PDA

View Full Version : What do you think is TFC biggest problem NOW?!

cementhead
01-24-2009, 10:09 AM
I would think keeping the ball out of net with the defence we have right now just not good enough.I'm not saying the goalie lord knows how many time Sutton stood on his head just to have his defence let him down.

ExiledRed
01-24-2009, 10:11 AM
let it be known:

"the goalie lord knows how many time Sutton stood on his head "

The goalie lord, misses nothing.

loconet
01-24-2009, 10:18 AM
I've said it before, defense. Specifically, CBs.

ExiledRed
01-24-2009, 10:25 AM
defence has always been a minor problem in comparison to our inability to finish chances.

Every team concedes goals, we didnt concede an abundant amount, we just couldn't score them back, or go ahead enough to close the came down. The defence were run off their backsides all season because we achieve so little in the other half.

Take a look at most of last seasons games, the only reason we lose or tie due to defensive slip ups is because we've failed to capitalise our own chances, we're incapable of putting a buffer between us and them, and cant allow ourselves to sit on the ball, because were never in front more than a goal.

ensco
01-24-2009, 10:26 AM
^yup, let's have a year where we lose a bunch of 5-4 games, before we spend a whole offseason talking about how we get rid of the whole back line

OneLoveOneEric
01-24-2009, 10:29 AM
I agree with Exiled.
MLS defenses aren't great in general. Not taking chances is criminal in this league. If I were building a team from scratch for MLS, my goal would be to out-gun the opposition. Goalies aren't very good, CB's aren't very good. That's what you exploit.

ExiledRed
01-24-2009, 10:30 AM
For real.

Cunny gets his sitters last season, and the referees actually understand the rules, and we are in the playoffs and the CL.

You can win games when you concede goals, you cant win shit if you dont score.

Plenty of Trout
01-24-2009, 10:53 AM
You can win games when you concede goals, you cant win shit if you dont score.

I agree.

Goal scoring is still our #1 problem.

jabbronies
01-24-2009, 10:59 AM
Defence...it killed us last year in the dying minutes of many games...it will do it again if the lineup stays as is.

rocker
01-24-2009, 11:14 AM
NYRB gave up more goals than TFC and they made the MLS Cup final.

NE gave up the same number of goals as TFC, and they made the playoffs. (don't hear anyone complaining about NE's defense).

We can always improve in defense.. for sure.. but maybe 1 additional guy on defense and we're fine.
But offensively TFC was the second worst scoring team in the league. Gotta focus attention on that first, then a CB second.

ExiledRed
01-24-2009, 11:21 AM
Defence...it killed us last year in the dying minutes of many games...it will do it again if the lineup stays as is.

Again, this is only because our offence gave us no leeway up front. For every game we lost due to a defence slip up there are probably three we lost or tied because we didnt score a goal.

backbeat
We’ve got a potent midfield that can attack – our team was not bad last year other than losing so many players to international duty – we’ve strengthened our depth and attack – it would be great to get a Vitti type of player but for me our # 1 need at this time is defense – a really strong experienced CB is our absolute priority. If we get that to start the preseason I’ll be happy and then we can keep looking for that elusive striker that fits the MLS and our team.

Pachuco
CB first, striker second. Goals will come this year with an improved midfield.

ExiledRed
01-24-2009, 11:23 AM
This obsession with a CB is absurd.

When we go through six or seven (somebody remind me how long last seasons goalless streak was) games without scoring a goal, a CB isn't going to solve a thing.

OneLoveOneEric
01-24-2009, 11:26 AM
Exactly. Offense wins games in our league.

BuSaPuNk
01-24-2009, 11:48 AM
Both offense and defense. We gave up way to many goals at the end the games last year. We need a soild organizing CB that can control his backline. We were the worst scoring team in all the MLS last year. Goal scoring will go up now that Barrett had a chance to get his fitness to the level it needs to be in for a everyday starting striker, and our midfield is now alot better as other teams now have to worry about our entire midfield as they can all attack.

LucaGol
01-24-2009, 12:04 PM
Just because Dwayne De Rosario and some draft picks that probably won't even play much have arrived in our squad ... it doesn't mean we've necessarily improved anything.

