PDA

View Full Version : Today’s News, Monday , Jan.26

denime
01-26-2009, 06:56 AM
Mornin'

Toronto FC still has far to go
By GARETH WHEELER (gareth.wheeler@suntv.canoe.ca)

Training camp for Toronto FC's 2009 season opens a week from today with a whole lot of optimism.
Of course, the optimism goes hand in hand with the arrival of Dwayne de Rosario. At his introductory news conference, everyone involved with the club was feeling so upbeat that the "P-word" was being thrown around with reckless abandon.
That word? Playoffs.
The confidence is refreshing but in reality, another P-word should be used about expectations: Premature.

Read more (http://www.torontosun.com/sports/soccer/2009/01/26/8145881-sun.html)

SUNSHINE (http://www.torontosun.com/sunshinegirl/) :rolleyes:

scooter
01-26-2009, 08:43 AM
mornin d
therapy --- i will not click on sunshine button/i will not click on sunshine button/i will not ...........

Carter
01-26-2009, 09:09 AM
Mornin Denime!

daner90
01-26-2009, 09:10 AM
Scooter you are better off by not clicking today...I believe homely is the adjective I would use to describe her...

morning everyone!

Roogsy
01-26-2009, 09:32 AM
Unfortunate is the word I would use.

Funny thing is that I know a couple of girls that have posed for the Sunshine Girl photogs and are waiting to hear if they will be put up at some point and they easily beat out most of the girls we've seen the past couple of weeks. Maybe they have very little inventory of hot girls and they have to spread them out? Whatever it is, it's a disappointment!

Technorgasm
01-26-2009, 09:39 AM
Normaly I like Gareth Wheeler. . . but he seems to be taking a page from the Cunical ways of Cathal Kelly of late.

We could be worse off for Fotty Media in Toronto.
I was pumped to see the scrum surrounding DE-RO at his Signing.. . .
. . . .a good sign?

At this point, RPS / TFC FAns have no reason NOT to be optomistic
(please no more 6 game goaless droughts!!! )

"The good news at the back is that is looks like Marvell Wynne will be staying in Toronto after all and Kevin Harmse was impressive at last season's end. "

Another big boost.

S_D
01-26-2009, 10:43 AM
I don't think Wheeler was overly negative. I think he was pretty objective because we are going into the season with pretty well the same starting team as last season. Dero is a great addition, but our backline needs to be fixed with at least 1 more player. Dero isn't going to solve the goals against problem that we all witnessed.

The problem that Mo faces I think is how to pry a good CB from another MLS team since he hasn't been successful to date on the open market. I have faith though that he will be able to swing something.

I am not sure Robbo will be the answer at CB. He did a decent job against Colorado last season, but that was Colorado. It would be interesting to see how he would do against one of the more premiere teams in the MLS back there, the same as Harmse.

Beach_Red
01-26-2009, 10:52 AM
I don't think Wheeler was overly negative. I think he was pretty objective because we are going into the season with pretty well the same starting team as last season.

It's pretty much the same team that finished last season + DeRo, which is quite different from the team that started last season.

TorCanSoc
01-26-2009, 11:31 AM
....er less Cunningham, less Samuel. And we're starting with a healthy'ish Dichio.

I think with Ricketts-Guevarra-DeRo there will be a lot of chance created. Barrett's a poacher, he'll benefit from the opportunities that the three of them are going to create. Dichio holding up balls waiting for the likes of DeRo to come will certainly create goals.

But yeah the defense is the same. One quality defender and that changes our back line completely. One. Just one quality defender.

Hitcho
01-26-2009, 11:41 AM
Vitti and a decent CB would make us into serious contenders I think. As it is, the current roster should make the play offs IF:

1. we keep everyone fit and healthy and the roster doesn;t alter constantly through the season; and

2. we don't get screwed on internationals (is there a new rule allowing us to move three games a season to avoid this?)

Corpand
01-26-2009, 01:00 PM
"AC Milan are willing to negotiate a permanent deal to sign David Beckham from Los Angeles Galaxy, but insist it will all come down to the player's preference."

