PDA

View Full Version : Ives: Sounders complete Montero deal

Stryker
01-23-2009, 05:19 PM
The Seattle Sounders took a major step toward making their first season in MLS a memorable one by completing the acquisition of young Colombian forward Fredy Montero.
Seattle reached an agreement with Deportivo Cali for Montero, with Montero's acquisition of a P-1 visa being the last obstacle to the move being completed.
The 21-year-old goal scorer from Deportivo Cali has already played for the Colombian national team and enters the 2009 MLS season as one of the most high-profile signings of the winter.
It should also be noted though that the last high-profile goal scorer from the Colombia league to come to MLS was Sergio Galvan Rey, who never did quite duplicate his goal-scoring success in Colombia with the Red Bulls.
That aside, Montero enters MLS as one of the most highly-anticipated young acquisitions in league history. He should partner with Nate Jaqua, Sebastian LeToux and Freddie Ljungberg in an attack that should cause some problems for opposing defenses in 2009.

Source: http://www.soccerbyives.net/soccer_by_ives/2009/01/sounders-complete-montero-deal.html#more

Oh shit.. this ain't good for our home opener. :(

TFCREDNWHITE
01-23-2009, 05:26 PM
Our Home opener atmosphere should make seattle SHIT there pants!!!

rocker
01-23-2009, 05:27 PM
who knows how this guy will do in MLS. Every time some south american comes along people need to wait and see how he does.. some south americans succeed, some flame out and are gone in a season or less.

What Seattle needs to work on is getting a complete roster and developing chemistry. I don't think that will happen before the TFC game.

Stryker
01-23-2009, 05:29 PM
Lets hope so.
On a side note, Seattle has now gotten three big name overseas players in Keller, Montero and Ljungberg to play for an expansion team with turf.
So what are we doing wrong? :noidea:

SLBuu
01-23-2009, 05:42 PM
^ We're not in the U.S.

Stryker
01-23-2009, 05:44 PM
^ We're not in the U.S.
I'd buy that arguement for LA, New York, Miami and possibley Chi-town but not Seattle.

Jack
01-23-2009, 05:46 PM
I'd buy that arguement for LA, New York, Miami and possibley Chi-town but not Seattle.
Seattle is a great city.

ensco
01-23-2009, 05:48 PM

Seattle is a beautiful city with more going on than Toronto has. Mountains and ocean, music, microsoft.....and it's in the US.

(btw Toronto's been getting all this press for being sports Loserville, but Seattle is even worse - Mariners and Seahawks were awful this year, UW football team lost 7 straight games by 50 points or more, and the Sonics....left town)

If Vancouver comes into MLS and has the dough to compete, they are going to give TFC fits in terms of bringing in new players

Now how Schellotto wound up in Columbus, that would be worth understanding....

Rudi
01-23-2009, 05:48 PM
Keller: from Seattle
Montero: probably getting a big raise in MLS
Ljungberg: Huge paycheck for a broken down former star

shaggingscot
01-23-2009, 06:12 PM
Funny but I thought we got a big name player ourselves in DeRo.....

jloome
01-23-2009, 06:27 PM
Bigger than Montero. two good scoring seasons in Colombia does not a star make. He might be good, and his strike rate certainly suggests it. But South American players always look good against the defense in some of those leagues.

jloome
01-23-2009, 06:33 PM
Watching the highlight package, he looks like a very, very solid finisher. Simple, straightforward and dangerous.

Eek. Wonder if we even tried....

Jack
01-23-2009, 06:38 PM
Watching the highlight package, he looks like a very, very solid finisher. Simple, straightforward and dangerous.

Who knows?

Anyway, no point in getting worked up about it now.

Hindsight being 20/20 and all.

ensco
01-23-2009, 06:39 PM

Yes. He's a punt, but he looks like the perfect signing.

Cashcleaner
01-23-2009, 06:45 PM
Lets hope so.
On a side note, Seattle has now gotten three big name overseas players in Keller, Montero and Ljungberg to play for an expansion team with turf.
So what are we doing wrong? :noidea:

Not putting an effort in.

gtaguy
01-23-2009, 07:58 PM
Seattle has come in with a strong team.
Probably one of the best lineups i have seen in an expansion team.
Im quite certain that if you have a good midfield these guys are not going to dissappoint..
lundberg is that midfield player and montero being that striker they should complement each other..
I have seen montero play in colombia and i think this kid is the real thing.
I am excited at the fact that he is a part of this league becuase he will only raise the level of play of the players around him. i am so hyped to see this seattle team play..
They are in the same league as us when it comes to supporters and real fans..
the first game they have against the shitebulls will be a true testament to which colombian player and team is going to excel out of the two in the mls for 2009..
Montero is versatile player. His conditioning is excellent and it should be a joy to watch this kid do his thing on the field.

On the TFC note.. were not a weak team anymore.. I think TFC has solid footing now and we should be a damn good squad for 2009... I like the fact that we have player vying for the same job .. this should make our spring training a very interesting fight for starter positions ...

rocker
01-23-2009, 08:10 PM
i think Seattle should be more worried about De Ro in our home opener than we should be worried about this guy.

i saw De Ro at the all star game and he was a man possessed. I imagine he'll be pretty focused at the home opener :)

Beach_Red
01-23-2009, 08:12 PM
Not putting an effort in.

Maybe, maybe not.

Seattle isn't a new team, really, they've been around for years. I don't know, but hasn't their front office been in place for years? Maybe even a few scouts? What's new for them is they have more money, but they aren't starting from scratch.

gtaguy
01-23-2009, 09:11 PM
Maybe, maybe not.

Seattle isn't a new team, really, they've been around for years. I don't know, but hasn't their front office been in place for years? Maybe even a few scouts? What's new for them is they have more money, but they aren't starting from scratch.

you are so right.. but this does not minimize the fact that the have come out from the start with a winning team..

UltraSuperMegaMo
01-23-2009, 10:26 PM
How does an MLS expansion team go up against a La Liga team for a player, a young player at that, and win?

Jack
01-23-2009, 10:36 PM
How does an MLS expansion team go up against a La Liga team for a player, a young player at that, and win?
Apparently, in October, a group of American businessmen bought 65% of his contract and they wanted to put him in the MLS.

That's why he went to Seattle instead of Spain. For now.

Betis "showed interest" but I'm not sure how much further than that it went.

This is from reading a couple of Spanish-language articles.

He also has said his dream is to play in Europe.

Remember Tevez played for a while with Corinthians when so many clubs in Europe were after him. This could be something like that, but on a much smaller scale.

Cashcleaner
01-25-2009, 05:36 AM

That's the problem, it's really not that hard! You front the cash, show them your facilities, staff, and players, and try to work out a deal.

The whole issue reminds me of my previous employers. Whenever they were dealing with customers and the public, they always made the whole concept of production and development out to be some long-drawn out and expensive process. It never was nearly as bad as they kept claiming it was, but everyone kept buying the line and never complained.

Given Toronto FC's financial successes through ticket sales, merchandise, and revenue-generating functions, as well as the monetary assets of its parent company (MLSE) which is estimated at around $2 billion USD, I simply don't buy the line that we're actively looking for top-quality but are just hitting snags when it comes to signing anyone of substance.

StandUpIfYouHateChelsea
01-25-2009, 09:46 AM
Our Home opener atmosphere should make seattle SHIT there pants!!!

LOL um you might be still dreaming but we dont have anything on south american atmosphere......... Fredy might be surprised , but i doubt shocked.....i mean we would have to have a huge streamer tifo and thousands of people with flares !! then we would make some ppl shit there pants , but hey ......... that aint gunna happen.....

Pachuco
01-25-2009, 10:31 AM
Bigger than Montero. two good scoring seasons in Colombia does not a star make. He might be good, and his strike rate certainly suggests it. But South American players always look good against the defense in some of those leagues.

Dude, by all accounts (I have a ton of Colombian buddies) this kid is the next big thing in Colombia. And let me tell you, Colombia right now is on it's way up again in South American futbol. Whether he succeeds is another thing, we could sign Henry and he could fuck the dog as well. But there's no arguing Seattle is doing the right things.

rocker
01-25-2009, 10:52 AM
LOL um you might be still dreaming but we dont have anything on south american atmosphere......... Fredy might be surprised , but i doubt shocked.....i mean we would have to have a huge streamer tifo and thousands of people with flares !! then we would make some ppl shit there pants , but hey ......... that aint gunna happen.....

the field turf will make Freddy Ljundberg's legs shit their pants!! ;)

rocker
01-25-2009, 10:53 AM
but this does not minimize the fact that the have come out from the start with a winning team..

what do you mean? Maybe I'm reading this wrong but Seattle hasn't played any games yet.

Steve
01-25-2009, 10:57 AM
you are so right.. but this does not minimize the fact that the have come out from the start with a winning team..

Haha, what? Damn, did I miss the 2009 season already?

Beach_Red
01-25-2009, 11:29 AM
Apparently, in October, a group of American businessmen bought 65% of his contract and they wanted to put him in the MLS.

That's why he went to Seattle instead of Spain. For now.

Is this true? 65% of his contract? Is that just a way around the cap?

J .
01-25-2009, 01:57 PM
We are looking at our own player from south american that those who need to have ethnicity dictate where Mo should get someone from.

Seattle has a soccer history, new in MLS, but not in North American soccer and it shows there is talent to be had and brought to MLS. Which some days seems to stand for Missing Legitimate Skills.

MLS will become a league where new kids come to break in, show they have the physical ability to play and develop skills before heading to Europe, while older talents will come from Europe to become the focal point of their team instead of languishing on a bench.

This is the future of MLS and likely will remain that way. Which is fine, we get to see the young stars develop and will get to see the old guard finish their careers. Not too bad for a league that started up barely a decade ago.

NF-FC
01-25-2009, 02:23 PM
Seattle has come in with a strong team.
Probably one of the best lineups i have seen in an expansion team.
Im quite certain that if you have a good midfield these guys are not going to dissappoint..
lundberg is that midfield player and montero being that striker they should complement each other..
I have seen montero play in colombia and i think this kid is the real thing.
I am excited at the fact that he is a part of this league becuase he will only raise the level of play of the players around him. i am so hyped to see this seattle team play..
They are in the same league as us when it comes to supporters and real fans..
the first game they have against the shitebulls will be a true testament to which colombian player and team is going to excel out of the two in the mls for 2009..
Montero is versatile player. His conditioning is excellent and it should be a joy to watch this kid do his thing on the field.

On the TFC note.. were not a weak team anymore.. I think TFC has solid footing now and we should be a damn good squad for 2009... I like the fact that we have player vying for the same job .. this should make our spring training a very interesting fight for starter positions ...

is that why they've only sold 30% of their supporters section with less than 2 months to go before the season starts? This is not the sons of ben we're talking about, the emerald city supporters are not a very large group.

UltraSuperMegaMo
01-25-2009, 02:27 PM
We are looking at our own player from south american that those who need to have ethnicity dictate where Mo should get someone from.

Seattle has a soccer history, new in MLS, but not in North American soccer and it shows there is talent to be had and brought to MLS. Which some days seems to stand for Missing Legitimate Skills.

MLS will become a league where new kids come to break in, show they have the physical ability to play and develop skills before heading to Europe, while older talents will come from Europe to become the focal point of their team instead of languishing on a bench.

This is the future of MLS and likely will remain that way. Which is fine, we get to see the young stars develop and will get to see the old guard finish their careers. Not too bad for a league that started up barely a decade ago.

Is it really a case of ethnicity? Brazilian, Argentinian, and Columbian are nationalities not ethnicities. People just want Mo to look in South America as there’s a perception that good young talent can be readily found there. I agree 100% that the league will continue to improve if young talent (regardless of nationality) perceive the MLS as a place to launch their careers.

Jack
01-25-2009, 03:33 PM
Is this true? 65% of his contract? Is that just a way around the cap?
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/93435-fredy-montero-entre-la-mls-y-el-betis-de-espaa

There's the article. It says a "group of American businessmen" bought 65% of his contract from Deportivo Cali.

jazz_trumpet
01-25-2009, 03:54 PM
Wikipedia says he's simply on loan to Seattle.

Beach_Red
01-25-2009, 04:09 PM
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/93435-fredy-montero-entre-la-mls-y-el-betis-de-espaa

There's the article. It says a "group of American businessmen" bought 65% of his contract from Deportivo Cali.

Wow. It doesn't say how much they paid or for how long the contract runs. Does this kind of thing happen very often?

LucaGol
01-25-2009, 04:10 PM
Where is Seattle finding the money to sign these players?

Edit: Apparently he's on loan?

Jack
01-25-2009, 05:11 PM
Wow. It doesn't say how much they paid or for how long the contract runs. Does this kind of thing happen very often?
Well, look at the Carlos Tevez situation, for one. I guess it happens...selling the contract to a company instead of to another team.

dclaro
01-26-2009, 11:05 AM
Well, look at the Carlos Tevez situation, for one. I guess it happens...selling the contract to a company instead of to another team.

doesn't fifa, uefa or who ever, not want clubs to deal with third parties?

SLBuu
01-27-2009, 02:04 PM
i hear it happens a lot in South America as the teams dont have a lot of money therefore companies/agencies take on the players rights.

I have heard it happening a lot with argentinian players.

gtaguy
01-27-2009, 03:02 PM
This has been around in latin america for a long time however it has gathered alot of steam within the last two years .
I heard of a town in brazil where the town has pooled all thier resources together to buy the rights to players that have a very good chance to make it in other leagues. These players getted shopped around until there is an interested party.
The positives of this is that a young player gets money to continue doing what he loves (playing soccer) and encourages them to focus and continue bettering thier skills, competitiveness etc etc:
The shareholders will recieve a cut of the sales or loan money based on thier investments..

Beach_Red
01-27-2009, 03:03 PM
I'm just wondering is some businessmen are paying him, is that why he can sign with the team for less - is it a way of getting around the cap?

jwfm1985
01-27-2009, 03:17 PM
I'm just wondering is some businessmen are paying him, is that why he can sign with the team for less - is it a way of getting around the cap?

Not 100% positive, but I dont think it is a way around the cap. Think of it as people investing in a stock, but that stock being a player. They invested money into this kid and in return get a % of his future earnings. I would guess the league has some restrictions about owners owning players contracts... but could be wrong

Beach_Red
01-27-2009, 03:21 PM
Yeah, I can see it as investing in a stock - and even the idea of increasing its value by having him play in the USA, as a stepping stone to Europe and even to get some endorsements and stuff in the USA now or later when/if he comes back.

So, the salary he gets from Seattle isn't really the profits they're looking for, it's not the final sale of the stock, it's more investment (if I didn't screw up the metaphor).

supernothingman
01-27-2009, 03:31 PM
Nice, we're playing grab-ass with Vitti and they sign Montero.

Lucky for MLSE, I'm used to getting fucked over by them.

supernothingman
01-27-2009, 03:34 PM
i hear it happens a lot in South America as the teams dont have a lot of money therefore companies/agencies take on the players rights.

I have heard it happening a lot with argentinian players.

Carlos Alberto, Tevez and Mascherano come to mind.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Media_Sports_Investments

supernothingman
01-27-2009, 03:42 PM
The precise details won't be known until all the paperwork and documentation is done, but Colombian attacker Fredy Montero has signed an MLS contract to play for Seattle Sounders FC.

Montero, 21, has been negotiating a move for the past few months and according to a team source, has been acquired on loan, presumably from Deporivo Cali, which had previously loaned him out to a Colombian lower-division club, Atlético Huila.

He joined the Sounders for the start of preseason training Wednesday and will be eligible to play competitive matches upon receipt of his international transfer certificate and P-1 work visa. He and his agent conducted discussions with other clubs, including Real Betis of Spain, amid unconfirmed reports at least a portion of his rights are controlled by outside parties, which contravenes FIFA statutes.

He debuted for Colombia against Panama in 2007 and on Oct. 11 played 55 minutes as a starter for Colombia in a 1-0 home loss to Paraguay in CONMEBOL World Cup qualifying. Colombia is seventh among the 10 South American nations with a 2-3-5 (W-L-T) record (11 points).

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/soccer/01/23/sounders.montero/

Beach_Red
01-27-2009, 04:34 PM
He joined the Sounders for the start of preseason training Wednesday and will be eligible to play competitive matches upon receipt of his international transfer certificate and P-1 work visa. He and his agent conducted discussions with other clubs, including Real Betis of Spain, amid unconfirmed reports at least a portion of his rights are controlled by outside parties, which contravenes FIFA statutes.

It's kind of tough to blame this on MLSE, the whole thing sounds orchestrated by his agents and "investors." I'm just surprised he's not going to LA.