We were one of the worst passing and possession teams last year and adding one player won't cure those ills.

We still have massive problems at the back, our front line is the same as last season and our midfield remains average to above average.

The De Rosario signing is somewhat promising ... but there's still much work to be done in terms of player movement.

If I were Mo Johnston (and Im sure he knows all this already) ... my to do list would be the following:

1. Acquire a starting caliber striker, capable of netting 10-13 goals ... 100 to 150k
2. Acquire a starting caliber central defender ... 100 to 150k
3. Free up roster spots and money by trading Todd Dunivant
4. Letting Rohan Ricketts and his 200k a year leave town (sure to be a somewhat unpopular decision) ... and trying to sign a more effective, possibly more proven attacker that will compliment Dwayne De Rosario and Amado Guevara.
5. Try to turn either Stefan Frei or Brian Edwards into a usable asset for this team through a trade. Having 3 goalies on a team, especially in this league, seems excessive.

Cashcleaner
01-24-2009, 12:05 PM
defence has always been a minor problem in comparison to our inability to finish chances.

Every team concedes goals, we didnt concede an abundant amount, we just couldn't score them back, or go ahead enough to close the came down. The defence were run off their backsides all season because we achieve so little in the other half.

Take a look at most of last seasons games, the only reason we lose or tie due to defensive slip ups is because we've failed to capitalise our own chances, we're incapable of putting a buffer between us and them, and cant allow ourselves to sit on the ball, because were never in front more than a goal.

Pretty much it in a nutshell. Toronto never made enough effort for insurance scoring last year and that fact coupled with some really brutal defensive breakdowns bit us in the ass. Its simple logic - the more the ball is in your half the more likely it will reach the back of your net.

MUFC_Niagara
01-24-2009, 12:13 PM
This obsession with a CB is absurd.

When we go through six or seven (somebody remind me how long last seasons goalless streak was) games without scoring a goal, a CB isn't going to solve a thing.

It wasn't as many as the amount of games we gave up a goal in the last 5 mins to draw or lose. CB please.

Oldtimer
01-24-2009, 01:12 PM
It wasn't as many as the amount of games we gave up a goal in the last 5 mins to draw or lose. CB please.

It was interesting looking at Montreal's run in the CCL. It's been their defense that has made the difference. I'd vote for CB.

Ontario Arab
01-24-2009, 01:20 PM
CB required and also Carver is tactically naive

Beach_Red
01-24-2009, 01:22 PM
1. Acquire a starting caliber striker, capable of netting 10-13 goals ... 100 to 150k
2. Acquire a starting caliber central defender ... 100 to 150k

As a fan, I wish you were a player agent ;).

It's hard to talk about last year's "team" as it was so different from the beginning of the season to the end. The addition of DeRo and some draft picks to the team that finished last season, not the team that started last season, is a big difference.

rocker
01-24-2009, 01:32 PM
It was interesting looking at Montreal's run in the CCL. It's been their defense that has made the difference. I'd vote for CB.

I don't know if it's so much their defense (the backend) as it is their team play. Braz, for example, was shit and still is shit.

They didn't exactly look that good defensively at times when they were on the road. I watched every game they played in the CONCACAF championship and they scrambled at times on defense, but scrambled successfully (see the last 20 minutes of the TFC game at home). And their keeper did a great job (much better than many of the other keepers, particularly those keepers from Joe Public or Real Esteli.).

But they are very organized from front to back. They've been lucky to have a great continuity in their roster over many years. They have a core that's played together for many many games.

Razcle
01-24-2009, 01:44 PM
I agree with Exiled.
MLS defenses aren't great in general. Not taking chances is criminal in this league. If I were building a team from scratch for MLS, my goal would be to out-gun the opposition. Goalies aren't very good, CB's aren't very good. That's what you exploit.

You and Alexi Lalas would get along real well and look at how good his Galaxy fared. They had two of the highest scoring forwards in the league and were worse off then we were because their defence was gar-bage and they couldn't keep the opposition off the scoresheet

torontocelt
01-24-2009, 01:53 PM
Toronto FC's main problem is definitely scoring. When I have watched them live at BMO I have been very frustrated at the amount of chances Toronto FC has to have before they can actually put the ball in the net. On occasions it has looked easier for the strikers to score than it is to miss and they still don't score. I have seen Toronto dominate games at home possession wise and with a clinical striker they would have done a lot better last season. You only have to take a look at the fact that Dichio was top scorer last season on a measley five goals in 23 matches to appreciate that the team has serious problems in front of goal.

