PDA

View Full Version : Detinho as potential DP

Nuvinho
01-24-2009, 10:01 PM
Mo said he looked at Brazilian Dentinho as a DP.....keyword is looked. He isn't looking at 30 something year old players. He wants someone who can come in a gel with the team, without disrupting the chemistry.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dentinho

In regards to the CB situation, Mo said that Toronto FC aren't as bad off as people think, Nana is going to be good. Both Robbo and Harmse can play at the back.

Roogsy
01-24-2009, 10:05 PM
So far so good Mo...but don't lose the plot on the CB front.

We need a solid CB...one at least. Period.

Get to work.

Nuvinho
01-24-2009, 10:08 PM
Sean Keay was correct, Mo was looking at a Brazilian. I guess Vitti is the 2nd option.

Jeff s
01-24-2009, 10:48 PM
Where did you here about this?

Nuvinho
01-24-2009, 11:02 PM
The Footy show today.

The Oz
01-24-2009, 11:05 PM
If you are serious, I am excited.

Super
01-24-2009, 11:21 PM
So he looked at Dentinho. What does that mean? That he is going after the guy, or just that he had some interest in the guy earlier?

Moisms are driving me nuts! :(

Super
01-24-2009, 11:22 PM
Dentinho, 26 goals in 78 appearances for Corinthians.

http://www.estadao.com.br/fotos/dentinho_1.jpg

Super
01-24-2009, 11:24 PM
And here's a youtube clip with goals from him:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hI-jlL1mMrk

ben_vw
01-24-2009, 11:44 PM
Dentinho, 26 goals in 78 appearances for Corinthians.

Since he's only 20, I'm sure a chunk of those 78 appearances were as a sub when he was 17/18/19.

Super
01-24-2009, 11:46 PM
That's still a good conversion rate, though. It's almost one goal in every third game. Would be a better conversion rate if he'd been a sub in most games, too, so that just impresses me more ;)

Shakes McQueen
01-24-2009, 11:46 PM
This indicates one thing to me, and it's good - Mo is looking in the right places. He is looking for young players with potential, and he is looking for South Americans.

Even if he doesn't end up here, we should take this as a positive.

- Scott

ben_vw
01-24-2009, 11:47 PM
That's still a good conversion rate, though. It's almost one goal in every third game. Would be a better conversion rate if he'd been a sub in most games, too, so that just impresses me more ;)

Exactly. I agree 100%.

The Oz
01-24-2009, 11:52 PM
TBH I don't think he'll come here though, most brazillian players don't come to NA to play football, they either stay in brazil or go to europe.

Super
01-24-2009, 11:56 PM
Exactly. I agree 100%.

Oops, should've been a :) instead of a ;)

dantdot
01-24-2009, 11:58 PM
Mo can drop any name he wants, it means diddly squat right now until we sign someone, also, his words on the CBs don't exactly inspire confidence. I'm getting more pessimistic as this off season goes on.

Beach_Red
01-25-2009, 12:00 AM
TBH I don't think he'll come here though, most brazillian players don't come to NA to play football, they either stay in brazil or go to europe.

Could change someday. Might be now.

is this guy still a possible, I can't tell?

Cambridge_Red
01-25-2009, 12:01 AM
Same old shit really. Stop talking unless you are putting pen to paper.

Nodoubtguy
01-25-2009, 12:51 AM
While I would love for this to happen, I wouldn't hold my breath....

Damien
01-25-2009, 12:52 AM
Mo said he looked at Brazilian Dentinho as a DP.....keyword is looked. He isn't looking at 30 something year old players. He wants someone who can come in a gel with the team, without disrupting the chemistry.

