PDA

View Full Version : Some News For "Red" Waiting Listers

Shakes McQueen
01-26-2009, 04:18 PM
Got a call from a ticket rep this afternoon. He was selling the TFC/Marlies partial packs. Apparently they still haven't sold out - in fact, he was able to piece together 17 TFC games for me, all in Section 110. Of course, this also came with 18 Marlies tickets, and cost over $1700 before tax. :D

He did drop one interesting bit of information, when he told me the red waiting list is around 9000 people long. For one, this number seems to be smaller than others we have seen quoted.

Secondly, every red member previously had the option to buy these partial packs about a month ago, when they emailed us all - and yet they didn't sell out. Does this indicate that, although there may physically be several thousand names on the list, most of them aren't willing to pay a premium price to get tickets?

Anyway, at this point my phone battery died, so the conversation abruptly ended. At one point he asked me what my hesitation was the first time around, and I told him in detail about the specific concerns many Red Patch Boys and supporters in general have with being forced to buy AHL hockey tickets, just to see their fucking football club play.

His response was to tell me that they have a program upon which my Marlies tickets can be donated. Not sure why that was supposed to be helpful, but at least he asked me what my concerns were, I guess.

So, for all of you red listers, you will likely be getting a phone call from a ticket rep in the near future. It sounds like they are calling people at random, as he didn't know where on the list I was.

- Scott

rocker
01-26-2009, 04:45 PM
He did drop one interesting bit of information, when he told me the red waiting list is around 9000 people long. For one, this number seems to be smaller than others we have seen quoted.

Secondly, every red member previously had the option to buy these partial packs about a month ago, when they emailed us all - and yet they didn't sell out. Does this indicate that, although there may physically be several thousand names on the list, most of them aren't willing to pay a premium price to get tickets?

It's interesting cuz that 9000 number was quoted in an English newspaper article on John Carver.. so that's twice now it's been cited.

I was wondering about the hesitancy of people to buy those packs. I think it just shows that there's some sort of pride in having full seasons and the packs don't do it... and that the market isn't quite as deep as people might think. I don't think that 9000 number means there's the potential for 29000-38000 TFC fans at games if they expand the stadium. I think it means under the right circumstances, at the right price, at the right time they could possibly convert many of those.. maybe not to full seasons tho (unless the price is really cheap).

This is why I never want the stadium expanded beyond 25000. If you had 5000 more seats you'd easily satisfy all this demand without the fear of empty seats.

Joe Kool
01-26-2009, 04:54 PM
I am glad to see they are getting some pushback on the Marlies packs. How else are they going to get the message? Problem is that diehard fans were not going to be able to say no so they could one day get full seasons. The 1200 packs they offered this year was at least double what they were trying to sell last year I think. Someone correct me if I am wrong. I think they came into this year's ticket sales rather bullish and now are seeing that not everyone on their bragged about waiting list is as desperate as they thought.

giambac
01-26-2009, 04:56 PM
Got a call from a ticket rep this afternoon. He was selling the TFC/Marlies partial packs. Apparently they still haven't sold out - in fact, he was able to piece together 17 TFC games for me, all in Section 110. Of course, this also came with 18 Marlies tickets, and cost over $1700 before tax. :D

Anyway, at this point my phone battery died, so the conversation abruptly ended. At one point he asked me what my hesitation was the first time around, and I told him in detail about the specific concerns many Red Patch Boys and supporters in general have with being forced to buy AHL hockey tickets, just to see their fucking football club play.

His response was to tell me that they have a program upon which my Marlies tickets can be donated. Not sure why that was supposed to be helpful, but at least he asked me what my concerns were, I guess.

So, for all of you red listers, you will likely be getting a phone call from a ticket rep in the near future. It sounds like they are calling people at random, as he didn't know where on the list I was.

- Scott

In being forced to purchase Marlie tickets to get your TFC tickets you got screwed.