What surprises me most about the lack of a goals from the strikers is that Mo was such a clinical striker himself. I for one would have thought that he would have an eye for a decent striker and he has been in the game a long time so he should have a vast amount of contacts. From his point of view he must be even more frustrated with the strikers than even the fans are as he was vastly superior in front of goal than any of the current TFC forwards, it must really p#ss him off a lot.

My fear is that if TFC continue to play Dichio as their main guy then they may continue to struggle. Although Dichio offers presence in attack, at times last season he looked very imobile. He is not getting any younger either and I can only see him becoming even more imobile. Don't get me wrong sometimes you need a player like him but I really hope that some of the other strikers make a bigger impression this year or Mo manages to unearth a new guy who is capable of making a sarting role his own.

rocker
01-24-2009, 02:02 PM
You and Alexi Lalas would get along real well and look at how good his Galaxy fared. They had two of the highest scoring forwards in the league and were worse off then we were because their defence was gar-bage and they couldn't keep the opposition off the scoresheet

and NYRB let in more goals than TFC did and performed better than TFC or LA.

I don't think there's an exact formula. In baseball there's that myth that "pitching and defense wins championships." No, scoring more than your opponents wins championships.

A bad team is a team with an imbalance between defense and offense (in whichever direction), not a team solely with a great defense or solely with a great offense.

cementhead
01-24-2009, 02:02 PM
Well I was always told a good defences will beat a good offences!So let get a CB!

ExiledRed
01-24-2009, 02:03 PM

Donovan for Cunny and Beckham for any midfielder on our team last year and no other changes?
We make the playoffs, we make the CL.

The comparison is faulty.

LA also let in 62 goals to our 43

rocker
01-24-2009, 02:05 PM
Well I was always told a good defences will beat a good offences!So let get a CB!

San Jose had almost as good a defense as Columbus but they finished last while Columbus finished first (yes, check the stats -- only a 2 goal diff against between San Jose and Columbus).

It's about balance not one or the other.

as i've said, yes, let's improve the defense. But let's not allocate big resources just to a defender at the expense of a striker. We need to score more goals, and De Rosario helps but we need to improve there more than we need to improve our defense. I would allocate more resources to a striker.

Cashcleaner
01-24-2009, 02:06 PM
My fear is that if TFC continue to play Dichio as their main guy then they may continue to struggle. Although Dichio offers presence in attack, at times last season he looked very imobile. He is not getting any younger either and I can only see him becoming even more imobile. Don't get me wrong sometimes you need a player like him but I really hope that some of the other strikers make a bigger impression this year or Mo manages to unearth a new guy who is capable of making a sarting role his own.

I don't think Carver would ever do such a thing given the roster we have at the moment. Dichio brings his presence to the pitch and has the ability to make opposing players work around him, but I think management recognizes the other players and their particular skills as well.

Luanda
01-24-2009, 02:07 PM
You can teach players how to play defense. BUT, you can not teach them how to score! TFC needs players who can put the ball into the net.

DeRo is an excelent start to solve this issue. Others are required.

ExiledRed
01-24-2009, 02:13 PM
San Jose had almost as good a defense as Columbus but they finished last while Columbus finished first (yes, check the stats -- only a 2 goal diff against between San Jose and Columbus).

It's about balance not one or the other.

as i've said, yes, let's improve the defense. But let's not allocate big resources just to a defender at the expense of a striker. We need to score more goals, and De Rosario helps but we need to improve there more than we need to improve our defense. I would allocate more resources to a striker.

SJ had one of the best defences in the league, conceding 38. Only three teams did better and not by much. Unfortunately they scored less than we did, and therefore didn't win enough games.

Our defence last season was good enough to carry us through, provided we were finishing our chances. We couldn't score, and when you can't score it doesn't matter how many you let in anyway, unless you think you can win the league on 0-0 results.

