PDA

View Full Version : LA Galaxy in for Owen

ben_vw
01-25-2009, 08:43 PM
It appears the Galaxy will try to secure Michael Owen on a Bosman free when the Premiership season ends.

http://www.tfcconnected.com/2009/01/la-galaxy-in-for-owen.html

It's quite the longshot, but interesting to think about.

BuSaPuNk
01-25-2009, 08:47 PM
Not like we didn't see this coming a mile away. Doesn't the LA management get it yet? You can't win with a star studded lineup?? Oh well let them waste there time. It more upsets me that Owen would even think about moving from Newcastle to LA. Like why he would put his knees in jepoardy playing on the shitty turf stadiums in the MLS. We wants to regain his spot on the England National team, this isn't the way to do it.

Derko
01-25-2009, 08:48 PM
100 to 1, that's the odds and I'm sticking to them.lol

torontocelt
01-25-2009, 09:06 PM
Owen is still relatively young and if his contract runs down to the point where he can leave for free then there will still be a lot of interest in him. I would say that the chances of him in the MLS next season are very slim, I for one would certainly question his appetite for the game if he does. Owen has been quite injury prone the last few years but he is still a very good striker, he just happens to play for a team that has been in disarray for the last few years. Owen strike rate is still impressive when he does play, 26 goals in 61 starts for a poor Newcastle team. His career strike rate is still 1 in every two games which is fantastic at the level he plays at.

Razcle
01-25-2009, 09:18 PM
Well since Landycakes is still on the Galaxy payroll...singing Owen would tie 1.2 million dollars of cap space into three players. I think that would leave 1- 1.5 million for the rest of them. However this situation shouldn't be that much different then the Becks-Landys-Ruiz tandum interms of cap crunch and we know how that situation fared for LA.

TFC OZZ
01-25-2009, 09:19 PM
you have to be fucking kidding me.

I don't believe for a second that he'll go to the Galaxy, because he's still a national team fringe player, and he has the opportunity to break the English National team all time goal scoring record.

It's just common sense, he still wants to play for England, and so did Beckham when he went to the Galaxy; however it hindered his chances because of the league's credibility and because it's North America which has the stigma of being a "lesser footballing area". As long as he wants to play for England, his fate lies away from the Galaxy.

I want Owen, and at the same time, I really, really don't want him to leave Newcastle.

Razcle
01-25-2009, 09:41 PM
Newcastle is Shite. I hope the relegate and reformat in the Colaship and come back with no mess and challenge the top clubs for a European spot. They are such a mess right now they need to blow up just to move in the right direction.

MUFC_Niagara
01-25-2009, 09:47 PM
I think everyone who still has gas left in the tank in europe has seen what a mistake Beckham made when he could obviously still be playing at a higher level. There are better chances of me signing for Newcastle then Owen coming to MLS.

UltraSuperMegaMo
01-25-2009, 10:01 PM
Meh. I like TFC’s pie-in-the-sky DP plans better than the Galaxy’s. At least we’re trying to build for the future

Boondaddy
01-25-2009, 10:18 PM
complete and utter horse pucky.

twistedchinaman
01-25-2009, 10:28 PM
Yeah...not gonna happen.

If it does, then we're getting Cahill.

Therefore -- NOT GONNA HAPPEN!

Marc"2L"
01-25-2009, 10:44 PM
Yeah...not gonna happen.

If it does, then we're getting Cahill.

Therefore -- NOT GONNA HAPPEN!

We could definitively use more ninja's on our squad.

MORE NINJAS!

Kickit09
01-25-2009, 10:46 PM
Well since Landycakes is still on the Galaxy payroll...singing Owen would tie 1.2 million dollars of cap space into three players. I think that would leave 1- 1.5 million for the rest of them. However this situation shouldn't be that much different then the Becks-Landys-Ruiz tandum interms of cap crunch and we know how that situation fared for LA.

MLS put in the DP rule to allow beckham to play for LA. MLS grandfathered Donovon's contract so he could play for LA. MLS will accomodate LA gladly if they actualy get Owen. having said that, I dont think Owen is going to LA, but MLS rules are the least of LA's worries in persuing Owen.

jloome
01-26-2009, 01:31 AM
It was the Daily Mirror, the footballing story equivalent of a blind sniper: fires off lots of rounds, rarely comes near the target.

ExiledRed
01-26-2009, 02:18 AM
Michael Owen at 46, with two gammy legs and a fractured metatarsal would still rip apart MLS defences.

