PDA

View Full Version : TFC - Recognition Abroad

Hitcho
01-26-2009, 12:19 PM
A mate of mine was in Canada in September on honeymoon and I gave him and his newly wedded wife tickets to the Dynamo game at BMO Field. He's a footie fan (season ticket holder at Highbury and now the Emirates since he was a kid) and bought a TFC shirt and scarf. He was wearing the shirt at a gym in fleet street the other day and someone shouted at him "THIS IS OUR HOUSE!!!" - sweet!

Anyone else had their TFC gear recognised outside of North America? I know there was a thread on here a while back with a TFC scarf on the hoardings behind the goal at a Rangers game.

dupont
01-26-2009, 12:50 PM
I was DJing at a club in Glasgow wearing a TFC hoodie and the bouncer at the door shouted at me "YES! TORONTO FC!!! NICE ONE!!" in his thick scottish accent.

I was really surprised hearing that then he came over to ask me where I got it to which I replied that I live in Toronto.

What a proud moment! :canada:

jvanpeebles
01-26-2009, 12:58 PM
was shopping online and found a person in wales who was selling a TFC jersey. Bought it for my son so he could bring it on home

supernothingman
01-26-2009, 01:02 PM
Was in Egypt and an older, British couple recognized my kit and started to ask questions. They were Chesterfield FC fans and talked about the love/hate relationship with a low tiered club. It was a memorable encounter. When I got back home, I mailed them two TFC t-shirts.

Hugh Jazz
01-26-2009, 01:06 PM
I got stopped at a couple spots while wearing my kit in Italy, albeit from fellow Torontonians but it was still cool nonetheless.

ensco
01-26-2009, 01:50 PM
Wore my TFC toque (the black Kia one) in the terraces of an Eintracht Frankfurt game. Black and red are the EF colours also. Two different german guys tried to buy the toque off me.

rocker
01-26-2009, 02:02 PM
A mate of mine was in Canada in September on honeymoon and I gave him and his newly wedded wife tickets to the Dynamo game at BMO Field.

what did he think of the experience at BMO?

Hitcho
01-26-2009, 03:23 PM
^ He loved it. Given that he goes to EPL games on a weekly basis, that's pretty good I'd say. He really liked the THIS IS OUR HOUSE chant, especially when it got going really loudly on corners etc and thought it should be used more in the UK. He even had his picture taken next to a big Dichio cardboard cut out at the game. Legend!

Jeffro
01-26-2009, 03:34 PM
My buddy was in England... I forget which city it was, but he had on a TFC jersey, and someone mistook it for Liverpool from the back. The guy confronted my buddy to tell him that he and his Liverpool were not welcome there. My buddy turned around to show his TFC, the guy turned bright red and everyone at the bar had a good laugh at him.

werewolf
01-26-2009, 03:42 PM
I am going to the Emirates next month, sitting first row behind the net. Maybe I will bring a scarf or toque or something. Normally I am against that kind of thing, but since everyone finds it acceptable or justifiable to wear whatever kit falls out of their closet to BMO, maybe I can make an exception to spite that.

flatpicker
01-26-2009, 03:45 PM
I am going to the Emirates next month, sitting first row behind the net. Maybe I will bring a scarf or toque or something. Normally I am against that kind of thing, but since everyone finds it acceptable or justifiable to wear whatever kit falls out of their closet to BMO, maybe I can make an exception to spite that.

you might be best sticking with a TFC ball cap or something.

Sab0tage
01-26-2009, 03:46 PM
I haven't taken any of my TFC stuff abroad yet. I'm going to Dublin and Belfast in May so I'll be taking my jersey there. I want to try and catch a few games while over there so hopefully that's possible, too.

Joe Kool
01-26-2009, 03:54 PM
I never went overseas with my gear yet but I was walking through Times Square in New York wearing my jersey when I heard some people start yelling "This is our house". They were some tourists from Calgary. They were really excited to talk about the team. Nice to see some love from out west.

Joe Kool
01-26-2009, 03:55 PM
....and they also thought the Red Bulls were shite!!!

C.Ronaldo
01-26-2009, 03:59 PM
on a cruise , i saw some kid with a galaxy jersey.

the kid was from L.A. and spotted the TFC jersey a mile away.

I saw lot of mls football kits down there

AL-MO
01-26-2009, 04:04 PM
I bet if you asked this question on the Crew board, you'd hear how MASSIVE they are. :lol:

Hustle
01-26-2009, 04:19 PM
I went to a Bayern Munich match in November, and although I wore my FCB scarf and toque, I had my TFC scarf tied around my wrist which is what the supporters there typically do with previous years scarfs....it was pretty sweet. Some guys had 4 scarfs tied around each wrist and its a wicked sight when they start givin 'er.

Good or Bad, Donovan going over there really made people want to know more about MLS so I schooled them on TFC.

Hitcho
01-26-2009, 04:24 PM
you might be best sticking with a TFC ball cap or something.

I dunno. Can't speak for the Emirates because I've never been there, but certainly from my experience of footie back home, if you wear an MLS shirt to a game then you might (or will) get some banter about "who the fuck are they then?!" etc, but it shouldn't put you at any risk, because why would arsenal fans have anything against TFC? Haven't they got some kind of feeder arrangement with Colorado in place anyway?

Shakes McQueen
01-26-2009, 04:24 PM

Small team in a different league on a different continent - I bet most of the Brits there would just be interested to hear about the club. :D

- Scott

TorontoBlades
01-26-2009, 05:02 PM
I got a shout out...in all places Boulder Colorado...from a huge Irishman Celtic supporter who said he loved the side and thought it the best on the continent...

