PDA

View Full Version : Onward! -- The Rohan Ricketts thing

Ben Knight
01-23-2009, 12:14 PM
In any other top-flight soccer league, anywhere else on the planet, we would not be having this conversation. But in MLS, with its 20-man roster limit and suffocating $2.4-million (U.S.) salary cap, someone has to be the odd man out.

http://onwardsoccer.com/2009/01/23/the-rohan-ricketts-thing/

ensco
01-23-2009, 12:24 PM
Yup.

rocker
01-23-2009, 12:26 PM
hey ben, good article but I'm not sure about your roster counting.

I count 17 guys who must be on the senior roster. That includes Ricketts.
So we have 3 spots available.

I haven't assumed that any of the kids will be graduated to the senior roster.

If they were to trade one of the kiddie keepers and one of the defenders (Velez or Marshall) then you have the room to keep Ricketts. Anyhow, I don't think any one player "breaks the bank" so to speak. Robbo received the same criticism in the past, but I always noted that Robbo himself doesn't keep us from signing others. There are so many creative ways around such issues.

Pigfynn
01-23-2009, 12:36 PM
IMO, Ricketts is exactly the type of player that the Houston's and New England's always seem to have and they always seem to do very well.

This is why we can't be cutting these types of players loose. If anything get rid of Marshall or Velez as well as Edwards and keep Ricketts and get the CB. After that I think we'll be ok.

Lucky Strike
01-23-2009, 12:40 PM
Maybe I'm not getting the memos but...I always thought the roster limit was 24 for this year and 28 previously (18 senior and 10 developmental). Did I really miss something crucial?

Nuvinho
01-23-2009, 12:57 PM
hmmmm.........yeah........Roselund and Gala as senior roster players?? I think not.

The 4 developmental roster players will be Frei, Gala, Rosenlund, and Hall.

Senior roster: Sutton, Edwards, Wynne, Nana, Velez, Marshall, Dunivant, Brennan, Harmse, Robbo, Cronin, Ricketts, DeRo, Guevara, Dichio, Barrett, Ibbe, White, Smith

That's 19...no??

Beach_Red
01-23-2009, 12:59 PM
In any other top-flight soccer league, anywhere else on the planet, we would not be having this conversation. But in MLS, with its 20-man roster limit and suffocating $2.4-million (U.S.) salary cap, someone has to be the odd man out.

http://onwardsoccer.com/2009/01/23/the-rohan-ricketts-thing/

Let's hope that MLS is going about increasing the popularity of soccer in NA the right way. It's a gamble, for sure. I can see why a salary cap and small roster is required to get investors to take a risk, but it can't really go on like this much longer can it? Standing still is losing ground, isn't it?

Ben Knight
01-23-2009, 01:09 PM
Man, these rules are complicated!!

All I'm trying to do is start the conversation, guys! One of the toughest things about MLS is staying on top of the rules.

Jack
01-23-2009, 01:20 PM
Ben...you forgot to mention the part where Rohan asked to be moved to NYC.

Rudi
01-23-2009, 01:21 PM
Ben...you forgot to mention the part where Rohan asked to be moved to NYC.
????

Jack
01-23-2009, 01:22 PM
????
;)

Ask me about it next time I see you.

Rudi
01-23-2009, 01:25 PM
;)

Like I'm going to remember by then. :p

Just tell me now!

Stencils
01-23-2009, 01:26 PM
I have to agree that we've got a lot of midfield depth right now, but midfield is also where we have a lot of our internationally fielded players (DeRo, Guevara, Robo). We need to have players like Ricketts and Cronin around so that when those players get called out we still have a midfield that carries a bit of depth and veteran leadership.

And for my own personal feeling, I really hope we keep a hold of RR because of how hard he's worked on and off the field. I think with DeRo helping to open up the opposing teams, we'll see Ricketts really show what he can do this year. Besides, it's not him, it's his shoes.

Lucky Strike
01-23-2009, 01:27 PM
Maybe I'm not getting the memos but...I always thought the roster limit was 24 for this year and 28 previously (18 senior and 10 developmental). Did I really miss something crucial?

I looked at it and at season's end in 2008, we carried 26 players.

TFC OZZ
01-23-2009, 01:27 PM
;)

Why don't you post your response on the thread, so we can all understand that statement??? :noidea:

I remember all of the rumors about him going to RBNY, but I don't recall ever hearing that he said that he wanted a trade....

Jack
01-23-2009, 01:30 PM
Why don't you post your response on the thread, so we can all understand that statement??? :noidea:

I remember all of the rumors about him going to RBNY, but I don't recall ever hearing that he said that he wanted a trade....
No can do, sorry. :o

Broadview
01-23-2009, 01:40 PM
Isn't Ibbe GA, meaning he doesn't take up a roster spot or cap space?