Also to answer your question they can throw out whatever #'s they want about the waiting list. At the end of the day people will not pay outrageous prices. In other words if they had a 20,000 waiting list, I'm sure they would all be willing to purchase supporter section seats behind the goal at $10-$15/ticket. However those same 20,000 on the waiting list wouldn't purchase tickets in the red section or dark grey section.

I say the real/true die hard supporters on the waiting list who would purchase tickets anywhere or at any price range is is probaly around 2,000 -5,000.

Toronto Gunner
01-26-2009, 04:57 PM
Rocker has an excellent point. During the Gold List calls a number of RPBs mentioned that they turned down season's because all was available was dark grey and red. Chances are, the only way that those 9000 would join would be if the tickets offered were at the lower price points.

Oldtimer
01-26-2009, 04:59 PM
It's interesting cuz that 9000 number was quoted in an English newspaper article on John Carver.. so that's twice now it's been cited.

I was wondering about the hesitancy of people to buy those packs. I think it just shows that there's some sort of pride in having full seasons and the packs don't do it... and that the market isn't quite as deep as people might think. I don't think that 9000 number means there's the potential for 29000-38000 TFC fans at games if they expand the stadium. I think it means under the right circumstances, at the right price, at the right time they could possibly convert many of those.. maybe not to full seasons tho (unless the price is really cheap).

This is why I never want the stadium expanded beyond 25000. If you had 5000 more seats you'd easily satisfy all this demand without the fear of empty seats.

9000 STH. 2 tickets each (on average). = 18,000 tix.

add to the current base, and you get over 30,000.

They'd have to price it right, though. :D

TFC HSV
01-26-2009, 05:03 PM
Interesting. Thanks for sharing. MLSE needs to stop fucking us with marlies tickets. I like the marlies I go to games but I want to buy tickets for TFC. The price is practically double thanks to the marlies tickets. I would've bought it for sure if the marlies tickets werent there and Im sure a lot of others would have too.

MLSE took it for granted that toronto and the gta is anything more then a leafs town when it comes to hockey.

Shakes McQueen
01-26-2009, 05:03 PM
Personally I was one mouse click away from buying one of these Marlies packs back in December, when they emailed us. I had all of my credit card information typed in, and just needed to complete the transaction - but I couldn't do it.

As much as I wanted to get on the gold list to get season's tickets, I just couldn't reconcile my desire as a supporter, with my principle of not getting bullied into paying out the nose to see the team I love. I figured I would just go another year of trying to get single tickets through the exchange here, or my godfather, who is a STH. Last year I managed to go to 15 matches, so it actually worked out better than one of these "partial packs".

But yes - hopefully they get the message from this, and next year don't bother bundling Marlies games in with them.

- Scott

Shakes McQueen
01-26-2009, 05:08 PM
Rocker has an excellent point. During the Gold List calls a number of RPBs mentioned that they turned down season's because all was available was dark grey and red. Chances are, the only way that those 9000 would join would be if the tickets offered were at the lower price points.

The funny thing is, if I got offered proper seasons tickets in one of those sections, I would gladly pay whatever ridiculous amount it cost to get them.

But I can't reconcile paying $2000 for a SINGLE TICKET, when I know that over half of that cost is for Marlies tickets the rep happily told me I could donate if I didn't want them! haha!

So for this season I am again on the outside looking in, scraping together tickets on a match by match basis, like a Red Patch Boy Hobo.

- Scott

Joe Kool
01-26-2009, 05:08 PM
They'd have to price it right, though. :D

That's the problem. They wouldn't. Any expansion on the East side will include Reds and Dark Grey's which they will have a difficult time selling and they know it. Plus they are bumping up prices each year so by the time any expansion happens those new tickets will cost that much more. I went for Dark Grey seasons to get off Gold list this year but only because I was lucky enough to find someone to buy 7 games off me to put it more in my price range. I don't really think they can afford expansion at this point because it will end up in some empty seats through the middle of the park which would suck for atmosphere.

spezz44
01-26-2009, 05:09 PM
i declined, why would i wanna see a terrible hockey teams farm team. the arguments their that they did make a good run into the playoffs last year but i would only go to these games if they had some solid prospects. which is not the case for if they were they would be with the big club, except maybe pogge. however im not shelling over my money to watch that team play. its just an mlse scam to get more people to those games.

werewolf
01-26-2009, 05:09 PM

Not only is it the higher priced tickets for TFC games, but then spending another few hundred dollars on something that really doesn't interest you.