Damien
01-24-2009, 02:21 PM
SJ had one of the best defences in the league, conceding 38. Only three teams did better and not by much. Unfortunately they scored less than we did, and therefore didn't win enough games.

Our defence last season was good enough to carry us through, provided we were finishing our chances. We couldn't score, and when you can't score it doesn't matter how many you let in anyway, unless you think you can win the league on 0-0 results.

I never really looked at the stats that way. I can see now why Mo is lookin thoroughly for more scoring threats.

Super
01-24-2009, 03:05 PM
If we had more fire power last season we would've made the play-offs, period. End of story, really. A CB won't win us games. Might help us from losing some, but a ton of draws won't get us into the play-offs either.

FluSH
01-24-2009, 03:22 PM
The grass contraband... STOP the Pirating of GRASS!

Please don't buy turf and support your local grass farmers!

felipe
01-24-2009, 04:34 PM
well its obvious...we need both.

A cultured striker (i'm thinking of an 23 year old explosive type - a real striker, a real goal poacher - not a target man - Dichio, and not a barret/dickov hard worker type...we already have those)

and a commanding Centre back, (27 year old experienced preferably hard nosed brit or any northern euro for that matter). (Even the twenty-eight year old version of Tyrone marshall would do)

Coupling these two things, and with our new found depth, (which can't be over emphasised); we are a legitimate contender to win everything next year.

GuelphStorm2007
01-24-2009, 04:54 PM
I think the defence needs to be improved. I remember they had Harmse in at CB for a bit last year and he did reasonably well. Better than I thought. Also another problem I noticed was they always seem to breakdown as the game got closer to the end. I think tfc LAST YEAR LOST 2 OR 3 games in the dying moments. that needs to addressed.:noidea:

ExiledRed
01-24-2009, 05:10 PM
I think the defence needs to be improved. I remember they had Harmse in at CB for a bit last year and he did reasonably well. Better than I thought. Also another problem I noticed was they always seem to breakdown as the game got closer to the end. I think tfc LAST YEAR LOST 2 OR 3 games in the dying moments. that needs to addressed.:noidea:

we lost 2 or 3 games in the dying moments?

What about the other 10 we lost, and the countless 0-0 draws?

WE COULDN"T SCORE!

canadian_bhoy
01-24-2009, 05:23 PM
we lost 2 or 3 games in the dying moments?

What about the other 10 we lost, and the countless 0-0 draws?

WE COULDN"T SCORE!

I'm not reading anymore of your posts until you come up with some new awesome Cashzilla's!

gtaguy
01-24-2009, 06:06 PM
grass and a fricken roof over our heads..im totally hyped over tfc's chances this year...

its time now for our reserve team players to step it up to make the squad...

nascarguy
01-25-2009, 09:33 PM
TFC biggest problem is the city and if I hear about any sport that wants to play on our field that is not soccer I'm going to be pissed.

Fort York Redcoat
01-26-2009, 10:43 AM
Striker first then CB or 2 this season. Grass and roof are a given but I don't expect it. Hope but to expect would be naive.

jabbronies
01-26-2009, 11:45 AM
Mo is looking for a DP striker. I don't think he will settle for anything less. and the way things are looking - we are not getting one anytime soon.

That's why we have DeRo. He's a guy in the mid who can score goals - something we lacked last year. This mean Dichio can play his holding game and wait for DeRo to come up and score. This means Barrett has someone who can get him the ball where he needs it. DeRo is the solution that Mo has come up with until he finds a DP striker.

with that being said, we still haven't addressed our D problems which we've had since the start of the 08 season. We NEED better D. Plain and simple. I don't know why you guys think Velez and Marshell are good enough for now? One of them, ok I can deal with, but bth of them together equals a huge hole in our central D line.....a huge fucking hole!

Lets not forget, we let in a shit load of goals last season.
I think we were one of the worst D teams last year. Not good when your D have problems coming out thier own end with the ball. It's not only about goals being let in either, how can you expect the forwards to make things happen if the D can't even control the ball out of thier own end to get them the ball??

ExiledRed
01-26-2009, 11:59 AM
Mo is looking for a DP striker. I don't think he will settle for anything less. and the way things are looking - we are not getting one anytime soon.