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/2009/01/26/transfer-rumours-and-breaking-news-monday-26-january-115875-21072408/

Its all falling into place. Was nice seeyin ya Becks.

ua-kozak_TFC
01-26-2009, 01:24 PM
It's pretty much the same team that finished last season + DeRo, which is quite different from the team that started last season.
hahahahaha Good one. You are funny.

even if instead of dero we got... ronaldo, or kaka... we would still be the same team as last year, and be just as horrible. Soccer is not backetball where a player can do it all... there are 10 other players on the field And i think the fact that Beckham and Donovan COULD DO SHIT ALL for galaxy, and now are ripping it in Europe. Prooves my point...

flatpicker
01-26-2009, 01:27 PM
"AC Milan are willing to negotiate a permanent deal to sign David Beckham from Los Angeles Galaxy, but insist it will all come down to the player's preference."

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/2009/01/26/transfer-rumours-and-breaking-news-monday-26-january-115875-21072408/

Its all falling into place. Was nice seeyin ya Becks.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/kDeVpD_-0XM&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/kDeVpD_-0XM&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

he seems to be fitting in well there.
I'm sure his gut instinct would be to stay with AC Milan, but he may feel the need to fulfill his commitment to LA (at least for one more year)
It will be interesting to see what happens.

BFin
01-26-2009, 01:31 PM
That sunshine girl is the worst I have ever seen. Hands down.
What an absolute shame.

From tsn.ca

Ancelotti gave him credit for jelling with the team. He credited Beckham's "desire to play again in an important league, his intelligence and seriousness."
Go fuck yourself ancelotti.

S_D
01-26-2009, 01:40 PM

even if instead of dero we got... ronaldo, or kaka... we would still be the same team as last year, and be just as horrible. Soccer is not backetball where a player can do it all... there are 10 other players on the field And i think the fact that Beckham and Donovan COULD DO SHIT ALL for galaxy, and now are ripping it in Europe. Prooves my point...

Yeah I agree. No arguements from me when it comes to Dero, he is quality, but he can't do it all himself.

We are still starting with the same back line that started last season with the exception of James as a sub. We need to see at least one new CB unless Velez improves. In addition, Marshall won't be back there forever either, so he will need to be replaced sometime soon.

flatpicker
01-26-2009, 01:40 PM

There's no doubt that playing with good players makes a person even better.

Lord! I hope the salary cap goes up soon!!!!

Beach_Red
01-26-2009, 01:44 PM

This was the starting line-up for the first game last season:

Brian Edwards, Marvell Wynne, Tyrone Marshall, Marco Velez, Jim Brennan, Carl Robinson, Maurice Edu, Tyler Hemming, Todd Dunivant, Collin Samuel, Jeff Cunningham.

flatpicker
01-26-2009, 01:45 PM
^ that's exactly the same!!!

;)

Broadview
01-26-2009, 02:59 PM
SG reminds me of Donna Pinciati from the 70's show.

Wheeler seems like he collects the consensus from message boards and writes that, which is okay, but every time I read an article of his it seems like I've already read it in bits and pieces on here over the previous few days. It'd be nice to see such an obvious fan break a story once in a while.

mr k
01-26-2009, 05:14 PM
from Jeff Blair's column

Serious e-mail stick from Toronto FC fans for not including their team in an article this week on why Toronto's sports franchises suck. Consider it done, then: Your team sucks, too. No, seriously: Toronto FC was left out only because some of the other cities studied didn't have the equivalent of a Major League Soccer franchise. The idea was to compare cities with pro baseball, basketball, football and hockey. Trust me: I'm no puckhead. I've gone Setanta feed snooping on Saturday mornings in Cleveland and I'll be doing columns on Toronto FC, who with the signing of Dwayne DeRosario now have the third highest-profile athlete in T.O., behind Chris Bosh and, when he pitches, Roy Halladay.

http://www.globesports.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20090125.blair26/GSStory/GlobeSportsHockey/home

ccopela
01-26-2009, 07:18 PM
from Jeff Blair's column

Dwayne DeRosario now have the third highest-profile athlete in T.O., behind Chris Bosh and, when he pitches, Roy Halladay.

This seems like a bit of a stretch. The TV coverage that the Leafs get automatically puts most players on the team higher than Dwayne. (not knocking dwayne by any means) just that Leafs are much bigger than TFC. I get that what he's saying that the Leafs suck but it's still a stretch. Not to mention that Jose Calderon and Vernon Wells are also fairly big for their respective teams.