PDA

View Full Version : Can Chad Barett Be Our Principal goalscorer?

jloome
01-24-2009, 01:18 AM
I'm expecting him to hit double-digit goals this year, based on eight in his second season out of the draft (and first full), and nine last year. He's also gone up in assists each year.

Given that, if Barrett scores 10 or 11, is he not then a legitimate threat upfront, and is the need for another outside striker overstated?

Keyman
01-24-2009, 01:37 AM
Yes, Chad Barrett can be our primary striker. Would the addition of a proven, 15-20 goal scoring striker hurt? Obviously it wouldn't. But I don't see the club stuggling through scoring droughts this season like they have previously. The addition of DeRo gives us an attacking player who should score around seven or right goals. Add low double digits from Barrett, probably between 11-13, 4-6 from Amado, and more from our backup strikers/midfielders, and I think we have a very dangerous attack. People need to stop focusing on our attack as an area of need.

Damien
01-24-2009, 01:38 AM
Ricketts, Guevara and DeRo feeding him = he BETTER have a good season!

Brooker
01-24-2009, 01:52 AM
i think with a full season in Toronto and Guevara/DeRo behind him, he's going to have a much better season. he better. :D

jloome
01-24-2009, 02:42 AM
He's got a really quick first step and if he can just reign in the cannon shots from close in and just pick the corners, he's got such prospects. I can't understand why those idiot Fire fans were so low on him, given his age and production so far.

Shakes McQueen
01-24-2009, 03:31 AM
Barrett CAN become a top striker for any MLS team, absolutely. With that in mind, he does have some accuracy issues. I remember a game against Chivas in particular, where he missed 2-3 clear breakaways.

However, his work rate is through the roof, and he has a pretty good football IQ. I think he has boundless potential, but I also think he'd benefit from having another proficient 15-20 goal scorer on the roster.

He was a fantastic signing, though. You really can't say enough about the guy's work rate. He was essential to our late season success, and I think we will play a lot better with him here for a full season.

I'm excited to see how much better, and home much more fit, he has gotten.

Also excited to see him playing with DeRo slotting in balls to him now.

- Scott

Shakes McQueen
01-24-2009, 03:33 AM
He's got a really quick first step and if he can just reign in the cannon shots from close in and just pick the corners, he's got such prospects. I can't understand why those idiot Fire fans were so low on him, given his age and production so far.

Agreed 100%. The joke is on Chicago, McBride didn't make a world of difference to their squad last season, and he's at the end of his football lifespan. Barrett is going to get better.

Carver really seemed to be getting good things out of him. I remember when he scored that cracking free kick goal against Colorado, and immediately ran over to hug Carver first.

God I love our squad, and coach. :D

- Scott

UltraSuperMegaMo
01-24-2009, 03:51 AM
I think Barret can be the team’s top scorer. My concern is the formation floating around with him as the lone striker in a 4-5-1. I don’t think he would be a good fit as a lone striker. I feel the team needs another striker for depth purposes.

Cashcleaner
01-24-2009, 07:23 AM
Not surprised with the results thus far of the poll. Barrett is obviously a great asset for the team and has plenty of promise in him to become even better, but another starting striker would be of tremendous use for us as well.

Good poll!

Shakes McQueen
01-24-2009, 08:19 AM
My only problem is that the first and third options aren't necessarily mutually exclusive. Barrett is young and improving, but I also think we could use another clinical finisher.

- Scott

koryo
01-24-2009, 08:54 AM
I don't see Barrett as a world beater (ie: I don't think he's going to become a 20-goal scorer in this league), but I reckon we'll be able to bank on 10 a season from him.

We do need more firepower up front. He'll get better service this year but the question is whether his touch will do said service justice.

Stouffville_RPB
01-24-2009, 09:34 AM
Barrett can produce but I don't feel comfortable putting our entire season on his shoulders.

cementhead
01-24-2009, 09:37 AM
I like Barrett I would think he could get between 10 to 15 goals for us but yes another striker is need.What will Dichio and Abdus Ibrahim get and what of O'Brian White when he ready!I don't think scoring goal will be our problem keep them out look to be!

loconet
01-24-2009, 10:21 AM
I also like Barrett. He is a big reason why I'm not too worried about finding a superstar striker as much as I'm worried about defense.

He's strong and has decent positioning. Double digits for him this year would not surprise me. Having said that, having another striker would be ideal.

Cambridge_Red
01-24-2009, 10:22 AM
If his fitness improves I could see chad netting 10 or so goals. I see this as a big season for him.

Oldtimer
01-24-2009, 10:41 AM
I think Barret can be the team’s top scorer. My concern is the formation floating around with him as the lone striker in a 4-5-1. I don’t think he would be a good fit as a lone striker. I feel the team needs another striker for depth purposes.