That's why we have DeRo. He's a guy in the mid who can score goals - something we lacked last year. This mean Dichio can play his holding game and wait for DeRo to come up and score. This means Barrett has someone who can get him the ball where he needs it. DeRo is the solution that Mo has come up with until he finds a DP striker.

with that being said, we still haven't addressed our D problems which we've had since the start of the 08 season. We NEED better D. Plain and simple. I don't know why you guys think Velez and Marshell are good enough for now? One of them, ok I can deal with, but bth of them together equals a huge hole in our central D line.....a huge fucking hole!

Lets not forget, we let in a shit load of goals last season.
I think we were one of the worst D teams last year. Not good when your D have problems coming out thier own end with the ball. It's not only about goals being let in either, how can you expect the forwards to make things happen if the D can't even control the ball out of thier own end to get them the ball??

We let in 43 goals, which was not even close to the worst in the league.

New England also conceded 43 goals.

New York conceded 48, Colorado conceded 45, DC conceded 51, LA conceded 62.

Shaughno
01-26-2009, 12:05 PM

Fuckin Ian, been too long since you popped your head in for a common sense post. ;)

Agreed though, far from the worst but also if we had a backline as tight as Shitcago or Houston, 33 and 32 GA respectively, it would have helped us out tremendously.

I would like to see a quick and commanding CB come in, but realistically I think Marshall and Velez can do the job if needed. I just hate pairing the two of them side by side as they almost always seem to lose each other on crossing runs from the opposition.

jabbronies
01-26-2009, 01:37 PM

As I said in my post..one of the worst, Not THE worst.

Shaughno
01-26-2009, 01:39 PM

But we're like literally the middle of the pack for goals against. 32 is the lowest, 63 is the highest IIRC. So technically, aside from the shitty Galaxy we're exactly half way between the best and worst defensive teams.

jabbronies
01-26-2009, 01:40 PM
I would like to see a quick and commanding CB come in, but realistically I think Marshall and Velez can do the job if needed. I just hate pairing the two of them side by side as they almost always seem to lose each other on crossing runs from the opposition.

How can they do the job with a final sentence like that??

We can't have both of them on our back line together. Especially up the middle. It's a liability IMO.

ExiledRed
01-26-2009, 02:01 PM

We weren't one of the worst, merely in the middle of the pack.

San Jose, as I said in one of my previous posts had the third best defence in the league and a fat lot of good it did them.

Mo and John are focusing on our real problem, which is our inability to play exciting football and score goals, until this problem is solved, it doesnt matter if we have cardboard cutouts on the back line.

Shaughno
01-26-2009, 02:06 PM
How can they do the job with a final sentence like that??

We can't have both of them on our back line together. Especially up the middle. It's a liability IMO.

That's what I said, it seems to be when they get messed up the most. Though when we played Velez out on the right he actually had a fantastic game and I believe that's when he scored his goal. Fancy that, his natural position (second after his original as a striker) is where he plays best.

Remember before TFC, Velez never played CB before.

jabbronies
01-26-2009, 02:19 PM
That's what I said, it seems to be when they get messed up the most. Though when we played Velez out on the right he actually had a fantastic game and I believe that's when he scored his goal. Fancy that, his natural position (second after his original as a striker) is where he plays best.

Remember before TFC, Velez never played CB before.

So we should look for a CB rather than play a guy out of position ? ;)
Sorry, as a defencemen myself, I find that back line absolutly unacceptable.

We have Wynne who is more of an offensive threat than a solid Wall on D.
Jimmy B playing out of position - He's a mid man
Marco Velez playing out of position
Tyronne Marshell who is the only player on D who is both playing his natural position and is a sort of solid D man.

canadian_bhoy
01-26-2009, 02:21 PM
How many 3+ goal games has TFC ever had?

Shaughno
01-26-2009, 02:22 PM
I don't mind Jimmy at the back tbh.

Wynne, despite his speed causes unneeded stress on the backline at times due to his lack of man marking.

Velez shouldn't play CB, period.

I said before, I think we can cope with what we have as we have a better team in front of them as well... but that said, I would still like to see a proper commanding CB come in. Tebily would have worked perfectly IMO.

Shaughno
01-26-2009, 02:23 PM
How many 3+ goal games has TFC ever had?