Is there a news story on this somewhere?

tfc
01-25-2009, 01:03 AM
Mo can drop any name he wants, it means diddly squat right now until we sign someone, also, his words on the CBs don't exactly inspire confidence. I'm getting more pessimistic as this off season goes on.

does everyone on this board have to be a whiny bitch? im not trying to be a dick, but honestly, it is getting outrageous. for every decent piece of news that comes out, there are at least 20 people on this board who post regularly who start looking for every negative about it.

we have a team. it is getting better every time there is a new signing. it is our third year. put our situation it perspective and stop whining, nobody wants to hear it.

Sab0tage
01-25-2009, 02:04 AM
Would be great if it happened, but I'm not expecting anything until he actually signs.

UltraSuperMegaMo
01-25-2009, 02:25 AM
This says a lot about the ambition of the club, but I don’t see a move like this happening until we’re a big club by MLS standards, a championship or two, maybe a CCL title, and have a grass field and a training facility.

The moves that Mo is making and trying to make all look pretty good. I don’t think we’ve been linked with any 35-year-olds from the Coca Cola Championship at all this off season.

Seems like some big teams are also interested in Dentinho - that is if Tribal Football is to be trusted:

http://www.tribalfootball.com/juventus-set-sights-brazilian-youth-222386

bignickel
01-25-2009, 04:16 AM
does everyone on this board have to be a whiny bitch? im not trying to be a dick, but honestly, it is getting outrageous. for every decent piece of news that comes out, there are at least 20 people on this board who post regularly who start looking for every negative about it.

we have a team. it is getting better every time there is a new signing. it is our third year. put our situation it perspective and stop whining, nobody wants to hear it.

but of course, they paid for their seasons tickets, so now they have the right to complain about.......everything!

King Tut
01-25-2009, 08:40 AM
Same old shit really. Stop talking unless you are putting pen to paper.

Exactly. Mo needs to shut the fuck up and work in silence...We don't need words, we need action..

Nuvinho
01-25-2009, 08:46 AM
Once again.........it was on the Footy Show last night. Mo talking after the DeRo press conference.

I think the Dentinho rumour is probably over with. That's why Mo gave out the name.

Marco2K
01-25-2009, 08:55 AM
Well if teams like Real Madrid are chasing him we have no chance.

Sit on the bench in madrid or come to toronto and play in the MLS. No a tough choice.

Pachuco
01-25-2009, 10:13 AM
Damn, I would've fell out of my seat if Dentinho signed with us. I've been watching this kid in the South America U20 qualifiers and let me tell you, this kid is freeking good. Between him and Walter on Brazil they have been giving teams alot of trouble.

Sadly though, I believe this kid has way too much potential to be coming to the MLS. I'm sure he's eyed already by big clubs in Europe.

I appreciate that Mo is atleast looking in the right places!

Big Bruva
01-25-2009, 10:13 AM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dentinho

In regards to the CB situation, Mo said that Toronto FC aren't as bad off as people think, Nana is going to be good. Both Robbo and Harmse can play at the back.

lol so many of you think Robbo could be coverage for a centre back position on a regular basis?

If you got Harmse and Robbo as the coverage TFC are in trouble when talking about the quality of defence.

Velez is no near as bad as what some write on here ill say that for sure, Harmse would only come on for me in certain situations.

Nana is good and will only get even better, he also can jump high for his height but when he plays centre back i would be a bit worried about him in the air. He would always play right back or left back for me coz of his strength and pace.

Big Bruva
01-25-2009, 10:15 AM
Since he's only 20, I'm sure a chunk of those 78 appearances were as a sub when he was 17/18/19.

Makes it even more impressive.

ensco
01-25-2009, 10:29 AM
"The Little Tooth". Classic Brazilian name.

What's your Brazilian name?

http://www.minimalsworld.net/BrazilName/brazilian.shtml

rocker
01-25-2009, 10:34 AM
http://www.mctweb.com/product/images/399592.jpg

Nuvinho
01-25-2009, 10:40 AM
The Footy show is on now again. I think its the same show that was on last night. For those who want to see the interview, it happens at the end of the show.

jabbronies
01-25-2009, 11:06 AM
The Footy show is on now again. I think its the same show that was on last night. For those who want to see the interview, it happens at the end of the show.

