PDA

View Full Version : DeRo eyes GRASS FOR BMO

egoodwin
01-23-2009, 10:52 PM
http://www.globesports.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20090123.wspt-soc-dero-side-23/GSStory/GlobeSportsSoccer/home

Nerepis
01-23-2009, 10:57 PM
I think we all dream of the day when they have to mow BMO Field :)

Oor Wullie
01-23-2009, 11:01 PM
good read....

Jack
01-23-2009, 11:05 PM
I am saying grass for next season.

2011 at the absolute latest.

Redcoe15
01-23-2009, 11:55 PM
MAKE IT SO!!!:stogey:

BFin
01-23-2009, 11:57 PM
MAKE IT SO!!!:stogey:
hahah see you on the columbus bus.

Damien
01-24-2009, 01:40 AM
MY fave part of the article....

General manager John Doyle said he tried to trade O'Brien but there were no takers.

Toronto FC says it has no interest in bringing O'Brien back.

Keystone FC
01-24-2009, 03:43 AM

Agree. It's either TFC/MLSE/T.O. give in and get grass or the TFC players knees give in. I see grass being less expensive and less frustrating than the later.

redcard
01-24-2009, 08:41 AM

i doubt it, until another facility is built for community use...grass will always be a dream.

Oldtimer
01-24-2009, 10:28 AM
Who needs Ronnie O' when you have DeRo?

BTW, it reminds me about the endless threads about what an idiot Mo was for trading Ronnie O'Brien. I think that our midfield is now looking like one of the best in MLS.

gtaguy
01-24-2009, 11:06 AM
based off what i have read... Bmo stadium is our after this year.. no contract commitments from the city or the federal goverment after 3 years as long as another stadium is built to support minor league and community needs... grass and further stadium expansion is in the mix for 2010..

gtaguy
01-24-2009, 11:09 AM
put it this way.. Im sure that he has a clause in his contract that dictates that he will play on the real green stuff before his 4 year deal is done for torontofc

rocker
01-24-2009, 11:24 AM
based off what i have read... Bmo stadium is our after this year.. no contract commitments from the city or the federal goverment after 3 years as long as another stadium is built to support minor league and community needs... grass and further stadium expansion is in the mix for 2010..

where'd you read that?

Carter
01-24-2009, 11:35 AM

I would also like to know where you read this?
MLSE contributed towards the cost of the building of the stadium. With the total costs in the realm of $62 million ($72 million including land), contributions came from multiple sources. MLSE contributed $8 million towards the construction of the stadium and $10 million towards securing the naming rights of the stadium. The Canadian Federal Government contributed $27 million, with Ontario's government adding an additional $8 million. Toronto paid $9.8 million, and has the ownership of the stadium. (All figures are in Canadian dollars (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_dollar).) I think that says that the City of Toronto has ownership... correct me if im wrong......

ensco
01-24-2009, 12:09 PM
The City of Toronto owns BMO. In perpetuity.

To get grass at BMO, MLSE would have to provide the City with another facility, with a bubble, to fulfill the "public-use" component of the original government commitment to fund BMO, which would offset the loss in usage that would result if BMO had grass.

This is complicated, it's about more than money, as the likely venues (the parking lot beside BMO, Lamport, Centennial, Eglinton Flats) are all publicly owned already. The City must make sure that public assets are put to the best possible long-term use.

I'm encouraged by the noises coming from Mo and others on this.

Beach_Red
01-24-2009, 12:19 PM
^ How come only the city owns it if the feds and the province put up more money?

Just curious, really. I'm also encouraged. This whole thing started so cautiously but there's no denying the need now.

rocker
01-24-2009, 12:29 PM
^ How come only the city owns it if the feds and the province put up more money?

Just curious, really. I'm also encouraged. This whole thing started so cautiously but there's no denying the need now.

feds put up the most, but the city put up more than the province. i don't think the feds are in the business of owning this stuff... they give money out on conditions but ownership usually stays local (so it becomes a local problem later if upgrades are needed or whatever).

also, it has to do with land ownership and property taxes. The land was not provincial or federal land -- it was the city's land, a very important piece of property for the city... so they had that ultimate say on using that land. And if the city owns it, no property taxes must be paid. If MLSE had owned it, they'd pay big property tax to the city.

RedRum
01-24-2009, 12:44 PM
If the turf hardens at the same rate from season 2-3 the same way it did from 1-2, I dont think it can be played on in season 4 and they will be forced to put in grass.

redcard
01-24-2009, 12:58 PM
i think inorder for the turf to be in good condition, they have it groomed every so often...right now for indoor the turf is rock solid...very little give...but once the season nears they will have the turf 'fluffed'

i would love to see an indoor facility built like the hershey sportzone at the woodbine race track...they are planning to build a ice rink, i say scrap that a build a indoor soccer facility!

Chevy
01-24-2009, 12:59 PM
The City of Toronto owns BMO. In perpetuity.

To get grass at BMO, MLSE would have to provide the City with another facility, with a bubble, to fulfill the "public-use" component of the original government commitment to fund BMO, which would offset the loss in usage that would result if BMO had grass.

This is complicated, it's about more than money, as the likely venues (the parking lot beside BMO, Lamport, Centennial, Eglinton Flats) are all publicly owned already. The City must make sure that public assets are put to the best possible long-term use.

I'm encouraged by the noises coming from Mo and others on this.

^^Exactly. Build another facility and transfer the "public-use" component from BMO to the new facility. The land issue is a potential problem, but I think within 2-3 years this can be done.

rocker
01-24-2009, 02:13 PM
i wouldn't be surprised if the delay is due to 1) politics being a very slow beast and 2) a careful consideration of the optics of this. Cuz you know cunts like Dave Perkins at the Star, who ignores soccer, will write a front page column about how a private business is getting their way and the public is losing out (ya, I know the point is that a separate public use facility will be created, but these dummies won't see it that way). So they have to do this right and carefully and make sure everything is in place before it's announced.

Beach_Red
01-24-2009, 02:28 PM
feds put up the most, but the city put up more than the province. i don't think the feds are in the business of owning this stuff... they give money out on conditions but ownership usually stays local (so it becomes a local problem later if upgrades are needed or whatever).

also, it has to do with land ownership and property taxes. The land was not provincial or federal land -- it was the city's land, a very important piece of property for the city... so they had that ultimate say on using that land. And if the city owns it, no property taxes must be paid. If MLSE had owned it, they'd pay big property tax to the city.

Thanks.

brad
01-24-2009, 05:34 PM
If the turf hardens at the same rate from season 2-3 the same way it did from 1-2, I dont think it can be played on in season 4 and they will be forced to put in grass.

Or relay the turf...

scooter
01-25-2009, 04:10 PM
yes i agree when we make the playoffs and stop the doubters
we will give the city an indoor all season pitch or pitches
and bmo will be grass
then we can all enjoy more football cause the mens national team will
be here as well as hopefully the womens national team
then we can also have teams from all over the world come to our city
and entertain us the fans
wake up mlse there is money to be made here

Stryker
01-25-2009, 04:25 PM
Or relay the turf...

Given the current hoopla over grass I doubt that'll happen.
We'll get grass, but only after the turf is worn to the point its unusable and has to be replaced. How long that will take.. I have no idea.

Nuvinho
01-25-2009, 04:52 PM
I played on it today......its getting pretty bad.

I will do all I can to make the turf unusable next time I am there ;)......hahaha!!!!!