PDA

View Full Version : About the Referee for Saturday's Match

Lucky Strike
05-24-2008, 12:41 AM
Jorge Gonzalez: 17 games; FC/gm: 28.1; Y/gm: 4.2; R: 5; pens: 6

I know this is information already posted with the game thread but I wanted to look deeper into these specific stats for referees. I've been keeping track of them for the past few weeks or so. Here is what I see, compared to other MLS officials:

Fouls per game: low
Yellows per game: a bit on the high side
Reds: ever so slightly higher than average
Penalties: pretty average

So what does this tell us? He's pretty ordinary but challenges would seem to warrant a caution for less severe infractions as he whips out the yellow faster than others. This may be of a concern for the team who plays physically, and especially for players like Danny Dichio or Tyrone Marshall. Will fans at RFK help "sell" the call to the referee or will he be wary of a strong biased crowd and be more in TFC's favour? The latter instance happened quite a bit at BMO last year.

professor
05-24-2008, 08:09 AM
He does a lot of NCAA games on the east coast

He's ruined a lot of games because of his inconsistency

He's not FIFA level yet, I think he just got his National badge from the USSF last season

Lucky Strike
05-24-2008, 10:24 AM
Ruined? Wow. Everyone talks about officiating and how it sucks from everyone's point of view (nothing surprising there). I was thinking that it would be interesting to bring a top referee from a European league somewhere and see how they call an MLS game. That'd be interesting to see.

jloome
05-24-2008, 11:01 AM
Yeah, for one they'd stay on the play. Can't count the number of times MLS officials are 20 yards behind the play or at a poor vantage point.

kdzb
05-24-2008, 12:00 PM
That will be a great idea to bring 4 referees ( 2 linesmen + a centre refere + 4th official) from Europe to officiate an MLS game and compare with the level.
We should mention that to MLS and maybe they can send an invite to some during the summer (It's quite in Europe cuz all the leagues are in off season)