The Kingpin
01-26-2009, 02:24 AM
Michael Owen at 46, with two gammy legs and a fractured metatarsal would still rip apart MLS defences.

Easily. MLS defenders would never know where he is... Hence, we will never see him here.

ExiledRed
01-26-2009, 02:35 AM
^course we will, he's like Beckham's little shadow.

brad
01-26-2009, 10:43 AM
All of this makes me wonder if the Galaxy really care about becoming a winning team, or if signing superstars to sell jerseys and fill their stadium is the priority.

jabbronies
01-26-2009, 10:55 AM
Nooooooooooooooooooo please Owen don't do it!!!

Billy the kid
01-26-2009, 11:00 AM
If Donovan get transeferred, they'll have ridiculous allocation money and be able to invest in some depth.

deltox
01-26-2009, 11:02 AM
i know that league rules do not apply to the galaxy....but

Landy cakes was considered grandfathered DP. but for the 2009 season he would either be a real DP or moved to another team,....or the gals could get another dp slot for him.

they wont be able to have all three as dp's

I_AM_CANADIAN
01-26-2009, 11:10 AM
Never going to happen. When healthy, he's still one of the best finishers out there. He won't be coming to MLS any time soon.

pubboy
01-26-2009, 11:21 AM
Newcastle is Shite. I hope the relegate and reformat in the Colaship and come back with no mess and challenge the top clubs for a European spot. They are such a mess right now they need to blow up just to move in the right direction.

What ???? English please.....:noidea:

Hitcho
01-26-2009, 11:43 AM
LAG are no more likely to get him than we are. Owen is a mercenary, and a super ambitious one at that. he'll only go to a UEFA CL side, probably in the Premiership. he'll have plenty of interest as a Bosman signing.

Hmmmm - chelsea, liverpool or la galaxy? hahhahaha....

Billy the kid
01-26-2009, 12:21 PM
What would be good for the league is if a team like New York got Owen. Then they might actually get a national audience when New York and L.A. play. Also, if you look at how attendance goes up in some markets when L.A. comes to town. You would have this happenning when New York visits other cities as well.

jvanpeebles
01-26-2009, 12:59 PM
anything that brings more quality players to MLS cannot be a bad thing

RealG-TFC
01-26-2009, 02:24 PM

No he wouldn't.

ensco
01-26-2009, 02:58 PM
No he wouldn't.

Yes he would :rolleyes:

mighty_torontofc_2008
01-26-2009, 03:00 PM
you would think the Galaxy would go for a defender first, thats their main weakness.

ExiledRed
01-26-2009, 06:03 PM
LAG are no more likely to get him than we are. Owen is a mercenary, and a super ambitious one at that. he'll only go to a UEFA CL side, probably in the Premiership. he'll have plenty of interest as a Bosman signing.

Hmmmm - chelsea, liverpool or la galaxy? hahhahaha....

Liverpool aren't interested. That liver bird has flown.

TFCREDNWHITE
01-26-2009, 06:11 PM
You ever wonder if they are aggresively pursuing Owen because Beckham won't be back??? I wonder.......

RealG-TFC
01-26-2009, 06:20 PM
Yes he would :rolleyes:

No he wouldn't. I bet he could barely now. Football is a team sport. Remember all those ppl who said McBride would "tear up" MLS. did it happen? no.

ExiledRed
01-26-2009, 06:21 PM
No he wouldn't. I bet he could barely now. Football is a team sport. Remember all those ppl who said McBride would "tear up" MLS. did it happen? no.

You aren't seriously comparing McBride and Owen are you?

ExiledRed
01-26-2009, 06:22 PM
You ever wonder if they are aggresively pursuing Owen because Beckham won't be back??? I wonder.......

Most likely scenario IMO.

Beckham is being quite elusive when it comes to stating his intentions.

RealG-TFC
01-26-2009, 06:57 PM
You aren't seriously comparing McBride and Owen are you?

at 46 he would be inferior to McBride now.

Pachuco
01-26-2009, 07:18 PM
at 46 he would be inferior to McBride now.

Hehe, that's a good point.

I'm with ReaG on this one though, Owen will not necessarily tear up the MLS, not if he doesn't have Beckham serving him the ball. So if it's true that they are going after Owen because Beckham isn't coming back then we have nothing to worry about.

In fact, Beckham on my opinion has a bigger impact on Galaxy then Owen ever would on his own.