Agreed. Barret himself said he was unconfortable when Chicago put him in for part of the season as a lone striker. He's much better paired with someone.

However, we have options. We can play DeRo as a withdrawn striker. We can put in DD for part of a game, at least. O'Brian White I expect will be good enough to start, once he's match-fit. Abbie we can slot in when others aren't available. Adding another striker would be ideal, but we're already in decent shape for a playoff run.

Isn't it wonderful? Much better than having Cunningham and Lombardo or Colin Pieman-Samuel as our striker options, with occasionally an injured DD limping in.

Beach_Red
01-24-2009, 10:48 AM
Agreed. Barret himself said he was unconfortable when Chicago put him in for part of the season as a lone striker. He's much better paired with someone.

However, we have options. We can play DeRo as a withdrawn striker. We can put in DD for part of a game, at least. O'Brian White I expect will be good enough to start, once he's match-fit. Abbie we can slot in when others aren't available. Adding another striker would be ideal, but we're already in decent shape for a playoff run.

Isn't it wonderful? Much better than having Cunningham and Lombardo or Colin Pieman-Samuel as our striker options, with occasionally an injured DD limping in.

Yes, a playoff run. We can always keep the DP slot available and see where we are in June and who's available then. Has this team ever scored a goal in July?

Plenty of Trout
01-24-2009, 10:55 AM
Has this team ever scored a goal in July?

Ouch!!!

That hurt!!!!

H Bomb
01-24-2009, 10:58 AM
If nothing changes he is the primary goal scoring threat. For me the difference between good and great teams is finishing/goal scoring. So for me at this point we could only be a good team.

BuSaPuNk
01-24-2009, 11:54 AM
He will pot his 10-15 goals I would think this year. He has to get his match fitness back to the level he ended at last year. But we do need someone to help him out. He can't play up top by himself. Even if they slot DeRo as a attacking mid right behind Barrett that would help.

BFin
01-24-2009, 01:14 PM
Barrett had a decent season last year for us. What was it 4 goals 3 assists in 13 games?
Over a full season that projects to 8 goals and 6 assists. Given that the midfield has improved significantly, and are much more threatening offensively...I don't think 10 is out of the question at all. Given that hes is 24 (i think) I would say he is fine as our principle striker.

UltraSuperMegaMo
01-24-2009, 02:21 PM
10-15 goals for Barret?! I think that’s being very optimistic. I think what sometimes gets forgotten is that while it would be nice to have the likes for Barret scoring 10-15 goals, even a relatively modest increase in scoring for the team as whole will make a huge difference. Just imagine you had six goals to add to last season’s total wherever you wanted, we would have won the Canada Cup and been in the playoffs (maybe).

I think 10 goals is probably the high end of what can be expected for Barret.

billyfly
01-24-2009, 02:36 PM
At the Open Practice last season I asked him if could be our main man. He answered confidently (as I expected he would) that "YES".

Time will tell..

FluSH
01-24-2009, 02:55 PM
He's not fast enough...the errant shooting is not an issue... at least he is shooting... eventually they'll go in... I just don't think he has that 3rd gear to be a striker. Although he can prove me wrong as he outpaced one defender last season and caught the keeper way off his line.

Roogsy
01-24-2009, 02:55 PM
I think Barrett can carry lots of weight as he continues to develop.

But we need a solid striker to put it in when he goes through dry spells. CB has been streaky in the past...and I would expect it to continue that way.

Bars92
01-24-2009, 03:05 PM
Hopefully he can make it through a match without being subbed off at the hour mark.

TFC OZZ
01-24-2009, 03:51 PM
I think Barrett will get 10 goals this season

Stryker
01-24-2009, 04:00 PM
My team goal scoring prediction:
Barrett - 9
Dichio - 3
White - 5
DeRosario - 7
Ricketts - 6
Guevara - 3
Ibby - 2
Smith -4
Rest of team - 7

Total: 46

S_D
01-24-2009, 04:14 PM

Don't blame the Chicago fans they called it right lol. I watched a pile of Chicago games and you could see the problems. It was a combination of things, which can be for the most part blamed on their coaching staff and a player shortage on the right side. Barrett does have to take some of the blame though.

The Chicago coaching staff never figured out the solution to his constant cramping, so he was gone for the last 20 minutes nearly every game. Under Winsper, it was apparently figured out as I mentioned in another thread. Any fan would get frustrated at this.

The Chicago staff constantly played Barrett as lone striker. He needs a partner. The reason why he played lone striker is because Rolfe was constantly dropped back to right midfield.

Justin Mapp... He is a decent left mid but he has major stamina problems. Great in the first half, disappeared in the second half. Can't score if your mids are too gassed to chase down balls and make the cross.