2 that I can think of off the top of my head. Chicago and Dallas, both first season.

Velvet Elvis
01-26-2009, 02:28 PM
I don't mind Jimmy at the back tbh.

Wynne, despite his speed causes unneeded stress on the backline at times due to his lack of man marking.

Velez shouldn't play CB, period.

I said before, I think we can cope with what we have as we have a better team in front of them as well... but that said, I would still like to see a proper commanding CB come in. Tebily would have worked perfectly IMO.

What about Jimmy B as a CB like he was for much of the first season, with Dunnivant back as LB?

dannyd
01-26-2009, 04:59 PM
I don't understand this obsession with our CB's to be honest. Maybe I just view the game differently than you lot, but Marshall and Velez were the best part of our back line (defensively). If I had to do something at the back, I would look first at replacing Sutton, then Brennan and Wynne and keep Velez and Marshall.

Our three main problems are scoring goals, Greg Sutton and team understanding/communication...

Stryker
01-26-2009, 05:02 PM
The fact that televised games aren't taking full advantage of my high def big screen. :D
Yeah I know it's low on the priority list but they really need to address it.

Shaughno
01-26-2009, 05:03 PM
What about Jimmy B as a CB like he was for much of the first season, with Dunnivant back as LB?

He was OK, but he's a winger by trade. Personally I'd rather have Jimmy at LB and Dunny at LB/LW (backup).

I don't understand this obsession with our CB's to be honest. Maybe I just view the game differently than you lot, but Marshall and Velez were the best part of our back line (defensively). If I had to do something at the back, I would look first at replacing Sutton, then Brennan and Wynne and keep Velez and Marshall.

Our three main problems are scoring goals, Greg Sutton and team understanding/communication...

IMO, confusion and lack of communication was our biggest problem in the defense. That stems from two things, Keeper and CB. If Frei is as good as people claim, Sutton will be hard pressed to keep his spot.

I don't like Velez as a CB as it's not his natural position and it's obvious when he plays. I'd much rather have him on the wing, but Marvel is already there.

jvanpeebles
01-27-2009, 11:14 AM
We have some youth in the sysyem which long term may help our defense. The problem is we definatly need someone to own that position now. Certainly we can't win if we don't score but defense does wins championships. You need look no further than last years champs. That being said winning long term should be our main goal. De Ro is a step in the right direction.

MartinUtd
01-27-2009, 11:21 AM
I would argue that TFC's biggest problem is not filling a particular position but maintaining depth on those international match days.

So in short, its the inability of the league to synchronize its schedule with FIFA.

denime
01-27-2009, 11:27 AM
Right now,TFC does NOT have any problems.

It's offseason and you are all bored that's TFC biggest problem.:p

:deadhorse::violin:

Shaughno
01-27-2009, 11:29 AM
Amen buddy, amen. :lol:

rocker
01-27-2009, 11:42 AM
I would argue that TFC's biggest problem is not filling a particular position but maintaining depth on those international match days.

So in short, its the inability of the league to synchronize its schedule with FIFA.

i wanna see what TFC does with that flexibility the league has offered. I can't find the details but I believe it was something like they could move three games around if needed.

LucaGol
01-27-2009, 12:16 PM
Right now,TFC does NOT have any problems.

It's offseason and you are all bored that's TFC biggest problem.:p

:deadhorse::violin:

Alright mods ... close the forum down ... it's the offseason. Nothing to talk about I guess.

Dozitwin
01-28-2009, 10:18 PM

I absolutely agree with this. Looking at last year there were several games where our lack of ability to finish put us on the losing side.

Bloor West FC
01-28-2009, 10:35 PM
Defense Kills all MLSE owned sports teams! No exception with TFC!

ExiledRed
01-28-2009, 10:36 PM
Defense Kills all MLSE owned sports teams! No exception with TFC!

Lack of offence kills ALL FOOTBALL teams,

no goals, no wins.

MartinUtd
01-29-2009, 12:18 PM
i wanna see what TFC does with that flexibility the league has offered. I can't find the details but I believe it was something like they could move three games around if needed.

That'd be great, when was this announced? I seem to remember last year the league would let us reschedule a game despite mutual consent from both teams. I think it was the Colorado road game (which worked out for us in the end anyway)