PDA

View Full Version : DeRo turned down TFC in '07

Damien
01-23-2009, 08:30 AM
http://tfcnews.wordpress.com/2009/01/23/dero-turned-down-tfc-in-07/

A source said DeRosario turned down a trade to Toronto two years ago that would have made him a DP at a salary of $500,000 per year.

Shaughno
01-23-2009, 08:32 AM
Big whoop, he won the league that year... I wouldn't have left either.

ensco
01-23-2009, 08:34 AM
Is that is credible website?

Stouffville_RPB
01-23-2009, 08:40 AM
So he had the choice of making just under $400,000 for a championship caliber team or an expansion team in his hometown for $500,000. He made the right move for him. He was looking out for #1 and nobody can blame him for that.

onemanbarmyarmy
01-23-2009, 08:47 AM
If he turned down the trade pre-season start then who could blame him? No body (but those of us who were supporters from the beginning) could have imagined the response the team would get in this city.

SQUIRREL
01-23-2009, 08:50 AM
He signed with us now, that's all that matters. We will see him in Red, White and (Black????)..lol..for us soon. Don't dwell in the past, be greatful for what we got now. DERO, DERO, DERO

Ossington Mental Youth
01-23-2009, 09:23 AM
I dont blame him, itd been amazing to have him tho

Ossington Mental Youth
01-23-2009, 09:24 AM
The Mans A Saint For Christ Sakes
Hahahaha

Hitcho
01-23-2009, 09:56 AM
That's gutting if it's true, but at 28 it would have been a big gamble for him to take in his career. As it turns out, he waited and got two more champiosnship medals and discovered just how big TFC actually is before coming here. When a player retires, it's the medals they count most. The memories (of playing for your home town club etc) come second.

Anyway, we got him for a good four years at least (and then as a coach? it'd be great if TFC could develop its own "boot room" and have a succession of former great players just keep taking the club forward as coaches one after the other). If he keeps his play-off record intact, then we're in for a sweet ride for years 3 to 6!

WOOO HOOOOOOO!!!!!

Jeff s
01-23-2009, 10:19 AM
I love this story. After 2 years they decide to tell the public about this "news":rolleyes:

where did this "source" come from?

And err Does Dero really have a say on which mls team he gets to go??

This is just bs imo

brad
01-23-2009, 10:25 AM
No big deal really, and no surprise. We know that Mo wanted DeRo at the start, and he didn't want to come.

DeRo mentioned in one of the interview I watched yesterday (I think the one on the Sportsnet site) that TFC were interested but he really wanted to stay at Houston and defend the MLS cup.

Plus, it's pretty much a given that expansion teams will suck. I don't blame anyone for not wanting to leave a Championship team for a team that odds on will finish dead last.

DeRo's here now, he wants to be here, thats what matters.

redcard
01-23-2009, 10:29 AM
All that matters is that DeRo is here now.

Next question will Tyrone give up #14? I think so.

Lucky Strike
01-23-2009, 10:38 AM

I'd imagine so out of courtesy. Still though, players who get a number that was ceded to them usually do something in return like taking other player to a dinner or some other favour, y'know?

denime
01-23-2009, 10:52 AM
Who Caaares !!

He is now TFC player and that counts.

deeznutz
01-23-2009, 11:09 AM
Big whoop, he won the league that year... I wouldn't have left either.

OOOOOOOOOOOOO we know that!!!! :p

brad
01-23-2009, 11:49 AM

Discussed by DeRo in the same Sportsnet interview. He said that he is going to have a talk with Marshall about it. That Tyrone is player that has been in the MLS for a long time, and one that he has a lot of respect for.

Then he said whatever number he wears, he'll give everything for it.