Yohan
01-23-2009, 01:41 PM
No can do, sorry. :o
nobody likes a tease, sayid rais (i think that's mr president in arabic. i just wanted to say that once) lol

Jack
01-23-2009, 01:44 PM
nobody likes a tease, sayid rais (i think that's mr president in arabic. i just wanted to say that once) lol
I know.

Basically, read what I said.... :D

I heard an interesting story from an interesting source about RR's desired playing destination and it wasn't Toronto. That's about all the explanation there is. It's a rumour...let's see if it's true or not.

I, for one, would not be surprised.

Nuvinho
01-23-2009, 01:45 PM
Isn't Ibbe GA, meaning he doesn't take up a roster spot or cap space?

I checked the website (Toronto FC), and is no longer considered a GA.

Beach_Red
01-23-2009, 02:17 PM
I heard an interesting story from an interesting source about RR's desired playing destination and it wasn't Toronto. That's about all the explanation there is. It's a rumour...let's see if it's true or not.

Was this playing destination mentioned before or after actually joining TFC and playing a game in New Jersey and realizing that no one there gives a shit?

Or was this even after realizing the situation in North America?

Jack
01-23-2009, 02:24 PM
Was this playing destination mentioned before or after actually joining TFC and playing a game in New Jersey and realizing that no one there gives a shit?

Or was this even after realizing the situation in North America?

This was during the current off-season.

Beach_Red
01-23-2009, 02:27 PM
This was during the current off-season.

Wow, I always figured any soccer player who actually WANTED to pay in NY hated any kind of publicity and like living in obscurity - there are some who really like that, but this guy didn't seem like it. Oh well.

ensco
01-23-2009, 02:45 PM
Wow, I always figured any soccer player who actually WANTED to pay in NY hated any kind of publicity and like living in obscurity - there are some who really like that, but this guy didn't seem like it. Oh well.

I think you may not have considered all the elements. You take a room full of single, 25 year old, fun-loving guys from London, and I guarantee you 97% would rather live in New York than Toronto. I'm not slagging Toronto.

S_D
01-23-2009, 02:48 PM

You are correct

http://www.3rddegree.net/2008/11/mls-rules-changes-for-2009/

The Reserve League is gone and the senior roster can be increased. MLS teams can now have a senior roster of eighteen (18) to twenty (20) as long as it’s inside the cap. MLS teams can now have four (4) players outside the cap on the developmental roster, including Generation adidas.
Team with more than four (4) Ga’s can keep all of them, a category into which FCD will fall. Even if Blake Wagner is graduated FCD will still have 5. The Roster Dance (http://www.3rddegree.net/roster-dance/) has been edited to reflect the changes as we interpret them.

As for the MLS site, it truly sucks. It still has the old roster rules listed under it's rules of soccer.

I would assume that Ibee is no longer GA as it looks like the TFC roster page has finally been updated. There are a total of 24 players there so effectively we have the full roster. Grella is listed there, but I assume he is unsigned as he is off playing with Leeds, so we are really at 23.
Not sure what UDF means, but Ruiz is gone from the list, they have added the latest draftees and Nana and Gabe are now listed as Seniors :canada:

21 Senior players listed, so one has to go if it is truly accurate. I guess anyone can be moved back to the dev squad.

With a CB and forward hopefully to be signed, that means 2 players have to get the chop, and as mentioned above one move back to the dev squad or released/traded. My bet is Edwards and Velez go for sure, the other TBD. I think Velez screwed himelf with that red card incident with Esky while he was wearing the Captain's armband.

Beach_Red
01-23-2009, 02:51 PM
I think you may not have considered all the elements. You take a room full of single, 25 year old, fun-loving guys from London, and I guarantee you 97% would rather live in New York than Toronto. I'm not slagging Toronto.

yeah, before they get here.

Though, come to think of it, sometimes I'd rather live in New York.

Yohan
01-23-2009, 02:54 PM
You are correct

http://www.3rddegree.net/2008/11/mls-rules-changes-for-2009/

The Reserve League is gone and the senior roster can be increased. MLS teams can now have a senior roster of eighteen (18) to twenty (20) as long as it’s inside the cap. MLS teams can now have four (4) players outside the cap on the developmental roster, including Generation adidas.
Team with more than four (4) Ga’s can keep all of them, a category into which FCD will fall. Even if Blake Wagner is graduated FCD will still have 5. The Roster Dance (http://www.3rddegree.net/roster-dance/) has been edited to reflect the changes as we interpret them.

As for the MLS site, it truly sucks. It still has the old roster rules listed under it's rules of soccer.

