PDA

View Full Version : MLS Commissioner and President Visit Ottawa Jan. 26 & 27.

Mark in Ottawa
01-23-2009, 10:12 AM
Here is the updated announcement.
Damn... I can't attend this event... the "town hall" should be interesting.

OTTAWA, ONTARIO--(Marketwire - Jan. 22, 2009) -

A correction from source has been made in the last paragraph of this media advisory. Please note that the hockey club's owner will be available to the media on Wednesday, Jan. 28 2009 and not on Wednesday, Jan. 27, as previously announced. The complete and corrected version follows.

Major League Soccer (MLS) commissioner Don Garber and president Mark Abbott will stop in Ottawa on Monday, Jan. 26, and Tuesday, Jan. 27, as part of their mandate to visit cities bidding for one of two new franchises for the 2011 season.

In addition to attending a variety of meetings, Garber and Abbott will join Senators Sports & Entertainment owner Eugene Melnyk and COO Cyril Leeder for a media availability on Tuesday, Jan. 27, at 12:30 p.m. at Scotiabank Place's Club Red restaurant.

Gerry Dobson, host of Soccercentral on Rogers Sportsnet and Setanta Sports Canada, will serve as MC for the media availability and town hall discussion.

The format will be as follows:

12:30 p.m.: Welcome from Gerry Dobson and introduction of panellists

12:33 p.m.: Eugene Melnyk highlights Ottawa's progress

12:35 p.m.: Don Garber provides update on MLS bid process

12:40 p.m.: Question and answer period for the media

1 p.m.: Lunch is served

1:30 p.m.: Town hall forum with media and soccer community

(i) Media availability with Eugene Melnyk regarding the Ottawa Senators: The hockey club's owner will be available to the media on Wednesday, Jan. 28, at 10:30 a.m. before the team's 11 a.m. practice at the Kanata Recreation Complex. Melnyk will discuss business and fan initiatives that the Senators will undertake over the balance of the 2008-09 season and next year.

For more information, please contact
Dan Courtemanche, MLS, 212-450-1225
Phil Legault, Senators Sports & Entertainment, 613-599-0327

DOMIN8R
01-23-2009, 10:13 AM
Posted yesterday in the News Section.

Good luck Ottawa.

Mark in Ottawa
01-23-2009, 10:17 AM
^ Sorry I missed this yesterday.
I wonder if anyone from TFC is going to attend to show support &/or just keep up with developments regarding expansion plans for Canada?

Lucky Strike
01-23-2009, 10:17 AM
Posted yesterday in the News Section.

Good luck Ottawa.

Indeed.

Beach_Red
01-23-2009, 10:18 AM
Good luck Ottawa.

Yes, good luck Ottawa.

rocker
01-23-2009, 10:24 AM
it would be nice to see some turnout at that town hall. hate to see Garber show up and there's only 1 or 2 soccer geeks in the crowd!

alexintoronto
01-23-2009, 10:25 AM
I thought the title referred to Obama :D

Mark in Ottawa
01-23-2009, 10:28 AM
it would be nice to see some turnout at that town hall. hate to see Garber show up and there's only 1 or 2 soccer geeks in the crowd!
Exactly my point in starting the thread.
I can't get out of work that day or I would be there wearing my TFC jersey and scarf. There are MLS fans out here in the hinterlands but we are spread all over the area and don't often have a reason to get together and show our support for MLS and soccer in general.

Ossington Mental Youth
01-23-2009, 11:07 AM
really dont think anything will come of it but goodluck all the same i guess.
itll be interesting to see what happens

Beach_Red
01-23-2009, 11:09 AM
It's deja vu all over again - I remember well when Ottawa got the NHL team, no one expected they would. I have a feeling the only thing that really matters here is the ownership, so it looks pretty good for Ottawa.