Just watched it...seems he has a lot of faith in Nana to step in and become a full time D man.

ensco
01-25-2009, 11:39 AM
Why is Mo even talking about Brazil U 20 strikers? I mean, who is he kidding?

The whole point is that for every kid who starts for Brazil, there are 20 almost as good who didn't catch a break. We have to find one of those.

This is the kind of stuff that makes even Mo supporters wonder about him.

tfc
01-25-2009, 11:48 AM
Why is Mo even talking about Brazil U 20 strikers? I mean, who is he kidding?

The whole point is that for every kid who starts for Brazil, there are 20 almost as good who didn't catch a break. We have to find one of those.

... or you go after the ones who get starts in Brazil and you get a player who can play at a club level ...

if he adopted this 'who is he kidding going after those players' attitude we wouldn't have half our team. the glass should be half FULL not half EMPTY. it is an attitude like this that spawns the mediocracy rpb's are afraid of.

rocker
01-25-2009, 11:51 AM

Well, if there are all these Brazilians not getting a break I don't see them on other MLS teams. So either every other MLS team is as blind as Mo, or maybe those players aren't really good enough for MLS.

I mean, DC United is often praised as having a deep scouting staff that regularly scouts south america... and what do they bring home from that continent? no young Brazilians.
their south americans were either old or very experienced, or not playing on the continent.

ensco
01-25-2009, 11:53 AM
... or you go after the ones who get starts in Brazil and you get a player who can play at a club level ...

if he adopted this 'who is he kidding going after those players' attitude we wouldn't have half our team. the glass should be half FULL not half EMPTY. it is an attitude like this that spawns the mediocracy rpb's are afraid of.

If you think MLS can compete for Brazil U 20 starters who are, by definition, already on the radar of teams like Milan, Juve and Real Madrid.....pass the bong.

Plenty of Trout
01-25-2009, 11:56 AM
If you think MLS can compete for Brazil U 20 starters who are, by definition, already on the radar of teams like Milan, Juve and Real Madrid.....pass the bong.

GOD this is frustrating as a fan of a MSL team.

ensco
01-25-2009, 12:02 PM
Well, if there are all these Brazilians not getting a break I don't see them on other MLS teams. So either every other MLS team is as blind as Mo, or maybe those players aren't really good enough for MLS.

Come on, guys, read up a bit. It's a question of money.

Those 20 guys behind Dentinho and Walter would all be DPs in MLS. They still have a serious shot at Europe. They are sold to teams like Porto and Benfica, for millions, and some of them become Diego.

It will cost real money to play this game, even if your target is the next level of player. My point is MLS can never beat out the big clubs, but could, if they had the willingness and the dough, compete for this next level.

Cambridge_Red
01-25-2009, 12:07 PM

I mean, DC United is often praised as having a deep scouting staff that regularly scouts south america... and what do they bring home from that continent? no young Brazilians.
their south americans were either old or very experienced, or not playing on the continent.

Wow now I've seen it all..

Stryker
01-25-2009, 01:08 PM
I enjoy reading about "possible" signings and rumors.
Absolute silence bothers me and I like to have some ideas as to whats going on with the club. If you can't differentiate between talk and actual signings and feel let down when you jump the boat and get excited for nothing then you need need to learn to be alittle more decerning in your interpretation of things.

On the other side of the coin, others need to stop being so negitive. Look at Angel. Would anyone have believed that an 31 year old who had a recent 20 goal season for Aston Villa would come to the New York Red Bulls? No but it happened. Henry is another high profile player interested in playing in MLS.
Everybody said Seattle was dreaming but they just signed Montero.

Bottom line... if you can't handle a little bit of rumor and speculation then you'd best stay off the internet with regards to anything TFC related.
My 2 cents.

Plenty of Trout
01-25-2009, 01:34 PM
Everybody said Seattle was dreaming but they just signed Montero.

Fair enough.