I would assume that Ibee is no longer GA as it looks like the TFC roster page has finally been updated. There are a total of 24 players there so effectively we have the full roster. Grella is listed there, but I assume he is unsigned as he is off playing with Leeds, so we are really at 23.
Not sure what UDF means, but Ruiz is gone from the list, they have added the latest draftees and Nana and Gabe are now listed as Seniors :canada:

21 Senior players listed, so one has to go if it is truly accurate. I guess anyone can be moved back to the dev squad.

With a CB and forward hopefully to be signed, that means 2 players have to get the chop, and as mentioned above one move back to the dev squad or released/traded. My bet is Edwards and Velez go for sure, the other TBD. I think Velez screwed himelf with that red card incident with Esky while he was wearing the Captain's armband.
god. my mind just blew. stupid rules

denime
01-23-2009, 02:57 PM
Get rid of Marshal,1 senior spot free and DeRo can have his #14 :)

H Bomb
01-23-2009, 03:00 PM
yeah, before they get here.

Though, come to think of it, sometimes I'd rather live in New York.

Gimme 200,000 and I'd love to live a few years in New York. I love the shit out of Toronto but the World is awesome, and New York is one if it's more awesome places, especially for English speaking folks. I hope it doesn't happen, but I totally understand the draw of New York

Nuvinho
01-23-2009, 03:04 PM
UDF - unsigned draft pick

Luanda
01-23-2009, 03:17 PM
hmmmm.........yeah........Roselund and Gala as senior roster players?? I think not.

The 4 developmental roster players will be Frei, Gala, Rosenlund, and Hall.

Senior roster: Sutton, Edwards, Wynne, Nana, Velez, Marshall, Dunivant, Brennan, Harmse, Robbo, Cronin, Ricketts, DeRo, Guevara, Dichio, Barrett, Ibbe, White, Smith

That's 19...no??

No this can not be right. What about O'Brien White? Also note that the TFC website says that Hall is still "unsigned".

Nuvinho
01-23-2009, 03:20 PM
Hall will sign, Grella probably will be playing for Leeds.

and I did include White in the senior roster.

Luanda
01-23-2009, 03:22 PM
Hall will sign, Grella probably will be playing for Leeds.

and I did include White in the senior roster.

Sorry, missed that one.

CretanBull
01-23-2009, 03:29 PM
I think Ricketts has a skill set and plays a role on our team that other players don''t & can't. He's a natural winger with speed & skill and he uses the to strech defenses. I think that we'll be a better team moving forward this season and I think Rohan's role will become that much more valuable.

I think that if a player needs to be cut for pay-roll reasons its going to be Guevara, De Ro does the same things but better. Both guys can't have the ball at their feet and that's when both guys are at their best. Guevara was our best set-piece player last year, but De Ro will be our best this season.

Hitcho
01-23-2009, 03:30 PM
i won;t cry if we lose Ricketts. he has promise but it's so often unfulfilled. there are those who say this season he will shine more consistently because he'll have a full rpe season and know the team better. that may be true, but it's a big gamble to take given his salary and the fact his contract is almost done. My only issue would be to get something worthwhile for him. I'd take an established CB from elsewhere in MLS, but who's gonna make that trade? not many candidates.

Yohan
01-23-2009, 03:31 PM
without ricketts occupying so much of opposition attention, wynne wouldnt have had much space to run on right flank.

Hitcho
01-23-2009, 03:33 PM
I think Ricketts has a skill set and plays a role on our team that other players don''t & can't. He's a natural winger with speed & skill and he uses the to strech defenses. I think that we'll be a better team moving forward this season and I think Rohan's role will become that much more valuable.

I agree with this, but my worries re salary and contract remain (see my previous post).

It's a tough call to make, because the promise of a 4-2-3-1 with De Ro, Amado and RR behind a front man and with 2 DCMs behind them is quite exciting. but if they don't gel, we're sitting on an expensive lemon who can walk away from MLS at the end of the season for nothing.

Pachuco
01-23-2009, 04:28 PM
"Ricketts could ultimately be better than all three of those guys put together, but it doesn’t change the spreadsheet, and MLS soccer is a spreadsheet game. His ability does give him some trade value, however. Even just getting allocation money in return could help an otherwise-doomed back four"

Ben, I think you forgot two key players that I believe could put Ricketts on the bench if they have good years, that would be Ibbey and Jo Smith, personally, I think that's where his competition is. Because if he doesn't start over these guys, then he certainly wouldn't be worth the money. I'm not saying it's going to happen, just saying that's who I personally feel he's competing with for his role

BTW - I want Ricketts to stay, it's really too bad if he really did ask to be traded to NYC.