The part of Barrett's fault... he would constantly miss open sitters. He would get the ball and sky it or send it wide. Pretty frustrating for fans to see. All he had to learn was some patience. A few games in I saw some improvement on this, and you can probably give the credit to Carver.

I have hopes for Barrett, and considering he will be getting service from arguable the best midfield in the MLS, he should definitely improve on his goal totals from last season.

Beach_Red
01-24-2009, 04:15 PM
My team goal scoring prediction:
Barrett - 9
Dichio - 3
White - 5
DeRosario - 7
Ricketts - 6
Guevara - 3
Ibby - 2
Smith -4
Rest of team - 7

Total: 46

Last year's returning players:

Danny Dichio - 5
Chad Barrett - 4
Amado Guevara - 4
Rohan Ricketts - 4
Abdus Ibrahim - 2
Marco Velez - 2
Marvell Wynne - 2
Jim Brennan - 1
Carl Robinson - 1
Tyler Rosenlund - 1

So, yeah, you're prediction looks good.

Captain Croatia
01-24-2009, 04:16 PM
Barrett with 12 goals this season. DeRo and Guevara behind him will let him have plenty of opportunities to put them away.

If he learns to make most of his chances, i think he can get around 15-18 goals.

LOL, i know it sounds crazy

Stryker
01-24-2009, 04:17 PM
http://web.mlsnet.com/imgs/headers/txt_goldenboot.gif
Player - Team - Games - Goals - Assists
Landon Donovan - LA 25 20 9
Kenny Cooper - DAL 30 18 3
Edson Buddle - LA 27 15 3
Juan Pablo Angel - NY 23 14 3
Brian Ching - HOU 25 13 5
Luciano Emilio - DC 27 11 5
Conor Casey - COL 21 11 2
Jaime Moreno - DC 25 10 10
Chad Barrett - TOR 29 9 7
Chris Rolfe - CHI 26 9 7

Barrett was certainly no slouch last year.

T_Mizz
01-24-2009, 05:59 PM
Indeed plus he should just be coming out either this past draft or the one before it, according to his age so he should be able to improve plus with three AM feeding him the ball this should be his break out season

trane
01-24-2009, 06:09 PM
I realy do not know what to make of Barrett, but I will say this I do not think he can play as the lone striker, unless he is in a system that one or two attacking mids are realy close behind ( therefore not trully leaving him alone). I also would like to see him tried as a second striker/attacking mid, but I am not sure if he has all the skills. I still prefer a healthy/in form Dichio to Barrett ( although those days may be over) becuse of his size, Footy IQ, and goal poaching sense, quick trigger. All of which he seems to have more then Barrett.

On the other hand I have seen flashes in Barrett, therefore my reluctance to say that he will not develop in a top striker he may yet.

T_Mizz
01-24-2009, 06:17 PM
Let's not forget that in this league at least being a striker is 90% the people giving you the ball as we've seen with "great" strikers that come here and do nothing, Esky, Cunny, Ruiz, Buddle

TheRenter
01-24-2009, 07:33 PM
Yes, but another striker wouldn't hurt

J .
01-25-2009, 03:17 AM
He is not a top striker now, but I think he could be a 15 a year guy with a partner who can help spread the field. Him and Ibbe or Mos new rumoured striker signing could cause teams problems with Che and DeRo feeding them.

Draracle
01-25-2009, 12:39 PM
Barrett has the look and feel of a pure striker. He needs to tighten up his shot -- so many just sailed wide of goal. But he can strike from distance, he can strike in close, he can strike off balance, he can strike blindly. If he can get his on target % up he will bag tons of goals.

Fort York Redcoat
01-26-2009, 11:58 AM
Barrett looks like that kind of player in a conundrum that needs time to become consistent but I think the team should be using him off the bench and start the DP striker tha tshould be coming. So yes I think he could be great but it may take a couple of seasons for him to take advantage of limited time on the pitch.

Steve
01-26-2009, 12:13 PM
He was ninth in the league last year with 9 goals. That includes 4 after coming in to an unknown (terrible) Toronto side halfway through the season last year. He is on the rise. Do I want another proven striker? Sure, you can't have enough (especially with injuries) but I think this kid will be able to shine for us. Look at it this was, he's only 23 right now. He hasn't even hit his stride yet, let alone peaked. Look at the golden boot list with regards to age:

Landon Donovan - LA - 26
Kenny Cooper - DAL - 24
Edson Buddle - LA - 27
Juan Pablo Angel - NY - 33
Brian Ching - HOU - 30
Luciano Emilio - DC - 30
Conor Casey - COL - 27
Jaime Moreno - DC - 35
Chad Barrett - TOR -23
Chris Rolfe - CHI - 26

So, he's the youngest player on the list. I expect him to beat 10 (hopefully beat 12) next year with his improving ability, new, improved team, and real pre-season. Barrett has quality, and we got an absolute steal of a deal for him (not even considering the fact that McBride would never have played for us, McBride got 5 goals last year to Barrett's 4, Barrett is on the upswing of his carreer, and we also got Frei.).