What in your opinion is preventing us from achieving our dreams of signing a DP?

Stryker
01-25-2009, 01:48 PM
Well to use a use a phrase coined by Mo and JC lately I'd say its a matter of pieces to a puzzle.
We have to find a guy who likes the by idea of being the main guy on a smaller team and taking them on his back to championship calibur.
Someone who's intrigued by the challange of a completely different league.
Someone who's receptive to the idea of living in Toronto.
And from a MLSE standpoint, someone whos worthy of throwing big money at.

Beach_Red
01-25-2009, 01:58 PM
We have to find a guy who likes the by idea of being the main guy on a smaller team and taking them on his back to championship calibur.

THis is a good point. You could probably make a case that a guy like Laurent Robert wasn't very comfortable being the best guy on the team. Not everybody wants to be that guy.

jloome
01-25-2009, 02:12 PM
You have to figure that Mo is gambling somewhat on a substantial change in the collective bargaining agreement, because if it stays largely as-is, there will continue to be such year-to-year roster turnover in this league -- due to low wages alone -- that the team-wide consistency to which a young DP could contribute over time is minimized.

IF it doesn't go up, you'd be just as well shelling out Blanco-ish money and getting a proven DP veteran. I refuse to believe that for that kind of money -- something in the $2.5M per season range -- we can't get a class finisher.

To me, this kind of pursuit seems a bit over-optimistic, short-sighted and, probably, a bit cheap. Dentinho is not going to cost MLSE $2 million per season at this point, so he deserves serious consideration, Mo assumes: he could score at will in this league, he'd be cheaper, he could be around longer, and MLS gets a wacking great sell-on transfer fee, making them more likely to sanction it.

There's only one problem with this scenario: ensco is right. This is a low-percentage shot in terms of pulling it off, and if he only goes after these types of DP strikers, there's a very good chance we won't be getting one before the start of the season.

Having said that, I again give Mo the benefit of the doubt, because if the Score's story was correct and they initially weren't considering a DP until after June, that assumes they're looking at European players about to go out-of-contract as well. So not getting a guy in pre-season doesn't mean it's out of the question.

It might, however, cost us some team chemistry and consistency. ANd it's going to drive us all nuts waiting to see who, if anyone, we sign.

Beach_Red
01-25-2009, 02:17 PM
Yes, l it's going to drive us nuts!

It does seem like the team is trying to put together a solid core on some longer-term contracts; Barrett, DeRo, Robinson, etc., so that maybe a different DP every year would cause the minimum of upset to the chemistry. The whole concept of one player being "designated" is a recipe to destroy team chemistry, so I hope the new CBA eliminates that and just raises the cap.

Chevy
01-25-2009, 02:19 PM
THis is a good point. You could probably make a case that a guy like Laurent Robert wasn't very comfortable being the best guy on the team. Not everybody wants to be that guy.

Laurent Robert wasn't very comfortable moving around the pitch at more than a light jog. :hump:

Beach_Red
01-25-2009, 02:39 PM
Laurent Robert wasn't very comfortable moving around the pitch at more than a light jog. :hump:

Ha, that's true. But even for him he slowed down after the first couple of games. Didn't he score off a set piece, and then nothing?

Plenty of Trout
01-25-2009, 03:14 PM
Well to use a use a phrase coined by Mo and JC lately I'd say its a matter of pieces to a puzzle.
Someone who's intrigued by the challange of a completely different league.
Someone who's receptive to the idea of living in Toronto.
And from a MLSE standpoint, someone whos worthy of throwing big money at.

So it is a matter of finding the right player when we are ready for such player and we are NOT ready yet?

tfc
01-25-2009, 04:16 PM
You have to figure that Mo is gambling somewhat on a substantial change in the collective bargaining agreement, because if it stays largely as-is, there will continue to be such year-to-year roster turnover in this league -- due to low wages alone -- that the team-wide consistency to which a young DP could contribute over time is minimized.