I can't imagine (though I am sure it does) this happening in another city. I am a Steelers fan, and there tickets are pretty hard to get. If there ticket office called and said I could buy a 4-game pack in one of the higher priced categories, but I had to buy a dozen Pirates tickets too, I would kindly tell them to pound sand.

TFC HSV
01-26-2009, 05:11 PM
I hope your right. I know 2 STH so I went to about 10 games last year. The other part that bugged me was the timing. Right in the middle of december. There was other stuff christmas among other things higher up on the list. I hope they call me. I'll echo your sentiments.

AL-MO
01-26-2009, 05:12 PM
When I read about the FO trying to peddle Marlies tickets on TFC Supporters I thank god that I choose to buy tickets in the South End one night in December 2006.

TFC HSV
01-26-2009, 05:19 PM
Your lucky. I had no way to get to games when it started.

daner90
01-26-2009, 05:21 PM
I could'nt afford tickets without the Marlies tacked on just because the seats that are left are so expensive. I will also be using the ticket trader to get into games this season...

TFC HSV
01-26-2009, 05:23 PM
I hope they get the message loud and clear

Shakes McQueen
01-26-2009, 05:28 PM
When I read about the FO trying to peddle Marlies tickets on TFC Supporters I thank god that I choose to buy tickets in the South End one night in December 2006.

And when I think of you doing that, I cry about the fact that I was still a poor, unemployed University student in December 2006, and never had the opportunity to buy TFC season's tickets before they became all the rage with the prawn cocktail crowd. :D

- Scott

MFG1
01-26-2009, 06:47 PM

dont forget to also have to pay those prices and have noone around that wants to celebrate, "please sit down, hey newcomer, our section likes to talk about how many more weeks until grey's anatomy starts, so be quiet too please

egoodwin
01-26-2009, 07:11 PM
He did drop one interesting bit of information, when he told me the red waiting list is around 9000 people long.

that is red waiting list

not including the gold waiting list and platinum

ginkster88
01-26-2009, 07:27 PM
that is red waiting list

not including the gold waiting list and platinum

Platinum is existing ST holders, I believe. I really really hope that nobody buys into the scam and they are forced to offer the TFC tickets as-is to the public, preferably starting with the Gold list. Obviously people who already purchased the Marlies tickets would be up in arms, but I wonder if they will be able to sell all of the tickets tied up in those "All-Sports" packages or whatever they call them.

Sonny Cheeba
01-26-2009, 07:30 PM
i didn't get an email... they seem to be hit and miss. i got a ticket through someone else though for the upcoming season.

Erkan16
01-26-2009, 07:33 PM
i declined last year, but i couldnt stay away this year. its just a one time stupid thing and i will never have to think about "Marlies" again after this year.

lucky for me, my dad and brother are BIG hockey fans so i gave them the tickets. funny thing, even they didnt want them... HOCKEY FANS didnt want them. what does that tell you.

dupont
01-26-2009, 07:37 PM
Got a call from a ticket rep this afternoon. He was selling the TFC/Marlies partial packs. Apparently they still haven't sold out - in fact, he was able to piece together 17 TFC games for me, all in Section 110. Of course, this also came with 18 Marlies tickets, and cost over $1700 before tax. :D- Scott

hey there. I bought 2 seats in pack A and 2 seats in pack B and I'm trying to figure out how what you bought came out to 1700 dollars..

what pack combo did you buy?

torontocelt
01-26-2009, 08:47 PM
On the Toronto FC website they are claiming that package A and B are sold out? The amount of inaccurate information which comes out of that club is incredibly frustrating. How can they claim they are all sold yet somehow manage to piece together a package of 17 games?