...he also laughed at us for signing Bombscare, and commented on how many of his mates would love to "meet" MoJo

RealG-TFC
01-26-2009, 07:11 PM
I was in Playa Del Carmen and one of the guys at a store (Mexican Guy) was asking me about the team.

Hitcho
01-26-2009, 09:05 PM
Small team in a different league on a different continent - I bet most of the Brits there would just be interested to hear about the club. :D

- Scott

Yeah, I think that's right. Becks gave the league a small push into the back of people's consciousness in England, but not many people know much about MLS. TFC will be the favourite of most, because it's Canadian and not American. :canada: :D

Tyler
01-26-2009, 09:45 PM
I came across a canuck wearing a TFC kit during the half at the last Canada-Estonia friendly in Tallinn. That was definitely the last place I thought that I'd ever see one.

Turns out the guy held dual Canadian & EU passports, and while he was still living in Toronto he picked up seasons at BMO. He had been living in Tallinn for a while at that point but was still holding on to them :yesnod:

Yeoman
01-26-2009, 10:15 PM
a few Brits out here recognized the kit. heck some of em even knew some of the names (one of the brit para sgts somehow recongnized Danny D, most of em know Ricketts)

flatpicker
01-26-2009, 10:25 PM
a few Brits out here recognized the kit. heck some of em even knew some of the names (one of the brit para sgts somehow recongnized Danny D, most of em know Ricketts)

I also found that several Brits new about some of the 'goings-on' in MLS.
When I was in Bristol, some of the guys I met at the Rovers game brought up Dichio and Brennan (Brennan played for Bristol City... their hated rivals).

tfcmanu
01-26-2009, 10:48 PM
I was in Playa Del Carmen and one of the guys at a store (Mexican Guy) was asking me about the team.

Funny you said that, I was in Playa Del Carmen this past summer (August) and I wore my TFC jersey one night and I had a bunch of Liverpool fans notice my jersey as one of theres off course we had one to many and when they focused in they knew rite away it was TFC jersey and they asked me if that was the team in Canada with all the crazy fans and I had a proud moment being a TFC supporter and we started with a chant T-o-r-o-n-t-ohhhhhh T-F-C etc...It gave me chills.. I had all the Mexicans asking who this team was and I Schooled the Mexicans about TFC, I try to promote my team when I can & It's damn good! :drinking:

ExiledRed
01-26-2009, 11:02 PM
This photo is from my sisters pub in London, England.

http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w180/ExiledRed/nickyspub.jpg

Don't ask me the name or where it is, she changes pubs every six months and its probably gracing a different spot now.

ExiledRed
01-26-2009, 11:03 PM
^^Yes my sister married an Arsenal supporter......shhhh! (look at his little flag)

Super
01-26-2009, 11:05 PM
^^Yes my sister married an Arsenal supporter......shhhh! (look at his little flag)

Hahaha!!! Yeah, not sure that's a good thing.

twistedchinaman
01-26-2009, 11:38 PM
I've spotted a couple shirts out west here, and I was wearing my old TFC scarf (which is now somewhere in England, due to the fact that I gave it to a kid I met in San Francisco -- West Ham supporters we think) at the malls here and got a few glances. :)

TFC_Junky
01-27-2009, 07:56 AM
I may not have seen anything while over seas but I did cycle across Cambodia wearing my TFC pre-game kit... Does this count?!

http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=250&stc=1&d=1233060845

http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=251&stc=1&d=1233060911

SilverSamurai
01-27-2009, 09:41 AM
Had a few people ask me about my TFC scarf I wore a little bit while in Mexico, but no 1 recognized TFC. They were just curious about the design.
Much work to do!

DRock
01-27-2009, 10:01 AM
I went to Cancun in October, a week before the season ending San Jose game and there was a guy with a TFC Jersey on in the Cancun Airport. I was going to shout, but was going through customs, and the cops have machine guns there :S

Blazer
01-27-2009, 10:22 AM
Nothing earth shattering but was visiting Ottawa last weekend and saw a scarf in the rear window of a motorist.

deltox
01-27-2009, 10:25 AM
i went to Bmo field last september..... and i saw thousands of TFC shirts.

it was quite amazing!

Tezza
01-27-2009, 11:13 AM
I wore my shirt heading down to the beach in the Bahamas just before xmas and 2 guys workin on the beach recognized it and told me our home games look crazy.

Hitcho
01-27-2009, 11:19 AM
I wore my shirt heading down to the beach in the Bahamas just before xmas and 2 guys workin on the beach recognized it and told me our home games look crazy.

This kind of comment is awesome, same with the one above where the fans were known for their support of Toronto. I love it!

I know the seat cushion celebration made it into the papers in plenty of places around the globe, including in England where I've had people ask me about it.

I'm loving these stories of TFC moments around the world - keep 'em coming people!! :D:D:D

dannyd
01-27-2009, 11:27 AM
A store security guy in the bahamas knew all about TFC when he saw my shirt, he wanted to talk footy said no one in Bahamas new anything about soccer ( he was Jamaican).

Disneyland, got a shout out from a couple guys from Toronto.

Calgary - lots of people there recognized TFC, was suprising, and that was a couple years ago...

Yeah we're world famous...

Yeoman
01-27-2009, 11:40 AM
I also found that several Brits new about some of the 'goings-on' in MLS.
When I was in Bristol, some of the guys I met at the Rovers game brought up Dichio and Brennan (Brennan played for Bristol City... their hated rivals).

actually if i could remember the names (once i log off i'm sure i will) the brit paras know a few guys that play in the mls. i'll have to talk to them again whenever i can to see if we can find out the names and proceed to taunt them :D