IF it doesn't go up, you'd be just as well shelling out Blanco-ish money and getting a proven DP veteran. I refuse to believe that for that kind of money -- something in the $2.5M per season range -- we can't get a class finisher.

To me, this kind of pursuit seems a bit over-optimistic, short-sighted and, probably, a bit cheap. Dentinho is not going to cost MLSE $2 million per season at this point, so he deserves serious consideration, Mo assumes: he could score at will in this league, he'd be cheaper, he could be around longer, and MLS gets a wacking great sell-on transfer fee, making them more likely to sanction it.

There's only one problem with this scenario: ensco is right. This is a low-percentage shot in terms of pulling it off, and if he only goes after these types of DP strikers, there's a very good chance we won't be getting one before the start of the season.

Having said that, I again give Mo the benefit of the doubt, because if the Score's story was correct and they initially weren't considering a DP until after June, that assumes they're looking at European players about to go out-of-contract as well. So not getting a guy in pre-season doesn't mean it's out of the question.

It might, however, cost us some team chemistry and consistency. ANd it's going to drive us all nuts waiting to see who, if anyone, we sign.

I agree with you and ensco that there is little likelihood of it actually occurring, but to take the stance ensco is, namely that mo is out of his mind even considering it, is where i find issue. Giving up before even throwing the idea out there is just negligent in my mind, although i guess it will keep some people on here happy as they'd have another thing to bitch about - now mo is only looking for shitty players!

as supporters we should support, not sit around getting our panties in a twist when mo throws out ideas of signing brazilian u-20s. isn't that a good thing?

T_Mizz
01-25-2009, 05:03 PM
So it is a matter of finding the right player when we are ready for such player and we are NOT ready yet?
I think the right player will make us ready, we have a solid core right now (on paper), so I think as soon as the summer transfer window opens up we can bring in the final piece

ensco
01-25-2009, 07:32 PM
I agree with you and ensco that there is little likelihood of it actually occurring, but to take the stance ensco is, namely that mo is out of his mind even considering it, is where i find issue. Giving up before even throwing the idea out there is just negligent in my mind, although i guess it will keep some people on here happy as they'd have another thing to bitch about - now mo is only looking for shitty players!

as supporters we should support, not sit around getting our panties in a twist when mo throws out ideas of signing brazilian u-20s. isn't that a good thing?

It's not a question of having a negative attitude. I feel like I'm being patronized when Mo does this.

Anyone with any knowledge of world football knows that TFC/MLS going after a Dentinho is ludicrous.

There are many, many younger players that we could go after, most of the top teams in South America have several that they intend to sell. That's the business they're in down there.

If we were willing to compete with, say, Dynamo Kiev, Anderlecht, Cluj or Porto, we could get that caliber of young South American star. That could make real sense, for the reasons jloome outlines. You get two great seasons from the player, then sell him on. Done right, you can make big money at this game. But it would take a serious investment up front, in time and money.

MLS has never shown any indication that it wants to play this game from that end. We are sellers (Altidore, Edu), not buyers.

So when Mo spills a name that is already publicly identified with Juve and Real Madrid, don't expect me to do anything other than laugh.

Again I'm not a Mo basher. But I'm no putz.

It makes me question his motives for supposedly "giving" this name up.

Derko
01-25-2009, 09:04 PM
:cheers:
This thread is actually the most intellectual that I have read in a long time, it is not just temper tantrums and sucking thumbs, but really intuitive and thoughtful. I applaude you all.
:drinking:

tfc
01-25-2009, 10:11 PM
It's not a question of having a negative attitude. I feel like I'm being patronized when Mo does this.

Anyone with any knowledge of world football knows that TFC/MLS going after a Dentinho is ludicrous.

There are many, many younger players that we could go after, most of the top teams in South America have several that they intend to sell. That's the business they're in down there.

If we were willing to compete with, say, Dynamo Kiev, Anderlecht, Cluj or Porto, we could get that caliber of young South American star. That could make real sense, for the reasons jloome outlines. You get two great seasons from the player, then sell him on. Done right, you can make big money at this game. But it would take a serious investment up front, in time and money.

MLS has never shown any indication that it wants to play this game from that end. We are sellers (Altidore, Edu), not buyers.

So when Mo spills a name that is already publicly identified with Juve and Real Madrid, don't expect me to do anything other than laugh.

ah, I see your perspective now, and generally agree. for all we know, however, he could have been looking at him last season or something... although that is equally as unlikely :D

What can he do though? If he is asked who he has been keeping an eye on in the past should he not let people know? Mo's actions with the Vitti situation over the last week or two have shed a lot of light on the way he operates. It seems that players he is in negotiations with he doesn't speak about, and when people find out he is annoyed that they know what's going on. The contracts that have passed, however, he will mention - i think this may be one of those cases.

Your second point, regarding TFC being a seller rather than a buyer i am in total agreement with, and in my perspective, it is a major issue the league will have to deal with in the future. It is unfortunate that we are stuck taking tiny baby steps when TFC could thrive in Toronto on a European system; the rest of the league is another story though ...

at some point MLS will have to let the reigns go, and while there are a number of pieces in the north american system worth keeping, there are also a number that will need to be dropped to keep our league competitive in the wider world of football.

despite some of his annoying comments, I am happy Mo is taking a different view than other GM's across MLS regarding player acquisition... thinking outside the box is always a good way to get an advantage over the opposition.

dantdot
01-25-2009, 10:31 PM
Videos uploaded @ http://thescore.com/Video/Player.aspx?vid=2478

UltraSuperMegaMo
01-25-2009, 10:50 PM
dantdot - Thanks for posting that. I’ve been wanting to hear the interview for since this thread started.

Would it have killed Sharman to have asked a followup question when Mo said they were looking at Dentinho? It was hard to tell if from the context if they’re still looking at him or not.

TFCREDNWHITE
01-26-2009, 11:19 AM
Dentinho?? Vitti?? CB??? What the hell is going on??

I've been out of the loop for about 5 days...Whats the latest?

Are we going to get our DP Striker or CB before the start of the season???

joel
01-26-2009, 12:37 PM
'looked at', is an ambiguous way to say we would have done something if we could but we can't so we didn't.

supernothingman
01-26-2009, 01:41 PM

QFT.

Chevy
01-26-2009, 07:23 PM
Dentinho?? Vitti?? CB??? What the hell is going on??

I've been out of the loop for about 5 days...Whats the latest?

Are we going to get our DP Striker or CB before the start of the season???

Ahh, that would be No, and No.

Pachuco
01-26-2009, 08:23 PM
Dentinho just scored. They mentioned the Dentinho - MLS Rumours, but they said they'll have a lot of competition with the likes of Juventus.

Shaughno
01-27-2009, 09:57 AM
I read a bunch of articles last night about Arsenal's interest in Dentinho from Aug/Sept. I highly doubt with names like Arsenal, Real Madrid, Juventus and turning down a 'high salary' contract from a Saudi team, that he would come here.

My $0.02 after some research. :lol:

SLBuu
01-27-2009, 10:10 AM
I'm glad their looking in the right places though. I mean if every MLS club tried sigining within their means then we would have never seen Beckham here now would we?

TFCREDNWHITE
01-27-2009, 10:17 AM
I read a bunch of articles last night about Arsenal's interest in Dentinho from Aug/Sept. I highly doubt with names like Arsenal, Real Madrid, Juventus and turning down a 'high salary' contract from a Saudi team, that he would come here.

How about Silvestre from Arsenal?? Can we get him??

Pachuco
01-27-2009, 10:18 AM

Yeap it ain't happening. Although, based on the amount of dives Dentinho took yesterday, he probably would'nt be very popular around here. Then again, people only care when it's Guevara doing it against Canada, but don't care much when it's Guevara doing it for TFC ;)