such as injuries are always a concern for all teams in the league and that is mostly a matter of luck. On balance, I would say that Johnston has played the cards he was dealt very well since arriving at TFC.

The Fire Mo ultimatum sounds too much like a fatwa issued by a fundamentalist religious sect for my liking but it does lead me to a speculative question - if TFC are to make the playoffs in 2009, just which two (or more) teams will they have to beat to do it? Line-ups are subject to change right up to the summer transfer window I know but based on what is known on paper about the teams at this point in time, how would the Eastern Conference standings project, top to bottom, at the end of the regular season?

Thanks,
YS

Is this Mo?

A "fundametalist religious sect" is what footballl supportes are.

Please do not start making excuses for the team already. I think most on this board will agree not playing the playoffs in a , to put it kidly, a evenly matched league ( not to say mediocre) in the third year would be a failure. Clearly there may be circumsntces that may justify such a failure, but short of the entire team getting the plague I am not prepared to here any more excuses. Further most were not just disatisifed with the results, but more worrisome was the shite play on the pitch, full squad or not.

Shakes McQueen
01-26-2009, 04:47 PM
Is this Mo?

Please do not start making excuses for the team already. I think most on this board will agree not playing the playoffs in a , to put it kidly, a evenly matched league ( not to say mediocre) in the third year would be a failure. Clearly there may be circumsntces that may justify such a failure, but short of the entire team getting the plague I am not prepared to here any more excuses. Further most were not just disatisifed with the results, but more worrisome was the shite play on the pitch, full squad or not.

I don't know... if, for example, DeRo was to go down to a lengthy injury, it could dramatically alter our season. And you couldn't really pin that on Mo.

I expect playoffs this season, but I also recognize that there are a myriad of scenarios in which playoffs could not happen, and I wouldn't necessarily blame Mo or Carver.

- Scott

Stryker
01-26-2009, 04:49 PM
Hello,

Thanks,
YS

What'd you have for breakfast this morning; a thesaurus? :D
I expect they'll finish as high as 4th overall but I can see them dropping to as low as 7th also. Missing the playoffs will be a huge failure.

trane
01-26-2009, 04:51 PM
Scott,

What I want to see this season is better and more consistent team play. If I get that I would be happy. I would beleive that we are goin,g in the right direction. If that happens , De Ro or not, or any other player out for a strech, we should make the playoffs. If we do improive on the field and for some reason we just miss the playoffs I could accept it. However, I just thing better overall team play shuold almost automitically result in a play off spot.

Joe Kool
01-26-2009, 05:00 PM
We will finish 1st overall in the standings and win the MLS Cup. I am using the power of "The Secret" this year.

Shakes McQueen
01-26-2009, 05:10 PM
Scott,

What I want to see this season is better and more consistent team play. If I get that I would be happy. I would beleive that we are goin,g in the right direction. If that happens , De Ro or not, or any other player out for a strech, we should make the playoffs. If we do improive on the field and for some reason we just miss the playoffs I could accept it. However, I just thing better overall team play shuold almost automitically result in a play off spot.

We are in agreement on all of this. :D

- Scott

TFCREDNWHITE
01-26-2009, 05:23 PM
1st in the EAST!! We will have 12 wins 1 loss and 2 ties at home

on the road we will go 7 wins 3 losses and 5 ties

64 points total! we will become a powerhouse!!

ua-kozak_TFC
01-26-2009, 05:25 PM
Is this Mo?

you nailed it my friend... Right on...

Pachuco
01-26-2009, 05:27 PM
Hello,

Thanks,
YS

Well, being that Mo, Carver, DeRo and everyone else associated with TFC have said publicly that this year the goal is the playoffs, then I don't see why we can't hold them to their own standards.

Therefore, if we don't make the playoffs, fire Carver ;)

Beach_Red
01-26-2009, 05:30 PM
Therefore, if we don't make the playoffs, fire Carver ;)

Playoffs and Canadian Championship.

Pachuco
01-26-2009, 05:30 PM
Playoffs and Canadian Championship.

True that!

mighty_torontofc_2008
01-26-2009, 06:09 PM
2009 East final Standings West Final Standings
1. Chicago Fire 1. Real Salt Lake
2. DC United 2. FC Dallas
3. Toronto FC:D 3. Colorado Rapids
4. NY Red Bulls 4. Chivas USA
5. Kansas City Wizards 5. Houston Dynamo
6, New england revolution 6. LA Galaxy
7 Columbus Crew 7. Seattle Sounders
8. San Jose Earthquakes

MLS cup Final: Chicago Fire 2 Real Salt Lake 1

Superliga teams: DC UTD, Toronto FC, FC Dallas, Colorado Rapids

ExiledRed
01-26-2009, 06:28 PM
Well, being that Mo, Carver, DeRo and everyone else associated with TFC have said publicly that this year the goal is the playoffs;)

What a pointless statement.

The goal every year, in this league of parity, is to win the league and the cup.

What was last years 'goal'?, to suck arse?

TorCanSoc
01-26-2009, 06:35 PM
^:smilielol5: