PDA

View Full Version : Toronto FC to become a continental superpower?

parrott114
01-26-2009, 12:21 PM
http://www.mls-rumors.net/2009/01/report-toronto-fc-to-become-superpower.html

sorry if this has already been posted

SLBuu
01-26-2009, 12:24 PM
thats pretty ambitious......

billyfly
01-26-2009, 12:26 PM
I've always wanted to rule a continent.

Wagner
01-26-2009, 12:33 PM
pretty sure it's just a rumour.
but it would be awesome if even 2 of those things were true (except for the branded spa)

ua-kozak_TFC
01-26-2009, 12:33 PM
hahahaha I read it too and i had mixed feelings... I think that should be the uktimate vision for toronto fc... But if you look at it realistically... they don;t realize how hard it is tobecome a soccer super power...
You think real Madridm Barca man U, AC Milan and such did it over night? you become a super power when you estavlish a CULTURE of WINNING...you do that by building a winning team

ALthough signing dero is really good step to becoming a winning team. You can;t correlate that with becomeing supper power.

They should try to WALK... before they can fly...There are many othe things that they need to achive before setting such aambicious goal. For example:

....Not playing like, a bunch of amateurs in a random park
....Playing well.
....making the play offs.
....winning a trophy??
....winning many trophies.
....winning many many many trophies...

And then you;ll become a super power.

Damien
01-26-2009, 12:34 PM
First the playoffs....

THEN THE WORLD! MUAHAHA!

flatpicker
01-26-2009, 12:35 PM
None of the goals mentioned there are impossible.
But it would likely take several years to obtain most of them.

Grass pitch? Probably will happen in the next 2 years or so.
Seat expansion? I could see 30,000 if the league continues to show some growth over the next couple of years. I also think it would be important to have another Canadian side in the league for this... it would raise the interest in the league throughout Canada if we had a national rival and that would help sell tickets.
Roof? I think that will happen too, but likely not until expansion is dealt with. So that could mean 5 years or so?
Prem partnership? That could happen at any time, and it can't hurt.
DP from SA? Sure, but how soon? With DeRo here I'm not convinced a DP will arrive without the cap being raised.
Academy? This is really important to the strength of a club. Unfortunately there are so many restriction from the league that it makes it almost impossible to actually develop and keep young players within your system.
Second DP? not until the cap goes up!

Steve
01-26-2009, 12:42 PM
Oh come on, that email says nothing. Oh really? TFC as an organization is planning on improving all parts of itself and becoming more successful? That's surprising! Come on, that's basic stuff you would expect to see in any company. It's a long term goals thing, that's what they want to be aiming at. That doesn't mean you will see it soon, it doesn't even mean it will happen, it just means that TFC is looking at growth (specifically, that TFC is telling their employees they are looking to grow). It means nothing to us.

Stouffville_RPB
01-26-2009, 12:46 PM
would love nothing more than for this to be true. the only time i ever saw all this happen was in my dreams.

tlear
01-26-2009, 12:50 PM
Salary cap means there can be no super power.. if it went up to 40mil.. maybe :p

7. More community involvement, perhaps the building of a TFC sports centre where fans can become members and play soccer, basketball as well as work out the TFC way in a TFC branded and themed gym and spa.

This is a great idea.. kindof like traditional sport clubs in europe. This is really genius way to market the team.

8. Plans to become a continental superpower in CONCACAF's Champions League. The goal this year is to win it and get a spot at the FIFA Club World Cup.

Win CONCACAF CL this year.. wow This is definitely something to shoot for

9. The building of a TFC youth academy in Brasil to keep an eye on and perhaps sign young players.

Interesting idea, the better higher some Brazillians to help out with this, managing this is going to be VERY tricky I think

supernothingman
01-26-2009, 12:54 PM
Spells like more MLSE bullshit.

Super
01-26-2009, 12:57 PM
Sounds like a hoax to me.

ensco
01-26-2009, 01:53 PM
No mention of ICBMs or nuclear submarines, without those it's a long shot

TheRenter
01-26-2009, 01:58 PM
what about the practice facility (with real grass)?

mighty_torontofc_2008
01-26-2009, 02:03 PM
Grass would be great...the roof idea they can stick up there rear ends. im more worried about dominating of division/conference before the continent.

Detroit_TFC
01-26-2009, 02:16 PM
Oh man, somebody is winding them up good.:rolleyes:

Fort York Redcoat
01-26-2009, 02:35 PM
A lot to overcome but the biggest is bloody parity.

ExiledRed
01-26-2009, 02:47 PM
You think real Madridm Barca man U, AC Milan and such did it over night? .

It worked for Chelski.

ensco
01-26-2009, 03:05 PM
It worked for Chelski.

It took 15+ years.

Ken Bates and Matthew Harding did a lot of the work. They were solid football people, and huge beneficiaries of the London property boom, which enabled them to get out of debt and modernize Stamford Bridge. Then Abramovich arrived with his chequebook.

Pretty hard to replicate all that. Just ask any Spurs supporter.

trane
01-26-2009, 03:28 PM
^ This is not the EPL, this is the MLS, the only other league worth while in CONCAF, is the Mexican league, and we could be competing with their top clubs in 10 years if we do it right, and/or spend enough money.

Hustle
01-26-2009, 03:33 PM
If anybody deserves to ruled the continent, its Us.

I would rather aim high and keep the pressure on to achieve these things...

I wouldn't be surprised if MLSE gauges fan support by looking at our board and setting priorities so everybody needs to keep bitching and setting high standards.

Fort York Redcoat
01-26-2009, 03:38 PM
what's the parity like in the Mexico? Here's it's what holds teams back.

trane
01-26-2009, 03:43 PM
^ I do know much abou the Mexican leagues. I think that there are a few big clubs, America ( Mexico city), and Les Tigres are two of those I am aware about. But I do not think that parity is an issue. I forgot Guadaljar you know Chivas, [ I think some of you may ahve heard of them].

Roogsy
01-26-2009, 03:44 PM
Too long term. We haven't even made the playoffs yet.

We are a force in the MLS, but even then, there are aspects of TFC that still marginalizes us, in particular, the whole Canadian aspect.

This can be overcome with a culture of WINNING as ua-kozak mentioned, but that is still a ways off.

Then the MLS would have to look at the salary cap situation, which until now has been useful but now is hindering growth.

Fort York Redcoat
01-26-2009, 03:47 PM
^ I do know much abou the Mexican leagues. I think that there are a few big clubs, America ( Mexico city), and Les Tigres are two of those I am aware about. But I do not think that parity is an issue.

My point. Parity hinders growth beyond the domestic league. It would be a time before any MLS team outranks Chivas or America.

trane
01-26-2009, 04:36 PM
^ I agree. I have always said that the salary cap is a double edged sword, it helps small teams survive, but it hinders the development of a truly great club.

Shakes McQueen
01-26-2009, 04:43 PM
My point. Parity hinders growth beyond the domestic league. It would be a time before any MLS team outranks Chivas or America.

I agree that parity prevents dominant superpower teams from developing, but I don't necessarily see that as a bad thing.

It should be noted that salaries in leagues like the NBA and MLB, are actually higher than the EPL. Its the unique-to-soccer concept of "transfer fees", where things get out of hand.

But who is to say that MLS couldn't eventually state "okay, everyone has a salary cap, but you can pay whatever you want in transfer fees". Then the richer clubs can choose to pay out the nose to buy marquee talent from other clubs - giving them a small advantage. But everyone can pay their players the same amount salary wise, encouraging less wealthy clubs to grow their talent at home, so to speak.

That is the ultimate reality I see for MLS. The cap will never go away, but I suspect the limits on transfer fees will. This will be largely at the insistence of the wealthy clubs.

- Scott

giambac
01-26-2009, 05:00 PM
http://www.mls-rumors.net/2009/01/report-toronto-fc-to-become-superpower.html

sorry if this has already been posted

Worry about making the plaoffs.

worry about not coming last again in your division and near alst in the league.

Forget the stupid superpower bullshit.:noidea::drinking:

Redcoe15
01-26-2009, 05:26 PM
That sounds nice. Too bad it was posted on MLS Rumors. That's like the kiss of death.