TFCREDNWHITE
01-26-2009, 06:42 PM
I like the kid, I think if he works and trains really hard he could have a great year!! He could even work himself back into the USMNT.

I think he really has a blinding predatory hunger, which you want your striker to have...He just has to really work hard on his finishing. If he has an incredible year he might even get some european looks!

supernothingman
01-26-2009, 06:45 PM
Positioning and technique isn't good enough to be an out-and-out striker. He's better suited with a partner up front.

I'd be jubilant with a 10 goal season.

Marco2K
01-28-2009, 08:41 PM
I think the Key is his stamina. He works hard. It just seems late in a game he has nothing left in the tank.

CretanBull
01-28-2009, 08:48 PM
If we go with a scoring-by-committee philosophy Barrett can be our main striker - and with an improved midfield he might be good for 10 goals. If he is out main guy up front though, I'd expect Dichio & Ibby to get a fair amount of playing time.

In a perfect world, Barrett is our #2 guy up front playing along side a more traditional striker or with a Dichio type (hmm, maybe Dichio can play this role) player who can hold the ball up and create room.

BFin
01-28-2009, 08:55 PM
He was ninth in the league last year with 9 goals. That includes 4 after coming in to an unknown (terrible) Toronto side halfway through the season last year. He is on the rise. Do I want another proven striker? Sure, you can't have enough (especially with injuries) but I think this kid will be able to shine for us. Look at it this was, he's only 23 right now. He hasn't even hit his stride yet, let alone peaked. Look at the golden boot list with regards to age:

Landon Donovan - LA - 26
Kenny Cooper - DAL - 24
Edson Buddle - LA - 27
Juan Pablo Angel - NY - 33
Brian Ching - HOU - 30
Luciano Emilio - DC - 30
Conor Casey - COL - 27
Jaime Moreno - DC - 35
Chad Barrett - TOR -23
Chris Rolfe - CHI - 26

So, he's the youngest player on the list. I expect him to beat 10 (hopefully beat 12) next year with his improving ability, new, improved team, and real pre-season. Barrett has quality, and we got an absolute steal of a deal for him (not even considering the fact that McBride would never have played for us, McBride got 5 goals last year to Barrett's 4, Barrett is on the upswing of his carreer, and we also got Frei.).

I have to agree with most of this statement. I posted earlier that he was projected to hit 8-9 goals and 6-7 assists with us in a full season last year. Adding on top of that an improved midfield, with much better offensive instincts, and another year of training to be a professional soccer player, I can honestly not see a reason for us to be questioning this? We finished lower than ninth in the league...so how can we bitch about having a top 10 striker who is 23?

Bloor West FC
01-28-2009, 10:36 PM
In Chad I beleaf :)

Marc"2L"
01-30-2009, 08:47 PM
If we go with a scoring-by-committee philosophy Barrett can be our main striker - and with an improved midfield he might be good for 10 goals. If he is out main guy up front though, I'd expect Dichio & Ibby to get a fair amount of playing time.

In a perfect world, Barrett is our #2 guy up front playing along side a more traditional striker or with a Dichio type (hmm, maybe Dichio can play this role) player who can hold the ball up and create room.

Dichio was the one who played the ball up for the CA goal in NY....
that Barrett happen to put in....

rocker
01-30-2009, 08:55 PM
one thing i like about Chad is he seems really determined. you can believe in him, since he seems really focused and hustles his ass off. 10 goals and lots of hustle should be more than enough for the critics, shouldn't it?

ManUtd4ever
01-30-2009, 10:16 PM
Chad Barrett was an unexpected gift last year. Based on his current work ethic and developing skill level, I believe Barrett has the potential to fulfill the role of a primary striker in time...

tim90
01-31-2009, 03:59 PM
barrett 10 dichio 6 and guevara 5 rohan 6 ibrahim 2 marvell wynne 3 jim brennan 4 carl robinson 2 tyler rosenlund 2

BFin
01-31-2009, 08:26 PM
barrett 10 dichio 6 and guevara 5 rohan 6 ibrahim 2 marvell wynne 3 jim brennan 4 carl robinson 2 tyler rosenlund 2
DeRo not picking up any goals this year?
Johnann Smith out of the equation?

giambac
02-02-2009, 03:39 PM
I'm expecting him to hit double-digit goals this year, based on eight in his second season out of the draft (and first full), and nine last year. He's also gone up in assists each year.

Given that, if Barrett scores 10 or 11, is he not then a legitimate threat upfront, and is the need for another outside striker overstated?

I don't even know why I'm responding to this:noidea::drinking: