PDA

View Full Version : Eathquakes have released Ronnie O'Brien

jloome
01-23-2009, 12:40 PM
He suggests he would've stayed despite a pay cut but the number was too low.

http://www.mercurynews.com/othersports/ci_11533345

Lucky Strike
01-23-2009, 12:41 PM
I wonder where he goes from here?

ensco
01-23-2009, 12:42 PM
If he'd take 200K, I'd take him over Ricketts

Stryker
01-23-2009, 12:43 PM
I guess the dude from Big Soccer who talked to him in a bar was giving us the straight dope.
Funny how stuff like that happens sometimes.

Pigfynn
01-23-2009, 12:44 PM
^^ya, except he hates our field.

twistedchinaman
01-23-2009, 12:44 PM
LOL -- he can totally suck our collective left one. :D

romburgundy
01-23-2009, 12:45 PM
^^ya, except he hates our field.

but he does like employment

Pigfynn
01-23-2009, 12:47 PM
but he does like employment

Oh, someone will employ him for sure.

H Bomb
01-23-2009, 12:47 PM
that's crazy....and damn good player for them, and us the year before. Maybe he has a bad attitude, i dunno but it seems strange such a valuable player is so expendable.

ensco
01-23-2009, 12:49 PM
OK the tally is now in on that trade - Mo hosed down the Quakes pretty thoroughly on that one

Lucky Strike
01-23-2009, 12:51 PM
OK the tally is now in on that trade - Mo hosed down the Quakes pretty thoroughly on that one

Yup, completely.

Mo says: "I'll release Ronnie O'Brien from our roster in exchange for your first round pick in 2009 and 150K allocation."

SJ says: "Wow! What a deal!"

:D

Parkdale
01-23-2009, 12:53 PM
I doubt he's reading this.... but good luck to you Ronnie.

I always like the guy, on and off the field. Hopefully he can go play somewhere grassy.

reggie
01-23-2009, 12:53 PM
i think it was to warm for him in SJ and the grass was to hard on his knees!!!

Nuvinho
01-23-2009, 12:58 PM
NYRB maybe?? to replace DVB.

Pigfynn
01-23-2009, 01:00 PM
NYRB maybe?? to replace DVB.

To go play on carpet? If BMO was too much for him Giants Stadium will kill him.

mighty_torontofc_2008
01-23-2009, 01:03 PM
Even if we had grass layed tomorrow i would not take him back to TFC.....overrated,overpriced...out of work...priceless.

SLBuu
01-23-2009, 01:04 PM
maybe he'll go to seattle and make it 3 expansion teams in 3 years. lol

Parkdale
01-23-2009, 01:08 PM
Even if we had grass layed tomorrow i would not take him back to TFC.....overrated,overpriced...out of work...priceless.

priceless is usually used to describe something positive, like a piece of art.
I believe the word you're looking for is worthless

Stryker
01-23-2009, 01:09 PM
maybe he'll go to seattle and make it 3 expansion teams in 3 years. lol
LOL, that would be comical.

TFC OZZ
01-23-2009, 01:20 PM
For $200,000, I would consider taking him back over Ricketts. Great player, I would love to see him back at TFC for a year.

TFC Tifoso
01-23-2009, 01:27 PM
For $200,000, I would consider taking him back over Ricketts. Great player, I would love to see him back at TFC for a year.

Why? He wanted out, pissed on the team, pissed on the city and you'd take him back? NEE's "Benedict Arnold" two stick summed him up perfectly.

For that I fucking love Ricketts....he is the anti-O'Brien.....LOVES everything T.O. and gives his all in the game.

jloome
01-23-2009, 01:36 PM
It's a quandry; he's an excellent player in this league but he's moved so much that there's obviously no love lost with management at the various clubs. Maybe he'll go back overseas. He hasn't played there in years.

Yohan
01-23-2009, 01:37 PM
For that I fucking love Ricketts....he is the anti-O'Brien.....LOVES everything T.O. and gives his all in the game.
wha? I dont think I've seen ROB be slack and idle during games he did play.

sure he wanted out of TO but I don't think he was any less professional when the game was on

Yohan
01-23-2009, 01:38 PM
It's a quandry; he's an excellent player in this league but he's moved so much that there's obviously no love lost with management at the various clubs. Maybe he'll go back overseas. He hasn't played there in years.
now i may be talking out of his ass, but I thought the reason why he stayed in MLS for so long was because of his Yank wifey...

jabbronies
01-23-2009, 01:45 PM

you won't be saying that when Ricketts gives us the 'ol one finger salut and heads on out of here.

TFC Tifoso
01-23-2009, 01:59 PM
wha? I dont think I've seen ROB be slack and idle during games he did play.

sure he wanted out of TO but I don't think he was any less professional when the game was on

No he didn't slack off, but not wanting to play in the city has to factor into the in-game performance somehow I think (worrying about the turf for example)

you won't be saying that when Ricketts gives us the 'ol one finger salut and heads on out of here.

If he does leave I don't think it will be with the same bitterness that Ronnie left with.....Rohan is class IMO.

TFC OZZ
01-23-2009, 02:57 PM
I don't really feel like Ronnie left with all that much bitterness... Sure, right when the trade happened I was furious, but in the long term it was the right decision. Mo had an incredible opportunity for allocation and the 2nd overall pick for an oft injured player. Ya, he said he didn't like the field-turf, but I always thought he loved the fans and Toronto.

I always thought he was class, and given the opportunity I would definitely consider getting him back.

jabbronies
01-23-2009, 03:00 PM
If he does leave I don't think it will be with the same bitterness that Ronnie left with.....Rohan is class IMO.

I don't remember bitterness from Ronnie..there was tons from us though.

TFC Tifoso
01-23-2009, 03:03 PM
I don't remember bitterness from Ronnie..there was tons from us though.

I remember things coming out following the trade about him not liking the city which led to his request to leave.

shwade
01-23-2009, 03:25 PM
I don't really feel like Ronnie left with all that much bitterness... Sure, right when the trade happened I was furious, but in the long term it was the right decision. Mo had an incredible opportunity for allocation and the 2nd overall pick for an oft injured player. Ya, he said he didn't like the field-turf, but I always thought he loved the fans and Toronto.

I always thought he was class, and given the opportunity I would definitely consider getting him back.

He said himself in an interview that he didn't care much for the city.

Lucky Strike
01-23-2009, 03:31 PM

That's what I remember too.

TFC Tifoso
01-23-2009, 03:37 PM
Thanks.....having pride in the shirt you wear also means being proud of the city you play in.....Ronnie O obviously did not have that....Rohan does.

Hitcho
01-23-2009, 03:45 PM
Bottom line is, our best moments in season 1 usually came when ROB was in the side and playing. He was huge for SJ last season and would probably be a major asset for us this year now that we have a much better line up.

Would I trade him for RR? Tough one. RR is younger and hasn;t had a big fallign out with management here (would ROB play here even though Mo is no longer coach, despite the plastic pitch? hard to say). But I think ROB would be better for us.

Either way, moot point because it aint gonna happen! :D

jloome
01-23-2009, 05:00 PM

Well, I've looked for awhile and can't find any such reference. Got a link? I specifically remember him praising the fans and city but not the turf.

John refers to "media reports" that he didn't like the city in this piece, but there was never an actual quote from O'Brien to support it, that I can find. In other words, it was probably a rumour. He praises the city in this piece and says he would've stayed if we'd had a grass practice field.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/story/2008/07/20/obrien-back.html

mighty_torontofc_2008
01-23-2009, 05:13 PM
priceless is usually used to describe something positive, like a piece of art.
I believe the word you're looking for is worthless

it was a play on the mastercard ads....but the positive angle is he is no
Longer here!!:D

dantdot
01-23-2009, 05:38 PM
Well, I've looked for awhile and can't find any such reference. Got a link? I specifically remember him praising the fans and city but not the turf.

John refers to "media reports" that he didn't like the city in this piece, but there was never an actual quote from O'Brien to support it, that I can find. In other words, it was probably a rumour. He praises the city in this piece and says he would've stayed if we'd had a grass practice field.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/story/2008/07/20/obrien-back.html

This took me a while to find but I remembered something on Morgan Campbell's blog. http://thestar.blogs.com/starsportsblog/2008/02/obriens-home-si.html

The conversation turned to the city of Toronto, which I figured would be a major improvement on his former hometown, Dallas.
Not so. Not so at all. O'Brien was not at all impressed with the city. At one point, O'Brien asked me in seriousness, "Why do people here think Toronto is so great?"
He didn't like much about the city - the traffic, the fieldturf, his new home. Strangely for a young man from the small Irish town of Bray, O'Brien fondly recalled the sprawl of Dallas.

ensco
01-23-2009, 05:56 PM
This took me a while to find but I remembered something on Morgan Campbell's blog. http://thestar.blogs.com/starsportsblog/2008/02/obriens-home-si.html

That's not really slagging the city. Sounds like it's mostly genuine homesickness for Dallas. Also a comment on real estate prices here - face it, most of the guys are forced to live far from BMO. Marshall lives in Milton, for instance.

ROB lived in Pickering. He'd have been better off living in the western suburbs and reverse commuting. The commute from Pickering to the Exhibition is brutal - could easily take 1.5 hours each way if you go in rush hour.

You'd hate any city you moved to that you had a 1 to 1.5 hour commute to and from work every day.

Lucky Strike
01-23-2009, 06:04 PM
That's not really slagging the city. Sounds like it's mostly genuine homesickness for Dallas. Also a comment on real estate prices here - face it, most of the guys are forced to live far from BMO. Marshall lives in Milton, for instance.

ROB lived in Pickering. He'd have been better off living in the western suburbs and reverse commuting. The commute from Pickering to the Exhibition is brutal - could easily take 1.5 hours each way if you go in rush hour.

You'd hate any city you moved to that you had a 1 to 1.5 hour commute to and from work every day.

That's his own fault though isn't it?

ensco
01-23-2009, 06:17 PM
That's his own fault though isn't it?

Yes.

But it says nothing to me about whether he would want to come back, or I should want him back.

All I know is, we have never looked as good as we did in May and June 2007. Never.

Ossington Mental Youth
01-23-2009, 06:31 PM
No way would i take him back, injury prone, expensive and sour attitude.
Dont forget hes been with 3 teams in 3 years guys.

ensco
01-23-2009, 06:36 PM
No way would i take him back, injury prone, expensive and sour attitude.
Dont forget hes been with 3 teams in 3 years guys.

He is injury prone. I think you're wrong about the rest though. Especially the attitude.

Marco2K
01-23-2009, 06:45 PM
Funny how some of you are crazy enough to say you would rather have RRicketts. Are you kidding me.

Obrien surroned by this core would be great