Toronto FC have no idea how to treat their fans right, making people buy hockey tickets (which I atually done) is really taking the piss. What I would like answered is do Raptors fans and leaf fans have to buy all sports packages which include tickets to other totally unrelated sports or is it just TFC fans who get the privalege of having to do this? For the record I went to the Marlies game on Saturday and it was alright and I aint a hockey fan really. If I had the choice though I would prefer not to have to buy them to go and watch a game of football.

One last thing $1700 for tickets that are not even season tickets is a complete rip off. I don't really know how much a season ticket is for premiership football but I would imagine that at some clubs you could get them for $1200 or so. Certainly to see Celtic in Scotland you could get one for $800 I would say. For the standard of football on offer at TFC they should not be selling season tickets no matter where they are in the ground for more than $700.

supernothingman
01-26-2009, 09:03 PM
One last thing $1700 for tickets that are not even season tickets is a complete rip off. I don't really know how much a season ticket is for premiership football but I would imagine that at some clubs you could get them for $1200 or so. Certainly to see Celtic in Scotland you could get one for $800 I would say. For the standard of football on offer at TFC they should not be selling season tickets no matter where they are in the ground for more than $700.

I've been a Cisco Roma season ticket holder and paid around $200. I know that's Serie C2B but shamefully, the level of football isn't too far off.

It really is pathetic, when you think of it.

RedRum
01-26-2009, 09:26 PM
Last year I managed to go to 15 matches, so it actually worked out better than one of these "partial packs".
- Scott

Good on you that's the right call to not buy the Marlies tickets. Season 1 I paid face - $50 per ticket (ticket trader here, a buddy who got them through work, and last minute postings on Craigslist). Season 2 was all face thanks to supporters helping me out.

You want it bad enough, shit will pan out for you. There are ALOT of good people on here that believe in helping supporters out. Just bide your time and be patient. No need for the force-fed Marlies tix ;)

Shakes McQueen
01-26-2009, 10:10 PM
Good on you that's the right call to not buy the Marlies tickets. Season 1 I paid face - $50 per ticket (ticket trader here, a buddy who got them through work, and last minute postings on Craigslist). Season 2 was all face thanks to supporters helping me out.

You want it bad enough, shit will pan out for you. There are ALOT of good people on here that believe in helping supporters out. Just bide your time and be patient. No need for the force-fed Marlies tix ;)

That is what I'm counting on. No way I was going to pay $1700 to be guaranteed two more games than I went to all of last season, at about 4X the cost, haha.

- Scott

Shakes McQueen
01-26-2009, 10:14 PM
hey there. I bought 2 seats in pack A and 2 seats in pack B and I'm trying to figure out how what you bought came out to 1700 dollars..

what pack combo did you buy?

I think it's because it was in Section 110 (a pretty good spot). I also think he was adding up the cost of a Package A, B, and C seat. It sounded about right, from what I remember the cost being.

I didn't buy it though. I love Toronto FC, and I plan on going to tons of games again this season - but not like that. I refuse to get bent over a stump, and forced to buy Marlies tickets.

- Scott

werewolf
01-26-2009, 10:20 PM
Bolton lower season-ticket prices

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/b/bolton_wanderers/6381533.stm

The club's manager, Sam Allardyce, said: "We are sensitive to the economic demands on our supporters."
He told the Bolton website: "We are committed to rolling back the price of watching football at the Reebok Stadium next season.
"We have to recognise that fans have to dig deep in their pockets to watch top-flight football.
"This has become a serious issue that has reached a crescendo across the country and we feel duty bound to make a stance by reducing the cost for our season-ticket holders."

Bolton's current most expensive season ticket, priced at £499 with discount, will drop to £449.
The Trotters are keen to encourage younger supporters and families back to the Reebok.
A family season ticket for two adults and two children, currently priced at £960 will be reduced to £864, which means a family of four will be able to watch a game for £45.
http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/shared/img/o.gif

Shakes McQueen
01-26-2009, 10:22 PM
So they wanted me to pay about $500 more for a ticket in Section 110 for 17 games (not quite a full season), than it costs for the best seats in the house as a Bolton fan, haha!

- Scott

Toronto Ruffrider
01-26-2009, 10:49 PM
I'm just glad I'm high enough on the Gold list to avoid this shit. I'll take deals such as my D & E packs any day, rather than being forced to buy expensive seasons or unwanted Marlies tickets.

Super
01-26-2009, 10:57 PM
SHAME, SHAME, SHAME on you MLSE!

The next time I see an MLSE employee walking around in the rain, I'll offer to sell him my umbrella for $5 if he buys the contents of my trashcan for $500.

Gixmo
01-26-2009, 10:58 PM
I won't hide, I picked up a partial pack a few weeks ago.. only because it was top row of 111 and once I do it, I won't have to again. My ticket rep ' made it seem ' like next year I get the half season option, or the full season is the other 'half' doesn't renew.

cmonyoureds
01-26-2009, 11:05 PM
Hey Gixmo, don't get too excited, i've bought Marlies partials two years in a row.

Here's the kicker, if you call front office right now you can buy a partial pack regardless if you've ever been on a waiting list.
Now the question is do these people that walk up two years after the waiting list is created get bumped to the Gold list ahead of the people that signed up before them?
LOL

nfitz
01-26-2009, 11:32 PM
Now the question is do these people that walk up two years after the waiting list is created get bumped to the Gold list ahead of the people that signed up before them?That's how it works - though they'll be bottom of the Gold list.

S_D
01-27-2009, 12:15 AM
yeah I got the same call about the marlies tix. I said no thanks, I am only interested in TFC games. If I wanted to go see the marlies, I can get the tickets cheaper from scalpers :)

Pachuco
01-27-2009, 09:10 AM
And people wonder why there is so much hatred for MLSE. Guys, it's really not all that hard to get tickets to TFC games. Season 1 I had no season tickets and let me tell you, I missed one home game and that was because I was away. Last year when I had seasons I was giving TFC tickets away and they were being declined. ON THESE BOARDS. So please, do yourself a favor and simply wait and I'm sure you'll get tickets.

I_AM_CANADIAN
01-27-2009, 09:17 AM

- Scott
I was emailed, but at the time literally couldn't afford it... And anyway, I'll never use the Marlies tickets, and at the moment I can't be throwing money at tickets I'll never use.

BuSaPuNk
01-27-2009, 09:21 AM
^ The problem is there are lots of tickets and everyone knows it. The problem is everyone wants to be in the southend. They won't spend there money otherwise. I got the marlies pack in 227 only because I wanted to get off the red list and on to the gold. Also the availablity of the Tickettrader was a big reason I bought one in the first place. You have to take your punches before you get what you want.

SilverSamurai
01-27-2009, 09:32 AM
I also got a call last week.
Was offered 6 TFC and 6 Marlies games for $360ish. I was told it included the home season ender, the Canada Cup matches and the friendly. I also was told that I'm around the 4,000 mark on the red list.
In other words, I'm only going to be getting seasons if they ever expand the damn place!

AL-MO
01-27-2009, 11:47 AM
^ The problem is there are lots of tickets and everyone knows it. The problem is everyone wants to be in the southend. They won't spend there money otherwise. I got the marlies pack in 227 only because I wanted to get off the red list and on to the gold. Also the availablity of the Tickettrader was a big reason I bought one in the first place. You have to take your punches before you get what you want.

Sadly its not for the right reasons.

BuSaPuNk
01-27-2009, 12:46 PM
^ That is true. Sure I want to get into the southend as well (for the right reasons) however I still want to go to every game doesn't matter southend, northend, clubs, shit i'll go anywhere becuase I support my team.

Boondaddy
01-27-2009, 01:02 PM
Personally I was one mouse click away from buying one of these Marlies packs back in December, when they emailed us. I had all of my credit card information typed in, and just needed to complete the transaction - but I couldn't do it.

As much as I wanted to get on the gold list to get season's tickets, I just couldn't reconcile my desire as a supporter, with my principle of not getting bullied into paying out the nose to see the team I love. I figured I would just go another year of trying to get single tickets through the exchange here, or my godfather, who is a STH. Last year I managed to go to 15 matches, so it actually worked out better than one of these "partial packs".

But yes - hopefully they get the message from this, and next year don't bother bundling Marlies games in with them.

- Scott

This is EXACTLY my situation as well....I got a single to almost every match last season...so why would I allow myself to get bullied into moving up the ladder? I would have gladly bought a partial had the marlie component and the inflated prices dropped....if it's loyalty their after, throw in some other soccer-related events and I'LL BUY!!

Toronto Ruffrider
01-27-2009, 04:41 PM
This is EXACTLY my situation as well....I got a single to almost every match last season...so why would I allow myself to get bullied into moving up the ladder? I would have gladly bought a partial had the marlie component and the inflated prices dropped....if it's loyalty their after, throw in some other soccer-related events and I'LL BUY!!

I'd buy an All Seasons package if it included TFC Academy games instead of Marlies games. This approach would create a lot of exposure around our budding football talent.

smeghead
01-27-2009, 05:46 PM
I'd buy an All Seasons package if it included TFC Academy games instead of Marlies games. This approach would create a lot of exposure around our budding football talent.

Thats a bloody good idea. Surprised MLSE nevver thought of that.

Nestease
01-27-2009, 06:07 PM
My girlfriend got a call from them and called me immediately. They were for the partial packs.

I can't remember the seat locations but there were two seating arrangements. They were $600 and $800+ for pairs. I'm already upset by the fact they try to hold you hostage with Marlie tickets, but the price isn't that much better than buying individual tickets anyways, if not worse.

My gf told me they said there was a "premium" game in the package. I thought to myself that was interesting. I wondered if they might get another Aston Villa type match for the season. I asked her if they told her what the premium game was. She said "David Beckham and the LA Galaxy". That put me over the edge. I said screw it, we'll just keep buying individual games.

nfitz
01-27-2009, 07:25 PM
Ah - that's it. Milan must be playing the International Friendly this year! :)

egoodwin
01-27-2009, 07:31 PM
Ah - that's it. Milan must be playing the International Friendly this year! :)
and Beckham will fake another injury :P

Fushida
01-27-2009, 07:40 PM
I also got a call last week.
Was offered 6 TFC and 6 Marlies games for $360ish. I was told it included the home season ender, the Canada Cup matches and the friendly. I also was told that I'm around the 4,000 mark on the red list.
In other words, I'm only going to be getting seasons if they ever expand the damn place!

That's pretty much what I got... except the price was around $670 for 6 TFC in light grey and 6 Marlies. Heck if they offered $360 for 6 games and moving out of the red list... I'd probably have taken it. But $670... over $100 per TFC game was over the top.

SilverSamurai
01-27-2009, 07:44 PM
That's pretty much what I got... except the price was around $670 for 6 TFC in light grey and 6 Marlies. Heck if they offered $360 for 6 games and moving out of the red list... I'd probably have taken it. But $670... over $100 per TFC game was over the top.
I had that price for 2.
I then asked for 1 ticket, but well I'm poor. Just paid tuition..
ohwell...

jvanpeebles
01-27-2009, 09:41 PM
I guess I am one of the unfortunate ones who got screwed into buying this package for the simple right of being moved up to gold waiting list. I am not a fan of the Marlies and it is not convienient to get to a game. This team has done many things right but this was what I forsee to be one of many slaps in the face in the future. I wanted very much to get seaons and will be looking on this feed to get as many games as possible for this year. I suspect there are enough peope out here that are in the same position.
Any games out there with 2 to 4 tickets i would love to see a game. For now I'll settle for the few games I have and hopefor more. I can tell you though I won't be forced into this again next year.